Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Starr

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

David Starr

Well he's the cream in my coffee, my favourite wrestler's favourite wrestler.....

I'm a big fan of the guy, he feels like one of the bigger stars not signed to a top promotion and has the ability to work great as both a babyface and a heel. He was fantastic in wXw in 2017 with his story with Walter and being one of the top wrestlers in the promotion, and by all accounts there's gems in the 2016 World Tag League that I need to see. His barbed wire match with Janela this year was fantastic and my favourite version of that stipulation. I'm not looking at promos in this project, but he's one of the best anywhere on the mic, I just don't know how companies on TV aren't sliding into his DMs to bring him in. Given the nature of modern wrestling, Starr is going to end up being one of the most in demand indie acts in the world next year, particularly in England.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: David Starr

Honestly Ed I'm not sure on David Starr either way. Alot of the work I've seen from him in Progress has been on the Comedy side, and I would like more of his skills in the Ring. You said he had a Match with Walter in 2017 and somehow didn't have to go the Hospital well that should be a Match I need to see right now.

Relentless Admin

Status

He has about 10 matches with Walter in the last 2 years I think.

He does dip into comedy way too much for my liking, that is what holds him back from being say a top 25 guy. That does give his serious matches a nice boost because you know a hot feud has killed his fun loving attitude and it's super easy to get into them, but you have to put up with lame putdowns and fan interactions. He's a poor Kevin Owens in that regard.

WAKE UP

Status

Poor man's Kevin Steen feels about right, my first impressions of him were that he was the wrestling equal to painful STD.

I enjoyed the WALTER match from the 16CG and another match I saw him have with Keith Lee - he seems to get cat and mouse type matches. Other than that I thought the WALTER match was 90% WALTER beating up a goof, and WALTER has carried plenty of goofs to good matches.

The Janela match has my interest atleast, but what else do I need to watch to not hate this guy?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

He to me is like all 3 BSS guys rolled into one person.

I feel like you said you weren't as into him this year at some point, Ed, but I guess you came back around at some point.

There are times I really hate his performances and times where he steps up & has great matches & even then he's honestly one of my least favorite people on social media & half the time he comes across like he's lost the plot on wrestling in general whenever he says anything so I admit I might not give him enough respect & actively don't want to watch his matches in the first place. I loved that WALTER match a lot & am willing to have an open mind on him, but on the whole he's another one of those "Top 50???" guys to me at first glance.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Probably a top 25 guy right now. No doubt number one worst social media of the late 2010’s.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    He to me is like all 3 BSS guys rolled into one person.
    I get what you mean by this, complete with the 'banter' progress matches that do nothing for me. He can afford to tone down his Trent side.

I feel like you said you weren't as into him this year at some point, Ed, but I guess you came back around at some point.
    Yeah maybe the first third of the year I wasn't really feeling him, and in general his last year hasn't been as good as this year, but around the summertime he started bringing it back around plus catching up on the OTT stuff I hadn't seen all year. His tag team with Jordan Devlin is infinitely better than his tag team with Jack Sexsmith, his British title shot with Ishii was really good, his feud with Janela was a big deal in Beyond, thought his match with Quack was the MOTN from Spring Break, wasn't in wXw as much this year but had good stuff against Zack, Jurn, Ringkampf etc.

He is wildly inconsistent to me, like he has one of my least favourite Matt Riddle matches ever, I don't care for the majority of stuff he does in Rev-Pro, so who knows he could stink his way out of my consideration next year.

Steve, try and find Devlin and Starr Vs Low Ki and Walter from OTT or Massive Product Vs Ringkampf from tag league 2017.

Relentless Admin

Status

I just got done watching Starr Vs Thatcher from wXw Back to the Roots 2019 and I'm starting to feel the hype that Starr's one of the best in the world right now. They do an arm focused match as Starr comes into the match with a preexisting injury which Tim exploits and it's just two great performances from both guys to get that story across. If they don't do the quick roll up finish when the match still felt like it had enough 5-10 minutes in it, then it's probably my MOTY so far.

Coming off the back of watching him against Orange Cassidy where he plays a completely different role as a huge jerk heel dismissive of his opponent's abilities, I'm not sure there's too many wrestlers in the world that are equally as great at being the hero and the villain of matches quite like Starr. No-ones coming to mind when I think of his range. If I get more of this Starr this year and less of the comedy stuff which is insta-skip for me, he's going to leap up my list.

Relentless Admin

Status

Watched the Eddie Kingston AAW trilogy of matches from 2017 today that I hadn't seen before. The angle is Starr in his 2nd appearance for the promotion gets a match with Eddie Kingston who is nursing a neck injury, Starr offers him to forfeit out the match but Kingston wants to find and so Starr works the match entirely over the neck like a jerk and wins. After the match Eddie Kingston hits a fantastic promo where he discusses being in a business that doesn't love him back the way he loves it and he's gonna have to step away to get his neck taken care of so 'David Starr congratulations you son of a bitch you just took out Eddie Kingston'. Everything about that first match was excellent from the match to the promos to the story. They then work two more matches, an i quit match and a street fight match that show Starr taking his deserved ass kicking before dropping to even lower standards to get wins over this indie legend but they're sort of bogged down with Jeff Cobb interference and the final match is Ospreay/Havoc 2018 imma kill you hammy at times. The action though is really good and it's rare to see hardcore matches that still have a deeper story to them than just violence for the sake of violence, such as Starr doing a brainbuster onto the ringbell because he's still focusing on the weak point in Kingston's armour. It's just another string to his bow that he's working this well as a heel and getting hated in Chicago when at the same time he's being wXw's #1 babyface desperate to beat Walter.

Starr might well be the best US indie worker of the project timeline.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Steve, try and find Devlin and Starr Vs Low Ki and Walter from OTT or Massive Product Vs Ringkampf from tag league 2017.
    Just watched the OTT match and thought it was really good, mostly thanks the WALTER vs Starr stuff, and I need to now watch the rest of their matches together. Ki and WALTER make a scary tag team and worked well together, but otherwise Ki was kinda on cruise control. Devlin is about as good of a worker as Finn Balor but the fans were massively into their hometown boy against WALTER and that got huge heat. WALTER/Starr stuff was great, WALTER just comes across as larger than life and a total world beater here. There is a moment where Devlin breaks up a nearfall and the fan reaction is almost like they were SCARED for what WALTER would do to their boy for it. Thought Starr was good baiting WALTER and he threw those lariats like he was trying to decapitate him.

I need to watch more of the good David Starr matches because the bad stuff I have seen really did stink and sour me on him.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Just watched the OTT match and thought it was really good, mostly thanks the WALTER vs Starr stuff, and I need to now watch the rest of their matches together. Ki and WALTER make a scary tag team and worked well together, but otherwise Ki was kinda on cruise control. Devlin is about as good of a worker as Finn Balor but the fans were massively into their hometown boy against WALTER and that got huge heat. WALTER/Starr stuff was great, WALTER just comes across as larger than life and a total world beater here. There is a moment where Devlin breaks up a nearfall and the fan reaction is almost like they were SCARED for what WALTER would do to their boy for it. Thought Starr was good baiting WALTER and he threw those lariats like he was trying to decapitate him.

I need to watch more of the good David Starr matches because the bad stuff I have seen really did stink and sour me on him.
    I believe that's the only time Ki and Walter team up sadly. It was an odd booking anyway, don't know where Tim was that night.

Have you seen Walter/Devlin? Walter in OTT is him at his best all year for me.

I can understand the criticism of Starr because there are matches of his I really don't like. I'll try to come up with a list of matches that I think might be up your street for him.

Relentless Admin

Status

Having finally seen Starr Vs Devlin and the most recent Starr Vs Walter match, I'm confident that this guy is the best storyteller in the business right now.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

If anyone wants a early David Starr match to watch, I would recommend his Gresham Best of the Best 2016 finals match. It's pretty great, and it may help people's thoughts on Gresham too.

WAKE UP

Status

Watched the David Starr vs Joey Janela barbwire match and thought it was pretty good. I really did hate Starr doing his shitty indy superkicks and knee brainbuster in it, they really felt so out of place, but I was impressed at how much violent shit he was willing to eat. I know Janela has a rep for killing himself in the ring but Starr looked pretty comfortable in this setting and they did a good job making usually tedious deathmatch tropes like the staplegun feel like they were part of a blood fued than a gross out contest. I guess the shit like superkick and goofy moveset are part of why I find him frustrating, because physically he's really capable but then he can ruin things with the dumb indy wank that I'd expect from Adam Cole.

Big point for the promo afterwards though, that was some Grade A heel shit.

Relentless Admin

Status

Yeah I loved that match. Props too for Penelope Ford willing to take the bump into the wire for the 'oh shit these two are going too far' spot.

WAKE UP

Status

This year's Starr vs WALTER match from 16GC was seriously great, best Starr match I have ever seen. Genuinely became invested in seeing him finally beat WALTER, thought they did a great job creating drama down the stretch, even the start was strong with Starr being super aggressive before splattering himself in the chairs on a missed dive. Really delivered that gut-punch of a finish. I came into this project with Starr as a guy who I said I would de-facto not vote for, but he is doing his damnest to prove me wrong.

Relentless Admin

Status

YAY!

Yeah I thought the Walter/Starr matches were terribly overused in different promotions in the last few years and they kept following the same formula, and then such is the strength of Starr's promo that he'll get me into the idea of seeing him wrestle Walter again at Carat. This was definitely one of my favourite matches they've ever had and continues their story by this time Starr learning it is possible for him to beat Walter and Walter had to deviate from his sportsmanship and honour values to get over the line this time.

Can't wait for his SSS16 matches to drop cause it sounded like he was the only one that made that tournament interesting.

WAKE UP

Status

who did he wrestle in SS16?

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    who did he wrestle in SS16?
    Spoiler:

Artemis Spencer R1
    Travis Banks R2 to a no finish
    Banks and Ilja in a semi 3 way dance
    Devlin in the final.

Banks isn't my cup of tea at all, but I'll love the final I'm pretty sure. Interested to see Artemis, never watched him before but heard good things.

WAKE UP

Status

this may be news to Ed's ears but Starr may be the biggest revelation to me of this project. I came in actively hating him, and am now atleast at a point where I enjoy him circumstantially.

This weekend I watched:

- a few Starr matches in wXw - nothing I hated but none of the non-WALTER stuff did much for me either. He seems a cut above the majority of the slobs on the roster but nothing I watched got close to him cat-and-mousing WALTER and getting mauled

- the Eddie Kingston fued in AAW - which I really dug and is a total buried treasure feud. Too much Jeff Cobb interference stops them being great matches, but they were all really good, violent, hate-y brawls which told a good story. Granted, Eddie MF Kingston was really great and made Starr look like a million dollars, but Starr held up his end, took some violent lumps and was a loathsome prick the whole way through.

- the recent SSST finals vs Devlin - which I thought was painfully boring and awkward at times.

I'll have to try to watch the recent Janela match soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information