Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AJ Styles

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

AJ Styles

An interesting candidate for sure, started off in 2015 working for NJPW & quickly won the World Title & had one of the best & only modern touring World Title runs going all over the place. In 2016 he debuted for WWE at the Rumble & especially the first year faced some stumbles but quickly lived up to what many thought of him already, as the best wrestler in the world.

He's had feuds with Roman, Dean, getting some of their best work, feuded with Cena in a well regarded feud, got one of my personal favorite WWE matches of this era out of Brock, even being put in to save a couple of PPVs at the last second including miraculously having a great match with Finn & Jinder, It hasn't all been peaches & cream for the Phenomenal One as booking has at times lost their way with him (IE, put him with completely trash workers like Jericho, Owens, Nak & a broken down Joe) & his title reign got some blowback although it was mostly the company getting in his way in my opinion.

What say you, WC?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: AJ Styles

Easy contender for number 1, a lock for best WWE wrestler and more than likely best US wrestler.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Generally not a big fan of his WWE run tbh. He has his great matches of course but I'm way more down on his matches with Roman and Cena (especially Cena). His 2017 was good barring the Shane stuff with good matches with KO, Balor and Lesnar. His Nakamura stuff was bad, the Joe matches were good and his Bryan matches have ranged from good to great. On name value, he should probably make a list but honestly, I don't think he has the output to warrant it.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

He’s number one to me. It’s the elephant in the room.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

He's definitely my number 1 wrestler of the year. Has endured some bad booking in the past but no denying once he's in the ring he delivers

Relentless Admin

Status

Well something will have gone terribly wrong for him in 2019 if he doesn't end up being a top contender for this. If you put aside your own personal beliefs on him, AJ won the WC Wrestler of the Year award in 2015, 2016, 2017 and finished in the top 5 for 2018 and who knows how he'll end up in that other than Nicky. That shows you the consensus of the people that vote on projects and awards on WC rate this guy very highly among his peers; if you were voted wrestler of the year 3 of the 5 years we're looking at, you're a #1 contender no doubt.

I'm most eager to rewatch his New Japan and Rev-Pro matches from 2015 to see how well they hold up but I think that adds to his candidacy for sure to excel in a different countries. He was my wrestler of the year in 2016 just edging out Chris Hero and I think he's been right up there this year in terms of best in WWE. I didn't love his 2017, that's his weakest year by far for me but there's the odd moment when he's great like getting the career best match out of Shane McMahon.
    Last edited by Ed; 12-25-2018 at 06:55 AM.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Generally not a big fan of his WWE run tbh. He has his great matches of course but I'm way more down on his matches with Roman and Cena (especially Cena). His 2017 was good barring the Shane stuff with good matches with KO, Balor and Lesnar. His Nakamura stuff was bad, the Joe matches were good and his Bryan matches have ranged from good to great. On name value, he should probably make a list but honestly, I don't think he has the output to warrant it.
    Doesn't have the output to warrant making a Top 50 list? Temped to challenge on this now and name 50 workers better than him over recent years.

I think it's more interesting to fight case against Styles. On paper he feels like the go-to #1, but I don't think he's been blowaway amazing or anything. I guess the biggest mark I can find against him is that he hasn't been great at carrying inferior workers to his level regularly. Though having said that, I did enjoy the Nakamura LMS and the one of those Joe matches quite a lot. Just not the whole programme in both cases.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I guess the biggest mark I can find against him is that he hasn't been great at carrying inferior workers to his level regularly. Though having said that, I did enjoy the Nakamura LMS and the one of those Joe matches quite a lot. Just not the whole programme in both cases.
    Two words: Shane McMahon.

The Wrestlemania 33 match was far far better than it had any right to be, especially as he did it without the amount of smoke and mirrors usually associated with Shane matches.

Shock Reviews Archive

WAKE UP

Status

Didn't even remember that. I wasn't really into it, but it's probably about as good of Shane McMahon match as you're going to get short of them having Daniel Bryan squash him in 5 minutes.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Doesn't have the output to warrant making a Top 50 list? Temped to challenge on this now and name 50 workers better than him over recent years.

I think it's more interesting to fight case against Styles. On paper he feels like the go-to #1, but I don't think he's been blowaway amazing or anything. I guess the biggest mark I can find against him is that he hasn't been great at carrying inferior workers to his level regularly. Though having said that, I did enjoy the Nakamura LMS and the one of those Joe matches quite a lot. Just not the whole programme in both cases.
    I should've clarified, I don't think he should make a top 10 list if you look at his output but I have very different opinions on his matches than others on here. Especially his WWE matches. A top 50 list? He'd definitely make it on that if I was to make it.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

His all time WOAT Title run really soured me on the guy. His second run as WWE Champ was even worse than Rollins and Jinders stinkers. It was a solid year of producing absolutely nothing of note.

Before that he was pretty damn good though, and even managed to show some personality as a heel.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    His all time WOAT Title run really soured me on the guy. His second run as WWE Champ was even worse than Rollins and Jinders stinkers. It was a solid year of producing absolutely nothing of note.

Before that he was pretty damn good though, and even managed to show some personality as a heel.
    I know it’s your typical over exaggeration but there’s no way the AJ title reign was that bad.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Fearless University

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    I know it’s your typical over exaggeration but there’s no way the AJ title reign was that bad.
    It was honestly (to me) the worst World Title reign I've ever seen. Every feud sucked. The Owens feud was all kinds of bad and those two have zero chemistry together. The Nakamura feud dragged on with dumb finishes, as did the Joe feud. The Rusev feud was filler. Everyone that feuded with Styles during that reign came out the other side looking worse, and winning those feuds did nothing for AJ either. It wasn't until he started feuding with Bryan that his big Title matches started really delivering, all his other matches under delivered. There were no memorable moments, segments, promos. The only thing that stands out is Nakamura turning heel.

So how was it not bad? Bad feuds, underwhelming matches, bad promos. And it dragged on for a year. Wheres the good?

Its not a shot at AJ Styles, I like the guy and hes capable of great things but that Title run of his was just garbage.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

The Joe and Nakamura feuds get too much shit. I thought both of them progressed fine. I’d say the only problem with the Nakamura feud was that they built it with the idea that they don’t have to write anything and let the workers figure out the story themselves. I think they learned that lesson with the Joe feud.

Underwhelming to some fans, but far from the worst title reign. There’s so way to seriously think that.
    -------
    Spoiler:

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

If someone thinks that AJ's title reign is the worst ever they've either not been watching wrestling very long, or they're just being typical low attention span of your average person in 2018 where everything is either the best or worst thing ever. It wasn't even the worst world title reign in WWE this year.

AJ's reign was fine. The feuds kind of sucked but the matches were at worst average with some really good matches thrown in there.

Shock Reviews Archive

Fearless University

Status

Again, it didn’t deliver anything, it went for a year and at best it had a handful of good but not great matches. A year long Title run with bad feud after bad feud, and no great moments. The best part of his whole run as Champ was the Brock match and Bryan’s heel turn.

In a year long reign a few good matches is not enough to save it from being bad. It’s the worst World Title run I’ve seen in 19 years with the length and the lack of positives.

Relentless Admin

Status

It was underwhelming, long and by no stretch of the imagination would I call it good, but I can't call any of his title matches bad. He literally won the title off of Jinder Mahal to end maybe the worst WWE title reign of the last 5 years and something that was driving fans away from watching the show. Over on Raw I'd say Brock did way more damage to his brand as champion than AJ did to SD. Kenny Omega in New Japan right now is having a worse run with the top championship. There's easily worse world title reigns out there than AJ's 2nd run.

Status

AJ's run was a major disappointment if nothing else, defending it against Owens, Nak, Joe and Rusev, all guys that I like, and the only ones I liked were the Joe matches which still felt like they should have been better. And I like Joe's contribution to those matches more than Styles. As big of a fan as I have been of Styles since his earliest days in TNA, I do feel like too many people give him a pass and make excuses when he isn't up to par. His reign was nearly as long and tedious as Brock's was on the other side of the coin and it gets close to no criticism in comparison. I legit had been waiting months for him to lose the belt before he did. Really disappointing.

But, having said all that, we still need to examine the work. 2015 and 2016 were fantastic years for Styles in my opinion. His matches with Ambrose, Cena and Reigns helped influence me to get back into WWE. In 2017 he was still above average and had some of the WWE MOTYs with Brock and Finn. And even as down as I am on him this year, he is obviously still producing at a higher rate than most of the roster, even if I've personally grown a little tired of his style. All things considered it would be pretty much impossible to leave him out of the top 50 and you could argue he should be placed quite high. To me, it will take some consideration but I think I'd estimate him around the top 20 to 25 for myself.

Fearless University

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It was underwhelming, long and by no stretch of the imagination would I call it good, but I can't call any of his title matches bad. He literally won the title off of Jinder Mahal to end maybe the worst WWE title reign of the last 5 years and something that was driving fans away from watching the show. Over on Raw I'd say Brock did way more damage to his brand as champion than AJ did to SD. Kenny Omega in New Japan right now is having a worse run with the top championship. There's easily worse world title reigns out there than AJ's 2nd run.
    Its interesting you'd say that about Jinder when the ratings plummeted even lower with AJ as Champion. Jinder Mahal indeed sucks but if we're going to blame him for fans tuning out we have to be consistent and blame AJ Styles as well. Just because AJ is more well liked doesn't change that its hypocritical not to judge him by the same standards, but thats the thing with AJ as good as he is he's put on a pedestal by a lot of people who refuse to see any faults.

Never said any of AJ's Title matches were bad, but they all under performed and weren't as good as they should have been. A bad AJ Styles match is a match that's just alright. There's also a lot more to pro wrestling than just ring work, no matter how badly some people want to pretend otherwise. No truly bad matches, but nothing else about his reign was good.

Again, AJs Title reign was the worst I've ever seen, that's my opinion. Of every World Champion I've seen AJ had the shitiest run, even worse than Rollins big Title run. I dont watch NJPW so cant comment on that, and Brocks reign is what it is, he's hardly ever there so it has no impact. The Title is quickly forgotten while AJ was there every week floating through crap feud after crap feud.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Its interesting you'd say that about Jinder when the ratings plummeted even lower with AJ as Champion. Jinder Mahal indeed sucks but if we're going to blame him for fans tuning out we have to be consistent and blame AJ Styles as well. Just because AJ is more well liked doesn't change that its hypocritical not to judge him by the same standards, but thats the thing with AJ as good as he is he's put on a pedestal by a lot of people who refuse to see any faults.
    I'm basing it on the sample of fans on here and on my twitter feed that blamed the Jinder push as one of the reasons why they gave up watching SD Live in 2017 after it became recommended viewing in 2016. It was more of a hardcore fans point than a casual fan one because WWE have run away a lot of casuals anyway through a multitude of reasons. I've never heard someone quote AJ Styles as a reason they stay away from watching the show.

Ratings are stone age way of looking of judging success and even dumber to apply it to specific wrestlers, people don't consume TV shows the way they did during the Monday Night Wars. I could use bad ratings to manipulate a point that the The Miz wasn't on SD last year, has been one of the most featured acts on the show this year but the ratings keep going down therefore Miz is not a good draw or pro-wrestler. It would be really silly of me to do that.

The company has more network subscribers this year than last year and are bringing in more money than ever in their history, but live attendances are dwindling - do you just attribute AJ Styles to the negatives but not the positives? They are a complex business to conclude whether they are doing well or shit, and with a set up where the brand is the draw, not the wrestlers outside of maybe Ronda, it's impossible to place the blame of casuals leaving because of one persons title reign. It's a generation of negligence on WWE's part that has eroded away casual fan support.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information