Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AJ Styles

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: AJ Styles

I don't see a WWE guy that comes close to him. Maybe Cesaro in terms of getting the best out of everything he's given, but AJ actually has the great matches to his name, whereas Cesaro has hypothetical great matches more than anything.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I don't see a WWE guy that comes close to him. Maybe Cesaro in terms of getting the best out of everything he's given, but AJ actually has the great matches to his name, whereas Cesaro has hypothetical great matches more than anything.
    Devils advocate 1 - Styles has great matches with great workers, Cesar has great matches with The Hardyz and Rollins/Ambrose

Devils advocate 2 - WALTER is a WWE guy now

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Devils advocate 1 - Styles has great matches with great workers, Cesar has great matches with The Hardyz and Rollins/Ambrose
    Styles had two great WWE title matches against Ambrose!

I don't see how that's a strong argument against Styles when his SD 2016 run had him having entertaining matches with people like Baron Corbin and James Ellsworth.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    He did the best he could against Orton. Probably overachieved if anything but definitely not a blow away performance.
    Story of AJ's WWE run.

Status
      Country                    United States

If Cesaro just had more notable matches I'd take him over AJ in the blink of an eye. I think he's all around just a better performer than AJ has been, especially since around mid-2017 where I feel like AJ just hasn't blown me away with anything since then and actually let me down on a few occasions.

That being said, since this is the entire decade being considered, I'm almost definitely placing Daniel Bryan over AJ Styles.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I honestly think AJ not being a big time Wrestlemania deliverer knocked him down a few spots for me.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post

That being said, since this is the entire decade being considered, I'm almost definitely placing Daniel Bryan over AJ Styles.
    It's only half the decade, of which Bryan has been an active wrestler for 16 months.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

It's only half the decade, of which Bryan has been an active wrestler for 16 months.

Yep. That's my bad. Though I can't say I wouldn't still be tempted to rank Bryan higher at the rate these two are going currently.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

The Bryan talk seems like recency bias. AJ was the best wrestler in the world in 2015, 2016, was damn good for most of 2017 and still good in 2018. Even if Bryan continues on the great run he's currently having he will at most tie the same accomplishment of one of AJ's best years (being the best wrestler in the world), while also missing the other great year plus an extra two and a half years of good work.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

The Bryan talk seems like recency bias. AJ was the best wrestler in the world in 2015, 2016, was damn good for most of 2017 and still good in 2018. Even if Bryan continues on the great run he's currently having he will at most tie the same accomplishment of one of AJ's best years (being the best wrestler in the world), while also missing the other great year plus an extra two and a half years of good work.

Well, I'd say from my perspective, Daniel Bryan was the better worker last year. He'll very likely be a better worker this year. As a whole, Daniel Bryan has just been a better worker than AJ any time he's been competing the last half decade. That's just my opinion of course but based on that, as long as he's considered eligible, I have a strong inclination to put Bryan over AJ. The year is far from over though. If AJ can inspire me again like he did in '16 and '17, it would be hard to deny him the top placement among WWE guys.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Bryan is having an excellent 6 months and before that was good-very good.

AJ had an excellent 24 months and wasn't sidelined for an two years either. It's not like AJ has been bad at any point like, say, a Roman Reigns or a Johnny Gargano. I don't see the argument at all, I really don't. Any minor difference in quality (and I think recency bias is coming into play because AJ was incredible in 15-16), is way overshadowed by the massive difference in quantity.

Shock Reviews Archive

Relentless Admin

Status

AJ’s a number 1 contender for this. Bryan can never be because there’s too much ground to make up.

WAKE UP

Status

I fully expect Styles to get some #1 votes from people who don't venture outside WWE much, but a quiet 2019 really rules that out for me. I liked the Ricochet and Cedric matches despite them being cut for time, but it's a weak year.

Looking back at 2015, did Styles do much of note in Japan that year? I remember liking the Naito match from the Dome, but otherwise I'm struggling. Too much Bullet Club nonsense?

2016 he has the Nakamura Dome match and the Zack match, then goes to the WWE and has one of the best runs of his career with strong matches against Reigns, Cena and Ambrose. 2017 I remember liking the Owens fued until they stuck Shane into it, he had the MOTYC against Lesnar, and a pretty impressive carryjob of Jinder Mahal. 2018, the Nakamura and Joe fueds are largely seen as underwhelming, but I still enjoyed them a lot even though they didn't live up to high expectations. He also had those great Andrade matches on Smackdown and the series with Bryan.

Then 2019 he is pretty much out of the spotlight, a whatever match with Orton at WM, and fun but brief matches with Ricochet and Cedric, can't even remember much else he's done this year.

Still feels like an easy Top 10 guy but where I dunno.

Relentless Admin

Status

His 2019 rules him out of #1 contention most likely, I think this is his first year with WWE where I can say he hasn't been the best wrestler in the company, although I did think his match with Seth was surprisingly good in relation to the years both men have had.

2015 New Japan is an area I do wish to revisit because other than the Suzuki G1 match (which might of been 2016, I can't recall), I was more annoyed at Bullet Club influences than anything so I don't remember thinking he was having great matches with Tanahashi and Okada.

WAKE UP

Status

The Suzuki G1 match was 2014.

What does it say that Styles had a better match with Jinder Mahal than he did with Seth Rollins?

Status

The Suzuki G1 match was 2014.

What does it say that Styles had a better match with Jinder Mahal than he did with Seth Rollins?
    It says you're smoking crack if you think that.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

AJ's 2019 hasn't done him any favours with me, and I'm unsure on him anyway. I, too, will have to watch some of his old New Japan matches to fully get a feel on him. His WWE stuff doesn't really wow me.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    It says you're smoking crack if you think that.
    Thought AJ vs Rollins was a boring workrate match. AJ pinballing around and selling his ass off a meathead was more entertaining.

Status

Thought AJ vs Rollins was a boring workrate match. AJ pinballing around and selling his ass off a meathead was more entertaining.
    I thought the Rollins match was at least a solid 4 star while the Jinder match was mostly elevated by the fact AJ actually won, ended Jinder's reign of terror and getting that massive pop. Obviously I was exaggerating because I see both as great matches, but I do think Rollins/Styles was a good bit better.

Relentless Admin

Status

Rollins/Styles was the better match, Jinder/Styles was the better AJ performance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information