Thread: Roman Reigns

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Roman Reigns

THE BIG DOG

I think out of everyone in WWE, he has got the most interesting case to try and think about where he would go on a list. He has unmistakable highs and lows, some of the best matches in the company (Vs Brock WM31, Vs AJ Extreme Rules) and some of the worst (any 2018 PPV main event). I think more than anyone we discuss his case gets muddied by company decision making; the infamous being pushed down our throats even though he rarely was a world champion, the horrible Brock Lesnar feud, being booked into situations he was never going to come out of looking good, the inability to show any character growth across 5 years.

I think he has to be on my list, but I highly doubt he'll be in my top 20.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Re: Roman Reigns

I'm probably easier on Roman than a lot of guys here, he really has been put in a position to fail more than any main eventer I can remember. But when he's given a fair shot he's rocked heavily. However, whatever the reasons, it's hard to deny this year was firmly not successful & with nothing to add next year, we're looking at someone with 50% nothing to flat out negatives. I'll probably end up ranking him, but it's not a lock, & I just can't vote him much higher than the back 10.

Status
      Country                    United States

If I'm going to defend Owens I have to give Reigns a fair shake as well. He is a pretty capable guy and like you said, he has some true highlights. His career would have been much different to this point if WWE had gotten the hint a long time ago and changed their strategy with him. So, as much as I have trashed him, I will have to give him serious consideration.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

It'll be interesting to see how his poor 2018, and presumably being absent in 2019 will affect him.

I love Roman and think he has tonnes of positives for this:

- best WWE match of the last 5 years against Brock at Wrestlemania.
    - Fantastic TV match wrestler.
    - A huge catalogue of great matches to his name. AJ, Brock, Bryan, Sheamus among others.
    - Good matches against wrestlers that I otherwise don't care for or don't enjoy in the ring. Finn Balor, Big Show, Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Braun Strowman. He's had the best match of all of those guys in the last five years (except KO).

I think he's got a very very good shot of making my list, even off only three years of top work. His 2018 was very bad, but even still has a couple of gems hidden away. Plus it's difficult to gauge how much of it is his fault and how much is due to his health.

The other cons are a few big matches that absolutely bombed. Brock matches in 2018, any match with Ambrose, the HHH match.

The other negative is that a lot of his best matches can feel same-y. He definitely has a formula he stuck too for a lot of the time. It won't affect how I vote for him, but others might take it into consideration.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Relentless Admin

Status

The way his 2018 was going, perhaps a full year in 2019 full of more shite booking would of taken him out of consideration completely

I think his biggest plus is getting really good matches out of very inconsistent wrestlers. Steve talked up Owens as Finn's best opponent, but I actually prefer the Reigns/Balor matches. He had a good match with Bray back at the start of the year as well as a Raw match with Joe that rocked. Braun has never looked as good as he did against Reigns. Wasn't too long but I thought he was excellent in the 2018 Rumble against Nakamura.

To those list of bad matches Shock there's also the Taker mania main event. I try to go a bit easier on him for the Triple H and Taker stuff because you're just not going to get good matches out of those vets now as other opponents have shown. It's the recent main events with Brock and Joe that are the more frustrating to me because we know they have better in them than what we got.

WAKE UP

Status

Unless you guys open my eyes to a lot of workers I previous wasn't all in on, I can't see Roman not making my Top 10. Great worker, though there are some bombs there, but I can't have huge marks down for bad matches with dinosaur Undertaker or HHH or for those Vince produced Lesnar matches. I think the Strowman matches will hold up pretty well and Strowman is a pretty limited guy (and I'm a fan). But I'd agree with Shock that one of the big Roman cases is how consistently good he is on weekly TV and that counts quite a lot for me. Him and Joe had a stinker of PPV match but had like a solid handful of really good matches on RAW that were way better.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I don't know if I'd have him quite in the top 10 by the end of this, but he had three out of the five years as one of the best wrestlers in the world. Not many are going to be able to claim that.

Shock Reviews Archive

Relentless Admin

Status

Just a bump to say with every passing episode of Raw, those Braun/Roman matches look like even more of a testament to how great a wrestler Roman is.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Just a bump to say with every passing episode of Raw, those Braun/Roman matches look like even more of a testament to how great a wrestler Roman is.
    For real. Braun seems like a guy whose stock as a wrestler is fading every week. I don't think it's just the Braun matches either, but also the Balor matches as nobody got such consistently good matches with Balor too.

Shock Reviews Archive

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I always respected Roman for those Bruan matches. Very impressive.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

There was a pretty awesome Sheamus match on the 22nd of June edition of Raw in 2015. Roman sold the back work Sheamus did very well and made some awesome comebacks. The crowd really got behind him (well, most of them). A really bad finish however. Playing a video of Bray Wyatt to distract Roman and have him run after Wyatt, because Bray told him to, is beyond dumb and totally overshadowed the match.

Also watched the Harper 12/01/15 Raw match. Snooze-fest with the most heatless of beatdowns and comebacks. The finish was neat though.

Relentless Admin

Status

I hate to say it, but a 2019 return is hurting his ranking in this, not helping it. They're giving him nothing to work with, but he's not rising above it either. Mediocre year at best so far for the Big Dog.

WAKE UP

Status

So what do we think of Reigns now he's back full-time and healthy? Enjoyed the matches with Rowan and Harper although none were Great/MOTYC level and the Buddy match was one of the best TV matches of the year. He's not firing on the same level as he was pre-break, but I'm not sure it's enough for him to fall outside Top 10 for me.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    So what do we think of Reigns now he's back full-time and healthy? Enjoyed the matches with Rowan and Harper although none were Great/MOTYC level and the Buddy match was one of the best TV matches of the year. He's not firing on the same level as he was pre-break, but I'm not sure it's enough for him to fall outside Top 10 for me.
    He's been a lock for my top 10 since the start and nothing I've seen has convinced me otherwise. Great talent who is having a really good year.

Shock Reviews Archive

Thread Information