Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew Gulak

WAKE UP

Status

Drew Gulak

Maybe over-looked but I think he was maybe the best of the EVOLVE/Catch-point grappler crew. Not as flashy as some of his peers, but clearly a top level mat wrestler, and seemed to bring out the best in a lot of opponents. Watching a lot of his matches I came away thinking he was great at playing to his opponent's strengths.

I need to watch more of his 205 Live run to gauge what he has been doing in WWE, but by the time he left the indies he was one of the best guys in the US.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Drew Gulak

A contender to make my list.

I think he was great in evolve but maybe didn't get enough credit or was seen as that big of a deal because Timothy Thatcher was the champion the promotion was pushing as the top man in that style, and then later on Matt Riddle just outshines everyone in catch point in popularity. I think he has some hyped stuff with Oney that I didn't see the first time around.

In WWE I think he's been consistently good but when I think about the best matches this year on that brand, Drew has less than Buddy, Ali and Alexander, but that's not shitting on the guy, that's praising those others. His title match with Alexander on the weekly episode was so fucking good. idk if we're just looking at purely in-ring work, but he's been fantastic in his gimmick too on that show.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

For someone who has not seen his matches outside of WWE, what would you recommend to watch?

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    For someone who has not seen his matches outside of WWE, what would you recommend to watch?
    vs Thatcher, PWG LEMMY
    w/ TJP vs Sabre Jr & Callihan, EVOLVE 54
    vs Hero, EVOLVE 70

I would start with these. There were a couple excellent matches with Busick and Thatcher in CZW and FIP but they were from 2014.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I’m totally on board with Gulak. He’s just so damn good.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I love Gulak a lot both in the indies and 205. His match quality has taken a dip since he went to WWE and I still like him a lot. It will be hard for him to make it because he's settled into good range on 205 and I can't see it getting better in 2019 honestly but if things turn around and he got put in better position I could definitely see him making a case for my list. Sleeper candidate who excels with his Technical abilities and at times subtle, but expertly utilized character work. I have heard some say he isn't charismatic but like his idol Hideki he just is more subtle than the loud pro wrestling way of utilizing his physical charisma. I almost always have enjoyed him for 5 years straight and regardless of how the list plays out he deserves to be commended for that.

WAKE UP

Status

Just watched

Drew Gulak vs Mustafa Ali, 205 Live Title tourney semi-finals 20/3/18

Is this the best 205 Live match? Has to be between this and Gallagher-TJP unless someone can enlighten me. Gulak was a beast here, putting on a real beating on Ali all match and making this feel like a fight. As much as they were putting over Ali with the weepy "guy fighting for his dream" stuff, it was Gulak's urgency and intensity that made this feel like a really important match. Final minutes were great with Ali taking nutty bumps and getting splattered around the outside, and Gulak violently tossing him into the time-keepers area like garbage. Very good match, are there any other notable matches from Gulak's 205 run?

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Just watched

Is this the best 205 Live match? Has to be between this and Gallagher-TJP unless someone can enlighten me. Gulak was a beast here, putting on a real beating on Ali all match and making this feel like a fight. As much as they were putting over Ali with the weepy "guy fighting for his dream" stuff, it was Gulak's urgency and intensity that made this feel like a really important match. Final minutes were great with Ali taking nutty bumps and getting splattered around the outside, and Gulak violently tossing him into the time-keepers area like garbage. Very good match, are there any other notable matches from Gulak's 205 run?
    205 live is awesome as hell.

Check out Gulak vs Tony Nese from feb 13 2018 and Gulak vs Ali 2/3 falls in 2017.

It was a mistake taking Ali from the show. Guys fantastic and his stuff with Murphy is amazing.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Just watched

Off the top of my head, there's Ali/Gulak 2/3 Falls on July 18th, 2017, Gulak/Alexander at either SummerSlam 2018 or the 205 Live rematch shortly afterwards (I forget which one was better), and the April 24th, 2018 Gauntlet match which Gulak shone in.

There's a few more floating around doubtlessly but those are the top three I can recall right now.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Relentless Admin

Status

Strong/Alexander is #1.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Check out Gulak vs Tony Nese from feb 13 2018 and Gulak vs Ali 2/3 falls in 2017.
    Actually yeah the Gulak/Nese match I preferred to Gulak/Ali. I think that's the best Nese match I've ever seen.

It was a mistake taking Ali from the show. Guys fantastic and his stuff with Murphy is amazing.
    He's been interacting with Bryan, AJ, Joe and Andrade since moving to SD and now he's in the royal rumble. Don't see the mistake there. He's been rewarded for killing it on 205 Live. You have to have some sort of progression plan on that show otherwise you're sending the message don't bother trying hard or getting over because you're stuck on this show with half empty arenas forever. They're learning from the Neville mistake.

WAKE UP

Status

Watched the 2/3 Falls match, thought it was OK. For a match built as high flier vs mat wrestler, there wasn't much flying or much mat wrestling! Plus the goofy finish with Gulak being afraid to go to the top rope felt like something Shawn Michaels would agent.

I'll have to watch the Nese match though

EDIT - will have to watch Strong/Alexander too and that Gauntlet too

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Strong/Alexander is #1.

Actually yeah the Gulak/Nese match I preferred to Gulak/Ali. I think that's the best Nese match I've ever seen.

He's been interacting with Bryan, AJ, Joe and Andrade since moving to SD and now he's in the royal rumble. Don't see the mistake there. He's been rewarded for killing it on 205 Live. You have to have some sort of progression plan on that show otherwise you're sending the message don't bother trying hard or getting over because you're stuck on this show with half empty arenas forever. They're learning from the Neville mistake.
    I should of elaborated. Its great for Ali but it sucks for 205 live. Thats where the mistake is. i actually want 205 live to grow bigger and become like NXT. Taking away stars won't help that. I wouldn't be surprised if the show ceases to exist within the next 2 years. I hope im wrong though.

Half empty arenas is WWEs fault. The show playing after Smackdown is a bad move.

Wasn't the mistake with Neville taking the belt off him to give it to a goofball? And also taking him vs Aries off the WM dvd which meant they weren't getting royalties. Neville was also fantastic on 205 live.

Strong vs Hideo on 205 live was great too.
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-20-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Last Real Man Hype

Status

This was my Top 10 from the time I was watching 205 Live weekly, starting from the tournament:

1. Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander - Semi Finals: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament
    2. Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali - 205 Live 8/5/18
    3. Mustafa Ali vs. Buddy Murphy - 205 Live 5/6/18
    4. Hideo Itami vs. Roderick Strong - 1st Round: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament
    5. Gentleman Jack Gallagher vs. Mustafa Ali - 1st Round: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament

- Cedric Alexander vs. Buddy Murphy - 205 Live 29/5/18
    - Drew Gulak vs. Mustafa Ali - Semi Finals: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament
    - Kalisto vs. Roderick Strong - Quarter Finals: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament
    - Mark Andrews vs. Drew Gulak - Quarter Finals: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament
    - Kalisto vs. Akira Tozawa vs. TJP vs. Buddy Murphy - 205 Live 27/3/18

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WAKE UP

Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21KVoHjeN8c

Drew Gulak vs Jack Gallagher, UK Title Tournament First Round

Truly great sub-10 minute match here, probably the best mat wrestling you'll ever see in a WWE ring. I have already accepted that I'll be the high voter on Gulak but I'm going to keep making the case dammit!

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Hate to break it to you Steve: I will probably be the Gulak high voter. He’s been incredible for over half a decade now. I finally watched him slaughter Bugenhagen and wrestle Riddle from last week’s NXT. What a clinic. Gulak fucking RULES.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

In terms of ability and talent, Gulak feels like a Top 10 guy, but we'll see. His indy run is really strong and is a massive piece of his case. 205Live isn't the most conducive environment to have regular great matches (crowds are dead, Tony Nese is a pushed thing), but he almost always delivers when given the opportunity. This year he had a stormer against Tozawa on the first episode of the year and was a big part of that killer 4-way before he won the title. His title run could decide it for me, if he has one or two slam-drunks I think he'll be there for me.

I haven't seen the EVOLVE match with Riddle yet though.
    EDIT - haven't seen him vs Strickland either which I'm seeing good things about
    Last edited by King Steventon; 07-28-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Relentless Admin

Status

See, I'm the opposite. I think 205 Live is the best environment within WWE to regularly have great matches because on the TV show especially they are always given time, the title is treated seriously, the commentary is the best you can get in WWE and they don't do interference spots. And if you can get a dead crowd to be into your match, that's a sign of a good worker in my book. Obviously if he was still on the indies we'd be seeing Gulak's full potential, but with him signed to WWE there's nowhere I'd want him more than on 205 Live. If he was on Raw or SD he'd almost never get a chance to have a great match.

He's making my list anyway (dunno how I missed this thread so far), but a great title run from now until December could see him break into my top 20. He's already borderline the best worker in WWE this year, but having more and more of these very good pre-show matches along with great 205 Live matches is something I'm really going to enjoy. He was great in Evolve.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    See, I'm the opposite. I think 205 Live is the best environment within WWE to regularly have great matches because on the TV show especially they are always given time, the title is treated seriously, the commentary is the best you can get in WWE and they don't do interference spots. And if you can get a dead crowd to be into your match, that's a sign of a good worker in my book. Obviously if he was still on the indies we'd be seeing Gulak's full potential, but with him signed to WWE there's nowhere I'd want him more than on 205 Live. If he was on Raw or SD he'd almost never get a chance to have a great match.
    I mean, yes and no. I just wish the crowds weren't 90% dead (not the wrestlers' or crowd's fault) and I'd love to see him mix it up with non-cruiserweight guys.

Relentless Admin

Status

I really think they should just scrap the idea it's a live show and film it either before Smackdown, or film a few episodes together at full sail or something. When Smackdown moves to Friday nights they're gonna have to make a decision anyway because 205 Live can't stay on Tuesdays at 3am GMT.

People's Champion

Status

One way they can mix 205 live guys in with the main roster is by doing champions vs challengers tag matches. Have Gulak and Brock team up. They can interact in the back leading up to the main event and then have a good 15-20 match with their respective challengers who are tagging.

Its mind boggling they havent done this. Its exposure and rub for the 205 live guys and it doesnt hurt any of the 4
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information