Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

The only real financial positive I think the Phillies get with a contract like this is...

It seems like a record breaking contract now. But that highest paid number gets higher and higher with each new deal. As inflation happens and the economy changes, $330 million could be in the middle of the pack for big salaries. So in 13 years, the Phillies could be underpaying Harper not overpaying.

The cumulative rate of inflation between now and 13 years ago is at 25%. This contract is equal to what $250 million would have been in 2006. Which is basically what A Rod got at his time.
    Last edited by Sully; 03-01-2019 at 06:31 PM.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I know people are on the fence either for or against the deal for Harper, but not enough people are talking what this means in general for Contracts in Sports. Before this deal Stanton had the highest deal and Harper trumped that. When it's time for the CBA for all Sports you don't think they'll fight for these type of huge deals like this in the NFL especially? Cousins had a all guaranteed deal I think I remember and what are the chances a NFL or NBA player gets a massive deal close to Harper one day?

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    The only real financial positive I think the Phillies get with a contract like this is...

It seems like a record breaking contract now. But that highest paid number gets higher and higher with each new deal. As inflation happens and the economy changes, $330 million could be in the middle of the pack for big salaries. So in 13 years, the Phillies could be underpaying Harper not overpaying.

The cumulative rate of inflation between now and 13 years ago is at 25%. This contract is equal to what $250 million would have been in 2006. Which is basically what A Rod got at his time.
    The financial positive is the low AAV so they can continue adding to the team. Inflation is irrelevant because the market shifts with inflation.

Forever The Revival

Status

Where did you guys see that Harper didn't get a no trade clause? Everything I read is he has a full no trade clause. Also I don't know if he's truly worth the biggest contract ever, but he is quite the get for Philly and he's going to bring a lot of fans into the ballpark too both that are fans of the team and visiting teams. I'm shocked to hear Philly is still interested in Kimbrel and Keuchel on short term deals, landing either of them on top of Harper would be nuts.

Also, odds of Trout getting 400 mil in his next deal?
    [IMG]https://***************/57909_s.gif [/IMG]

God's Gift to God

Status

Hard to say with trout. If he truly wants to stay with the angels he might take less on an extension. If he hits free agency it's so hard to even try to predict with how free agency has been.

His production is worth close to 45M a year but who knows. Maybe he's the first guy to chase the higher AAV on shorter deals and just try to win championships.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Well, I guess we know what Trout’s going to get paid now. Sources say he agreed to a 12 year deal (10+his 2 remaining) with the Angels for upwards of $430 million. Yowza!!!

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Tom Hanks Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

God's Gift to God

Status

Good for him, good for the Angels and good for baseball.

Inb4 Harper and trout and up traded to the Yankees

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information