Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

War Eagle

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

His WAR over the past few seasons, barring his MVP season has been quite atrocious, actually. Didn't realize Harper wasn't that productive according to the analytics.

Seeing that the Phillies seem confident in signing him now. My guess is he does get more than Machado and Philly backs up the bank truck for him since they apparently missed out on Machado. NL East is getting stroooooong. Nats are still good with that pitching, Phillies have upgraded quite nicely with Realmuto & possibly Harper, Braves with Donaldson and the young pitchers, Mets with their pitching.........then there's the Marlins.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CNEW2 View Post
    His WAR over the past few seasons, barring his MVP season has been quite atrocious, actually. Didn't realize Harper wasn't that productive according to the analytics.

Seeing that the Phillies seem confident in signing him now. My guess is he does get more than Machado and Philly backs up the bank truck for him since they apparently missed out on Machado. NL East is getting stroooooong. Nats are still good with that pitching, Phillies have upgraded quite nicely with Realmuto & possibly Harper, Braves with Donaldson and the young pitchers, Mets with their pitching.........then there's the Marlins.
    Harper's defense tanks his WAR valuations. His Wins come exclusively from offense. I would be super leery of giving him more than 6 years. With the DH coming to the NL you can rotate him regularly between DH and OF but you really have to have him in the right environment.

Like SunTrust where NICK MARKAKIS just won a Gold Glove based solely off positioning.

Calling it if I haven't already. Harper signs with Atlanta for 5/175 with an opt out after 3 years and 2 player options for 37 Million.

Markakis shifts to a bench/mentor role while Harper starts most games. Duvall probably gets released or traded.

IT IS THE FUTURE

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Norway

So Twins sign Marwin Gonzalez to a two year deal.

War Eagle

Status

Harper's already "reportedly" turned down multiple 10yr/$300mil offers. Don't see the Braves as players in this but a lineup with 1. Acuna 2. Donaldson 3. Freeman 4. Harper would be oh so delicious.

Don't see Harper biting on a short-term deal, especially if there are 7-10yr offers out there.

THEY COULD'VE BEEN GODS~!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CNEW2 View Post
    Harper's already "reportedly" turned down multiple 10yr/$300mil offers. Don't see the Braves as players in this but a lineup with 1. Acuna 2. Donaldson 3. Freeman 4. Harper would be oh so delicious.

Don't see Harper biting on a short-term deal, especially if there are 7-10yr offers out there.
    That's why he's still a free agent. He truly thinks he's worth more than $300 million cause he's a big name in baseball. Big fucking deal. He will never stop until an organization's stupid enough to pay him to oblivion to make him a happy camper.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18

Yooooo Mang

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    That's why he's still a free agent. He truly thinks he's worth more than $300 million cause he's a big name in baseball. Big fucking deal. He will never stop until an organization's stupid enough to pay him to oblivion to make him a happy camper.
    I don’t believe it’s about money at this point I believe he wants to be happy and have a chance to win. He knows he’s gonna get a ton of guap no matter where he goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God's Gift to God

Status

While the reports coming out that he's "unsure" of Philly could simply be posturing by Boras, the Phillies not being willing to pay Machado what the Padres did is a little concerning in regards to Harper. Like it's possible they have Harper valued higher than Machado, but at the same time they could easily pivot and sign Kimbrel and Keuchel for the same amount of guaranteed money that it would cost for Harper in a single year. And they could tighten up their team a lot more.

I still expect Harper to sign with the Phillies. However, if the long-term deals aren't really out there aside from Philly and Harper REALLY doesn't want to play there...then the possibilities are endless. The Braves reportedly offered Machado 3/90. I think they'd be willing to do something a little more for Harper. I'm not riding this wave of discontent that a lot of Braves fans are saying we were lied to about the money being spent or anything like that.

I absolutely think it's possible the Braves have been in on Harper this entire time. If you offer him opt-outs after years 2 and 3 and get solid production from him and he leaves then so be it.

So the long term deal is probably gonna be there for him from someone. But don't sleep on the short-term, record AAV deals either.

Thread Information