Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

God's Gift to God

Status

Re: 2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

They reportedly offered 10 years/300 Million before he even became a free agent. If he really wanted to stay I think he would have taken it. Really they don't need him. With Soto turning into Honus Wagner and Robles ready to go it seems like a wasteful investment.

Like yeah he's Bryce Harper and I want the Braves to sign him. But we don't have 3 starting caliber outfielders. Eaton is injury prone so I guess you could compare him to Markakis because of age or whatever but idk.

Ownership probably wants to ball out before they die.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

I don't think Washington wants to invest more either. They offered the 300 million contract to save face with their fans, but there are better ways to use that money and help the franchise move beyond the divisional round. At some point, that $30 million a year looks bad when Harper is 34 years old and a terrible defensive outfielder. You're paying him that money for the first half of the contract, not the second half. I think that money can be used more wisely.

I also sound like Neal Huntington as I type this and get ready for me to sell y'all on Lonnie Chisenhall and Francisco Liriano at cheap prices.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    I don't think Washington wants to invest more either. They offered the 300 million contract to save face with their fans, but there are better ways to use that money and help the franchise move beyond the divisional round. At some point, that $30 million a year looks bad when Harper is 34 years old and a terrible defensive outfielder. You're paying him that money for the first half of the contract, not the second half. I think that money can be used more wisely.

I also sound like Neal Huntington as I type this and get ready for me to sell y'all on Lonnie Chisenhall and Francisco Liriano at cheap prices.
    Chisenhall is very underrated as a role player. He'll be like like Serpico was for us but better.

I heard a rumor that we were a mystery team in the hunt for Machado. That would be amazing, but it's very uncharacteristic for us. I also heard a rumor that we are shopping Marte. That would be terrible. He's the best player, and my favorite. That would be very characteristic of us however.

God's Gift to God

Status

The Nats have SO much deferred money within the next few years I almost question how they could afford Harper at all. I think they basically have to choose between Rendon and Harper at this point.

God's Gift to God

Status

Goldy and sully sign up for the fantasy dynasty baseball league you sexy bitches

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Chisenhall is very underrated as a role player. He'll be like like Serpico was for us but better.

I heard a rumor that we were a mystery team in the hunt for Machado. That would be amazing, but it's very uncharacteristic for us. I also heard a rumor that we are shopping Marte. That would be terrible. He's the best player, and my favorite. That would be very characteristic of us however.
    I heard the Machado crap and if we was in on it and happened to get him I bet the fans would change their stance on them being cheap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

The Pirates aren't in on Machado. lol. They're more likely to sign Keuchel.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah, the day the Pirates sign a high-priced free-agent is the day baseball dies. It would take an absolute CRASH of the free agent market for the Pirates to do something like that and would surely be followed by a strike.

I don't think they're seriously in on any of the remaining big free agents. I could see them signing someone like Evan Gattis because that wouldn't make a lot of sense for them and he will find a job eventually. But I definitely don't see them on Machado and I'd be hella surprised if they signed Dallas, too.

THEY COULD'VE BEEN GODS~!!!

Status

HoHo's gonna love the news out of Philadelphia.

ESPN's saying that Aaron Nola and the Phillies have a agreed to a four-year contraction extension for $45 million.

Smart investment for the Phillies to keep him for four more years after a breakout year last season.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post

ESPN's saying that Aaron Nola and the Phillies have a agreed to a four-year contraction extension for $45 million.

Smart investment for the Phillies to keep him for four more years after a breakout year last season.
    Wow
    That is a huge contract for one good season

God's Gift to God

Status

He's one of the best pitchers in the NL and still very young. This isn't even a huge contract it's 45M over the 4 years. That's an insane bargain and a sign he wants to stay in Philly.

Status

That's actually an insanely team friendly contract, and he's definitely leaving money on the table.

Interesting structure, too.

Nola's new deal calls for him to get a $2 million signing bonus and salaries of $4 million this season, $8 million in 2020, $11.75 million in 2021 and $15 million in 2022. The club option is for $16 million.

In contract look at the Contract the Red Sox gave Nathan Eovaldi

Nathan Eovaldi, Red Sox Agree to 4-Year Contract Reportedly Worth $67.5M

Eovaldi is coming off one of his best MLB seasons and a playoff run to remember with Boston.

In 22 appearances (21 starts) split between the Tampa Bay Rays and Red Sox, the 28-year-old righty went 6-7 with a 3.81 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 101 strikeouts in 111 innings.

His stint in Boston was especially good with a 3-3 mark, 3.33 ERA and 48 strikeouts in 54 innings pitched.

All told, he went 2-1 with a 1.61 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 16 strikeouts in 22.1 innings en route to the Red Sox's fourth World Series title since 2004.
    Now that's a contract that is scary to me.

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post

I call the Nola deal a Hometown Discount with those numbers when you breakdown the deal. Still good to see Nola stay on longer, hopefully his 17 win Season this past Season wasn't just a fluke and more of what's to come for his Career.

Machado and Harper time to sign with someone by the end of the week please first Games for Spring Training happen next week

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

God's Gift to God

Status

There's no way the Eovaldi deal turns out well. Baseball Gods are so cruel he'll probably blow out his shoulder this year after signing the deal.

Backyarder

Status

That Nola contract is a win for the Phillies. Your best pitcher/player is very affordable. After this offseason, I think a lot of players are going to try to sign extensions early, which will generally benefit the team. Players don't want to go to FA after this offseason and the last one. Work stoppage is a coming.

God's Gift to God

Status

I'm hopeful that the owners understand that can't happen. Player's Union has to give ground on understanding that those crazy stupid 10 year deals for insane dollars aren't justifiable and learn to accept how the market valuation has come in line with expected production.

Adding the DH to the NL will add jobs for players while increasing offense and potentially ticket sales. There's some give and take here.

What Harper and Machado ultimately sign for I think will truly dictate how this all shakes out. If THOSE guys can't get something in line with what they should then I think a strike is possible.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    There's no way the Eovaldi deal turns out well. Baseball Gods are so cruel he'll probably blow out his shoulder this year after signing the deal.
    Red Sox don't care, wasted money is nothing new for the Red Sox. They are still paying off Pablo Sandoval.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

The Red Sox don't have anything on the Mets though. They're still paying Bobby Bonilla $1.19 million every July 1st until 2035.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Robin Williams Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    I'm hopeful that the owners understand that can't happen. Player's Union has to give ground on understanding that those crazy stupid 10 year deals for insane dollars aren't justifiable and learn to accept how the market valuation has come in line with expected production.

Adding the DH to the NL will add jobs for players while increasing offense and potentially ticket sales. There's some give and take here.

What Harper and Machado ultimately sign for I think will truly dictate how this all shakes out. If THOSE guys can't get something in line with what they should then I think a strike is possible.
    No doubt...I wonder if Harper signs a short term 3 yrs or less deal and if Machado may follow suit. DH everywhere will prolong careers, but a lot of the NL teams will fight it until the MLBPA give up something. I wish I could say I could predict what could happen, but it was a lot easier years ago...at least for a little while.

God's Gift to God

Status

I think NL teams would welcome the DH with open arms. They're at an inherent disadvantage against AL teams that can carry a DH all year. AL teams with offense first prospects can actually extract their full value whereas NL teams either have to trade them or stick them in the field as a liability THEN send the pitcher to hit who is a liability.

The purists are the ones that have trouble with the idea. I'm all for it.

Thread Information