Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The guys you could show a picture to anyone whether they were a fan or not and they'd have a good shot at knowing who they were.
    Undertaker fits this description better than some of the people you mentioned, so I don't know why you left him out of the group.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Am i the only person who thinks the WMX ladder match is super overrated? Not saying it sucks.
    Nah, it's great. I don't quite have it at five stars (**** 1/2), but if anything, I find some underrates it.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I don't think it's a classic or anything and it won't be in my top WM matches but it still a very good match. Innovative and has a rewatch value that most don't have.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Nah, it's great. I don't quite have it at five stars (**** 1/2), but if anything, I find some underrates it.
    I have it around ***3/4. I prefer the rematch. But like you Jim, ive grown tired of ladder matches. So i think even if i rewatch them, i may dislike them more.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I have it around ***3/4. I prefer the rematch. But like you Jim, ive grown tired of ladder matches. So i think even if i rewatch them, i may dislike them more.
    I think it holds up nicely because it's not just some spotfest. It's a fight with a ladder involved. If more ladder matches were like that, I wouldn't have grown tired of them to some extent.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Wrestlemania X ladder match is superb. I love it, even if it's only the second best match of the night. I love the bulk of the Summerslam rematch more, but that one is let down badly by Michaels' stupid fuck up at the end.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Relentless Admin

Status

WWE added another collection of Shawn Michaels matches onto the network today, they've got their finger on the pulse of the hot topics on WC

Status

THE SHOWCASE OF THE IMMORTALS

The next two entries on our countdown are fittingly placed together since their careers not only coincided greatly with one another, but because their careers intertwined heavily and are forever linked to one another.

Our next two men are none other than “The Phenom” The Undertaker and “The Showstopper” Shawn Michaels! Two men who put in more than 20 unforgettable years in the squared circle for WWE. Neither man is without his faults, we can all recognize that, but when you get right down to it, the two of them have contributed immensely to WWE and our lives as wrestling fans. These are two wrestlers who were so dedicated to the business and so triumphant in their exploits that they were considered legends years before they would retire. As of this writing, The Undertaker still technically hasn’t technically retired and Shawn Michaels, for better or worse, may not have wrestled his last match either. When you think about men over the years who embody WWE, these are two of the first people who have to come into mind. They have massive legacies, they have incredible longevity and they are both extremely talented as wrestlers. These are two guys whose auras are captivating. These are also arguably the two men most synonymous with WWE’s greatest spectacle, WrestleMania. That really underlines what is possibly the biggest selling point of these two men near the top of this list. Both of these guys have incredible track records in the big matches. They deliver on the biggest stages (as long as they’re not in Saudi Arabia), which frankly can cover for a multitude of sins. If WrestleMania is "The Showcase of the Immortals" then these two men should never be questioned at GOATs.

I know both men have their detractors and that’s totally understandable. Neither man is my favorite wrestler. But, I do have a great deal of respect for both Michaels and Taker and I think their position in this list is reflective of the fact that while neither guy is the box office sensation that The Rock, Hogan and Cena might be, they command recognition and have enjoyed careers sensational enough to put these guys in the top five of all time!

THE UNDERTAKER

665 points
    25 points PS, 25 Points The EC, 25 points RED, 25 points Loocha, 24 points JT Grizzle, 24 points TGR, 24 points Thundercat, 24 points OMB, 23 points Jimmy King, 23 points Wolf Beast, 23 points Willis, 23 points Deco90, 22 points Grim, 22 points Kintaro, 22 points Baldrick, 22 points Zero, 22 points Ed, 22 points BD22, 21 points Nicky, 21 points sebsy, 20 points Mitch, 19 points MC 16, 19 points Shock, 19 points TedSr, 19 points Keefmoon, 18 points TCON, 18 points Fuji Vice, 18 points LibSuperstar, 18 points Postman Dave, 17 points Wang Chung, 13 points HoHo, 5 points Sicario

4 x WWE Champion
    3 x World Heavyweight Champion
    1 x Hardcore Champion
    6 x World Tag Team Champion
    1 x WCW Tag Team Champion
    2007 Royal Rumble Winner

DEAD MAN WALKING…

Don’t let Undertaker’s most recent exploits distract you from the fact that Undertaker was one of the single most daunting presences in WWE history. Undertaker hit the scene way back in 1990 and immediately made waves as a unique character with an impressive stature that had fans in awe from the second he showed he face. Unlike many entertainers who stick around past their peak, even to this day any arena that hears that infamous gong immediately lights up in anticipation of The Deadman’s arrival. He is larger than life in a way that very few could ever possibly mirror. He has a completely unbelievable character that by all means should have flopped or at least been played out by no later than 1997, yet we cynical wrestling fans choose to push all that aside and suspend our disbelief because Undertaker is that damn good and that damn cool. If you had the privilege of being a child at some point during Undertaker’s career you can remember that feeling of genuinely being intimidated by the man. You know, even if you knew that there’s no way this is a man who has died and come back to life and there’s no way he can teleport or make lightning strike or summon druids, you had that feeling of “well I better not say anything just in case”. THAT’S WHAT WWE IS ALL ABOUT BABY!

Early in his career, Undertaker made his name by demolishing jobbers and putting them in body bags. If that’s not making a splash, I don’t know what is. Fortunately, WWE had the foresight to pair him up with the brooding Paul Bearer and the duo was a match made in wrestling hell. He steamrolled his way to the top and would win the WWE Championship for the first time just one year into his career by beating Hulk Hogan. Just think about how huge that is. The title wans’t exactly passed around a lot those days and Hulk Hogan didn’t exactly lose a lot those days. Undertaker became the top champion in the whole damn company only one year after debuting, defeating Hulk - and I can not stress this enough - Hogan! This would make him, at the time, the youngest WWE Champion in history. Now let’s breeze over the fact that he was only champion for 6 days because that part is irrelevant. He would make history once more by main eventing the first ever episode of Monday Night Raw (wonder what happened to that show) in early 1993, having become a bonafide star by this point in his career. Also notable during this early period in The Deadman’s career is the introduction of casket matches, one of which he would lose, before resurrecting and earning his name of “The Deadman” as he pivoted to an even darker, pseudo-supernatural character, beginning with his infamous match against The Underfaker at SummerSlam.

One of Undertaker’s most prolific feuds began in 1996 with the debut of the unstable Mankind. This storyline was his most gripping to date and saw Paul Bearer betray him in favor of Mankind. This storyline would also see Undertaker buried alive once again, though he would return only a month later to defeat Mankind again, taking on the persona of “The Lord of Darkness” which he would sport throughout the Attitude Era. This was a new iteration of his character which meant more talking from Undertaker and a step towards his future persona of “The American Badass”. After disposing of Mankind, Undertaker would move into an even more prolific feud that would have ramifications on the entire rest of his career. This feud, of course, was against Kane, who Paul Bearer revealed to the world at Badd Blood: In Your House during the first ever Hell In a Cell match between Undertaker and - wait for it - Shawn Michaels.

Kane came to WWE under the control of Paul Bearer who was using the monster as a weapon against Undertaker. Kane was caught in a fire as a child. The fire was allegedly started by Undertaker. Though Undertaker thought his younger brother died in that fire, he actually survived and was institutionalized by none other than Bearer who raised him and had waited until this moment to unleash Kane and allow the horribly disfigured evil incarnate to exact his revenge against Undertaker. He got some measure of vengeance at the Royal Rumble when he interfered in Undertaker’s bout against Shawn Michaels, which happened to be a Casket Match, and locked The Phenom in the casket before setting it on fire. This would lead to Undertaker’s disappearance, before returning just before WrestleMania XIV, this time displaying a full range of supernatural powers. Most notably, the control of lightning. At “The Granddaddy of Them All” he has his first proper collision with Kane, in a winning effort. Not a month later, he an Kane squared off in the first ever (this is becoming a trend) Inferno Match, won once more by Undertaker. Weeks before King of the Ring, Undertaker and Stone Cold faced Kane and Mankind in the first tag team Hell in a Cell match which would lead into the third ever Hell in a Cell match, contested between Undertaker and Mankind. This match would be a landmark moment in both men’s career and made for some of the most replayed highlights of any WWE match. You’ll recall Mankind being hurled off the top of the cell and down through the announce table, and then even more devastatingly, absorbing a chokeslam through the top of the cell and down into the canvas! The legacy of this match still resonates to this day and will likely never be forgotten.

The next chapter in Undertaker’s career would begin towards the end of 1998 when Undertaker reunited with Paul Bearer, turned heel, formed The Ministry of Darkness and took on more of an occult style character. Though he was taking time off from the ring for much of this stint, his character development was significant and he played a giant role in the weekly happenings of WWE. Beyond that, he got a new, incredibly fire theme song and titantron video. The best of his career, in my opinion. The Ministry would merge with The Corporation and then the whole thing kind of got derailed in the most anticlimactic fashion imaginable when “The Higher Power” that was being built up for months was revealed to be Vince McMahon in a complete head scratching disappointment. But, what this era did deliver was some of the darkest moments of Undertaker’s long career, such as the borderline crucifixion of Stone Cold, the hanging of Big Bossman and the abduction of Mr. McMahon’s family. If this was Undertaker’s darkest on screen character, his next character would be his most… normal?

YOU’VE DONE IT NOW!

YOU’VE GONE AND MADE A BIG MISTAKE!

No subtext there.

Undertaker’s next phase would be that of “The American Badass” or “Big Evil” if you prefer! Quite possibly his most polarizing character, out of the many he portrayed, The American Badass saw him plow to the ring on a motorcycle, adorn an American flag and basically lay waste to anything that got in his way. Some people believe Undertaker’s match quality diminished at this point, and that might be fair, but he didn’t ditch the gimmick without giving us a few memorable encounters, including the ladder match on Raw against Jeff Hardy, the Armageddon Hell in a Cell match, the triple threat match with The Rock and Angle and his Hell in a Cell bout with Brock Lesnar to name a few. Sure, American Badass isn’t Undertaker’s best era but that’s kind of like saying Lakers era LeBron isn’t his best era. The man was still a huge deal and was able to play the crowd like a fiddle.

He would be reborn into the undead version of himself at WrestleMania XX. It was a welcome return to Undertaker’s bread and butter and I would argue the point at which Undertaker reached living legend status. He disposed of Kane at WrestleMania XX and then had a year full of Paul Bearer hijinks, pursuing JBL’s World Heavyweight Championship and murdering Heidenreich which was thankfully capped off with on of his most memorable WrestleMania feuds and matches against Randy Orton at the 21st installment of “The Show of Shows”. The bout with Orton would prove to be the first meaningful match in THE STREAK and set the bar for all the encounters that were to follow, though not all of those encounters would reach that standard. For example, the casket match at WrestleMania 22 against Mark Henry. Not his best outing. But the match was built around Henry’s promise to end The Streak which solidified The Streak as a thing that would become a staple of WrestleMania. In the lead up to the next year’s Mania, Undertaker would win the 2007 Royal Rumble by eliminating none other than Shawn Michaels, before choosing to face Batista for the World Heavyweight Championship, a match that would be a certifiable show stealer and the first of a string of absolutely legendary WrestleMania matches from The Deadman. This was also Undertaker’s first World Heavyweight Championship win. That May, Undertaker fell victim to Edge, who cashed in the Money in the Bank on him to take his World Heavyweight Championship. Undertaker returned to feud with Edge and Batista over the title, unable to recapture it. He entered the Royal Rumble once more but this time Shawn Michaels would be the one who eliminated him. Undertaker pressed on and would win his first Elimination Chamber to earn the right to challenge Edge for his World Heavyweight Championship. Undertaker notched his 16th WrestleMania win and second World Heavyweight Championship by taking out Edge with the Hell’s Gates.

The next four years would be huge for Undertaker who settled into semi-retirement. Though appearing sporadically, Undertaker had lost none of his gravitas. A feud began to take shape as WrestleMania XXV approached between Undertaker and Shawn Michaels who resented Undertaker and felt like being that he was “Mr. WrestleMania”, it was his destiny to end Undertaker’s historic streak. He fought through obstacles in order to get his hands on Taker and when the two icons met in Houston, Texas, they blew every expectation out of the water. In 2009, at the age of 44, Undertaker delivered his most well remembered match of all time and defeated The Heartbreak Kid in an instant classic. The loss consumed Michaels though. He asked for a rematch at the following year’s event, but was shot down. When his title qualifying attempts fell through, he resorted to drastic measures and broke into the Elimination Chamber to cost Undertaker his World Heavyweight Championship, provoking Undertaker to change his mind and accept the challenge from Michaels. However this match would come with a catch. If Michaels did not succeed in defeating Undertaker, he would be forced to retire. With all the chips on the table, Undertaker and Michaels turned in yet another classic, though Michaels fell short of his goal and was forced to RETIRE FOREVER~!

As you can imagine, this didn’t sit well with one man. Shawn Michaels’ BFF Triple H who sought out to avenge his fallen comrade and would battle Undertaker at WrestleMania XXVII but would also find himself coming up short in a physical brawl that ended in dramatic fashion. This brawl, while fantastic in its own right, would simply be a prelude to what came next year.

THE END OF AN ERA!!!
    (you thought)

At WrestleMania XXVIII, WWE went all in on Attitude Era nostalgia and booked Undertaker vs. Triple H for the second year in a row. But, they decided to go ahead and put them in Hell in a Cell, a match that the two of them made famous over the years. And just for good measure, Shawn Michaels would be the referee. You see, because then it’s more dramatic. This bout was absolutely littered with spots, weapons, emotion, conflict, betrayals, suspense and it all ended when Taker managed to spike Triple H and get the one, two, three from a shattered Shawn Michaels! This win advanced Undertaker to 20-0 at WrestleMania and ended with the fantastic visual of Undertaker, Triple H and Michaels posing together at the top of the stage as this would unequivocally be the last time the three of these men were together inside a wrestling ring!

Being 20-0 at WrestleMania is unprecedented. Quite literally. I believe John Cena is in second place right now for most WrestleMania wins and he has 10 (I believe). Just think about that. Then think about the fact that Undertaker wasn’t done yet! It’s starting to become repetitive but his next match at WrestleMania was a barn burner against CM Punk that was a runaway for match of the night. His next endeavour may not have been so critically acclaimed, yet it did provide us with a moment that will forever be etched in the memories of WWE fans everywhere. At WrestleMania XXX, the unthinkable occured when Brock Lesnar pinned The Undertaker to close the curtains on the incomparable Streak. It is one of the most unfathomable moments in the history of pro wrestling period. The match itself was hampered by a concussed Undertaker but the result left an arena of 75,000 in complete shock and silence. It was unexpected to say the least, and it shook WWE fans to their very cores while also cementing Brock Lesnar as one of the most legit guys in WWE history, being “The 1 in 21-1”.

Since that fateful night, The Undertaker’s WrestleMania exploits haven’t quite been the same. He would conquer Wyatt the next year at WrestleMania 31 which truthfully was a better match than the year before. 2015 was kind of resurgence for Taker and likely his last great “run” as he finished off a trilogy against Lesnar with two acclaimed meetings at SummerSlam and Hell in a Cell of that year. Plus, he reunited with Kane to vanquish The Wyatt Family at Survivor Series, 25 years after first debuting in WWE.

In the last three years, he defeated Shane McMahon in a Hell in a Cell, put over Roman Reigns and squashed John Cena at WrestleMania. This past year he has been more active, but maybe not for the better as WWE elected to rehash his old storylines and have him battle with Shawn Michaels and Triple H. What the future holds for Undertaker is a big unknown at this point in time, but I’d wager that he has at least one more big PPV match in him whether it comes at Mania or otherwise. And I’m certain when the time comes and he hangs up the boots for good, we will reflect on him as nothing short of a legend.

For me what Undertaker represents is a true legend who transcends generations and maintained a mystique in an absolutely unparalleled way. I would call him the most timeless superstar in WWE history because I felt like each and every time Undertaker appeared on my screen, something special was happening. That was an effect he had and he possessed that power to engross you for almost 30 years straight. Truly remarkable. Beyond that, his loyalty to WWE and status as one of the most respected men in the back further cements his status as one of the most important guys to ever lace them up. In a nutshell, Undertaker is just someone who is so immensely important to WWE’s history, he HAD to be in the top five. From the introduction of new matches, to the captivating of the audiences, to the numerous classics, to the unparalleled Streak… Undertaker is synonymous with WWE and hands down one of the all time greatest.

SHAWN MICHAELS

667 points

25 points Booty, 25 points sebsy, 25 points Thundercat, 24 points The EC, 24 points HoHo, 24 points Baldrick, 24 points Loocha, 24 points Deco90, 23 points Keefmoon, 23 points Recall, 23 points Ed, 22 points RED, 21 points OMB, 21 points Sicario, 20 points TGR, 19 points Jimmy King, 19 points Fuji Vice, 19 points PS, 19 points LibSuperstar, 19 points Kintaro, 18 points TedSr, 18 points Willis, 18 points Wang Chung, 18 points Zero, 17 points Grim, 17 points Mitch, 16 points Shock, 16 points TCON, 16 points Wolf Beast, 16 points Postman Dave, 15 points MC 16, 15 points JT Grizzle, 15 points BD22, 9 points Nicky

3 x WWE Champion
    1 x World Heavyweight Champion
    3 x Intercontinental Champion
    1 x European Champion
    5 x World Tag Team Champion
    1 x WWE Tag Team Champion
    1995 and 1996 Royal Rumble Winner
    First Grand Slam Champion
    Fourth Triple Crown Champion
    Hall of Fame, Class of 2011 and 2019 (as part of DX)

Just look at how close the gap between Undertaker and Shawn Michaels is. Truly remarkable. And fitting.

Shawn Michaels turned in a career anyone would be proud of, and he is rewarded and recognized here as the third greatest superstar in WWE history! While Undertaker burst onto the scene in grand fashion and demolished opponent after opponent, the path to glory was a little different for HBK who got his foot in the door as a tag team specialist as one half of the high voltage duo The Rockers after half a decade of grinding it out around what was left of the territories. Though the team did set the tag division ablaze, they never quite reached the pinnacle and Shawn Michaels had other ideas for how his career was going to go. So on December 2, 1991, Michaels decked his partner Marty Jannetty with a superkick and then tossed him through the window on the set of Brutus Beefcake’s Barber Shop in an instantly recognizable moment that sent a strong and clear message that Michaels was now a one man show!

Well, mostly. Upon turning heel and taking on a more narcissistic character, MIchaels recruited the managerial services of Sensational Sherri and began his hunt for singles glory. Amid a steroid scandal, British Bulldog dropped the Intercontinental Championship to Shawn Michaels at the November 1992 installment of Saturday Night's Main Event. Around a week later, Shawn Michaels would have his most high profile singles match to date, encountering Bret Hart in the main event of Survivor Series in a bid for the WWE Championship, which he would be unsuccessful in capturing. This would, of course, not be the last time Michaels crossed paths with Hart at Survivor Series. Later in 1993, after losing Sherri as his valet, another man who would be pivotal to Michaels careers would arrive in the form of his bodyguard. That man was none other than “Big Daddy Cool” Diesel, with whom he would form The Two Dudes With Attitudes! Things took a turn for the worst for HBK when he was slapped with a suspension over the use of steroids, taking him out of action and forcing him to surrender his Intercontinental Championship. In a weird way, it would turn out to be somewhat of a blessing in disguise. He would return to WWE to find Razor Ramon was now the Intercontinental Champion, holding onto a belt that Michaels had never lost in a match. Michaels would refuse to acknowledge Ramon as the champion and instigated a match between the two that would go down at WrestleMania X. Two Intercontinental Titles would be suspended over the ring as Ramon and Michaels clashed in a ladder match that would prove to be the first of multiple five star matches in the career of Michaels. Though Ramon won the bout, Michaels re-established himself as one of the cream of the crop and would be on his way to the top sooner than later.

The next item on The Heartbreak Kid’s agenda would be capturing the big one. Despite being very successful for much of the early 90s and getting several shots, the WWE Championship had eluded him for years. After he and Diesel experienced and ugly split, Diesel went on to capture the world title from Bob Backlund, making quick work of the champ and doing what Michaels had always hoped to do in just a fraction of the time. Michaels would win his first Royal Rumble in 1995 to set up a WrestleMania grudge match against Diesel for the WWE Championship at WM XI. Try as he may, it just wasn’t Michaels’ night, and Diesel was able to hold on to the gold. To make matters worse, HBK’s short term bodyguard Sid would turn on him the next night on Raw and take him temporarily out of action. The next year would prove tumultuous for Michaels, as he took on a face persona but suffered several setbacks in his journey, contemplating retirement at one point, only to return and win his second Royal Rumble in a row in 1996. This Rumble win set the stage for him to once more face Bret Hart for the top prize in the WWE. This time around, the two men would face off in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII which was an absolutely mesmerizing display of technical prowess and intestinal fortitude. The spectacle went on for over an hour and culminated in a win for Shawn Michaels, a moment which is forever immortalized as “the boyhood dream come true”. Not only did it cement Shawn Michaels as one of the biggest, if not the biggest star in wrestling at the moment, but it also embodied the shift of the company back to more athletically gifted stars who may not possess the same bravado that was the calling card of stars of the last generation, but could be relied on to command your attention with their proficiency between the ropes.

THE BOYHOOD DREAM HAS COME TRUE!

Unfortunately, due to his personal problems and waning health which had him contemplating retirement for years, Michaels’ was never quite able to fulfill his potential while holding the WWE Championship. Despite the numerous issues going on behind the scenes, Michaels would have notable and highly acclaimed defenses against Diesel, Mankind and Vader before his first reign ended with a loss to his former bodyguard Sid at Survivor Series 1996. This is a moment in time that will always be considered a blemish on Michaels’ record, as WWE intended to put the belt back on Shawn at the Royal Rumble and have him drop it to long time on-stage and real life rival Bret Hart at that year's WrestleMania. There were a few problems with that, though. First, Sid was having a pretty good degree of success as the champion. Unexpectedly so. WWE pushed on with its plans though and still had him drop the belt back to Michaels who was not considered a profitable champion to that point. As the company trudged forward towards WrestleMania XIII, Michaels saw a doctor who diagnosed him with a knee injury and advised him to retire. So, HBK went on air in February 1997 and surrendered his title in the infamous “lost my smile” promo. Though on the surface the whole things seems kind of inoffensive, it has been stated that Michaels used a doctor who wasn’t so familiar with professional wrestling as a sport and got a diagnosis that exaggerated the extent of his injury because he wanted a way out of losing his belt to Bret at that year’s WrestleMania. And he got it. The stunt caused a major rift between Michaels and others within WWE that would take many years to repair.

And… if that wasn’t bad enough… the controversy was far from over for late 90’s Shawn Michaels. He returned in a matter of months after knee surgery and continued to wreak havoc, becoming very belligerent on screen towards Bret Hart and getting into altercations with fans. No less, he continued to be an effective wrestler and on screen persona, forming D-Generation X in August of 1997 with Triple H, Rick Rude and Chyna. They began to wage war against The Hart Foundation as well as Undertaker, who had beef with Michaels over a wayward chair shot that he took. The two men met in the critically acclaimed first ever Hell in a Cell match at In Your House: Badd Blood, won by Michaels after Kane debuted to attack Undertaker. As much credit as Mankind gets for the beating he took in his Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker, all of which is deserved, we really don’t talk enough about the level of brutality that took place in this first one between Taker and Michaels!

This win over Undertaker solidified Michaels as the number one contender for the WWE Championship. The champion? Who else but Bret Hart.

Despite the very palpable animosity between Michaels and Hart, WWE just kept putting them against each other in high stakes matches. I mean, it was unavoidable to an extent, but damn… anyways, you know what comes next: The Montreal Screwjob! At Survivor Series 1997 in Montreal, Canada, Bret Hart put his belt on the line against Shawn Michaels. Hart had recently signed to WCW and was set to depart from the company by the next month, but was unwilling to lose the title to Michaels in his home country. An agreement was made between the parties for the match to end in a disqualification, while the title would be transferred at a later date. Well, that didn’t happen. Instead, Vince McMahon showed up and directed Earl Hebner to ring the bell and give the match to Shawn Michaels who had Bret Hart locked in the Sharpshooter, despite the fact that Hart had never tapped out. The fallout was quite enormous, as Hart’s relationship with WWE was immediately fragmented and both McMahon and Michaels would turn into heat magnets in Canada and elsewhere from that point on. The match, to this very day, is one of the most talked about and debated events to ever occur and would be a controversial final chapter in what many would say was the feud of the 90s between Michaels and Hart.

Michaels had little time to enjoy his third reign as WWE Champion, suffering a severe lower back injury that was going to require him to take extended time off from competing. His final bout would be a struggle for him, though he still managed to turn in a memorable performance, dropping his title to the red hot Stone Cold Steve Austin at WrestleMania XIV before riding off into the sunset. The match may not have lived up to the in ring expectations that either man were accustomed to, but the build was huge and the show turned in a great box office, thanks to the gravity of these two top stars and the addition of “Iron” Mike Tyson as the special guest enforcer. This match is one of the ultimate passing of the torches in WWE history as Michaels would not wrestle again for four years, during which time Stone Cold Steve Austin took the company to new heights and became one of the most prolific wrestlers to ever live. One thing that I think is worth noting is that although there was only two years between Michaels’ first WWE Championship win and his early retirement, he already cemented himself as a legend in WWE and had he never wrestled again, there’s a good probability we would still be talking about him as one of the greatest to ever do it!

THE COMEBACK KID

Fortunately, WrestleMania XIV wasn’t the last we saw of Michaels in the ring. Between 1998 and 2000, Michaels remained on-screen mostly as commissioner. After disappearing for a year and half, Michaels returned in 2002 to join the nWo at the tail end of its run in WWE. After the dissolution, Michaels would take on a long running rivalry against his friend and former partner Triple H who had now moved into the position of top dog in WWE. Their feud saw them do war in an Unsanctioned Match at SummerSlam, the first ever Elimination Chamber at Survivor Series (where Michaels won the World Heavyweight Championship for the first time) and in a Three Stages of Hell match at Armageddon, which Triple H won to temporarily end the bloody feud. Michaels would then encounter a young competitor who was ferociously chasing down HBK’s legacy. A man that he had some of his very best matches with over the remainder of his career. That man was Chris Jericho, who idolized Shawn Michaels and became obsessed with eclipsing him. After eliminating one another from the Royal Rumble, the two agreed to go at it at WrestleMania XIX. They turned in a show stopping performance early in the evening that Michaels would win. Though Michaels showed respect to his peer, Jericho turned on Michaels and left him writhing in pain in the ring after a low blow.

He continued to struggle with Triple H and his stable, known as Evolution, for the rest of 2003. At one point seemingly winning the World Heavyweight Championship, only for the decision to end up being reversed. With Michaels and Triple H unable to settle their differences, they continued to feud through early 2004 and leading up to WrestleMania XX, only for Royal Rumble winner Chris Benoit to join the fray and set up a triple threat match for the belt on the grand stage, which Benoit would walk away victorious from, a match that most consider a five star classic and possibly the greatest triple threat match of all time. The war between Triple H and Michaels raged on through the remainder of the year, until Michaels was sidelined with an injury, which served as the effective stopping point for the feud. Making his return at the 2005 Royal Rumble, Michaels began a feud with Angle which was rooted in the premise that Angle believed himself to be WWE’s greatest in ring talent and didn’t buy into Shawn Michaels’ nickname of “The Showstopper, The Headliner, Main Event”! At WrestleMania 21, Shawn Michaels turned into his third consecutive match of the night at the event when he an Angle went almost 30 minutes and tore the house down, though Michaels fell short and had to tap out to the ankle lock.

THE SHOWSTOPPER

THE HEADLINER

THE MAIN EVENT

Next year was same story, different day. This time, Michaels found himself battling Mr. McMahon after a dispute over the Montreal Screwjob rekindled their rivalry. They met in a No Holds Barred match which Michaels won. Many publications praised the match up and named it the match of the night. This rivalry with McMahon would ultimately spawn the return of DX, as both Michaels and Triple H had a bone to pick with McMahon and his various stooges, namely The Spirit Squad whom they routinely embarrassed and disrespected before easily dispatching the group i a 2 on 5 handicap match. The DX reunion proved to be popular among most fans, though it wasn’t without its detractors. It still provided a nice nostalgia trip and was met with raucous cheers in almost any building they traveled to. Once more on the road to WrestleMania, Michaels was seemingly audibled into the main event when his partner suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the event. Michaels instead would go on to face WWE’s top star John Cena at WrestleMania 23 at Ford Field which was the company’s highest grossing, most bought and second most attended PPV in history at that point. As per usual, Michaels delivered what many considered the match of the night and gave Cena, arguably, the match of his career up to that point. That is, until about a month later when Shawn Michaels and John Cena once again met on an edition of Raw from London where they went close to an hour in what has to be the best match in the history of Monday Night Raw and possibly the best match of either Michaels or Cena’s careers.

Now if the previous four years worth of stealing the show at WrestleMania weren’t enough for you, the next three would certainly put Michaels in a class all his own. As Wrestling XXIV rolled around, Vince McMahon made the stipulation that the next match Ric Flair lost would be his last, as he would be forced into retirement. Despite this, Flair challenged Michaels for a showdown at the Citrus Bowl which Michaels begrudgingly accepted. The match, though lacking in some elements, was an emotional rollercoaster and taking everything into account, delivered in a huge way and ended in dramatic fashion with Michaels telling Flair “I’m sorry… I love you” before creaming Flair with the Sweet Chin Music and making the pin to close the curtains on Flair’s WWE career. It is absolutely gut wrenching to watch and one of the finest pieces of wrestling theater you could ever find.

The aftermath of this match saw a few people take exception with Michaels’ retiring of Flair, including Batista. A brief feud with Batista was transitioned into a longer and more substantial one with old nemesis Chris Jericho who found Michaels to be deceitful and dishonest, and was furious that the fans would rather cheer that kind of person while booing him. What followed was easily one of the most visceral feuds of Michaels’ career against Y2J who put Michaels through the Jeri-tron and punched Michaels’ wife, before winning their blowoff match, a ladder match at No Mercy 2008 which was yet another match of the year contender.

The final (as far as I’m concerned) chapter of Michaels’ career came in 2009 and 2010 as his epic rivalry with The Undertaker sent Michaels out on the highest of highs. The feud was yet another case of obsession, as Michaels failed to beat Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV and went to extreme lengths to gets shot at redemption at WrestleMania XXVI, including putting his career on the line. He took the loss in his final match, as Undertaker continued his Streak and Michaels went out much like Ric Flair had two years prior.

This concluded a long and decorated career for Michaels who influenced countless stars since his ascension to the top of the card. From his captivating days as The Boy Toy, to his exploits as a Degenerate and his triumphant return as one of the most beloved superstars in all of WWE history, Michaels was a walking highlight reel and used emotion to draw fans in like few others ever have. His career is littered with an obscene amount of classic bouts, delivering through highs and lows in his personal life, and his feuds with the likes of Bret Hart, Triple H, Chris Jericho and The Undertaker all rank high up in the echelon of legendary wrestling rivalries. If there is a better big match performer in the history of WWE, I haven’t seen it. Michaels might not be a larger than life figure like Hogan and Cena. He might not be the technical wizard that Bryan and Hart are. He isn’t able to mesmerize you with an innovative high flying arsenal like a Mysterio or Styles. He doesn’t command a microphone like Rock or Austin do. Despite all that, I feel like Michaels is at least one of the most complete performers to ever grace a ring, with only a couple of names coming to mind that can rival him in that department. He has no fewer than eight WWE matches of the year, ten WrestleMania matches of the night, a couple of feuds of the year, and a handful of “firsts” in WWE history to his name. He was a legend years before he retired and deserves his due for impacting WWE’s in ring style for years to come and helping to contribute to the in ring style that is most prominently used in the company today. Michaels goes down as one of the most respected wrestlers to ever compete for WWE and a worthy recipient of his many nicknames.
    Last edited by The EC; 03-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Undertaker missing 666 points by 1 is pretty funny.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Relentless Admin

Status

Booooooooo you should of just released Taker at #4 and have others worrying about Shawn sweeping the board Those two are super close together on points.

I agree with Shawn just infront of Taker, I'm not gonna go into the Shawn stuff again so I'll focus on Taker. Greatest wrestling character ever, literally nothing like seeing him in person compared to other wrestlers, can get unbelievable reactions from the crowd by just turning his head or sitting up at the right moment because he's got such in-ring presence, he's a master at WWE's brand of wrestling. He also has a lot of reach as a superstar to casual fans, my mates who grew out of wrestling would ask me every March 'whats taker doing for mania?', he was literally the only guy they'd ever be interested in checking out his matches because the streak was a draw - even when he lost to Roman and 'retired' I had loads of texts from people who haven't watched in 20 years asking if he's really done with wrestling, he stuck in the memory that much to people.

However there are large chunks of his career that are incredibly dated, stale and not very entertaining and in recent times it's just pretty sad to see him. The older you get, the more goofy his act becomes, the supernatural shit is great when you're a kid, but when you're late 20s and Taker's trying to scare people with CGI lightning bolts when the rest of the show is serious, it's pretty jarring. There's also the issue of the inconsistent in-ring work and his promos being fairly repetitive. I get the feeling if Taker had debuted in the company in the modern era, he would of got about the same level of respect and adoration that Bray Wyatt gets.

I think the the most important factor in why I couldn't put him any higher is that he never feels like he's #1. He's a loyal soldier to Vince, but in terms of a hierarchy he feels more of a supporting character to Hogan, Bret, 90s Shawn, Austin, Rock, Cena than he does on their level. I think length of world title reigns and his gimmick lending itself to be booked outside of the main events in non-title feuds contributes to that.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Undertaker is definitely a supporting character. Funnily enough if he retired after Wrestlemania 30 I'd probably have voted him higher. The shit he's done since has tarnished his career.

Shock Reviews Archive

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Will still argue HBK is several spots too high, but whatevs. Taker I can buy as a top 5 guy, recogniseable enough to the masses (not to the extent of Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena mind), longevity, star power. Only slight against him is he was never pushed as "the guy" at any point. Even with the streak it was only the WM main event on a couple of occasions, and too many of his World title reigns came during the brand split era when every main eventer got a reign or six.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

On Vacation

Status

It's time!
    If you smell what The Main Event is cooking.
    And that's the bottom line, 'cause The Countdown said so.

Defining An Era
    The Attitude Era

Just like the previous two entries when you think of the final two spots on this list you can't forget about the other. These two are intrinsically linked.

Finally, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin have come back...
    to the countdown!

Two men. Two meteoritic rises to stardom. Too many championships to count. Three glorious WrestleMania main event caliber matches. Dozens of iconic Attitude Era moments. Six great years. When people are asked to think of what defined the WWF for them growing up during the Monday Night Wars they'd probably tell you The Rock and Stone Cold. Whether they were wrestling for the Intercontinental Championship or the WWF Championship or they were stealing and throwing each other's belt into rivers or driving crazy motor vehicles into buildings or running over cars with monster trucks you were always captivated by what these two gentlemen were doing and quite often they making that magic together. There's a reason WWE relied on these to main event three separate WrestleManias (I know the third match wasn't on last).

The Rock

693 points
    25 points TGR, 25 points Postman Dave, 24 points RED, 24 points Willis, 24 points BD22, 23 points LibSuperstar, 23 points Kintaro, 23 points Mitch, 23 points Nicky, 23 points Zero, 22 points Jimmy King, 22 points MC 16, 22 points PS, 22 points Booty, 22 points Keefmoon, 21 points Shock, 21 points TedSr, 21 points Wolf Beast, 21 points JT Grizzle, 21 points Loocha, 21 points Deco90, 21 points Wang Chung, 20 points The EC, 20 points Fuji Vice, 20 points Sicario, 19 points Recall, 19 points Baldrick, 19 points Ed, 18 points OMB, 18 points HoHo, 17 points Thundercat, 14 points TCON, 14 points Grim, 1 point sebsy

WCW/World Championship (2 times)
    WWF/WWE Championship (8 times)
    WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)
    WWF Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Mankind (3), The Undertaker (1), and Chris Jericho (1)
    Deadly Games WWF Championship Tournament (1998)
    Royal Rumble (2000)
    Sixth Triple Crown Champion

THE BLUE CHIPPER

Perhaps the biggest name this side of Hulk Hogan to have transcended wresting to achieve near universal recognition. This household name was always destined for greatness being born to wrestling royalty. The product of WWF legends and hall of famers. Son of Rocky Johnson and the grandson of High Chief Peter Maivia. This blue chip athlete came into the business a bonafide third generation Superstar from the get go. A fact WWE never let you forget. The fans never let Rocky forget either with their chants of "die, Rocky, die."

He came into the WWE as this happy go lucky babyface that was all smiles and took on the name Rocky Maivia. A cross of his father's and grandfather's ring names. Nothing will you endear you to the WWE Universe quite like advertising your nepotism. Just ask Charlotte. He came in with a rocket strapped to his back being catapulted straight to the top with a strong push out of the gate. Debuting at the 1996 Survivor Series becoming the sole survivor of his team and winning he match all by himself. Getting pins over Crush and Goldust to do so. Rocky clearly had the power of the company behind him. At first the crowd appeared to be behind him, but as we've seen with Roman Reigns when the fans feel it's a bit too much too soon they will turn on him in quick order. Fans don't like a wrestler being pushed down their throats. It also didn't help that Rock was pretty bland when first debuted besides a funny haircut and an overly bubbly disposition. By 1996 fans didn't want their good guys to be good guys. This was at a time when Stone Cold Steve Austin would be rising through the ranks not because the company deemed it so but because the fans could live vicariously through a superstar who was a bit a blue color and did what he wanted. Especially to his boss. Fans only wish they could tell their boss to fuck off, drink a beer on the job and maybe cause a little heel for good measure. Enough about Austin as we'll be hearing more about him in due time. In the meantime, the company continues to push Rocky a bit too soon with an Intercontinental Championship win over fellow future breakout superstar Triple H on Thursday Raw Thursday. The company's continued early push of Rocky Maivia was doing him no favors with the fans as they began to lash out the man that would one day refer to himself as the people's champion.

Despite the company not seeming to understand that maybe it should slow down it booked Maivia with his cousin Rikishi then known as the Sultan for a thrilling Mania debut at 13. What can we really say about that match other than it was on the same show as Austin and Bret Hart's submission classic. Rocky would have other meaningless feuds with guys like Savio Vega before dropping the belt to Owen Hart later that year. Rocky would get hurt in a match with Mankind that would turn out to be a blessing in disguise as it gave Rocky time to reflect on why the fans would chat "die, Rocky, die" at him. The Rock would now have all the tools he needed to become one of the greatest superstars the business had ever seen when he returned from injury turning on Chainz of the Disciples of Apocalypse aligning himself with the dastardly Faarooq and the Nation of Domination. This heel turn came with a fresh, cocky and sometimes oblivious new personalty that saw the people's champion often refer to himself in the first person and would now simply want to be known as The Rock. Rock was showing personalty we had never seen before that would not only lead him to the top of the mountain in the WWF but make him one of he biggest stars in Hollywood.

At D-Generation X: In Your House, a rivalry was born. The Rock would fail to take back his intercontinental championship from the man who was currently in possession of it, but he would go on to have one of the most legendary feuds of all time with Stone Cole Steve Austin following his loss. Raw Is War was heating up thanks to the efforts of guys like Rock and Austin because of moments like when Vince McMahon would literally strip Austin of his championship and hand it to Rock on the night after their first clash. The Rock was once again being handing things by Vincent Kennedy McMahon, but this time we were supposed to hate him for it. Surprisingly, this new ironically dubbed people's champion would start to get noticed and accepted by the fans. It would not be long before The Rock was one of the most over men in the sport.

The Rock would go on to have a fantastic series of matches with Ken Shamrock that often saw Shamrock snap on Rock or the referees. At the Royal Rumble Rock used a pair brass knuckles on Shamrock that only saw a 2-count and Shamrock would go on to hit his belly-to-belly finish to win the match before being disqualified after the Nation told referee Chioda he had used the foreign object. Following that controversial decision Shamrock would get one more shot at The Rock at WrestleMania XIV. A step up for Rocky after The Sultan the year before. Shamrock's growing frustration with The Rock and The Nation lead him to fail to let go of a tapping Rock so the referee called for the match and reversed the decision. Shamrock lost his shit and beat up the bloody lot of them. It was great. The Rock would not go on too long without getting his comeuppance as he and Shamrock once again faced off in the finals of the 1998 King of the Ring which saw Shamrock at last tap out Rocky as well as defeat Nation members Kama and Mark Henry to win the title of King of the Ring. The tables would turn a few months later when Rock was on the "outs" with Mr. McMahon and Shamrock was not and McMahon decreed if he did not win the Intercontinental Championship from Shamrock he could not compete for the WWF Championship at the Survivor Series. Shamrock would this time get himself intentionally disqualified by smacking the chair across Rocky's back and defeating his dreams for once of becoming a champion.

Shaaaane, pull up your paaaants, because The Crock doesn't wanna smell what you're cookin'!

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! All this talk about sphincters is puttin' me in the zone! It's five knuckle shuffle time!

You can't talk about The Rock in 1998 without discussing his meteoric rise within The Nation of Domination. After only a few months of aiding Faarooq in his mission statement Rocky became increasingly more insubordinate and began to refer to himself as the leader of the nation. He even went so far as to gift all the nation members expensive watches and whatnot with exception to Faarooq who simply got a picture of the great one. It was glorious. The night after WrestleMania Rock would oust Faarooq from the Nation and radically shift its focus. During this time period not only would the group completely revamp its image, but so would Kama into the Godfather as well as D'Lo and Mark Henry experimenting with more sensationalized characters. Mark Henry would even go onto to refer to himself as Sexual Chocolate later on. Thank you, Attitude Era. Not everyone was thoroughly impressed with the new Nation as DX decided to take the piss out of the people's champion and his band of misfit toys. This parody that even included X-Pac wearing blackface to imitate Mizark Henry is still remembered today as one of the more memorable parodies up there with the Wofpac's parody of the Four Horsemen that same year. This all lead to Rock defending his Intercontinental Championship against Triple H in a ladder match at SummerSlam in the Madison Square Garden. It's always interesting watch these old 1997 and 1998 shows to see how many times Rock, Austin and Triple H would battle for the Intercontinental Championship before wrestling only a year or two later for the WWF Championship. These guys were so talented they could not be kept out of the main event. The Rock would lose the belt to Triple H in the Garden, but he may have won something much better. He finally won the support of the WWE Universe. The Rock would come full circle at Breakdown hitting a double people's elbow on Dude Love and Shamrock to pop the crowd and make himself a new minted babyface and the number one contender.

Now on the outs with Mr. McMahon The Rock would attempt to seize the brass ring at Survivor Series with Mr. McMahon getting his way every step of the way. This was one year removed from the Montreal screwjob and Mr. McMahon wanted to remind everyone that he did not like the people and they did not like him in kind. If that was the case the people's champion would ever be the WWF Champion. If he was going to win the WWF Championship he had to jump through McMahon's hoops and win the deadly games. Sounds familiar, doesn't it, Kofi? I wonder why. Making him go through Shamrock or tossing Boss Man a nightstick would not stop Rock from making to to the finals to challenge McMahon;s chosen champion Mankind. McMahon does't like the people, but he sure loves Mankind. Get it? In a bizarre twist it was all a swerve as The Rock was always McMahon's Corporate Champion From the day he walked into the company McMahon always wanted to put the belt on Rock and now that he swindled the fans into backing him, he finally has his champion. Rock would tell the people that he never forgot "die, Rocky, die." At long last this 26-year-old was the guy around here. All he had to do was worry about Mankind who McMahon screwed over in the finish in a recreation of how he screwed Bret Hart the year before.

This new Corporate Champion would spend the next few months beating Foley silly and killing most of his brain cells. A brutal I Quit Match at the Royal Rumble that seemed to end when a questionable I Quiet could be heard from Foley. An insane Last Man Standing match at St. Valentine's Day Massacre and Falls Count anywhere on Halftime Heat that would see Rock crush numerous chairs over Foley's head and back, and drop him through several table and off many tall ledges through electric equipment and anything Rock could get Foley to bump on. Foley's willingness to destroy his own body to entertain the fans and make Rock look good finally came back to reward him when Mrs. Foley's baby boy was also able to win his first WWF Championship from The Rock on the infamous January 4th Raw in 1999. Foley really did put buts in those seats. The Rock would ultimately go on to lose the WWF Championship to his greatest rival Stone Cold at WrestleMania XV and fail to win it back at Backlash. The Rock realizing his alliance with the Corporation wasn't really paying off for him he once again went his own way and became a good guy once more. Long live the people's champion.

Feuding with Shane McMahon's Ministry of Darkness (and later on the Corporate Ministry) wasn't as fruitful as the great may have for as he failed to wrestle back his WWF Champion from Taker at King of the Ring or defeat Triple H in a strap match for the number contenders match. Rock consolation prize however was a Kiss My Ass Match with Mr Ass. Can you feel my excitement? I honestly feel Rock was a top guy and and one of the greatest ever, but all one has to do is look at how Rock is treated in later half of 1999 while Austin is still being treated as the top guy despite needing a neck surgery he'd put off the nearly the whole year. The Rock wouldn't really ever carry the company unless Austin wasn't around as was the case he was out following his neck surgery in late 1999 until the summer of 2000. Once Austin was gone Rock really elevated himself to Great One status. At this point even Hollywood and shows like SNL couldn't get enough of The Rock. He was on his way to becoming the king in the industry and film.

THE PEOPLE'S CHAMPION

The Rock may have taken a detour after losing the belt back to Austin at WrestleMania XV, but that's not to say Rock didn't have a memorable 1999. Just ask Mr. Socko. What a time to be Alive to not only See Foley talk to people with his sock on his hand and then try to feed him to people, but to see him have some of the best chemistry ever with Rock. Rock N' Sock may be up there with some of the greatest straight man and THE oafish comic duos. Mick Foley showing Rock this is your life drew one of the biggest quarter hours in Raw history. Everyone wanted to see what these two wacky kids were up to each week. They even won the tag team championship three times from teams like the New Age Outlaws and The Unholy Alliance. They even took on The Big Show and Undertaker in a Buried Alive match on SmackDown!

The Rock would head into 2000 with a mission statement of becoming the top guy again and started that goal off by winning the Royal Rumble. Unfortunately, for the Great One Big Show contested the win claiming his feet didn't touch until after Rocky's did. Over the new several weeks several changes were made to the main of WrestleMania 2000 until we had a McMahon in every corner. For you see while Rock was looking to claim that spot left behind Austin Triple H rose up out of the shadows and finally won his first WWF Championship and in the process of doing so married the boss' daughter in Las Vegas. Shane had supported Big Show since he was screwed out of the Royal Rumble and Linda brought Foley out of retirement for reasons (I guess because he never got a WrestleMania main event). This left Vince McMahon in the corner of The Rock. Things would not go his way when Vince being Vince would turn on the great one and side with his new son-in-law embracing the McMahon-Helmsley Era in WWE. While Mania wins always eluded him he did not stop pursuing the championship or Triple H and won back the gold at Backlash when Austin helped him defeat Triple H in a way making up for the time he cost the Rock his championship on that infamous January 4, 1999 Raw to Mick Foley.

He did it for The Rock. After nearly a year w'ed find out who ran over Stone Cold Steve Austin and it was none other than The Rock's cousin Rikishi. Who claimed he did it for his cousin because WWE only ever pushed the great white hope. With Austin out of the picture Rikishi knew Rocky would be able to fill the void. Rikishi despite his best intentions would accidentally cost The Rock the WWF Championship at No Mercy when he was challenged by newcomer Kurt Angle. The Rock was not happy with as he repeatedly told Rikishi not to interfere on his behalf. He never asked for his help and he certainly never asked him to run Austin over. The Rock would subsequently put Rikiski in his place at Survivor Series and win back his WWF Championship from Kurt Angle at the following year's No Way Out. With Rikishi now in his rear view mirror it was now time to finally find out who the ace of WWF was. Austin was no longer out with an injury and he won the Royal rumble for the right to face him at WrestleMania X-Seven. Was Rikishi right or can he dethrone Austin as the top guy to retain his WWF Championship. Austin told The Rock in no uncertain terms that he needed to win the WWF Championship and he would do anything to do so. At 17 the unthinkable happened and Austin and McMahon finally put aside their differences when McMahon helped Austin beat The Rock with a chair to win back his WWF Championship and The Rock was then suspended so he could film his first movie The Mummy Returns as The Scorpion King. In a twist of irony Vince McMahon would be stung by not only his son when he purchased WCW right from under nose, but from the man he conspired with against The Rock. Austin turned on McMahon and sided with Shane in the war between WWF and WCW. The only person Vince McMahon could rely on to save the WWF was the very man he banished. He didn't just need a miracle, he needed The Rock. The Rock did ultimately return to lead the WWF in victory over WCW and Austin when someone else finally cost Austin a match against The Rock. WCW was gone and Austin was a god guy again somehow.

After a tumulchuous year for The Rock he was looking to make 2002 his year and was granted a match with the first-ever Undisputed Champion at the Royal Rumble, but failed to with the big one. Jericho seemingly had his number being able to win his first World Title from The Rock in October last year and then again to unify the WWF and WCW Championships at Vengeance. The Rock would then go on to great the nWo at No Way Out when Vince McMahon decided to interject the WWF with poison to prevent Ric Flair from killing it. Wrestling logic. Hogan wanted an autograph from the great one and instead got a good dressing down like only the people's champion can do. Hollywood Hogan didn't appreciate the slight and subsequently started a campaign to make The Rock their first casualty in the WWF. The attacked him with a wrench and then when he was carted out by ambulance Hogan drove a mac truck into it while The Rock was still inside. This was some riveting television at the time. This would lead to the now iconic Icon versus Icon match at WrestleMania X8. The crowd was solidly behind the Hulkster that night in Toronto. They wanted no part in Rocky. Despite losing the match Rock that night, Hogan won back his fans he lost nearly 10 years ago. The Rock enticed Hogan to leave the nWo and become Hulk Hogan once again and he did to massive pops. Hogan would have one hell of a nostalgia run in 2002 partially in thanks to Rocky. The Rock would go on to win the Undisputed Championship from the Undertaker for a record 7th time before dropping it to the next big thing. Rock would leave again for Hollywood and return in 2003 with a brand new Hollywood attitude that did not endear him to the fans. The Rock was now Hollywood and all he wanted was the one win against Austin at WrestleMania that eluded him and then he'd leave us mere mortals behind to do films full-time. He'd come back every once in a while to remind us why he was the most electrifying entertainer in sports entertainment including two more WrestleMania main events against John Cena and one last WWE Championship win against CM Punk before retiring as of this moment from the ring. His career will always be remembered by the million and millions of the Rock's fans.

Stone Cold Steve Austin

737 points

25 points Jimmy King, 25 points HoHo, 25 points TedSr, 25 points Willis, 25 points Keefmoon, 25 points Nicky, 25 points Deco90, 25 points Ed, 25 points Sicario, 24 points Kintaro, 24 points Fuji Vice, 24 points MC 16, 24 points Shock, 24 points PS, 24 points LibSuperstar, 24 points Wolf Beast, 24 points Recall, 24 points Mitch, 24 points Zero, 23 points The EC, 23 points RED, 23 points Grim, 23 points Booty, 23 points Baldrick, 23 points Loocha, 23 points Postman Dave, 23 points BD22, 22 points TGR, 22 points Wang Chung, 19 points Thundercat, 15 points TCON, 10 points OMB

WWF Championship (6 times)
    WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)
    Million Dollar Championship (1 time)
    WWF Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Shawn Michaels (1), Dude Love (1), The Undertaker (1), and Triple H (1)
    King of the Ring (1996)
    Royal Rumble (1997, 1998, 2001)
    WWE Hall of Fame (Class of 2009)
    Fifth Triple Crown Champion

We saw how WWE would push Rocky Maivia right out of the gate, but how did the future greatest WWE superstar of all time debut for the World Wrestling Federation? As The Ringmaster. Wait, that can't be right? Nope, it is. While perhaps not a gimmick that suited Austin's personalty he was paired with Ted DiBiase and given the Million Dollar Championship. Much like The Rock Austin would have an early program with Savio Vega to cut his teeth. They had a series of matches that included his debut on WrestleMania and a strap match at Beware of Dog. Austin would subsequently lose said strap match, but in doing so he would rid himself of Ted DiBiase who was leaving for WCW. This would be a huge blessing in disguise as without his manager he had no reason to be The Ringmaster. Austin would soon change his whole persona and become Stone Cold.

Austin's happy accidents didn't stop there as Triple H was scheduled to win the King of the Ring that year but due his role in the curtain call honor would now be Austin's. This would prove to be a pivotal moment in he rise of Stone Cold as it was the birth of Austin 3:16. Defeating the religious Jake Roberts in the finals of the King of the Ring Austin would cut a now infamous promo where he would tell Roberts "You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your Psalms, talk about John 3:16... Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!" Austins stardom after that took off like gangbusters. There weren't too many slogans or catchphrases more marketable than Austin 3:16 in wrestling. Stone Cold Steve Austin was now in it.

What will Austin now do to cement his new status in he company? Invade his best friend's house and watch as Pillman brandished a gun in his face? That happened, sure, but I'm thinking more along the lines of start some shit with the man that liked to say he was the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be. Austin was gunning for that WWF Championship and he had to go through Bret at the Survivor Series to get it. Unfortunately for Austin he'd come up short here when Hart would turn his Million Dollar Dream into a pin. Why are you still doing that, Austin? You can't get rid of Austin that easily as he was a thorn in Bret's side causing him to lose a WWF Championship match against Sycho Sid. This would set up their now classic submission match at WrestleMania 13 that would see the rare double turn in professional wrestling. Austin had endeared himself to the fans through his brutal fights with Bret Hart and Hart was becoming increasingly pro-Canada to the ire of the American audiences. Austin would finally get his win over Hart at Revenge of the Taker, but would ironically fail to beat Taker in his earned title match at Cold Day In Hell.

OWEN 3:16

Austin had not endeared himself to the Hart Foundation finding himself battling most of the faction for the remainder of the year. He would even find himself winning the tag team titles from Owen Hart and The British Bulldog with Shawn Michaels being his strange bedfellow. This would lead to an intense program with Owen Hart over the summer for Hart's Intercontinental Championship. The two would have a match at SummerSlam that would see Austin win the championship for the first, but suffer a severe neck injury due to a botched piledriver that would greatly impact and short the rest of Austin's career. So naturally Owen Hart wore I just broke your neck t-shirts after that.

As a result of the injury Austin suffered at the hands of Owen we saw the beginning of the friction between Austin and McMahon after he was forced to relinquish the Intercontinental and Tag Team Championships. Following that he would amusingly attack Hart flanked by police officers. When McMahon tried to tell Austin he wasn't cleared, the word saw Stone Cold Steve Austin give his boss the Stone Cold Stunner for the very first time. This would effectively kick off the most meaningful storyline of the Attitude Era and possibly in WWE history. Austin wasn't done with Owen not by a long shot. He wasn't able to compete, but he made sure to stay in Owen's business long enough to get cleared and take the belt back he never lost at the Survivor Series.

With the Hart family put to rest as far as Stone Cold was concerned he could set his sights on loftier goals. Winning the WWF Championship. Before he could do that he'd have to contend with someone who'd become his biggest foe of his career and constant thorn in his side: The Rock. The Rock and the Nation would blindside Austin and steal his championship belt like a thief in the night. Much like the Rock declared himself the leader of the Nation and willed it so, he thought he could simply take it and proclaim himself the new champ. Austin would begin showing his telltale trademarks during his early program with the Rock. The Raw Is War after Rocky Maivia stole his championship belt, Austin would show up to the arena in his Stone Cold truck and hijack the show by telling the production truck to fuck Rock when he was trying to cut a promo. It was all a distraction though as Austin would show up behind Rocky and beep him 3:16 as he told him he would when it was time to kick his ass. Classic early Attitude Era. Rock would fail to win the title legitimately at D-Generation X: In Your House and Austin would regain possession of the gold, but it would be short lived as the following Raw Is War McMahon would want to see a rematch between these two behemoths and Austin told him to fuck himself as Austin is wanton to do. Austin got the last laugh when he threw the physical belt into the Piscataqua River (which isn't that far from where I live) and would go onto to eliminate The Rock to win the 1998 Royal Rumble.

With his road set to WrestleMania Austin was on his way to becoming the WWF Champion and the biggest name the WWE had ever seen since Hulk Hogan. All he had to do was keep his ego in check and not piss off the special enforcer for his match, "the baddest man on the planet" Mike Tyson. Easier said then done. Austin immediately got his his face to establish he was afraid of him. This angered Vince McMahon who only grow even less fond of Austin's antics since the summer of 1997. Vince made it clear in no uncertain terms he didn't want Austin to represent his company. Things got more complicated after Tyson was named the special enforcer as he would seemingly join his opponent's brand of D-Generation X. With the odds stacked against him Austin went in WrestleMania XIV determined to walk out of Boston, MA the new WWF Champion. This was what it was all for. This is why he endured being the Ringmaster. It was finally here. Would Shawn Michaels do the right thing? Would this match take place? Would Michaels put over Austin after telling Bret Hart he wouldn't do the same? Unfortunately for Shawn Michaels he suffered a debilitating back injury against Taker in a casket match months earlier so this would probe to be his final WWF match for 4 years. Austin would dethrone HBK with the help of turncoat Mike Tyson to usher in the new era. Some call this the start of the Attitude Era, I like to think we were already in it so to me this was the start of the Austin Era. This Era would be cemented by McMahon giving Austin a brand new WWF Championship and changing the block WWF logo with the companies' new scratch logo. Austin would go on to have some of the most iconic moments in WWF history. Spraying down the corporation with the beer truck, driving the Zamboni into the arena, filling Vince's corvette with cement, etc.

AUSTIN V. MCMAHON

With Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart now out of the company who would be Austin's first opponent for the WWF Championship? Why Dude Love of course? Duh. Who represents what McMahon wants his champion to be more than Mrs. Foley's baby boy? Wearing tie dye no less. McMahon's plan to have the Dude wrestle the championship out of the stone cold grip of the Bionic Redneck didn't exactly go according to plan. Instead he received a chair to his noggin for his troubles. Throwing more corporate red-tape in the rematch didn't help much either. The Stooges just got in the way and in the end Austin used McMahon's own had to make the 3-count. McMahon did momentarily get a win when he booked the masked Kane to take on Austin in the company's first-ever first blood match. It didn't help that Taker actually busted Austin open giving Kane his first and only WWF Championship in his career. Did I mention Kane was going to light himself on fire if he didn't win the belt? Too bad for Kane he didn't make the same promise the following night on Raw Is War as he'd immediately lose the belt back to Austin. Following this McMahon crafted the master plan for Breakdown. He decreed by the end of the night he'd be saying Stone Cold screwed Stone Cold when Austin would inevitably lose to either The Undertaker or Kane because he had to face them both. McMahon saw his plan to fruition when they both pinned at Austin at the same time. McMahon decided as one last way to torture Austin he's have to referee the match between Kane and Taker at Judgment Day to determine who the WWF Champion was. Austin refused to count for either man's pin attempts choosing to instead lay them both out. McMahon fired Stone Cold for failure to do his job, but Austin got one of the funnest payback in wrestling when he got McMahon to piss himself in the middle of the right when he brandished a toy gun that read Bang! 3:16. The Rock would win the Deadly Games to win Austin's vacant WWF Championship and Austin would bury Taker alive to close out 1998.

Now that Austin had settled his beef with The Undertaker has was game to win his this back-to-back-to-back Royal Rumble. Vince McMahon told Steve Austin there was o chance in hell he would walk away the winner of the 1999 Royal Rumble. Vince McMahon would even enter the Royal Rumble himself to ensure it and he made the theme of the event No Chance in Hell. An iconic theme song he'd adopt for himself for the remainder of his career. McMahon in an attempt to make Austin's chance slim rigged his entrance drawing to be number 1. WWF Commissioner Shawn Michaels was having none of it and made Vince McMahon the second entrant. McMahon succeeded in having the Corporation get Austin out of the Rumble by putting him in an ambulance while Vince went to to his 1997 commentary duties. McMahon should know better though as Austin returned with the ambulance as Austin has a habit of doing. Vince McMahon and the might of the Corporation would prove to be too much for Austin and Vince McMahon would win the Royal Rumble. McMahon like an idiiot immediately vacated his guaranteed title shot meaning Commissioner Michaels was free to give it to Austin anyway! So guess what McMahon had to do? Wrestle it back away from him in a steel cage of all things. At this point McMahon is having delusions of grandeur if he thinks getting locked into a cage with Austin is a good idea. At the St. Valentine's Day Massacre Austin would open Vince open like a stuffed pig. McMahon is no fool though and had a back up plan. After luring Austin back into the cage when he had the match won by flipping Austin off WCW's The Giant would debut for the WWF and literally throw Austin through the cage. Once again though McMahon accidentally hands Austin the WrestleMania main event. The stage is set now. Stone Cold Steve Austin finally has the opportunity to get his belt back from the people's champion at WrestleMania XV.

It's me, Austin!

It's me, Austin!

It was me all along, Austin!

Austin would finally get his hands on The Rock in a match that was a year in the making. Just over a year before this McMahon told Austin he never wanted him to be his champion and literally handed his Intercontinental Champion to The Rock. The then spent every waking moment of 1998 trying to take the WWF Championship off his waist and give to The Rock once again and he succeeded. Austin has been kept away from The Rock having to win numerous matches to earn this shot and it's finally here. Once again McMahon appoints a special referee or enforcer for Austin's WrestleMania match. Fortunately for Austin Mankind defeating Paul White to earn that right. McMahon tried to interject himself anyway and Mankind not so gently tossed his rubbish ass out of the right allowing Austin once again take back his throne. The Corporate Elbow was no match for the Stone Cold Stunner. The Rock would receive his rematch in which Shane McMahon would this time name himself the referee. McMahons were really big on special referees to screw over Austin. Austin had no problem giving Rock his rematch, but he just wanted one thing: his smoking skull championship belt. Which McMahon was going to give to Austin after Taker threatened Stephanie and his family. Shane was so disappointed in dear Pap he threw his as to the curb and took over the Corporation. The Rock however could give two shits about any of this so he told Austin he could fetch it out of the river and threw his belt into the Detroit river. That's a receipt. Though he'd reveal to have never actually done it as he'd still have it with him when he performed a mock funeral for the belt. Austin would retain his championship after McMahon fuckery of the highest order in the match did not work. After the match Austin finally got his belt.

With McMahon out of power the young McMahon would join forces with The Undertaker' dark force know as The Ministry of Darkness. Taker was the reason Shane perceived his father as weak in the first place and Taker's primary goal since forming the ministry was to oust McMahon. He and Shane were of mutual use to one another it seemed. Shane would become complicit in the kidnapping of his sister Stephanie McMahon. The plan was for Taker to marry her in an unholy union known as the black wedding to solidify his power and control the WWF. Austin was no fan of the McMahon family, but this was perverse and Austin would have no part in it. He saved Stephanie from the clutches of the ministry. This sis not sit well with Taker who vowed and succeeded in taking the belt from Austin. Ultimate power was within his grasp. It was at this time Taker began speaking about a higher power. Someone even he was serving calling all the shots and pulling all the strings. The Undertaker promised to serve Austin up to the higher power who tuned out to be Mr. McMahon all along. Linda was so disgusting with her son and husband that she and Stephanie gave their shares to Steve Austin and named him the new CEO. It was short lived, but fun while it lasted. He made Vince's salary the new beer budget! Vince and Shane would gain control of the company back in a ladder match at King of the Ring when someone, presumably Big Boss Man, kept the contract out of Austin's reach. Austin knew this situation would short lived and used his powers to slip in a title match and won back his championship from Taker on Raw Is War. The issues between Vince, Taker and Austin had gone one so long Vince declared at Fully Loaded we'd see the end of an era. If Austin lost the championship he'd never get another shot at it and if Taker lost, Vince was gone from the WWF for good. Having luck with getting the belt off Austin with the first blood match with Kane, the match was first blood at Fully Loaded. On Sunday night Heat Taker would ambush Austin making bleed hours before their match. Austin would track Taker down later in the night and give Taker a receipt. Now the race was on for whomever could simply aggravate their opponents already bloody wound. Everyone and their mother interfered in this one. Vince, Shane, Triple H, The Rock and even X-Pac. Austin eventually busted open Taker with a camera. Thus ending the McMahon-Austin Era. Their rivalry wasn't permanently in the ground, but it was basically over. At least for about two years.

Austin may have vanquished the evil Mr. McMahon, but his troubles were only just beginning. After losing the WWF Championship to Mankind in a triple threat at SummerSlam he would be run over by an anonymous assailant at the Survivor Series pay-per-view. This would take Austin out of action for nearly a year while he recovered from neck surgery to ix his neck. Just before being taken off television Triple H would become The Game and win his first WWF Championship and seemingly wanted to fill the void left by Austin once he was gone. Austin would actually make a surprise return at Backlash ahead of his full-time return to help The Rock defeat Triple H for the WWF Championship. It would seem Austin would rather his rival have it then a man he didn't feel was championship material. Austin would officially return that summer demanding to know who ran him over. The detective skills of Commissioner Foley discovered Rikishi did it for The Rock! Or did he? Austin stomped a mud-hole in his ass and walked it dry, but it didn't add up for Stone Cold. After attempting to kill Rikishi with his truck at Unforgiven, Austin would continue looking for answers. A sledgehammer to the temple later and he finally had them. Of course it was the Game! Who won the belt just before Austin was run over and took his spot almost permanently once Austin was gone? Other than The Rock becoming the de facto babyface in Austin's absence Triple H was the guy in the WWF in 2000. He had the motive and the means to do so. Occam's razor says it's usually the explanation that requires the least amount complication. Austin would get his receipt with his own vehicular manslaughter attempt when he drops Triple H in a rental car off a lifted forklift. I mean Triple H should be dead, right? Triple H apparently survived and they'd blow their feud off in three stages of hell at No Way Out. Unfortunately for Austin he wasn't enough to play the game on that evening.

With his program with Triple H winding down Austin once again looked to win the Royal Rumble to get back his WWF Championship. Austin hasn't had that gold in over 18 months. Austin would win his third Royal Rumble eliminate Kane last to earn his main event at WrestleMania X-Seven. After The Rock defeats Angle to win back the WWF Championship he lost at No Mercy the main event is set. It's a rematch from XV. A lot has changed since then. The Rock has come into his own as a top guy in the WWF in Austin's absence and Austin has been without the gold in sometime. Stone Cold tells The Rock that he needs to beat him. He needs to be the World Wrestling Federation Champion. Austin gives The Rock everything he has at X-Seven and he's not able to put the great one away and so the unthinkable happens. Vince McMahon comes down to the ring and hands Austin a steel chair. Austin literally murders The Rock with it and Rocky keeps kicking out until Austin lays 17 good shots all across his body to finally get him down for the 1, 2, 3. After the match Austin shakes Vince McMahon's hand officially closing the chapter on the Austin-McMahon-Rivalry and starting the reign of the heel Stone Cold. Jim Ross literally sells this like Austin sold crack to children and I love it.

The only thing crazier than Austin siding with McMahon is Austin and Triple H forming the Two-Man Power Trip just months after trying to kill each other and I'm here for it. The Power Trip go on an absolute tear splitting open the Hardy Boyz with steel chairs including giving Lita brutal chair shots and stunners. Busting open Jim Ross and driving The Rock out of the company so he can film his movie The Mummy Returns. These two weren't called the Power Trip for nothing either as their set their eyes on all the gold. Triple H would win the Intercontinental Championship from Chris Jericho and they two of them would take on the Brothers of Destruction in a winner takes all match to gain their tag team titles. The possibilities of this angle were endless, but unfortunately for us all Triple H got hurt before anything came of it and would sit out most of 2001. Once Triple H was gone Austin became codependent of Vince and would become paranoid that people were trying to steal him from him. He became a comedic heel that would have compete with Angle over McMahon's affections. This was endearing to Vince until Shane bought WCW right from under his nose and began to invade WWF's shows with his WCW talent. Vince needed the old Stone Cold to fend off the WCW forces. Don't forget to be careful what you wish for because at Invasion he go the old Stone Cold. DTA. McMahon. Don't trust Austin. Austin would defect to The Alliance and became their leader in the fight to put the WWF out of business. In a rare twist Austin would cap off the Austin-McMahon rivalry with one last wrinkle. This time Austin would be the heel trying to put poor Mr. McMahon's life's work out to pasture. Vince McMahon had to swallow his pride as the man he needed to save the WWF was the man he suspended and screwed over. He needed The Rock. Both Shane and Vince made a play for The Rock, but he ultimately returned to the WWF and lead them to victory over WCW and Stone Cold at Survivor Series. With everything right in the world again Austin factory defaulted back the good guy and McMahon was once again a prick.

Austin and The Rock were both then entered in the tournament to crown the first-ever Undisputed Champion when Ric Flair returned to the company as the new co-owner of the WWF. He was the benefactor that helped the McMahon spawn buy WCW and ECW apparently. It was decided that with one great company comes one great champion. The Rock and Stone Cold would both go on to lose Chris Jericho on the same night to crown him the Undisputed Champion. He wouldn't repeat his Royal Rumble success losing the 2002 Royal Rumble to returning Triple H. Austin would get a shot at Chris Jericho for his Undisputed Championship, but be denied his chance at winning it from an angry Scott Hall who didn't like that Austin disrespected their gift of beer earlier in the night. Austin and Hall would trade attacks over the next few weeks including Austin kidnapping Hall with a tire iron and locking him in a freezer and Hall smashing a cinder block on Austin's bad knees. As much as I lived the build and I'm a huge fan of Scott Hall, WWE really missed the mark by not putting Austin with Hogan. They had plenty of time to do Rock and Hogan at SummerSlam or even next year's Mania since they had the rematch at the No Way Out the following year anyway. After defeating Scott Hall at X8 Austin would get in a feud with Raw Owner Ric Flair over the fact that Austin lost a number one contenders match to Taker despite his foot being on the rope. This angle would take many twists and turns including Ric Flair siding with the nWo after years of opposition in WCW and Flair losing a match that made him Austin's servant. The angle would be dropped before it went anywhere as Austin infamously took his ball and went home. WWE even used this to put over their new slogan of get the f out. Austin would return to the company in 2003 so he could return on good terms with the company and the fans. He gets his payback on Bischoff for firing him from WCW at No Way Out and he'd face off with The Rock in the final chapter of the storied WrestleMania trilogy. The Rock would finally get his win over Austin in what would be Austin's final match with the WWE.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was many things for many different people. Most people could see themselves in him when even with former great like The Rock or Hulk Hogan there was something unattainable about them. Who didn't live through Stone Cold's struggles with his boss? Who all have jobs and for many of us, being able to be that frank with them was refreshing television. Austin connected with his fans in a way that just can't be fabricated. WWE has tried. There'll just never be another Stone Steve Austin. Even when Austin and Vince McMahon wanted you to hate him, you just could help, but cheer him on. Even when he's splitting a woman's head open with a steel chair. That should have done the trick. He may have been the true people's champion whether DDP or The Rock want to admit it. The memories Stone Cold created for us all will live on forever. Especially now that he's all over the WWE Network. Go now and relive some of those great Stone Cold moments.

A special thank you is in order for all of you that participated in the countdown and sent in your lists and discussed your greatest superstars in WWE history.
    Last edited by Sicario; 04-01-2019 at 11:38 AM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Well done Sicario and EC for a very cool and thought provoking idea! Great stuff, gents.

Can't complain too much about the top two despite my thoughts on Hogan. Austin ticks just about every box you could want in a wrestler. One of the best promos, wrestlers, drawing ability. In every metric he's an icon.

The Rock doesn't have longevity on his side but he's the most famous wrestler of all time, a huge draw, good wrestler and probably the most quotable wrestler ever.

Shock Reviews Archive

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

I would've restructured the top few but it doesn't matter. Austin is a great shout for No. 1 and Rock at 2 is fine. It's fitting they ended Nos. 1 and 2 considering they were the WWF/E's version of Celtics versus Lakers from 1998 through 2001.

Great job to everyone who made this happen.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Thank God that's over. This countdown was a lot of fun and I'm very appreciative of everyone who followed along and participated in it. It turned out to be a real grind with a few hiccups along the way, though. Most of the blame has to be on Sicario and I for making this more elaborate than it needed to be. Nonetheless, I am happy to see this completed. There was plenty of good debate and twists and turns all along the way. Hopefully, several years down the line if/when we try this again, it will be just as good or even better. I really wonder how things might change between now and then, because I feel like in just the time we've been unveiling the list, my feelings on my own rankings have changed. Anyways, thanks to everyone who made this happen! Here is a nice straightforward rundown of the results.

THE GREATEST SUPERSTARS IN WWE HISTORY
    Spoiler:

50. (TIE) Charlotte Flair

50. (TIE) Rick Rude

49. Seth Rollins

47. (TIE) British Bulldog

47. (TIE) Roman Reigns

46. Bobby Heenan

43. (TIE) Razor Ramon

43. (TIE) Lita

43. (TIE) The Hardy Boyz

41. (TIE) Ricky Steamboat

41. (TIE) AJ Styles

40. Owen Hart

39. Jake Roberts

38. Christian

37. Superstar Billy Graham

36. Trish Stratus

35. The Miz

34. Chris Benoit

32. (TIE) Batista

32. (TIE) Mr. Perfect

31. Big Show

30. Pedro Morales

29. Jeff Hardy

28. Ted DiBiase

27. Kane

26. Vince McMahon

25. Bob Backlund

24. Ric Flair

23. Rey Mysterio

22. Randy Orton

21. Ultimate Warrior

20. Eddie Guerrero

19. CM Punk

18. Daniel Bryan

17. Brock Lesnar

16. Edge

15. Roddy Piper

14. Kurt Angle

13. Andre the Giant

12. Mick Foley

11. Bruno Sammartino

10. Chris Jericho

9. Triple H

8. Randy Savage

7. Bret Hart

6. John Cena

5. Hulk Hogan

4. The Undertaker

3. Shawn Michaels

2. The Rock

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    Last edited by The EC; 07-23-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Hail To The King

Status

Do you know what happens when you don't make the first ever undisputed champion the goat the alpha to the omega

Do You?

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Relentless Admin

Status

I don't think you can argue with Austin for #1 when we have to tie in everything. He's got the classic matches, he's got the classic segments and promos, he's got the classic feuds, his popularity was incredible, he was a driving force in winning the Monday Night Wars, Austin Vs McMahon has been the template for America wrestling in more than just WWE for the last two decades. The longevity might be the one criticism you could have on him, but I'd counter that with there's not long stretches of his career when he's bad/dull; I had John Cena at #2 for example and while he has a 17 year career with WWE, there are some bad years in there.

I'm not so hot on Rock as an in-ring guy, but he's one of the best superstars no doubt for his charisma and popularity and being the E in WWE. I don't think anyone will ever be as good at Rock at crowd interactions or filling 20 minutes of TV time just by talking.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread Information