Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

It's all about the game and how you play it... make no mistake about it. Triple H comes in at number 9, a very good ranking in my opinion because his accolades, legacy and sheer presence can not be questioned. His skills in the ring and delivering promos is definitely a topic of debate and one that this forum has always been split on. At the same time, I think there's a good chance anyone on this forum who is in that 20 to 30 year old range was a fan of his at at least some point in their life. I was a pretty big fan of Triple H from the start, as I loved DX and continued to love him around the turn of the century when he introduced “The Game” character. He tethered off at times for me, sometimes becoming a bit of an afterthought despite remaining front and center, but he still has put together an impressive body of work in his career, and how many other people on this list are the heir apparent to WWE? That's right… none. Triple H has always displayed an unparalleled passion for the game. Superstars from his era will tell you no one worked harder than Triple H in the gym, watching film and perfecting his craft. I mean just the fact that Vince allowed this guy date and marry his daughter really says a lot. Vince, obviously, has mastered this business and for him to have the kind of respect he does for Triple H tells you Triple H has always been 110% invested in the business. To me, he came in at the perfect spot.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah, that's a pretty fair placement to me. NXT Dad Trips has also increased his stock tenfold, and he's arguably more recognised now due to the amount of media he does for the company than he was as a talent.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Don't like most of his matches or feuds (including HHH vs HBK) BUT with accomplishments as well as impact including DX, I believe that he should be high up. Probably a bit too high but oh well.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Really glad this is back, this is one of my favourite things on here at the moment.

I found Triple H really hard to place. On one hand, he's had a lot of great matches, angles, moments and accomplishments, plus a ridiculous tenure. I also think his 2000-2001 run is one of my favourite from anyone, ever. If we're basing it on those kind of facts, he absolutely deserves a high spot.

However, I can't shake the feeling that he doesn't belong among the very top level, and I think it's because it always seems like hard work with him. Everything he's accomplished feels like it really had to be forced through. He was a star because they said he was a star, not because he felt like one. And when he did feel like one, to me it came through sheer force of willpower more than something that had to happen. And for every good thing you attach him to, there's either a huge caveat attached to it, or examples of twice as many bad things that happened at the same time.

Yeah, Summerslam 2002 was great, but the subsequent 18 months of rematches took over the entire show at the expense of everything and everyone else, and rarely delivered. The first Elimination Chamber was good, but the other four men in the match had already been totally cut off at the knees by Triple H at that point, all in the attempt to get himself more over. You may remember the Evolution turn on Orton being a great moment, but the subsequent booking saw Triple H go over repeatedly, and it took years for Orton to get back to that level again.

I'm not saying that he's not talented, and doesn't belong at a high-ish part of this list. He's probably roughly around the right area for him, if a little high. I just can't shake that feeling that he only achieved exactly what he should have given the sheer amount of effort than went in to making him seem like a huge star at all costs. If he had achieved half as much but in a natural, organic way, I'd probably like him a lot more.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Triple H was a great heel from 1999-2001. That was the peak of his career, in my opinion. But a lot of that also comes from working with Foley, Rock, Jericho, and Austin. When he had super-over faces to work with, Trips was a very effective heel. When he had to do a lot of the legwork in a feud because the face wasn't as popular, such as Big Show in late 1999, he wasn't as effective.

Austin or Taker may finish #1 on this, but I'll always say the Triple H-Rock feud in 1999/2000 was the peak of the Attitude Era. Most of that is due to The Rock becoming "the guy" but Trips definitely did his part as the heel. Plus, kudos to him for going down to The Rock at Backlash. That produced one of the, if not the, greatest moments of the era. That image of Trips with the big thick jacket on, his hair all wet and stringy, and his arm around Stephanie's shoulder while they stand in the ring and look out to the stage is one I'll always remember.

I don't really vote for him due to anything after 2001. Sure, he was effective and did a lot. But for me, he was on another level from 99-01.
    Last edited by The Golden One; 12-07-2018 at 10:21 AM.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Thread Information