Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History - THE COUNTDOWN!

It's all about the game and how you play it... make no mistake about it. Triple H comes in at number 9, a very good ranking in my opinion because his accolades, legacy and sheer presence can not be questioned. His skills in the ring and delivering promos is definitely a topic of debate and one that this forum has always been split on. At the same time, I think there's a good chance anyone on this forum who is in that 20 to 30 year old range was a fan of his at at least some point in their life. I was a pretty big fan of Triple H from the start, as I loved DX and continued to love him around the turn of the century when he introduced “The Game” character. He tethered off at times for me, sometimes becoming a bit of an afterthought despite remaining front and center, but he still has put together an impressive body of work in his career, and how many other people on this list are the heir apparent to WWE? That's right… none. Triple H has always displayed an unparalleled passion for the game. Superstars from his era will tell you no one worked harder than Triple H in the gym, watching film and perfecting his craft. I mean just the fact that Vince allowed this guy date and marry his daughter really says a lot. Vince, obviously, has mastered this business and for him to have the kind of respect he does for Triple H tells you Triple H has always been 110% invested in the business. To me, he came in at the perfect spot.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah, that's a pretty fair placement to me. NXT Dad Trips has also increased his stock tenfold, and he's arguably more recognised now due to the amount of media he does for the company than he was as a talent.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Don't like most of his matches or feuds (including HHH vs HBK) BUT with accomplishments as well as impact including DX, I believe that he should be high up. Probably a bit too high but oh well.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Really glad this is back, this is one of my favourite things on here at the moment.

I found Triple H really hard to place. On one hand, he's had a lot of great matches, angles, moments and accomplishments, plus a ridiculous tenure. I also think his 2000-2001 run is one of my favourite from anyone, ever. If we're basing it on those kind of facts, he absolutely deserves a high spot.

However, I can't shake the feeling that he doesn't belong among the very top level, and I think it's because it always seems like hard work with him. Everything he's accomplished feels like it really had to be forced through. He was a star because they said he was a star, not because he felt like one. And when he did feel like one, to me it came through sheer force of willpower more than something that had to happen. And for every good thing you attach him to, there's either a huge caveat attached to it, or examples of twice as many bad things that happened at the same time.

Yeah, Summerslam 2002 was great, but the subsequent 18 months of rematches took over the entire show at the expense of everything and everyone else, and rarely delivered. The first Elimination Chamber was good, but the other four men in the match had already been totally cut off at the knees by Triple H at that point, all in the attempt to get himself more over. You may remember the Evolution turn on Orton being a great moment, but the subsequent booking saw Triple H go over repeatedly, and it took years for Orton to get back to that level again.

I'm not saying that he's not talented, and doesn't belong at a high-ish part of this list. He's probably roughly around the right area for him, if a little high. I just can't shake that feeling that he only achieved exactly what he should have given the sheer amount of effort than went in to making him seem like a huge star at all costs. If he had achieved half as much but in a natural, organic way, I'd probably like him a lot more.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Triple H was a great heel from 1999-2001. That was the peak of his career, in my opinion. But a lot of that also comes from working with Foley, Rock, Jericho, and Austin. When he had super-over faces to work with, Trips was a very effective heel. When he had to do a lot of the legwork in a feud because the face wasn't as popular, such as Big Show in late 1999, he wasn't as effective.

Austin or Taker may finish #1 on this, but I'll always say the Triple H-Rock feud in 1999/2000 was the peak of the Attitude Era. Most of that is due to The Rock becoming "the guy" but Trips definitely did his part as the heel. Plus, kudos to him for going down to The Rock at Backlash. That produced one of the, if not the, greatest moments of the era. That image of Trips with the big thick jacket on, his hair all wet and stringy, and his arm around Stephanie's shoulder while they stand in the ring and look out to the stage is one I'll always remember.

I don't really vote for him due to anything after 2001. Sure, he was effective and did a lot. But for me, he was on another level from 99-01.
    Last edited by The Golden One; 12-07-2018 at 10:21 AM.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

RANDY SAVAGE

519 points

23 points Sicario, 22 points Recall, 22 points Thundercat, 21 points Grim, 21 points Booty, 21 points Keefmoon, 21 points Mitch, 20 points TCON, 20 points TedSr, 20 points Nicky, 19 points JT Grizzle, 19 points Wang Chung, 19 points Postman Dave, 18 points Wolf Beast, 17 points Shock, 17 points LibSuperstar, 17 points Loocha, 17 points Ed, 17 points BD22, 16 points MC 16, 16 points Fuji Vice, 16 points Willis, 16 points Zero, 15 points Kintaro, 15 points Jimmy King, 15 points PS, 14 points The EC, 8 points TGR, 8 points Deco90, 6 points OMB, 3 points Baldrick

2 x WWE Champion
    1 x WWE Intercontinental Champion
    1987 King of the Ring
    WWE Hall of Fame, Class of 2015

Ohhhh yeaahhh!! Coming in at our number 8 spot is the incomparable “Macho Man” Randy Savage! Suffice to say I think he earned this spot with great ease as he is one of the most recognizable figures in sports entertainment history. His nickname and catchphrases still resonate to this day even among those who have never seen a lick of wrestling in their life. He was a big part of the evolution of pro wrestling, bringing pageantry and charisma to new heights in the industry with his iconic trunks, robes, capes and hats. He struck the perfect balance that really puts a legend over the top as he was routinely in the running for MOTY during his tenure in WWE. He possessed all the tools needed to succeed and then some! For my money Savage is one of the very best at evoking emotion in his matches and his style in the ring could also convince you that what you were watching was legit. It's no wonder that wrestlers today idolize him and fans still regard as him with great esteem.

Savage entered WWF with high expectations from fans, the front office and probably most of all, himself. As the son of a wrestler he was destined to draw a lot of attention. The fact he was an obsessive athlete known to have a high motor and laser focus added to that. After his professional baseball career failed to take off due to injuries he settled into the wrestling world for good, putting on a ton of mass and growing out his hair and beard to aid him in his pursuit of a new career. His father certainly helped put him on early in his career but he was quickly called to compete on the grand stage. Arriving in WWF as “the hottest free agent in wrestling” gave Savage a huge rub, and the multiple established managers who were bidding for his service showed the fans he was a legitimate star in the making. Behind the scenes, Savage came up with the idea of bringing in his own wife, Miss Elizabeth, to manage him. The pair were immediately over and were a perfect complement to one another. Savage ascended through the ranks and defeated Tito Santana on February 24, 1986 to claim the Intercontinental Championship and begin potentially the most legendary reign in the history of the illustrious title. After over a year holding the belt, he would encounter Ricky Steamboat at WrestleMania III with the belt on the line. Savage had previously shelved Steamboat with an injury so the match up was extremely personal on screen with Steamboat out to avenge himself after the villainous actions taken by the Macho Man. The match would end up breaking the mold for what a great bout looked like. It featured copious near falls and a level of drama that was rarely seen before. The match was very meticulously laid out and executed to perfection and to this day it stands out as one of WWE's greatest matches ever. Savage lost the belt to Steamboat at WrestleMania III but he reserved himself a spot in history with the masterful performance he put on.

But Savage was far from done there. He had made his mark and soon found himself catapulting into the role of megastar. He spent the majority of the next year feuding with The Honky Tonk Man, forming a loose alliance with Hulk Hogan in the process. At WrestleMania IV, the vacant WWF Championship was up for grabs in a tournament that Savage would come out on top of, defeating Ted DiBiase in the final round with help from The Hulkster, capturing the WWF Championship for the first time.

The win was well received and it was clear from the start that if anyone could fill Hogan's shoes for that time, Savage was the man. Savage kept the belt for over a year, forming an official alliance with Hogan known as The Mega Powers, which to this day is the single most loaded tag team in history (sorry Austin and Trips). They went at it with various heel factions throughout that year. Things came to a head and The Mega Powers exploded when Savage became jealous of Hogan's relationship with Miss Elizabeth and attacked his ally. The friction had built over time and finally reached a dramatic boiling point, and the two sensations collided at WrestleMania V where Savage lost the belt to Hogan concluding his year long reign on top. Sadly the day was always destined to come but Mach did prove himself to the company and his peers and also showed that he a comparable drawing power to The Immortal One. The next chapter of Savage's career came, fully embracing his heel role and taking on Sensational Sherri as his manager. He continued his feud with Hogan for nearly an entire year, during which time he won the King of the Ring tournament and transformed into the Macho King.

The Macho King ran rampant over WWF for the better part of the next year and a half with his most notable feud coming against the skyrocketing Ultimate Warrior. A feud which was born out of a perceived lack of respect spanning half a year and culminating in an epic clash at WrestleMania VII where Savage laid his career on the line to take on Warrior. He was unsuccessful in his bid, losing the retirement match in an emotional ending. One of the surefire hallmark moments of Savage's career came next which was when Queen Sherri betrayed and embarrassed Savage, prompting Miss Elizabeth to jump into the ring and run off Sherri, reuniting with Savage and turning him back into a fan favorite. This segment is simply one of the most truly emotional moments in the history of WWE and one of my all time favorites.

WWE doubled down on this tear jerking moment and held a formal wedding for Macho Man and Elizabeth at the following SummerSlam, as Savage had remained on TV, primarily in a commentary role. The reception ended up being crashed by Jake “The Snake” Roberts and this new rivalry would leave us with another iconic scene from Savage's career, when Roberts tied Mach up in the ring ropes and allowed his cobra to latch his fangs into Savage's arm. This dispute lead to to Savage being reinstated and thankfully coming out of retirement. Savage would come out on top against Roberts who then pivoted into a program with Undertaker. Savage on the other hand would end up on a collision course with Flair for the WWF Championship in another rivalry that was driven by controversy involving Miss Elizabeth. In a turn that no one could have seen coming months before, Savage became WWF Champion for a second time by defeating Flair for the gold at WrestleMania VIII (of course you know Hogan still got the final word beating Sid in the main event). Savage's old nemesis The Ultimate Warrior returned to town and would ultimately become the top contender for Savage's belt. The feud culminated at SummerSlam 1992 in which Savage retained the title by count out in a really great bout that did unfortunately get overshadowed by the main event of Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith. Still though, this stands out as probably my favorite Ultimate Warrior match and is proof of how good Savage was still capable of being, even though by this time, McMahon was convinced that Savage's days were winding down and he needed to step away from the ring sooner than later.

And that's the direction they went. Savage ultimately lost his belt back to Flair on Prime Time Wrestling was phased out throughout the next year, wrapping up his regular appearances feuding against Flair and Razor Ramon before once again moving into the position of commentator. His last match in WWE was at WrestleMania X against Crush in a Falls Count Anywhere match. Savage had been moved aside in favor of ushering a new era for WWE, for better or worse. He was still driven and capable of putting on good matches despite aging, and wanted to take part in a long feud with Shawn Michaels which would end at WrestleMania and have HBK going over big but those plans were nixed and an irreparable void was formed between Savage and management. When the time came and his contract ran up, Savage jumped ship over to WCW and had a second (less impressive) life there. His mishandling by WCW does leave you to question what could have been if Vince and WWE weren't so convinced he needed to step. He ended up competing pretty consistently all the way to the end of 1998 and had the feud of the year with Diamond Dallas Page in 1997. We lost Savage in 2011 as he unfortunately did not get an opportunity to reconcile his relationship with WWE, finally being inducted into the Hall of Fame posthumously in 2015.

Probably the most notable trait of Savage is his unbridled intensity and flair for the dramatic, which is evident in his promos and inside the ring. In interviews he could make you feel like he was standing in your living room, speaking to you face to face in his raspy tone he was famous for. In the ring, he competed relentlessly and was so meticulous in his approach that he gained a reputation as a perfectionist who could not settle for anything less than great. And it showed. I can't think of many, if any, wrestlers who were so capable of evoking emotion with their performances. The way the man left it all in the ring every time was simply amazing and something that any up and coming wrestler would be wise to try to duplicate. Savage was a master of playing the fans and dictated their emotions like a skilled puppet master. His brilliance and understanding of the sport extended to his character and presentation of himself. Understanding that at right around 6 feet tall, he was facing an uphill battle to be considered among the elites in the wrestling world which included guys like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant and Ultimate Warrior, he decked himself out in extravagant clothing and famously entered the ring to Pomp and Circumstance, giving him a larger than life feel and nullifying the size disparity he had with many of his top opponents. Savage's blend of charisma, physicality and smarts make it seem highly likely that he would be a top star in any era he competed in. Had he not just been a few years late, he could have even been the face of WWE that Hogan is known as to this day. Instead he became intertwined with Hogan for his entire career and even when pushed to the top of the card, it was hard to say he felt like the real face of the company. And that's not to discredit him at all. He was apparently the better of the two in the ring and reportedly drew competitive numbers but the simple fact is that The Hulkster had a death grip on that top spot and no one was going to knock him off that perch at any point in the 80s or early 90s. Even so, I believe you have to give Macho Man the nod as quite possibly the most influential wrestler of his time period, though there is some stiff competition. Along with Flair and Steamboat, it seems he is the most often cited inspiration for the stars that have come since. Savage earned his place in the heart of wrestling fans, can lay claim to some of the best matches and promos in WWE history and without a doubt is an immortal figure in the annals of wrestling history. I am happy to include him in this list and even happier to say he made the cut as one of elite eight greatest superstars in WWE history.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Well worth his spot at number 8. An iconic figure in wrestling and well known outside of it too. One of the most complete wrestlers I've ever seen. He's a great talker, character, wrestler. He's an influential figure on tonnes of amazing wrestlers like Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, and many more.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Thread Information