Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Football Manager 2019

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Re: Football Manager 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I think everyone who ever played FM09 had at least one game as City. Aguero, Palombo and Srna were always the ones to go for. I also remember Rolando Bianchi and Luca Toni being absurdly broken because of how effective corners were in that game.
    Yeah I tried for Aguero & Srna Haha!

I forgot about Palombo from Sampdoria but I was happy with De Jong as my DM.

Speaking of broken- Gareth Bale has scored from every free kick he's taken for me. He's got 5 goals in his first 3 games Haha! Scoring free kick worldies from like 45 yards! Insane

"LET ME IN.."

Jam Up Guy

Status

I still go back and play CM 01/02 every now again, so I get the appeal of going back to older games. 15 year old Wayne Rooney!

And Papa, I'm a big supporter of joining a club midway through the season in FM. In fact, I very rarely take over a team at the start of the game. Taking over something which is a bit of a mess without being able to completely rebuild the squad and having to fix it during the season is a much more fun challenge for me, and means I end up in jobs I'd never have picked but end up loving. Plus it means I can skip pre-season, which I never enjoy.

In FM '17 Villa were on the verge of going down, so I took them over. Picked up 17 year old Reiss Nelson from Arsenal as there was no budget or wages left and I could get him without any outgoings, and kept re-loaning him every year for the next 2 seasons after that. Turned him in to legit one of England's best players in 3 years and manages to get Villa back to where they belong, two things I'd never have done had I picked a game from the start. Enjoy Preston!

The Franchise.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I still play FM18. I’ve taken Queen’s Park in Scotland from League 2 (fourth and bottom tier) to the premiership. Just finished 6th in my 6th season and second in the top flight.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I still go back and play CM 01/02 every now again, so I get the appeal of going back to older games. 15 year old Wayne Rooney!

And Papa, I'm a big supporter of joining a club midway through the season in FM. In fact, I very rarely take over a team at the start of the game. Taking over something which is a bit of a mess without being able to completely rebuild the squad and having to fix it during the season is a much more fun challenge for me, and means I end up in jobs I'd never have picked but end up loving. Plus it means I can skip pre-season, which I never enjoy.

In FM '17 Villa were on the verge of going down, so I took them over. Picked up 17 year old Reiss Nelson from Arsenal as there was no budget or wages left and I could get him without any outgoings, and kept re-loaning him every year for the next 2 seasons after that. Turned him in to legit one of England's best players in 3 years and manages to get Villa back to where they belong, two things I'd never have done had I picked a game from the start. Enjoy Preston!
    My buddy that I got addicted to FM starting last year had a similar awesome save with Aston Villa lol

I've almost always run with specific clubs. I start a save wanting to manage that club and when I get tired of that club, the save is over. Toyed with journeyman saves and such but its never grabbed me so this is a bit different for me.

Its actually been fairly easy so far. Preston are predicted for 12th and they were about 20th when the job became available, but it looks like that was largely due to a poor run - they were winless in 6. We have now won 4 in a row, helped by not playing any top of the table sides. The squad is okay for this level - no real standouts, a couple good youth, and not that much quality depth. We aren't wrecked by injuries - though a couple injuries could kill us - but a handful of players were not getting any matches and were unhappy. So the biggest thing I've done so far is rotate the squad and manage fitness better than the AI does.

I really don't want to push for promotion this season. Which is weird to say but that was entirely the point of taking over a club mid season. I want a year to build at this level.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So just a couple of matches left in the Championship season and things have gone completely sideways. In a good way, I guess. We are sitting first, and the last 4 matches are all against bottom-half opponents. We will make the playoffs at a minimum and could auto-promote.

Its annoying in the sense that this is what I was trying to avoid happening in the first season. I was hoping for at least a second season in the Championship before going up. But fuck it.

I have begun scouting hard. If we get 30m or so, I can buy an entirely new squad with that.... but we kinda need to. The squad is completely mid-level Championship in quality. I have a young LB who has the potential to develop into an above average Prem player.... but he is also the most likely to get sniped. I have a DM who is similar, though not as young - and he's second most likely to get stolen. Its this weird dynamic where I can improve almost everywhere, but I don't NEED to immediately improve anywhere specifically. the squad is also HEAVILY British, which means I don't have to worry on home grown rules much but also that some of my "solid but not amazing" players are being targeted by other British clubs. Between some veterans from Spain, solid young players from Scandinavia and The Netherlands, a Scottish player or two, some Eastern European players who don't need a WP, and some British bargains, I could end up with a very different squad in the Premier League

My last save in England was with Blackburn and I fucked up the transfer window after getting promoted. Basically, I bought too many potential players. Very few of them were immediate upgrades and they created a bloated squad where I couldn't give them all adequate playing time. so I am hoping to avoid that kind of situation.

The problem tends to be timing. A primary target will be unavailable or marked as too expensive so I pursue and sometimes land a secondary target, only for the primary one to come available later in the window. Or someone is unexpectedly transfer listed and I can't pass up that bargain.

I've actually been playing less than normal of late. Just seem to be winding down on FM19.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

You hate to see it.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

Would love to see Chelsea relegated. LOVE IT. Administration is almost as good.

So promoted with Preston North End. Not impressed. its weird to have an achievement feel like a disappointment, yet here we are.

Got 40m to spend. Nice. Wage budget is 500K. Not as nice. Next lowest wage budget is probably 800K, so we are miles behind in that regard.

Villa are also going up. Leeds and Norwich are the two in the playoffs final.

I've bought one player - Hodor Magnusson. An Iceland central defender that was TLd at CSKA Moscow for 1.1m. he's not a massive upgrade over what I have, but he's quicker than my two best. A well rounded DC type so he will do well as a ball playing defender. Good personality for mentoring. Can cover LB. Only 26.

I have some targets I'm eying, but I'm waiting for more scout reports to come back to see who else I might be able to get and / or might be interested. Like I mentioned before, there is no outstanding immediate need but also nowhere that is "above" needing an upgrade.

The summer build should be fun. Just hope I don't overbuy and bloat the roster like I did in the last Blackburn save.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So I didn't spend too much time last night or get too far, but it was quite the roller coaster.

I'm just into June, and right after the Championship playoffs end, I get a message that the club is being looked at for a take over. The chairman wants to retire. I had literally texted my buddy about it and said I would rage if there was a transfer embargo... and boom, transfer embargo.

It was over pretty quick. The super shitty part is that I have been waiting on a shit-ton of scouting reports on potential targets. I added two more scouts so now I'm getting a bunch of them. But any report that came through during the embargo doesn't give me any info on interest, potential price, or possible wage demands. So they are fucking useless. And I got a WHOLE BUNCH that came through then. Fucking hell.

My new chairman is Gus Pickup, so I'm going to rename my manager to Tommy Truck.

So I have three players coming in. the Icelandic central defender I mentioned, a prospect from Real Madrid who was available on a free named Marvin, and a Spanish newgen who generated at an American academy so he could be signed for free. I'm not sure how much impact the latter two will have. I still have 39m to spend, but not a huge amount of wage budget. All my first choice players from last season want new deals, so that's fun.

I've been trying to separate potential targets into impact players and prospects. Hoping to avoid that Blackburn buy glut where I just grabbed way too many 2-3m prospects. Trying to avoid that. The problem is that mot of the impact players I want are not currently obtainable. There are quite a few of that type of player in Spain, but they are mid-table or bigger clubs so they are on like 30-50k per week. I might be able to afford the transfer fee, but the player is gonna want like 75K per week... which is like 1/6th of my whole budget lol. There are some nice options in places like Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and even Eastern Europe.... but the clubs want too much money, even if we could maybe afford the wage demand. And when I find a player in somewhere like Norway who looks both affordable to buy and to contract, they will be non-EU and won't get a work permit.

I think we are gonna struggle in the Prem. Just no real standout players. A few solid ones and a lot of "not really for this level" types. The tactic will give us a fighting chance, but I don't expect to hit the ground running like we did in the one Blackburn save.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Transfer embargos suck, especially if you don't get taken over in the end anyway so you just end up wasting your time.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

Transfer embargos suck, especially if you don't get taken over in the end anyway so you just end up wasting your time.
    It went through. Looks like the new boss will be same as the old boss.

Survival looks likely. We took 6 of a possible 9 points in the first 3 matches, and the loss was 3-2 to Liverpool. Crushed Leeds 6-1 in the season opener. I generally find that survival tends to come down to two major factors - team cohesion and the schedule. If you end up with a murderers row of fixtures, it can kill your morale, everything falls apart, and you start losing the winnable ones. Through into at least October, we don't have really nasty fixture runs, so we should be compiling enough points that I don't expect it get ugly.

I was bitching to my FM-bro yesterday that this save still isn't gripping me. Combination of factors, one of them being in the Prem sooner than I had planned for. Another is that the squad has few players I love. And I basically had to buy who I could afford and who would come, rather than who I wanted. I did end up landing one defensive target - Scott McKenna from Aberdeen. Was transfer listed for 11.5m so I dove on it. Used up the rest of my budget. But that's 4 CBs that I added in total. I already had 3. Of those, one is a prospect of sorts, and the other two are "Championship specials". Veteran defenders (both 31) who are solid, good mentals, but lack pace, and starting to decline a bit. They are my team leaders and so of course I create a situation where they will be whining for playing time.

Some of the others I added are Robert Gummy (primarily as a RB but can cover LB), the Iceland defender that was sale at CSKA (can cover LB), and Gronli, who I have signed in too many saves but he retrains nicely as a DLP and his freekicks are murderously good. I got a 6.5m offer from Villa for Ben Davies, a CB who was one of my better ones but at 26, he wasn't going to get any better and didn't have an ideal personality. So I took that and bought Dan-Axel Zagadou from Dortmund for 5.5m. I wanted to find an impact player at CM, wide forward, or striker... and I didn't. I bought Lewis Baker from Chelsea for cheap and a Scottish youngster. Up top, I was hoping to find a nicely rounded young striker who probably struggle a bit but settle and start scoring my Christmas. This tactic uses a pressing forward, so something with good physicals and hard-working, plus some finishing ability, can really thrive. I wasn't finding what I wanted in a reasonably price range, so I loaned Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal. And for wide forwards, I didn't find what I wanted and didn't want to add more similar players, so I will make do with adding the Spanish 5-star newgen I stole from the American academy. My first choice GK buy wasn't going to get a WP, the backup got sniped by a French club, so I took a flier on a 20 year old Greek kid I've never had before.

Its not that these are poor additions. Gummy, the Greek GK, Gronli, and the Scottish midfield are all solid and will develop. The CB pairing of McKenna and Zagadou is easily Prem caliber. Nketiah is a player I would love to sign permanently but won't be able to, so he's at least a nice cover player. A player like Baker... he was reasonably prices for an English player. Not ideal for the midfield in this tactic but he will work - he scored 3 against Leeds. He's got the technical ability I would want, but he's not necessarily physical or hard-working as would be ideal. Honestly, not many young English midfielders are, and those that are would be way out of our reach. If I want to go English, I either compromise a bit or go really young (which isn't going to work at the Prem level). Although honestly, all of the players who would fit from outside of England are out of my price range too. Because in addition to that technical ability, they also need to be hard-working and very physical. Not just great stamina but preferably some pace. Like with Liverpool, playing on the transition can be absolutely lethal if you have some pace in the squad. And I don't have enough. Wingers, strikers, and central mids with pace of 11 or 12 might be enough in the Championship but its less effective in the Prem. So I would ideally gradually inject more attacking pace. Not everyone at 18 and 19, but just... quicker. I will have to build things up slowly... assuming I stick with this save that long lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think we've spoken about this before but morale is too big of a factor in FM 19. It's important in real life, but in FM it makes your team unbeatable for stupidly long runs, no matter the quality of your team. So if you get a generous run of fixtures you'll start flying.

And conversely it is really hard to get out of ruts. Which is more realistic, but it feels like all that time working on tactics means nothing because matches come down to how green the arrows are next to the players. That's why I've had far more success with very basic tactics this time around.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

I think we've spoken about this before but morale is too big of a factor in FM 19. It's important in real life, but in FM it makes your team unbeatable for stupidly long runs, no matter the quality of your team. So if you get a generous run of fixtures you'll start flying.

And conversely it is really hard to get out of ruts. Which is more realistic, but it feels like all that time working on tactics means nothing because matches come down to how green the arrows are next to the players. That's why I've had far more success with very basic tactics this time around.
    Its MAJOR. And yeah, the impact is too amplified. It doesn't feel like there is enough of a "luck" element, except in those poor results where you outplay someone and they win on an own-goal on their only corner of the match or something. Lucky positive results seem far less frequent.

Going basic with tactics, especially when faced with a bad run, is definitely a smart move. It probably works too well.

Its much the same that injuries feel too... intentional at times. Like if I have 2 RBs and one gets an injury, I can bet that the next player I get injured will be my other RB. It definitely happens in real life, but its just a bit too often in the game.

I would really like them to start announcing some FM features already for 2020.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I only played one match last night. 4-3 win over Southampton. Baker was hit with a heavy challenge and got a broken arm. Fucking south coast savages then. Out of 2 months. That hurts.

Nketiah has been slapping in the goals already. Good lad. Doesn't quite have the size I crave in a striker, but has almost everything else.

We hit the interlul, which part of why it was just the single match played.

Like I mentioned yesterday, survival isn't looking like its going to be... a struggle? That's 9 points out of a possible 12. If we need 40 to survive, we are 22.5% of the way there.

So the back end of the squad looks like it will probably be solid long-term. That Greek keeper will be my best keeper by seasons end, I suspect. McKenna and Zagadou will make a nice pairing, and the other guys will provide plenty of rotation options. Gummy is a good RB and Earl is developing into a good LB. I don't like the depth on the corners, but that will be something I can work on. And DM is reasonably well covered with Ben Pearson and Gronli. Its the central midfield and forward that will need some work, but we are in decent fettle for the moment. My biggest hope for Baker is that he does well and we sell him for 30m or more. The Scottish kid (keep forgetting his name) could become a starter.

the 5-star Spanish newgen winger I stole is starting to develop a lot. He won't be first choice quality for a bit, but I should be able to give him matches here and there. He's naturally a LW but not a AML, but I decided to retrain him as an AMR first as it fits him better and then I'll try to get him natural at AML as well. He's reasonably well rounded so I toyed with the idea of turning him into a LB, which could happen down the road.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

It's been coming for six years since I left the fuckers. Let this be a lesson to anyone: never sack Shock.

Shock Reviews Archive

Stylebender

Status

Hey so this might sound stupid, especially with FM20 coming out soon, but would I be allowed to post some of my FM18 saves?

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    Hey so this might sound stupid, especially with FM20 coming out soon, but would I be allowed to post some of my FM18 saves?
    Fuck. Yes.

We ain't elitist around here.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Stylebender

Status

Yaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss

Originally started out as Arsenal, cause they're ma boys, and had a awesome two seasons I'd say. Straight away bought Bernd Leno and Gary Cahill from Leverkusen and Chelsea respectively, and a backup winger in Alireza Jahanbakhsh. Barely won the league by 2 points I think it was with Chelsea right up our arses through most of it. Went to the Europa League Final, but got battered by Arsene Wenger's Liverpool 3-1, and the only reason we got one goal back was an own goal by Joe Gomez. So not a good time tbh. Still, won the league even though Lacazette AND Aubameyang went on a goal drought the last 6-7 games, thank god for Iwobi and Mikitaryan.

2nd season was my favourite, because I just went full on Man City and spent shitloads of money. Sold Hector Bellerin to Man City for £64mil and Petr Cech to Southampton for £10mil, so I bought Donny Van Der Beek and Rasmus Kristensen for £20.5mil & £15mil respectively, Kieran Tierney for £25.5mil, Jack Butland for £25mil, Marc Bartra for £18.75mil & Hirving Lozano for £22.5 mil. My biggest but was for James Ward-Prowse though, got him for £34mil in January, which to this day I don't know why, I probably needed a backup midfielder tbh because everycunt kept getting injured.

Tried to sign De Ligt as well, put in a bid as soon as the transfer window started for £22mil. PSG ended up signing him though, which upset the hell out of me because I love him so much. Tried to sign Kasper Dosberg too, but the prick signed for Tottenham, so fuck him Had an amazing start to the season, went unbeaten from August all the way up to February, and throughout my full tenure as manager I never lost at home. then I lost 4 straight away games in February-March, losing to Man United twice (League and Carabao), Chelsea & Spurs (Who are in the top 6 in this save), which wasn't good. Luckily managed to bounce back and had some decisions go my way, mainly Chelsea fucking drawing to midtable teams. Done well in the champions league too, getting to the Semi finals and getting fucked by eventual winners Atletico.

Sold Aubameyang for £50mil and brought in Callum Wilson from Bournemouth then Roberto Gagliardini for £34.5 & £55mil, then decided by September I was going to do another save, so I copied the game file and resigned. Was unemployed up until November, when Allegri took the Arsenal job, leading to Ralph Hasanhuttl, who with RB Leipzig won the Bundesliga in 17/18 & won the 18/19 Europa League, signing for Juvi. I wanted to do a Bendesliga team anyway, but with Dortmund and Leverkusen already having managers, just decided to join Leipzig. I'm in the beginning of March so far and I'm doing okay, I'm 1st, but truthfully it's only because Werner is a goalscoring machine. My wingers and backup strikers are essentially useless unfortunately, with the exception of Bruma and Sabitzer who are good at assists. I'm going to risk playing some games without him, as the next 5-6 games with the exception of Champions League are lower league sides like Hoffenheim (18th), Stuttgart (13th), Ingolstadt (14th) and Meinz (17th).
    Last edited by Chaddes; 09-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Football Manager 20 confirmed for November 19th by the way.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information