Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mic worker in WWE?

Status
      Country                    United States

Best mic worker in WWE?

Been a slow day around here so I'm finessing this from WWE's Twitter. This is a nice little topic that will hopefully get a bit of friendly conversation going.

So the question is simple: Who is the best mic worker in WWE?

It's actually a great question in a time when a lot of people are critical of WWE over scripting their promos. And while a lot of segments these days seem tough to sit through, when I think about it, we still have a decent collection of talkers in the WWE right now.

I think I have to give the crown of best talker to Paul Heyman. It's just obvious that he gets it in a way that few others ever have. I've never heard someone criticize Heyman's promos before. He's a genius on the mic right now.

As for the wrestlers, two guys who have been on fire lately are The Miz and Samoa Joe. Miz is well known as one of the best promo guys at this point and he continues to prove it weekly in this feud with Bryan. Joe is somewhat underrated for his promos. He's been a top notch promo guy since his feud with Reigns and hasn't cooled off yet. I love it any time the man has a mic in his hands.

For some honorable mentions... I gotta go Kevin Owens, who is genius with a mic but has been working what I consider a horrible program with Braun lately, putting a damper on my love of him. Randy Orton is undergoing a resurrection right now and his promos since turning heel have been great. Alexa and Becky are neck and neck as the best talkers among the women's division. In NXT, Tomasso Ciampa is the first guy that comes to mind for his past few months of running down Gargano as well as Black. He is just untouchable at the moment.

Let's hear who everyone else sees as the best mic workers in the company and feel free to give a shout out to some of the unsung people you might think of.
    Last edited by The EC; 08-04-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Hail To The King

Status

Re: Best mic worker in WWE?

Pretty easy to go with miz imo guy is legit but i got a few names.

Johnny Gargano
    Xaiver Woods
    Adam Cole
    Axel & Dallas

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Pretty easy to go with miz imo guy is legit but i got a few names.

Johnny Gargano
    Xaiver Woods
    Adam Cole
    Axel & Dallas
    Woods and The New Day deserve some love for sure. Johnny? I'm not so sure he's a great mic worker, I'd say he just plays a great underdog and has the benefit of being in an awesome program. He does bring some passion to the table though. Not a bad mic worker but I don't see him as a top tier guy. Adam Cole has some charisma, I could go for him, but I think his mic work is also overrated. The B-Team... I just don't see how they're in the conversation at all. I like them in spirit but a lot of their comedy doesn't land.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Woods and The New Day deserve some love for sure. Johnny? I'm not so sure he's a great mic worker, I'd say he just plays a great underdog and has the benefit of being in an awesome program. He does bring some passion to the table though. Not a bad mic worker but I don't see him as a top tier guy. Adam Cole has some charisma, I could go for him, but I think his mic work is also overrated. The B-Team... I just don't see how they're in the conversation at all. I like them in spirit but a lot of their comedy doesn't land.
    Dolph is good too I mean Alexa def but, like Johnny has killed it promo wise and of course you got dream too

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Status

Dolph is good too I mean Alexa def but, like Johnny has killed it promo wise and of course you got dream too
    I mean I'm willing to give you Johnny. He isn't the best or in my top ten but he is good. Veleveteen is one of my favorites in WWE, period. But I have to say his character carries him and his actual talking ability is still somewhat rough around the edges. I can recall several promos where he seemed to be struggling to get to the point and I specifically remember thinking he could have done better with his delivery.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Heyman is a great talker, but he's been saying the same thing now for 4 years that I really don't care anymore what he's up to and I can't put him in the conversation of best WWE talker. He's dreadfully repetitive because of how limited they are when booking Lesnar and he doesn't have that magic anymore to cut a promo that makes me want to see Lesnar fight.

Joe is excellent at sounding menacing and conveying disrespect and disregard for his opponents. I think he's right up there, it's just his booking flaw where he never wins big matches makes his words sound hollow a lot of the time.

Miz is terrific. A little cheesy, but he knows how to get heat from the crowd, he has mastered the WWE interview segment probably better than anyone not called Roddy Piper, and as Talking Smack proved he has plenty of range and can shoot when pissed. Miz is the reason Bryan Vs Miz has been so anticipated these past few years, not Bryan. He might be my number 1.

Bliss is very good and the best of the women. She can make bad material passable with her acting ability (see Bayley this is your life).

Owens is too stand up comedian, too jokey to ever take seriously, but he is a better talker than a wrestler.

I like Becky. As babyface promos go, they are never too lame and overly sympathetic and she talks like she naturally would. I had never considered her that strong in mic talk, but now that I see that graphic and think about it, I can't call it a weakness of hers.

Curtain Jerker

Status

For me the best talker of wwe is Chris Jericho. After him The Miz and then Kevin Owens, Xavier Woods is also very good and Daniel Bryan is doing pretty well in his feud against Miz. I think that Samoa Joe is more aura and appearance than his talking ability, as we saw in his feud for the universal title. In the women division the best is Alexa Bliss by far. In nxt they are better wrestlers than talkers but i do enjoy Gargano promos though i don't know if its because his passion and aura or because he really is good. About Paul Heyman i would say he is a very good talker but they have been giving him the same promo again & again for a couple of months about Brock Lesnar.

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

Miz and Heyman are miles ahead of everyone, with Sammy Zayn being the distant 3rd place.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Miz and Heyman are miles ahead of everyone, with Sammy Zayn being the distant 3rd place.
    Zayn is definitely overlooked. His heel work is definitely up there with the best in the company.

And Jericho when he's working for E definitely has a reserved spot at the top of the list.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Yes Zayn as heel is being doing very well, sadly is injured and previously he was underrated by manegement.

WAKE UP

Status

Hard to gauge as 99% of WWE promos are scripted to death.

I would say favourites are:

Joe - does a good job coming across as a monster and smart

New Day - all very charismatic, would say they make the most out of bad material but I'm sure these guys come up with most of their own stuff

Miz - best when not doing YELLING AND FAKE CRAZY EYES, which all feels really hammy. probably the biggest loser of them scrapping Talking Smack

Owens - mostly lumbered with terrible material but still one of the most natural talkers they have

EC3 probably worth throwing out there too, probably the only guy who promos to the actual audience in attendance rather than the camera

Has Adam Cole every been a great promo? He's pretty standard heel schtick

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Heyman with an excellent reminder last night of his talents. That's what I've been dying to see, something different from him.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Heyman is the best and by a good margin. No one is really close.
    The Miz is probably the best of the active stars, and Alexa the best of the ladies.

Hail To The King

Status

After last night its Joe!

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Curtain Jerker

Status

I think if we're opting for everyone within WWE you'd have to go with Paul Heyman. Guy could sell a glass of water to a drowning man.

If we're talking active wrestlers, I'd probably say Samoa Joe.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Miz is by far the best

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

He's not the best but...no one name dropped Elias?

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    He's not the best but...no one name dropped Elias?
    You just did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Aaland

After last night its Joe!
    Agree with u there he's by far the best at cutting promos , that some think he's really like that , I've just watched the recent wwe documentary about him , if no one has seen it it's a must for fans of joe.

The Miz is second on my list can cut a decent promo look at the mania promo as an example, was cool.

Peace

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

Miz, Joe and Heyman are all good shouts.

Not big on Orton or Elias though. Becky is getting better when others from the women's side are getting rather stale (Sasha, Alexa, Charlotte etc)

#WC4Horsemen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information