Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The EFL Discussion Thread.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The EFL Discussion Thread.

Luton hadn't lost at home in 18 months, until Big Slav arrived earlier today. Brilliant win and the winger from West Ham, Diangana, bagging two goals on his league debut, can't complain at that. 7 points from 9, into 3rd, happy with that.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

We won a league game wooohoooo. Shame Micky looks like he's broken his ankle/lower leg so he could be out for a while, which may see us dip into the loan market.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Underdog

Status
      Country                    France

We (Rotherham) won a second consecutive away game and we're on 6 points. Yes we lost our one home game, but a general rule of thumb for promotion is win at home, draw away. That would have put us on 5 points, so 6 points after three games puts us on track.

I am a little worried about our game falling a little flat given we have a break now. Our midweek game against Bury has been postponed, and then next Saturdays fixture against Portsmouth has also been postponed due to a festival in the city. We also don't know who we will play in the second round of the league cup given we drew Wednesday or Bury...which hasn't been played yet. The next time we could play is 31st August which is mad.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Watching the Reading vs Cardiff game, and it kills me inside when the staidum is half empty.

One reason why I don't tend to watch a lot of lower league football.

"LET ME IN.."

Heel Champion

Status

Reading isn't exactly a long trip for Cardiff fans either.

Ole!

Status

Finally got our first win of the league season and feels good to do it against those Pompey scum, slowly becoming more hated to us than Leeds.

Hope it carries on

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

This Bury/Bolton stuff is crazy. Football is going to become a microcosm of class politics it seems.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    This Bury/Bolton stuff is crazy. Football is going to become a microcosm of class politics it seems.
    Supporters don't matter. The money men and women of the game prove this over and over again. Supporters, staff, history... none of this matters to those in charge.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

It's absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I know they're both equally heartbreaking situations, but Bolton would stand out so much more to me as an unbelievable situation if they ceased to exist after this week (or whenever the hammer finally goes down) because they had a decade+ in the premier league and I've memories of playing them quite a lot when Albion were at their level. This is a founder member of the football league that's going out of existence. It's gonna be like when Wimbledon died 15 years ago, only a club with a lot more history. They've got a great set of fans so I can see a phoenix club rising from that if they go under. Bury on the other hand I have no memories of, very much a lower league club and it would just feel the same as when Chester City and Hereford Town went bust, horrible situation but one that's outside my bubble so to speak.

So weird to have two clubs in this situation at the same time, there's been some close calls over the years with teams falling into administration and dropping down the leagues like Leeds, Portsmouth, Coventry, Blackpool, but they were ultimately saved and for the most part recovering well. Absolutely failing of the EFL this by not doing proper checks on these new owners. The Bury owner sounds like a complete asshole.
    Last edited by Ed; 08-27-2019 at 03:46 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Listening to the Bury owner today on the radio had me fuming. Blaming literally everyone but himself.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

This is the very darkest side of running a football club like a business. Well, businesses fail and go out of business. Football clubs generally don't, because they tend to get saved by all kinds of mechanisms that would never happen in other lines of business. There are places in the world where its commonplace and doesn't generate any outcry, but its pretty uncommon in England. And it should be - these supporters shouldn't suffer for the shittiness of these owners. The clubs that will be started up in their place won't have their history.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Bury is all on the owner for me. They could have been sorted out ages ago but he was playing hardball over selling up. As for Bolton, i'm not quite sure where it's gone wrong there. It's obviously something from previous or current regimes but I would assume if someone can get Bury sorted, there will be people willing to buy Bolton, even if it means accepting they'll be starting all over from L2 next season.

It's a sorry state of affairs when this whole "Fit and Proper" bollocks the FA brought in to prevent this shit from happening has failed, so they also need to be looking at their systems. Also with the amount of money in the EPL, you could think they could put a little aside from these massive TV deals to help in a time of need.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Bury is all on the owner for me. They could have been sorted out ages ago but he was playing hardball over selling up. As for Bolton, i'm not quite sure where it's gone wrong there. It's obviously something from previous or current regimes but I would assume if someone can get Bury sorted, there will be people willing to buy Bolton, even if it means accepting they'll be starting all over from L2 next season.

It's a sorry state of affairs when this whole "Fit and Proper" bollocks the FA brought in to prevent this shit from happening has failed, so they also need to be looking at their systems. Also with the amount of money in the EPL, you could think they could put a little aside from these massive TV deals to help in a time of need.
    I hate suggesting or comparing to North American team sports, because they evolved so differently. But this is where the NA sports tend to do things better - they vet potential owners more thoroughly. Granted, there are usually only about 30 teams to worry about, not 100+ professional clubs to worry about. The tradeoff is that owners can move teams, so.... that part fucking sucks.

Very much agree that some Premier League money should be available to emergency situations. That might be hard to administer and decide what constitutes an emergency, but it beats having these clubs disappear.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

The money from the big boys should only be used to pay the staffs wages for me. If there's masses of debts that's the owners fault, you can't blame the players, coaches and club staff, and that's the worst bit for me, knowing these potentially two clubs worth of people about to be made redundant over things beyond their control.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    UK

Given that Bury is my local club (Literally five minutes away at that) I am absolutely devastated that Dale has sunk the club by being hard headed about selling when he bought the club for £1 from the previous owner, who also shares a great deal of the blame

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa King View Post
    Given that Bury is my local club (Literally five minutes away at that) I am absolutely devastated that Dale has sunk the club by being hard headed about selling when he bought the club for £1 from the previous owner, who also shares a great deal of the blame
    I don't know if its possible, but I hope Bury fans sue the ever living fuck out of Dale, and then use the money to start a Phoenix club.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So Bolton survive. That's happy.... although the suggestion that the phoenix club that could have happened might have been named the Bolton Meanderers is a missed opportunity.

They started the season with a 12 points penalty and are pretty much already relegated. They have won 1 point so far. They are playing kids. I wonder if they could get relegated on negative points? That would have to be a first, no?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information