Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The EFL Discussion Thread.

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

The EFL Discussion Thread.

So for the first season in my time here on WC, West Brom aren't in the premier league which means I don't really have an outlet to discuss the matches I attend and bore you lot to death. Let's use this thread to talk about the football league every now and again.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the season. I know it's a tough league, but Albion have been great at this level every time we've been in it since the turn of the millennium. At the moment there's been no huge exodus of players, Ben Foster the snake left and was quickly replaced by Johnston who did really well at Villa last year, James McLean the liability left for Stoke and Evans the taxi driver left for Leicester. There's still time for the likes of Chadli, Rondon, Rodriguez and Dawson to leave, but at this point no-one has release clauses to force a move away so I think maybe just a couple of them will go if the deal is right. If everyone stays, then fuck me that's some squad for that league. I think we'll get promoted unless there's a lot of sales next week with no replacements. Moore seems to be going down the route of younger english lads who are hungry for an opportunity rather than journeymen looking for a pay day and that's definitely the attitude we need. Moore continues to say the right things and it's great to have someone in charge of the club who genuinely is a fan and there's mutual love and respect between the fans and the manager, I don't think we've had that since Megson 15 years ago. We start the season home to Bolton tomorrow which should be a good opportunity to get points on the board, but this is the league where predictions go to die. Can't wait for the season to start now.

As for who I fancy to challenge for the top spots. I think Stoke have bought well for this level and have a really good squad because they've kept a lot of key players and Rowett's a good manager, I think they're favourites for the title. Leeds and Forest have bought well, Forest have spent over £20m so they are trying to do it the Wolves way. Derby didn't impress me tonight even though they won, but I think they'll grow as the season goes and be playoffs for sure. Villa will probably be there or thereabouts unfortunately. Every bookie I see has Boro as 2nd favourites and I just don't see it because they keep selling their best players, Gibson off to Burnley today the latest to go - maybe it's just my hate for Pulis.
    Last edited by Ed; 08-03-2018 at 05:45 PM.

The Planet's Admin

Status

Re: The EFL Discussion Thread.

Mikk's just pointed out this would work better as a EFL thread.

So who supports teams at this level

Ed - West Brom
    Mikk - Sunderland
    Simmo - Plymouth
    Baldrick - Newport County

Anyone else?

Ole!

Status

I shall take full credit for the thread change, you're all welcome.

So, for us, completely new season and what i've been crying out for is a complete change in everything at Sunderland. New owner, a clearing out of all the rotten players we've accumulated over the seasons which as of yet isn't totally complete but we've got a good 80% out the door with hopefully the remaining few not too far behind. Djilibodji & N'Dong need to be the next as neither reported back for pre season and rightly so the club have stopped paying them as they've not turned back up to work.

Very much like the incoming transfer business we've done and know they're still working on a few more just due to the amount of games we're going to be playing this season with the added check-a-trade tournament thing too.

Everything just seems so much more positive this season now that we've got new owners who at this minute are such a refreshing change, they've already been on fan run podcasts since they came in and have been very open and honest about everything.

I'm predicting us to have a very strong run this year, not completely saying we'll win but promotion is a must and feel the squad is going to be more than capable of doing that.

Looking forward to the first game tomorrow at lunch time.

Status

A buddy of mine (who, grotesquely, is a Spurs supporter) also follows the Championship pretty close. So I'm sure that will spur me pay more attention to it this year.

A podcast I listen to was talking about Swansea, about all the issues they've been having, and whether they might actually do a Sunderland and relegate again.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Ole!

Status

Seems a few have gone from Swansea recently so possible they could go down again, don't think they've replaced many at all.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mikk View Post
    Seems a few have gone from Swansea recently so possible they could go down again, don't think they've replaced many at all.
    Weird how quickly a club can fall from the "model club" to a club in tatters. They haven't replaced anyone, lost significant talent, and supporters seem very uneasy at the coming season. Apparently just not giving out good vibes.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Ole!

Status

2 - 1 win at the death and 31,079 in attendance to see it

First opening day win since 2009

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I think Swansea will struggle unless Potter can work some major magic. Unlike the other two relegated teams, they've lost their better players so I could easily see them having a long, hard season.

We're at Mansfield today, a tricky away game to start the season, would take a point here straight off the bat.
    I have a plan so cunning......

The Planet's Admin

Status

Albion were pathetic. They weren't up for the physical demands of the division, Bolton wanted it more and worked harder than us and we did so little with over 70% possession it's ridiculous. We were just passing it along the defence for ages without a clue of what the next move would be. The window needs to close asap so we know what we're working with because some of them out there today looked like their heart wasn't in it, like they know there's a chance they can get a move away.

(+1 star Japan Bonus)

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Weird how quickly a club can fall from the "model club" to a club in tatters. They haven't replaced anyone, lost significant talent, and supporters seem very uneasy at the coming season. Apparently just not giving out good vibes.
    And just like that, they're trailing vs. Sheffield Utd. Not exactly looking like Sunderland levels of bad first seasons in the Championship, but not a good start.

Of course, just as I post that, they equalise. Typical

Heel Champion

Status

Can't say the Newport result surprised me. Away to Mansfield first game was always going to be tough. I hope we can put something positive together next time out against the Crewe side that scored 6 today

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Can't say the Newport result surprised me. Away to Mansfield first game was always going to be tough. I hope we can put something positive together next time out against the Crewe side that scored 6 today
    Wooohooo 1-0 and a saved Crewe penalty haha.

Your boys did ok today Ed.

The Planet's Admin

Status

Yeah, my heartbeat has just about returned to normal now!

Crazy crazy game, lots to be excited about going forward and lots to be worried about at the back. Big win for us away from home to get our first 3 points on the board. It's been a challenging week. Onto the league cup on Tuesday!

Ole!

Status

Draw against a very good Luton side is always good, just need all our injuries to get back fit and we'll have a good side

The Planet's Admin

Status

Luton are good? damn we have them in the cup tomorrow. #BananaSkin

Ole!

Status

They're one of the favourites to get promoted this season

Heel Champion

Status

Luton may shock a few in League 1, especially at home. Danny Hylton has a pretty decent record so watch out for him.

Ole!

Status

3 - 0 Win today and looking very good in this league and we've got players to come in yet from injuries.

The Planet's Admin

Status

3-0 is very nice.

but it's not quite 7-1 is it?

I think we will both enjoy this season more than the last few .

Heel Champion

Status

Very happy with a point away at Exeter. I'm not expecting us to do anything better than solid mid-table this season so it's an excellent point gained there.

As for that 7-1...some brilliant defending by QPR haha.

Thread Information