Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread

Status

Re: Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread

This $5million "Golden Handshake" for Scudamore is some shady-ass shit. Even trying to wrap it up as a "consulting fee" doesn't make it look any less shitty. The richer giving to the rich so they get richer at the expense of the supporters. Seems about right.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    This $5million "Golden Handshake" for Scudamore is some shady-ass shit. Even trying to wrap it up as a "consulting fee" doesn't make it look any less shitty. The richer giving to the rich so they get richer at the expense of the supporters. Seems about right.
    Spot on mate! So dodgy.

Wouldn't expect anything less from these "higher-ups" in football mind. Corrupt to the core.
    Prepare for the.. BACKLASH!

...COMING SOON, TO THE "BTB" SECTION!

*** CREDIT TO THE LOOCHA BEAR FOR THE GRAPHIC ***

Status

Ahhh so good to have Prem football back. Felt like forever to wait.

Nothing to exciting in the Arsenal win over Bournemouth. Tough match and Arsenal were a bit fortunate to hold on for the three points. I'm getting quite content with those kind of wins. Interesting that Emery says he dropped Ozil as the side needed physicality. Which is true and makes sense, but it was a bit surprising to see him flat out say that Ozil doesn't bring that.

Tickled that United could only manage a draw. Jose in forever.

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Wales

Tickled? The fact he's back to bashing his players says he hasn't learned
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Tickled. Amused. Bemused. Not at the suffering of United supporters, but just at the endless antics of Jose.

Established Veteran

Status

You'll have a third book by the end of the season

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

'best promoted side in history' have now lost 5 out of 6

Status

Well that went okay for Arsenal.

Established Veteran

Status

What a fantastic comeback. 4-2 Never expected us to win this but a brilliant result for Arsenal. We just beat the scum!! We totally outplayed them. Cracking game. Probably the best of the season so far.

Under Wenger last season, there’s no way we’d come back from 1-2 down to win such a massive NLD. Great subs made by Emery which changed the game and now 19 games unbeaten. Can’t wait to see what Emery can do after a few transfer windows. Such a shame that Ramsey is leaving at the end of the season. If only he didn’t ask for much money and accepted the contract.

So happy for Torreira, he scored his first goal for the club. Brilliant signing. Auba & Laca scoring in such a big game. Loved Auba’s second goal. Dier and Alli can fuck off!

Up next for us is Man Utd on Wednesday. This is a game we should be winning but we probably won’t win. Arsenal need another big performance. COYG!!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

WHAT A SUPER SUNDAY. Divock Origi rose from the ashes to show up Jordan "I won't blunder like Alisson" Pickford in tremendous fashion. What a goal, what a player, what a match. Super sunday indeed.

Oh and that North London stuff looked alright.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I'm not one for wanting managers to get the sack, but it's time for Jose to go. I've tried backing him but it's time to concede that it's not working. He flat our refuses to change his ways and get with the times and as long as that's the case then we're not going anywhere. Matic and McTominay at CB? What's he playing at? Playing 5 at the back against Southampton? What IS he playing at? Martial back on the bench? The player who's kept him in a job the last few weeks. I have no words. He STILL can't get the best out of one of the best midfielders in the world, he STILL doesn't know his best 11. So many issues right now and I'm now resigned to us not getting a top 4 finish. City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are top 4 for me at the moment.

Status

So... a few thoughts in the afterglow of the north of London being red.....

I actually missed the first half. Slept in. Which I rarely do anymore so I didn't bother setting an alarm. My bad. It was just into the 2nd half and 2-1 when I started watching. But what I loved most wasn't the win. Or maybe not JUST the win. But it was the passion. The Arsenal players were ALL IN for it. Whether it was the effort they put in, they way they celebrated the goals, the bench going into it with Spurs players after the Dier goal.... even the video Guendouzi celebrating with supporters as he was being driven away. And the supporters were up for it, too.

I've used this word a few times this season, but my god, am I happy with the PROGRESS we have made. Still imperfect. Still don't defend amazingly well. Still have problems, like not consistently starting out well. But we are moving forward. There is no more statis. We have a manager who makes adjustments, who holds players accountable, and who adapts in every way possible. It still makes a bit sad that Wenger went out like he did and that he was incapable of changing to help the side make this progress. But Emery has brought the things we needed. Even if he isn't the long-term solution, it feels so relieving be moving forward again.

About a year ago, I was listening to the ArseCast and they talked about how they didn't love anyone in the squad. And I realized it was true for me as well. There were players I liked quite a bit, but not one single player I truly loved. No one who would break my heart when they left, a la Henry or Cesc. Sanchez had been at that level for a time, but by last Christmas, it was very obvious he was leaving and his flaws were pretty apparent besides. When we bought Aubameyang last winter, I was pretty meh. Great striker and a player I loved at Dortmund.... but not a position of need and I didn't see how he fit. Good lord was I wrong. Love the man dearly. Leading scorer even playing most of the season out of position. The personality he brings has been huge too. Laca has grabbed my heart much more this season. Torreira is everything we needed in a DM. Except tall. Guendouzi has been more than expected. I've enjoyed Sokratis and Holding has been more than expected too. It just all feels... different.

That said, I really don't know what to think about Ozil. Dropped from the side, apparently stormed off when told. I really like Ozil when he's on but he can also be a passenger in big matches (sometimes not entirely his fault). So its hard to fault Emery. Inter are apparently interested. I don't know how sad I would be see him sold.

Established Veteran

Status

Frustrating result. The draw feels like a loss. We should have won this as Man Utd were there for the taking. De Gea kept them in the game. Now if Utd equalised 10-15 mins later I wouldn’t mind the draw. However we were so poor in conceding just after scoring. That really annoys me.

Oh well never mind, the good run still continues and we’re 20 games unbeaten. Still 4 points against two of our biggest rivals Spurs and Man Utd isn’t bad at all. Arsenal are 8 points ahead of Man Utd and they play Liverpool next week. Hope Mourinho doesn’t get sacked and lasts the season.

At least Chelsea lost Hopefully they drop points again as they play Man City next.

Established Veteran

Status

Jose won't go until Champions League is out of the question. I thought Arsenal should have won that game. The positive for me is Bailly did pretty damn well, especially against Abaumeyang. Plus the side showed again they have a lot more threat with pace upfront instead of Lukaku. Thought Herrera did well and Matic had his best game for a year

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Seriously? I thought Matic was awful again tbh - maybe not as bad as he has been at times during the past 12 months but was literally baffled when he got MOTM from Macca. He's just way too slow and immobile - no idea how Jose can't see he has to drop him.

Agreed on Bailly having a fairly solid game though.

And he scores goals...!

Status

A draw at Old Trafford ain't bad, but like Kintaro says, the way the goals happens makes it feel like points dropped more than anything else.

Holding will be out for between 6 and 9 months. That's gutting. He's been remarkably consistent in the past couple of months.

Also, Felliani pulling Guendouzi down by the hair and not even getting a card is some bullshit. A shirt pull is a yellow and that's not something that hurts.

Established Veteran

Status

Yeah Fellaini of all people pulling someones hair haha.

Bad news for Holding...he's been improving and is a solid young talent. With Joe Gomez also out long term injured, that's two big talents lost for a while.

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Big day in the title race with Liverpool winning, Salah with the mojo back and City losing at Chelsea. I want Liverpool being neck and neck with City before their game in January.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Really happy that we are in the position we are, simply because we haven't even been playing amazingly. Its the one thing we always seem to do, play absolutely amazing football, create 10-15 goal scoring chances, alienate the other team out of the game etc...only to be caught out once, concede and throw away points. it's a great start to the season but up until yesterday City looked unbeatable and 1 match doesn't change just how good they are. We will need to kick it up a gear going forward.

Established Veteran

Status

It's a two horse race without doubt. Issue I can see with Liverpool is what will happen when they hit that inevitable bad patch, that is what usually costs them. City know how to win this league, Liverpool don't, and that is what may cost them in the end. Despite not liking either team, I have to appreciate that they are also playing the way many fans want to see so have to give credit there.

The Man Utd game was a weird one. First half played with masses of confidence and did brilliantly well. Second half they seemed to shut off as the game was already won...that is something you shouldn't be doing when you haven't produced the results in recent times. Happy it gives them a lift ahead of the Liverpool game though.

Thread Information