Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread

Forgot he had the League Cup final too, not done too badly for his first season in charge so far.
    I have a plan so cunning......

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    There's something seriously wrong and toxic behind the scenes at Chelsea. The whole culture of the players is rotten.
    Makes you wonder if its a player issue....At this stage it has to go further than just the players not having respect for the managers in charge. It feels like we've been saying that same story for the better part of the last decade now.

Ole!

Status

I can only see it being 1 player and thats Hazard, he's one of a very small group to have been through a few managers at Chelsea and wonder if because he hasn't yet gotten a move away that he's turning players on managers that aren't willing to sell him.

Established Veteran

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mikk View Post
    I can only see it being 1 player and thats Hazard, he's one of a very small group to have been through a few managers at Chelsea and wonder if because he hasn't yet gotten a move away that he's turning players on managers that aren't willing to sell him.
    Crazy thing is he'd probably get his move this summer anyway, so if it is him...Real may think twice....not that they got that kind of history mind hah.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

OGS has reportedly been given the full time job.

Established Veteran

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DeclanDimi View Post
    OGS has reportedly been given the full time job.
    Without a DOF in place? I doubt that very much to be honest, they'll get the DOF then tell the world who the manager is.

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

The Sun reporting it, nothing official from the club...
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Paper talk.at this point. They won't announce the new manager until the end of the season if it's to be Ole. He's on a great run, no doubt, and I'd much rather see a young former player from the club given the chance than see it farmed out to a big name (Poch included there). But it's still early days. There's still further big tests to come for him so we'll see how he gets on. PSG now will be a good measuring stick for him and a chance to test him in Europe.

Doubting El Dandy

Status

Given that Chelsea paid a decent whack to get Sarri in the first place, will have to pay a fortune in termination costs, and bought two players specifically because they played for him before (including one with negligible sell on value in two years time), Chelsea surely don't have a choice but to stick in the short term? By the end of the month they'll have had a League Cup Final, two Europa League games, United in the FA Cup and Spurs in the league. If they lose three of those 5 games - which wouldn't be shocking - then it'd probably get untenable. But until then they have to cross their fingers this is just an embarrassing dip.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Given that Chelsea paid a decent whack to get Sarri in the first place, will have to pay a fortune in termination costs, and bought two players specifically because they played for him before (including one with negligible sell on value in two years time), Chelsea surely don't have a choice but to stick in the short term? By the end of the month they'll have had a League Cup Final, two Europa League games, United in the FA Cup and Spurs in the league. If they lose three of those 5 games - which wouldn't be shocking - then it'd probably get untenable. But until then they have to cross their fingers this is just an embarrassing dip.
    They had a similar situation with Andre Villas Boas where they spent a load to get him in, bought players for him, but he was failing miserably and the players hated him.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

The Chelsea situation is a weird one. Getting utterly trashed by a side you are supposed to be competitive with definitely feels like more than a drop in form. Its one match, but getting torn apart so easily was not just down to tactics. There are some definite player issues in there. While one could point at Sarri in that regard and wonder whether maybe his man management style doesn't suit the squad, its impossible to ignore the player problems have plagued every manager in the past number of years.

I don't think its down to Hazard. He is definitely a moody one and his form under Mourinho bespeaks to that. But its definitely wider. It feels to me like a systemic problem throughout the club that simply reaches the players, rather than something purely stemming from the players. I connect it to how some of the problems that existed with the Arsenal squad under Wenger for years haven't simply disappeared with a change in manager. I recently heard an explanation the London Colney Training Ground is often described as a "secluded paradise" for footballers. They were coddled and protected, not really pushed. The problems that manifested on the pitch - lack of accountability, lack of high level ambition, lack of forward drive, and where "training hard" was enough - all stemmed from Wenger, but they came to infest the club as a whole, and it hasn't disappeared yet. It seems like what infects Chelsea is a different form of toxicity and it likely sources from Abramvovich in some way, but there are definite issues there.

That toxicity is definitely present amongst supporters. As I've said before, there is clear and present danger in taking what you find on social media as representing anything larger than those people, but the "Sarri Out" screamers are amusing reading. Or horrifying, depending on your perspective.

Supporter toxicity is something I'm concerned with amongst the Arsenal supporters, to be honest. Not even so much the tiny group already losing patience with Emery. But there has been some abuse aimed at Alex Iwobi and Ainsley Maitland-Niles and that doesn't impress me much. Both had abuse sent their way and not just on social media but during the match, too. Iwobi was probably our best player in that match. He lacks end product but he's young and developing. A player like Rob Holding is given patience to make mistakes because he's "young", but he's actually older than Iwobi. AMN is even younger, and being played in a position he isn't natural to. We supporters want our club to focus on young players to have that kind of youth system that we used to, but we don't want to give the young players the time they need to grow into first teamers. Don't be dicks, Gooners.

Doubting El Dandy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Supporter toxicity is something I'm concerned with amongst the Arsenal supporters, to be honest. Not even so much the tiny group already losing patience with Emery. But there has been some abuse aimed at Alex Iwobi and Ainsley Maitland-Niles and that doesn't impress me much. Both had abuse sent their way and not just on social media but during the match, too. Iwobi was probably our best player in that match. He lacks end product but he's young and developing. A player like Rob Holding is given patience to make mistakes because he's "young", but he's actually older than Iwobi. AMN is even younger, and being played in a position he isn't natural to. We supporters want our club to focus on young players to have that kind of youth system that we used to, but we don't want to give the young players the time they need to grow into first teamers. Don't be dicks, Gooners.
    Unfortunately the reaction to the two players you have mentioned, and the opposite being true for Rob Holding, is worryingly common and deep-rooted. There's a reason Raheem Sterling was so vilified, after all. It's subtle enough to not get called out a lot, but no less vile.

You're right with Chelsea's issues being bigger than that result. The reaction will be to fire Sarri eventually, but what does that ultimately solve? Maybe the results pick up again for a bit, maybe they sneak in to the Champion's League, have one good year tops, then it all falls apart again and they start over. Like with Emery (and a lesser extent Silva at Everton), these guys have had to overcome more than just on-field performances. None of the three of them have been overwhelming successes, but it's still so early in their tenures. Chelsea aren't going to suddenly become a stable, efficiently-functioning organisation where all the players pull their weight just because they've had a new manager for 8 months. Especially given he took over a team that were already disorganised and essentially in rebellion, hadn't qualified for the Champion's League last season, had to embed an entirely new tactical system (which the hierarchy would have known he'd do - his whole success is based on a particular type of football), and did it all without a full pre-season due to the issues with Conte and Napoli.

I'm not saying Sarri is the right man for the job, and there are HUGE flaws to his style, but there's no silver bullet to these issues. It takes time, which is the one thing these clubs aren't willing to give.

Status

I really hope that isn't the underlying factor. But given how much racist abuse still happens in the league, clearly the supporters are not free from such biases.

Was gonna post this in the Transfer Thread, but reports came out from David Orenstein today that Juventus gave Aaron Ramsey a contract worth 400K per week. Making him the highest paid British player ever. Good lord. That's in excess of 20m a year. Wonder if there are appearance fees and such on top of that. Nice of Juventus to push the wage costs in the game even higher

Doubting El Dandy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Was gonna post this in the Transfer Thread, but reports came out from David Orenstein today that Juventus gave Aaron Ramsey a contract worth 400K per week. Making him the highest paid British player ever. Good lord. That's in excess of 20m a year. Wonder if there are appearance fees and such on top of that. Nice of Juventus to push the wage costs in the game even higher
    On a podcast I listened to over the weekend James Horncastle (who I find to be fairly reliable with Italian news) said he couldn't understand where £400k had come from, and what he had been hearing was £250k, which is in line with the rest of the second tier Juve players. It's still obviously a crazy amount of money, but given he was on a free that figure feels a lot better to me. I can't for the life of me see why Ramsay would be worth 400k.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    On a podcast I listened to over the weekend James Horncastle (who I find to be fairly reliable with Italian news) said he couldn't understand where £400k had come from, and what he had been hearing was £250k, which is in line with the rest of the second tier Juve players. It's still obviously a crazy amount of money, but given he was on a free that figure feels a lot better to me. I can't for the life of me see why Ramsay would be worth 400k.
    He's not worth 400K and he might not even be worth 250K, at least when you compare him against other players that earn that amount. And I say that with love and respect lol. But a free transfer is always going to mean a premium wage is required.

Curious to see how Juventus use him and whether their statements about "Arsenal not playing him the right way" bear out. Its entirely possible he becomes a more impactful player for them. But a couple of times I've heard experts discuss him (possibly Horncastle or Andy Brassel), they don't seem sure he will be an every-match player for Juventus because the strength they already have.

The Ozil situation at Arsenal is dragging on, and its splitting fans. What a fuck-mess. As I've said before, I don't think its just down to a power play by Emery. I think it goes higher than that. And heard talk that the austerity is going a little deeper than is apparent, with people within the club being told to cut costs and corners wherever possible. With our Kroenke having full ownership now, I expect that's a by-product him of him being cheap more than anything else.

Doubting El Dandy

Status

I know Chelsea have said they will appeal it, and I know Barca got theirs pushed back a couple of years back, but as someone who is vaguely neutral to Chelsea, this transfer ban is going to be fascinating. If they can’t sign any new players until the start of the 2020/21 season, that’s surely going to influence a whole bunch of other stuff. Do they get rid of Sarri, knowing they can’t sign any more of the players he might want? Or stick with him, as a new manager can’t sign anyone new anyway? I presume Hudson-Odoi won’t be going anywhere either, as Pedro and William aren’t getting any younger and yet can’t be replaced. I’m guessing Loftus-Cheek doesn’t go anywhere either given Kovacic leaves at the end of the season?

But hey, at least they’ve got a stockpile of around 40 players out on loan they can call upon!

Thread Information