Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC claims another victim

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

PC claims another victim

This time it's the iconic Don Cherry:

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...-poppy-comment

I first saw Cherry on TV in the late '80s on CBC which was broadcast on our cable package here South o' the Canadian border.

He always spoke his mind: whether talking about hockey, politics or whatever. Agree or disagree with him, Don Cherry was always fun to listen to.

Sometimes, I'd totally skip the hockey game that was on and just watch Cherry and McClean in the first intermission of the Saturday Hockey Night In Canada broadcasts.

Don Cherry spoke a hard truth. For that, he paid the ultimate price.

People's Champion

Status

Re: PC claims another victim

hes an idiot and this was the final straw. im glad hes gone. Im canadian i dont wear a poppy. Hes a bigot and got what he had coming to him.

Hes said way worse about Quebecers and Europeans.

Fuck him and the people that think like him.

Theres a difference between being pc and being a bigot.

Like i said...this was the final straw for years of hearing his bigotted point of view.
    Last edited by indyfan; 11-12-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm not Canadian so I don't know too much about society and race relations there but this kind of just sounds like a TV network (an employer) being upset that their presenter (an employee) was being an asshole and publicly tarnishing their image. Seems like a justified firing to me. If he wants to do an un-PC schtick he can find someone willing to pay him for it or start his own YouTube channel.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Most Canadians I know (myself included) knew this was a long time coming. There’s no place for his rhetoric in this day and age, and I’m as anti-PC as they come.

The fact that some people are making him out to be a martyr in this situation is just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Tom Hanks Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Most Canadians I know (myself included) knew this was a long time coming. There’s no place for his rhetoric in this day and age, and I’m as anti-PC as they come.

The fact that some people are making him out to be a martyr in this situation is just sad.

Agreed.

Remember how I just got back into hockey last year, and hadn't watched it since around 05 ish? I remember him being a loudmouth dunce back then, and he still is.

This isn't just a matter of PC. Certain things are just pushing it. Don Cherry has always been a pig. He's insulted and made fun of European hockey players calling them slurs for decades. He's a dick.
    Everything will surely be alright.

WAKE UP

Status

I don't know the guy, but my girlfriend is from Toronto so I keep abreast of Canadian politics. What did this guy say that was so bad? The article just references saying people should wear the poppy, which if you are offended by that then you are a true moron.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Wow, poppy fascists aren't exclusive to the UK? I can't believe it. The absolute irony in people demanding poppies be worn is unreal. Shit's a choice.

This dude seems like a grade A dickbag. Of course, the immigrant rhetoric is played here too.

There's no 'hard truth' about this at all. If you think people should HAVE to wear poppies then you're the problem and not them.

Since when does not wearing one imply you don't give a shit?
    Last edited by RainShaker; 11-12-2019 at 07:13 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I don't know the guy, but my girlfriend is from Toronto so I keep abreast of Canadian politics. What did this guy say that was so bad? The article just references saying people should wear the poppy, which if you are offended by that then you are a true moron.
    it was a long time coming. Hes said way worse than this. He rips on french Canadians, Europeans and immigrants.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Seems to be the fact he directly called out immigrants during his banter, not just that he thinks everyone should wear them.

“You people love — you, that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.”

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Seems to be the fact he directly called out immigrants during his banter, not just that he thinks everyone should wear them.

“You people love — you, that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.”
    he also had the chance to apologize and didnt want to. He stood by his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Wow, poppy fascists aren't exclusive to the UK? I can't believe it. The absolute irony in people demanding poppies be worn is unreal. Shit's a choice.

This dude seems like a grade A dickbag. Of course, the immigrant rhetoric is played here too.

There's no 'hard truth' about this at all. If you think people should HAVE to wear poppies then you're the problem and not them.

Since when does not wearing one imply you don't give a shit?
    the main reason i dont wear a poppy is because i rarely carry money on me to donate to get one. id feel like an even bigger asshole giving them pocket lint.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I wear a poppy, but I also respect the rights of anyone that refuses to. Seems pretty simple to me.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Cardcaptor

Status

A lot of things over the period of a lot of years, about pretty much anyone who wasn't Canadian. He's always been flamboyant and incredibly xenophobic.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    A lot of things over the period of a lot of years, about pretty much anyone who wasn't Canadian. He's always been flamboyant and incredibly xenophobic.
    Ahh hes pretty xenophobic about people from Quebec too.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Ahh hes pretty xenophobic about people from Quebec too.
    That too.

He's an angry old fart who doesn't like people who aren't like him.

People enjoy him because he's a loudmouth and wears flamboyant outfits, and is "funny". He has high energy, and he likes old smash mouth hockey. But the things he says are often complete BS. Like bashing players who wear visors? Calling pretty much any sort of safety added to the game wimpy, etc. The guy clearly had too many shots to the head in his minor league days. Maybe he shouldn't bash people who actually make it into the NHL, as if he's an absolute hockey pro himself.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Grapes has been pushing the envelope for years. I'm surprised it took this long. He's 85 and Bill Burr kinda says it the best here:
    Spoiler:

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I wear a white poppy now because it symbolises my beliefs better than a red one. I'm also not keen on how the red poppy is being politicised and used anymore.

Nobody SHOULD need to wear one if they don't want to for whatever reason. If you believe otherwise and decide to target people for it then you're lowering yourself. If there are war vets out there who are okay with people not wearing them then I don't think it should be a massive issue.

It's just pretty sad that this cunt has just used it to voice a stupid opinion on immigrants. This isn't about showing respect to vets or anything like that. Dude has clearly just used the chance to be a dick to certain people.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 11-12-2019 at 07:58 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Cardcaptor

Status

Glad to see Coach Cassidy address it with class:

https://nesn.com/2019/11/bruins-bruc...rtsnet-firing/

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

On a related note, I just walked through a pro Cherry protest outside the Rogers Corporate Headquarters. I wish Indy were in TO with me right now so we could drink some good Canadian beers and go tell people exactly why they’re being anti-Canadian by supporting this dude.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    On a related note, I just walked through a pro Cherry protest outside the Rogers Corporate Headquarters. I wish Indy were in TO with me right now so we could drink some good Canadian beers and go tell people exactly why they’re being anti-Canadian by supporting this dude.

Damn right brother!!!!

i heard about the protest this morning on the news.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Intercontinental Champion

Status

I've been watching Cherry since I was a kid and like everybody has said this was a long time coming. I can render him saying stupid shit back in the 80s.
    The headlines should read "85 year old rich white man finally gets fired after decades of xenophobic comments" should of happened a long time ago.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information