Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grande Arsenal Manager Search 2018 Thread

Status

The Grande Arsenal Manager Search 2018 Thread

This totally requires its own thread. Since the club only does this once every 22 seasons.

Or it totally doesn't but us Gooners and you "why can't Wenger stay for a few more seasons" lot have a special place to speculate. Which mostly means Papa replying to Papa over and over again. But hey, I am the High Overlord or whatever the award is called for this section, so its happening.

So as I watch Arsenal manage to Arsenal away the chance at a European final, I mull the myriad of options. The media has been linking us to every manager ever, including a few who might be retired and/or deceased. "Club insider" links are pretty much as speculative. Some names are enticing and some are horrifying.

The club talked about the values they want to prioritize in a new manager, but a few of the commonly-mentioned names don't necessarily match those. And with the repeated rumor of the transfer budget this summer just being 50m, that could shave off some other options. Given that most on the board and in more senior positions at the club have very little experience in doing anything at all, let alone selecting a new manager, how this is going to unfold is rather a mystery.

My Current Top Three - as of May 3rd
    1. Leonardo Jardim, Monaco
    2. Paulo Fonseca, Shakhtar Donestk
    3. Julian Nargelsmann, Hoffenheim
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: The Grande Arsenal Manager Search 2018 Thread

Eddie Howe it will be
    I have a plan so cunning......

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

If I was Arsenal, Leonardo Jardim is the man I would go for. Showed with Monaco that he can be just as defensively adapt as attacking. Nice history with breeding young players and has that network of young talented French players.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Just stay the fuck away from Rafa.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Relentless Admin

Status

Pards needs a new club!

Say My Name

Status

I honestly think Brendan Rodgers would be the perfect appointment for Arsenal. The more I look at it he was unlucky to get the chop at Liverpool and has actually impressed at Celtic in Europe with the squad he has. Think he’s the sort of manager that will come in as well.

I don’t see Allegri, Enrique etc going near Arsenal when Chelsea will be looking as well.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Status

Fuck it, gonna be "that guy"

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Eddie Howe it will be
    I'm... not totally against this?

Mr. Howe isn't all that high on my list, but it wasn't THAT long ago that he was the hottest young manager prospect. He's still doing reasonably well with Bournemouth. He plays fairly nice attacking football. He doesn't seem particularly adept at developing youngsters, hard to say how tactical and defensively sound he is, and his transfer market dealings haven't been fantastic (might a non-issue if he has less direct input). Being young, English, loyal, and still having some unknowns has to make him somewhat appealing to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    If I was Arsenal, Leonardo Jardim is the man I would go for. Showed with Monaco that he can be just as defensively adapt as attacking. Nice history with breeding young players and has that network of young talented French players.
    Pretty much why i'm high on him. He has done really good things in Monaco. As Order mentions below, the possibility of bigger and richer jobs might make Arsenal less appealing to Jardim, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Just stay the fuck away from Rafa.
    There seems to be a lot of resistance to this idea amongst the Arsenal fanbase. But I would be quite okay with Rafa. Sorry Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Pards needs a new club!
    Might as well re-hire Wenger as the "new manager". At least we would just be fighting for 10th next season instead of facing relegation with Pards.

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I honestly think Brendan Rodgers would be the perfect appointment for Arsenal. The more I look at it he was unlucky to get the chop at Liverpool and has actually impressed at Celtic in Europe with the squad he has. Think he’s the sort of manager that will come in as well.

I don’t see Allegri, Enrique etc going near Arsenal when Chelsea will be looking as well.
    I think my resistance to Rodgers is more down to personality than him as a manager. I don't follow Scottish football that close, but I don't get the vibe that its humbled him much. He ticks quite a few of the boxes. Although lack of significant funds and lack of direct transfer control might actually curb his interest somewhat.

And think you are dead right on the biggest names. There was a story last week about Enrique demanding 250m this summer for transfers (plus a pretty massive wage himself) and is therefore out of the running. With a ton of rumors around us having to sell Bellerin to raise money and such, that could be even more problematic for a top manager that wants to come in and be competitive from day one.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

The main problem I am seeing is there's a few #2 names being thrown around as potentials for the club. I know you got the DOF or whatever he is from Dortmund but why would they be looking at someone with no manager experience?

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    And think you are dead right on the biggest names. There was a story last week about Enrique demanding 250m this summer for transfers (plus a pretty massive wage himself) and is therefore out of the running. With a ton of rumors around us having to sell Bellerin to raise money and such, that could be even more problematic for a top manager that wants to come in and be competitive from day one.
    Unfortunately, the Europa league exit is gonna play a part in this too. The bigger names will have wanted CL football too. Lack of big games + lack of funds are gonna send everyone scurrying to Chelsea I'm afraid.

Hopefully your rebuilding period is a bit quicker and less messy than ours was!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Rodgers hasn't been impressive at all in Europe - in fact that's the one detriment on his short Celtic stay right now.

He's managed to win 1 in 12 group games in the CL & also fucked up a perfectly winnable game in the Europa against Zenit. This is mostly because he refuses to change his style of play from the SPL to ECL (which tbf sounds like Wenger's stupid stubbornness).

Neil Lennon literally impressed more in Europe at Celtic than Rodgers has.

Isn't Liverpool's (former) assistant Buvac the new favourite for the job with the bookies?

And he scores goals...!

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    Rodgers hasn't been impressive at all in Europe - in fact that's the one detriment on his short Celtic stay right now.

He's managed to win 1 in 12 group games in the CL & also fucked up a perfectly winnable game in the Europa against Zenit. This is mostly because he refuses to change his style of play from the SPL to ECL (which tbf sounds like Wenger's stupid stubbornness).

Neil Lennon literally impressed more in Europe at Celtic than Rodgers has.

Isn't Liverpool's (former) assistant Buvac the new favourite for the job with the bookies?
    They got a couple of big draws against City last year but then lost a perfectly winnable game against Monchengladbach.

This year they came very close against Munich, thumped anderlecht and then inexcusably got beaten at home by them.

Celtic are in the position where third in CL group stages is the best they can hope for due to the squad (decent starting 11 - weak at the back, not much versatility) but I'm with PS - Champo League form isn't up to scratch regardless. Losing to the likes of Zenit, Anderlecht and Monchengladbach isn't the type of resume Arsenal should want their manager to have. They were also walloped a few times.

The big plus about Bren the last few years is his consistency - something Arsenal badly needs. Disparage the SPL all you want but an unbeaten season and B2B trebles (likely) is impressive and is of a winning pedigree. Give Bren 70/80 mil and I imagine Arsenal will be back in CL next year or the year after ... if you want anything else, I'd pass on him.

Underdog

Status
      Country                    France

Jose Mourinho linking his own assistant to the job, Rui Faria. Apparently he would help him carry his bags to Emirates!

Status

@Baldrick - I'm not sold on the idea of an untested manager. I mean, if hiring Eddie Howe or someone similar is "risky", what is bringing in a manager with zero actual experience as a manager? I like a lot of things about Arteta and about Klopp's "better half".... but this is one of the riskiest approaches that's been bandied about. Not much of that talk seems to becoming right from the club, though, so....

@Postman Dave - the lack of Champions League football is an issue and an non-issue at the same time. By itself, I think a "name" manager would probably still be willing to consider the job - it didn't deter Conte from taking the Chelsea, Klopp at Liverpool, or Mourinho at United. The difference is the squads and the the club intent. Arsenal are arguably in worse shape, squad-wise. And the initial indications is that there won't be money for a significant squad rebuild. You can point to big buys like Lacazette and Auba, but the reality is that Arsenal came out positive on the transfer market last summer, despite the Laca buy, and that paid for a chunk of the Auba deal. So even if one of those bigger managers was willing to take one season of Europa League football, the limited ability to reshape the squad quickly compounds the issue.

@PS & Tig - that's part of my concern with Rogers. Its not that being massively dominant in Scotland is easy or unimpressive. Its to be applauded. But he isn't really impressing with the "bigger tests". Celtic have notably more resources than any club in Scotland. By a large margin. That mitigates how impressive the dominance is just a bit. Arsenal might have the least resources of any of the big English clubs at this point. Its not that he can't do well or wouldn't do well. I'm just convinced. And I'm not comfortable taking that risk, similar to why I'm cold on Arteta, Buvac, etc.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

The one over-riding factor Rodgers would have over others is management experience in the Premier League...and he did get Liverpool closer than anyone else had to winning the league but that means nothing in the grander scheme of things.

I'd like to see a British manager given a shot though as there's too many foreign managers about again.

Status

The one over-riding factor Rodgers would have over others is management experience in the Premier League...and he did get Liverpool closer than anyone else had to winning the league but that means nothing in the grander scheme of things.

I'd like to see a British manager given a shot though as there's too many foreign managers about again.
    You know, I see statements that in the media every so often and it leaves me scratching my head. 8 of the 20 current managers are British. 9 if you include Darren Moore who played for Jamaica but is British by every other measure. Of the last 10 manager changes in the Premier League, 7 of those were British managers (again, counting Moore). The problem isn't "foreign managers". its clubs recycling the same group of veteran managers for "safety" reasons.

Honestly, couldn't care less about the nationality of the next manager. Easy for me to say - I'm English by heritage only, not by birth. Other Gooners may have preferences, obviously. I want the club to make the best decision for the club and its future. Other Prem clubs get that freedom and get defended for hiring recycled managers who will keep them safe for a time but nothing more. Similarly, I think the idea "Prem experience" is overrated. Pundits like to bandy on about it, but a good manager is going to be successful, regardless of where they have managed before. A mediocre or poor manager is rarely going to achieve better based on "knowledge". If that was the case, we wouldn't see managers with no Prem background as players or managers come in and win titles, or even just do very well. But we do.

Report today that the club likes the idea of a young manager. this is in part because our majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, also owns the LA Rams. Who hired the youngest manager in the NFL and had a great season. Call me a cynical fuck (because I am), but I can't help but think another factor is that a younger manager getting a big step up, or their first management job, is likely to cost less money to hire than someone with years of experience, and is also likely to demand less control over transfer decisions. Not to say this is the wrong approach, just that I hope its being chosen (if it actually is) for the right reasons. Not as a way to save on the contract.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post

Report today that the club likes the idea of a young manager. this is in part because our majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, also owns the LA Rams. Who hired the youngest manager in the NFL and had a great season. Call me a cynical fuck (because I am), but I can't help but think another factor is that a younger manager getting a big step up, or their first management job, is likely to cost less money to hire than someone with years of experience, and is also likely to demand less control over transfer decisions. Not to say this is the wrong approach, just that I hope its being chosen (if it actually is) for the right reasons. Not as a way to save on the contract.
    I still really don't buy into the whole Director of Football thing doing the transfers. Surely the manager should trust his scouting team and make the final decisions on what he feels is best for the team, not what some dude in a different position says is best and you have to make it work. I know there's some pretty good DOFs out there (Monchi being one of the best) but you do need a certain personality as a manager to keep your head down and just work with things you have no control over.

On the side of younger/older managers...age really should have nothing to do with it, if you're good enough, you're old enough, we all have to start somewhere.

Status

I think my perspective on the DoF is a bit skewed. I grew up on North American sports. There, a DoF type is the standard approach in all four big sports. To the point where a manager/head coach who has significant personnel control is a rarity. They call the role a General Manager, but the idea is fundamentally the same.

Also a factor for me is that English clubs - and clubs everywhere - have been moving towards specialization and delegation within the club management structures for some time. You see it all over. Managers have specialist coaches to maximize training. They have entire teams of specialists to help with maintaining fitness. Many employee tactical specialists. Wenger was basically a dinosaur in that he did everything himself. Sir Alex's ability to delegate is part of what helped him stay competitive all the way to the end. Talent spotting is a skill, which not every manager has in abundance, and talent knowledge is something that has to be constantly maintained and rebuilt. A scouting team can only do so much - this a sport where there is somewhere over 20,000 professional players in Europe's top divisions alone - a scouting team needs direction on what they are looking for. Look at how many mangers rely on existing networks, which are more and more connected to particular player agents, and that's not always to the club's long-term benefit. Taking a lot of that responsibility away from the manager just makes sense to me. I do think they should still have input, and a properly functioning recruitment process absolutely includes the manager.

Another factor is that managers are, fundamentally, selfish. Which isn't a criticism, simply a reality. But managers tend to worry about maintaining whatever level they need to maintain to ensure continued employment. And that survival instinct is understandable. Its why so many managers are loathe to give youth a chance. That's for the long term benefit of the club, but should the manager really care if they might not be there any more? Same thing with spending money - financially responsibility for long-term club health? Why care if you might not be there? At an extreme end, you have Sunderland's mess - the parade of managers spending stupidly isn't the only reason for a double-relegation, but it was a long-term factor and part of why the club is in serious financial trouble.

Fundamentally, I agree about age and experience. If a manager demonstrates the right skills to b right choice, then they are the right choice. I just have concern that the "let's get someone young" is being driven within the club for the wrong reasons (saving money) instead of the right ones (age doesn't matter).
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Report from David Ornstein that has some interesting tidbits about the job search. Arsenal want a new manager in place by the World Cup - which makes sense on a number of levels. They also "want to respect those in jobs", so not sure what that means. The report writes off Tuchel, Simeone, Low, Rogers, and Rui Faria (no idea if he was a legit candidate). Allegri could leave Juventus but his next step is unclear.

So basically.... very little new info

Jardim. Allegri. Narglesmann. Fonseca. Rafa. Any of these would make me mostly happy. Arteta, Viera, Buvac.... less sold on.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Benitez? If they allowed him the total control and allow him to go his tried and tested route he'd be a shrewd appointment.

Status

Benitez? If they allowed him the total control and allow him to go his tried and tested route he'd be a shrewd appointment.
    I respect me some Rafa. Its not a sexy or inspiring hire, but I think he would do fine. He won't get total control, though. The whole point of bringing in Sanlei and Mislintant is to move away from the Wenger model.

I would prefer Rafa to someone like Capello.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information