Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

Cardcaptor

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Tattoos

I think I'd be more than okay with getting the Cowboys star on me.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by v4yne View Post
    I think I'd be more than okay with getting the Cowboys star on me.
    I don't think anyone should be OK with that. :p

IT'S COMING HOME

Status
      Country                    England

Got these two as part of a developing sleeve.

God's Gift to God

Status

Shading on the skull is fucking dope. Curious to see the whole design once healed

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

Me too mate. It's wrapped in a kind of film they have that you keep on for 3 days (recommended).

So at the moment, there's a lot of excess ink on the inside of the film stopping me seeing what it actually looks like.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Me too mate. It's wrapped in a kind of film they have that you keep on for 3 days (recommended).

So at the moment, there's a lot of excess ink on the inside of the film stopping me seeing what it actually looks like.
    Yeah first few days are messy. I always recommend people cover fresh work for 24 hours straight if possible. Then unwrap, clean with unscented soap and rewrap overnight while sleeping. Starting day 3 let it air out and keep it lubed up with A&D Ointment.

With that much heavy shading keep that fucker full of ointment so you don't scab up

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

Everyone has different ways I suppose, my tattooist uses this wrap stuff as I said that he says to keep on for 3 days.

Then use unscented lotion/moistoriser until it fully heals.

Worked a treat for the top one to be fair.

God's Gift to God

Status

What I described is basically the same thing you're talking about really. Just make sure if you're using lotion it's unscented cause that shit will burn homie

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

I think the only difference is no fresh wrapping, it's getting put on your arm on the day then you leave it there for 3. It's a sort of sticker that you place on then have to peal the wrapping off kind of stuff, but other than that yeah.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I think the only difference is no fresh wrapping, it's getting put on your arm on the day then you leave it there for 3. It's a sort of sticker that you place on then have to peal the wrapping off kind of stuff, but other than that yeah.
    If it's a special kind of wrap I've never seen those before. Sounds cool tho. I just use some ghetto saran wrap haha

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

I'm not expert. I do what the lad tells me haha.

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

Excuse the double post... here look at the shine on it.

Status

I've just had the normal seren wrap too. And not gonna lie I usually take it off after the recommended three hours or whatever it is.

Personally as far as lotions go, for the first week I love Aquaphor. It does a great job and you can find it most places. However I also bought a small tin of tattoo goo off of Amazon. It's small and pricey but it's to keep in your pocket on the go.

Same thing with the soap I use sometimes. I keep anti bacterial non scented soap in the bathroom for cleaning when I'm home, but if I'm out and away I carry a little tube of H2ocean. It does great for cleaning and healing because it's basically salt water but without all the bacteria that would come from dipping your fresh wound in an ocean.

After the first week, I bounce back between two products. Usually a cheap dollar store vitiman E lotion, and another Amazon product I got called Hustle Butter. Again it's a smallish container and a bit overpriced but it's been absolutely my favorite product for my last few tattoos. It helps more so against the itching during that second week than any other product I've tried. Plus it has this delicious coconut butter smell to it.

My next two tattoos are going to come at the end of August and then probably late October or November. My favorite two animals a Lion and a Rattlesnake, and then a Pirate ghost ship with a jolly roger tattered in the wind.

But yeah Dmac the Spartan/warrior theme looks pretty sick, and I love the shading and design there. Just be warned those inside elbow parts are the absolute worst parts when it's healing. I couldn't bend my arm for a week on my one and it only had a little bit on the inside elbow.

IT'S COMING HOME

Status

I'm so glad you used the word Warrior because that is what I'm going for but it's always labelled Spartan, which I do understand but still...

I've actually been bending my arm today quite a bit, there's a bit of restriction due to the rapping but I was encouraged to do it because you clearly need to use your arms, I'm right handed too so it would be horrendous for me not to be able to bend it at all.

All I do with this stuff is after 3 days have a hot bath and slowly peel it off and clean off any sticky residue left behind (giggedy).

Status

My latest tattoo, one of my least meaningful in terms of bigger meanings and something a little more personal...a pirate ghost ship. I always loved pirate things as a kid, and also phantom themes, so I had this ghoulish ghost ship theme commissioned. I originally wanted the phantom as the front figure head of the ship, but my artist couldn't design it in a way that didn't make it look like a unicorn.

So we changed it up and put the skulls up top, and then the phantom down in the corner making the storm happen.

For some reason this one was more painful than any others. It was a two part season, both sessions roughly 3 and a half hours long. The first one wasn't bad, it was just doing the ship part. The second session with all the background was the painful part. A lot of sensitive areas and a lot of discomfort. It might have been worse than my St. Jude one that went right over my elbow.

By the end of both 3 hour sessions I was pretty much pushing it. My next tattoo is going to be in the same spot as the ship but on my other arm, and probably much smaller and more centred.

This is by far the biggest solid tattoo I've had, so even healing wise it's just so much to cover. I've been using the same products on my ink for the last 4 tattoos I've had and still had a lot left over, but this one has pretty much drained all my aquaphor, all my hustlebutter, all my vitamin E lotion. It's just so large. I am not even going to use my tin of tattoo goo on it, because that's small as it is and I'd probably get about a day out of it before it's gone too. Strangely though it's healing at a much faster rate than ever before too.

The first one was taken right after it was finished. The second picture was just taken today, a week after, so there's some visible peeling going on. But I wanted to get a picture of that back side since there's a lot going on back there.

I am definitely addicted though. I still have about 3 more ideas that I want done within the next 8 months.

On Vacation

Status

I'm not the same guy I was at 30 compared to 19, not the same at 30 as I was at 40.

So to do anything to my body that won't be who I am years later....nay.

An old man rocking away in his rocker with a banner that reads...BORN TO RAISE HELL...across his forearm, hahaha!

I was in the Navy, and came real close to getting a tattoo, but decided against it, glad I did.

When I was 18-20ish I had hair down to my butt, a Fu Manchu stash and wore shades indoors. That was my look. When a friend approached me about getting into insurance sells..."ah, gonna have to lose the shades, shave and get a haircut..ok?" What if I'd had a neck tattoo?
    Last edited by Emerson; 09-28-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
    I'm not the same guy I was at 30 compared to 19, not the same at 30 as I was at 40.

So to do anything to my body that won't be who I am years later....nay.

An old man rocking away in his rocker with a banner that reads...BORN TO RAISE HELL...across his forearm, hahaha!

I was in the Navy, and came real close to getting a tattoo, but decided against it, glad I did.

When I was 18-20ish I had hair down to my butt, a Fu Manchu stash and wore shades indoors. That was my look. When a friend approached me about getting into insurance sells..."ah, gonna have to lose the shades, shave and get a haircut..ok?" What if I'd had a neck tattoo?
    My career is going to be suit and tie attire, so I make sure all my tattoos would be hidden under that.

As far as regretting anything when I'm an old man, I can't see it. A lot of my tattoos are things that have changed my life, or things that I live for.

Take my Sandy Hook one for example. I am living for those 20 kids that died that day. Anytime I feel down or feel like giving up, I look at that and remember who I am living for.

Similarly with St. Jude. Despite not being Catholic anymore, he's a symbol that has been a strong one in my life since a kid. Something I've prayed to and have been inspired by.

My autism awareness tattoo, not just for my cousin but for
    The kids I've worked with on the spectrum, I can't see ever regretting that either. And my Grace tattoo, God's grace is just a concept that's changed my life and given me meaning. Also my number one name for a daughter, although I plan to adopt.

As far as a big spooky pirate ship on my arm goes, maybe who knows. I've loved Pirates since I was 5, and now I'm 22 and still love them. I'm a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates too, so that works. But all in all I think there's a psychological basis with tattoos, where it's really hard to reach a point where you regret them. Sure it happens a lot still when people are dumb and just get something stupid that means nothing to you. But I feel like if you truly are getting a tattoo that means a lot to you, and truly defines you...you won't ever regret it.

Also, my ship...I named it the Phantom's Revenge. Based on the local Pittsburgh ride in Kennywood.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    My career is going to be suit and tie attire, so I make sure all my tattoos would be hidden under that.

As far as regretting anything when I'm an old man, I can't see it. A lot of my tattoos are things that have changed my life, or things that I live for.

Take my Sandy Hook one for example. I am living for those 20 kids that died that day. Anytime I feel down or feel like giving up, I look at that and remember who I am living for.

Similarly with St. Jude. Despite not being Catholic anymore, he's a symbol that has been a strong one in my life since a kid. Something I've prayed to and have been inspired by.

My autism awareness tattoo, not just for my cousin but for
    The kids I've worked with on the spectrum, I can't see ever regretting that either. And my Grace tattoo, God's grace is just a concept that's changed my life and given me meaning. Also my number one name for a daughter, although I plan to adopt.

As far as a big spooky pirate ship on my arm goes, maybe who knows. I've loved Pirates since I was 5, and now I'm 22 and still love them. I'm a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates too, so that works. But all in all I think there's a psychological basis with tattoos, where it's really hard to reach a point where you regret them. Sure it happens a lot still when people are dumb and just get something stupid that means nothing to you. But I feel like if you truly are getting a tattoo that means a lot to you, and truly defines you...you won't ever regret it.

Also, my ship...I named it the Phantom's Revenge. Based on the local Pittsburgh ride in Kennywood.
    It appears you gave things some serious thought, and you do see where I'm coming from with this. I do know people who regret a tattoo they got long ago when they were different. I don't see that happening to you.

When I think of some of the things I did back in the day, it's hard to believe that was me.

One thing about tattoos, if I see a guy with neck tattoos, or on his face, it's.....what is this guy thinking? Good luck landing that good job. When it's an obvious...SEE SEE SEE I HAVE A TATTOO....nay.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
    It appears you gave things some serious thought, and you do see where I'm coming from with this. I do know people who regret a tattoo they got long ago when they were different. I don't see that happening to you.

When I think of some of the things I did back in the day, it's hard to believe that was me.

One thing about tattoos, if I see a guy with neck tattoos, or on his face, it's.....what is this guy thinking? Good luck landing that good job. When it's an obvious...SEE SEE SEE I HAVE A TATTOO....nay.
    Agree about neck tattoos, face tattoos, finger and hand tattoos even. They're called job stoppers for a reason. If you have a career that you're striving towards, it doesn't make sense.

It's weird because I judge those people too, and I have 7 tattoos. But it's more than that, it's their entire look. Sometimes you can read a person. But just the tattoos but how they dress, how they walk, etc.

I don't think those people are actually striving towards a serious career anyway.

For what it's worth too, a lot of places are pretty comfortable with tattoos now. I've worked in multiple preschools now with the tattoos on my arms showing. One was actually Headstart so it was an environment where I fit in, but the other was a preschool not only associated with a church but also in a medium end neighborhood. Neither had a problem with my tattoos. One 3 year old did ask me when the stamps were gonna wash off my arms though.

While working alongside CYS and going inside foster homes and meeting with parents, my tattoos actually give me an advantage when it comes to rapport. Similar to the headstart environment with low income families. To these people I look more relatable, and not just some average white dude who thinks he's above them.

So my point, tattoos aren't immediate job stoppers. On the arms especially, it's okay with employers. I haven't had to cover mine up for a job yet (and all my jobs involve kids).

But I feel like the work place isn't ready to accept tattoos on the neck or head, and probably not fingers or hands either. Those tattoos are associated still too closely with gangs. Maybe someday, but strides are being made in the direction of tattoo acceptability in the work force.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Agree about neck tattoos, face tattoos, finger and hand tattoos even. They're called job stoppers for a reason. If you have a career that you're striving towards, it doesn't make sense.

It's weird because I judge those people too, and I have 7 tattoos. But it's more than that, it's their entire look. Sometimes you can read a person. But just the tattoos but how they dress, how they walk, etc.

I don't think those people are actually striving towards a serious career anyway.

For what it's worth too, a lot of places are pretty comfortable with tattoos now. I've worked in multiple preschools now with the tattoos on my arms showing. One was actually Headstart so it was an environment where I fit in, but the other was a preschool not only associated with a church but also in a medium end neighborhood. Neither had a problem with my tattoos. One 3 year old did ask me when the stamps were gonna wash off my arms though.

While working alongside CYS and going inside foster homes and meeting with parents, my tattoos actually give me an advantage when it comes to rapport. Similar to the headstart environment with low income families. To these people I look more relatable, and not just some average white dude who thinks he's above them.

So my point, tattoos aren't immediate job stoppers. On the arms especially, it's okay with employers. I haven't had to cover mine up for a job yet (and all my jobs involve kids).

But I feel like the work place isn't ready to accept tattoos on the neck or head, and probably not fingers or hands either. Those tattoos are associated still too closely with gangs. Maybe someday, but strides are being made in the direction of tattoo acceptability in the work force.
    The bottom line for me is that its not all about me. Most adults will have a family they are responsible for, I can't worry about will some tattoo be acceptable in the job search. And, I simply don't need one. That wouldn't enhance my life in any way. Sure, we all have our thing, and if ya can make it work for you..cool.

I see a guy approaching me with a tattoo of a spider web on his neck, that's going to tell me...he tries way too hard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information