That's my review.
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Re: 2 Feb 2018 - WS3T Day 5 Promo Discussion Thread

I LITERALLY POSTED IT A MINUTE AGO JESUS WEPT YOU'RE FAST.
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by An Original Name View Post

I LITERALLY POSTED IT A MINUTE AGO JESUS WEPT YOU'RE FAST.
    I'm reading it now.

''Well, fuck'' a dozen times.
    Worker bees can leave.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Gonna go ahead and ask no one reviews my piece of garbage. :/

College is back in session and I'm taking over the amount of hours people should take.

I'm really sorry I couldn't turn in something good. I'm trying to get the magic from Mile High back lol.
    𝖍𝖚𝖗𝖙 // 𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖑

x x x x x x x x x

Tacos Rule!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    Bell Connelly: Well, fuck.

That's my review.
    Sometimes those are the only words I can use to give a review. That's basically my review for Wolfs and he is my team mate this week.

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Travis Morgan – I don’t mind the picture at the forefront of the promo. Pictures, when used well and sparingly, can certainly add to the promo. The problem is that you did use it as a substitute for descriptive writing. A picture should add to the scene but not define it. You did get the placement of the picture correct as it’s always best to do it right at the beginning of the promo and not disrupting the flow. The font color chosen needs to be something a little less straining, a little deeper and darker. There were times when your sentence structure was a bit off. Just to point out what I mean, I’ll offer up an example.

Not only was a victorious in my quest to soften this company to myself.”

Just seems like you may have lost your train of thought, and that’s okay, it happens to everyone, but a simple read over before you post will help you catch those. I LOVED how you tied in with Locke and Cage. Creating connections with other wrestlers outside of your feud is something that is SORELY lacking in the FWA right now so that was nice to see. I love that you took it upon yourself to create competition amongst the three of you. I love that you did something different with a jobber promo. It’s great to read backstory in these, and that’s primarily what they are there for, but you saw an opportunity to take a different route and I enjoyed it. I think you’ve got a good mind for this and you’ll have success here. Just read some promos from some of the top guys around here to improve upon your descriptive writing and sentence structure. Good promo, though. Week by week, my man, little improvements will take you a long way.

Gruber –
    I was reading through this promo and the first thing I thought to myself was…”Okay, Hanz has been working on his descriptive writing” and I was pleasantly surprised. That is, right until the time Hanz started to speak, because then it was like you forgot all about it.Hey, the beginning was well done, but then when he starts talking it’s like “Hanz laughs.”. “Hanz smiles.” It tells me nothing. Set the scene a bit more. Paint the picture for the reader. What was Hanz wearing? What was his demeanor? Where was Hanz?

The dialogue was okay. You addressed a lot of points, and touched on every angle of the match which was good. You could have delved into each one a bit deeper, though. But here’s my biggest issue with Hanz right now in general: He seems WAY too stiff/wooden in the way he speaks. Almost doesn’t come across natural. When I hear myself reading his promos in my head, it almost comes off as a Cesaro-esque dialogue. I know it sounds like I’m being a bit too negative on you here…it wasn’t bad at all. It was just average, though, and I’m wanting Hanz to break out from the pack. Message me sometime to talk some ideas over, if you’d like.

Wolf:
    My boy, Wolf, here showing everyone exactly what I’m talking about with his scene setting.

He could have chose to go the route of “Wolf steps into the ring.” but no, this is what he gives us:

Scanning the crowd with disgust, behind a pair of aviators, he lifts the NA Title high above his head before breaking in stride for the ring. Wolf pulls a microphone from his back pocket as he climbs the ring-steps. He steps over the top rope into the ring, slowly removing his sunglasses, resting them on the collar of his shirt. He lets the people calm a little and his music fade before he begins...”
    See how much better that sounds? How much more of a visual I get in what’s going on? Now, having said all of this, Wolf, you know that an in ring promo from a creative standpoint is never going to light the world on fire. It’s about as original as graveyard promos for Buried Alive matches or list promos for Carnal Contendership. Still though, an angry Wolf ranting and raving about everything that’s pissing him off is always a good read. Wolf pissing off the crowd literally put a smile on my face. I love how you manage to put over Zako and Galloway as legitimate threats, yet still keep Wolf confident and fearless as always. And I know you said it at the end, but you really should have addressed TJG just a bit more. Just a bit. Kudos for the Ryan Hall reference.

]Jimmy King: Because I don’t want to be a broken record, Jimmy, read what I wrote to Andie and Hanz regarding scene setting at the beginning. Rest of it down the way was solid, but the beginning is where I really start getting a feel for the promo. Man, when I was reading the beginning of the promo with Jason and Norman, you know who I got the feeling was writing it? AON. You’re hitting your stride with this character right now, bruh. I LOVE how well Norman and Fred fit into the Penny and Jason world and I really thought it would get old, but it hasn’t. You’re finding ways to keep it fresh. Clearly, you weren’t worried about Shake showing and I understand that so I just enjoyed this for what it was. Good stuff. Really want to see Jason and Penny mix it up in a more personal feud though, because as fun as it is to see this version…I really like Sadistic Mad Kingdom. I know you can hit that balanc]

Belle: This is a case of simple (in terms of scene) can work out for you in certain situations. We rarely get to see Belle doing an introspective, allowing clear thoughts to run through her head and the simplicity of the scene really added to that. This wasn’t ADD Belle…and it’s great to see that from time to time. I did like how you used ADD Belle in small doses to add some color to a pretty deep promo. It’s great to see what her relationships are doing to her. That was a great message overall, about only one person being in the spotlight and nobody wanting to be a tag team growing up. Seriously, if you promo like this every fucking week, it’s going to be a daunting task for ANYONE to take that belt from you. I said it about Randall but I think it applies to you more, you are hitting STRIDE right now. There are negatives, though. You beat the Shannon point a little too far into the ground. It’s your biggest problem right now because I feel that you’ve conquered your old proofreading issues. You have to show more restraint and know when you’re reader has gotten the point. You could have condensed the last part a bit more. The last few paragraphs were high quality but not really necessary to reiterate the same points over. Condense a bit more and you’ll be hard for anyone to take the belt from.

Eyes: I have to say…I expect better from you than to use a picture to set a scene. Andie’s new but as a veteran, I hold you to a much higher standard. It doesn’t happen often though, but as a review, it was necessary to point out. I’m loving the sort of campy over-the-top route you’re going with Eyes right now. It’s different, unique, and creative. The character comes across really well. What I didn’t like was that it was clear that you had no idea who Aaron was, and didn’t really take an opportunity to find out.

I&I – The chemistry between these two is so natural. You’ve created a babyface that is just so fun to get behind and I love that Starr has kind of fallen a bit since Mile High because it makes his story and journey so much more real and so satisfying once he does reach his goal. He’s the FWA’s Johnny Gargano right now. I can’t wait to see it when it finally does happen. I loved that Starr acknowledged his recent downswing without getting too mopey about it. It wasn’t your best by a long shot, but it was still a fun read.

The Golden One: I don’t know what it was, but the beginning just looked odd and a bit out of place. Just a personal preference, I would have preferred to see some sort of formatting there (Centering? Italics? Different font?) It just threw me, I guess.

It’s been a theme this week but you could write a book on the art of descriptive writing. You write promos without Shannon even saying a word and yet I know her mood, her expression, everything. You told me more about Shannon and who she is, without her speaking, then I could do with Garcia talking in 10 paragraphs. Amazing. I did feel that in some points it read a little like a kids book. “But for now, Shannon wants to go to sleep. Shannon is tired.” Those few parts make me feel like I’m reading a Calilou book or something, but even that’s just nitpicking. Great work.

Galloway: Most of what I say here is going to be the obvious. All dialogue with very little description. You barely mentioned Gruber. It seemed like you kind of mailed this one in. That’s okay, we’ve all done it before. I’m not criticizing that at all. There were good parts to this. I love Romeo as the mouthpiece. You’re dialogue is on point. I’m sure you’ll get back to business next week, bruh.

SCV –
    For a guy that seems to be void of personality, Manson sure is a magnetic speaker. That’s just more a testament to your writing, I know, but damn it felt like I was actually right there listening to that monologue and I found myself actually reading it out loud. I think that there was a point in there though when you started getting a little too school teacherish. I felt like in a moment you were going to bust out a blackboard and some chalk. Don’t get me wrong, the pyramid stuff was fine but to me it dragged just a bit longer than I would have liked. And then there’s BUCK, who is a breath of fresh air with his succinct thoughts in contrast to Manson’s longwinded nature. Not much negative for me to say here. Excellent job in showing the evolution of the Vultures in their short time here and in a way, you played off some the points made in Belle’s promo (not in a way that made me think you read her promo beforehand, though). You really research your opponents and it shows. Quite a few people could learn from that.Top Notch stuff.
    Last edited by Sayer; 02-05-2018 at 03:29 AM.

Tacos Rule!

Status

I will message you soon Sayer. Long work week this week and have friends coming in for the long weekend- it's Mardi Gras next Tuesday so from Sat to Tues its gonna be endless parades after parades.

As for the way I have Hanz speaking, I didn't realize it was Cesoro sounding but because I have him as a German character I try to go out my way to not have him sound American. I based the way he talks after friends that live in Germany. So the Cesoro thing does make sence in that he is from Switzerland, their national language is German too.

Tacos Rule!

Status

I never can spell Cesoro s name lol. I still call him Claudio

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Yeah, I get that, and bear in mind, thays solely my opinion. KAI and Shake and anyone else we call in to grade may love it. Its nothing personal at all.

Tacos Rule!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Sayer View Post
    Yeah, I get that, and bear in mind, thays solely my opinion. KAI and Shake and anyone else we call in to grade may love it. Its nothing personal at all.
    No, I get that. And yeah, I take all of your opinions in and try to use them. It's the only way to get better.

Circle Jerker

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Hanz – I don’t feel like I will need to go into a ton of detail over the participants in this particular tag match, as all of you are clearly holding something back for the PPV matches that are coming up. The first half of this promo was pretty well done, while the second half fell back on the more standard Hanz monologue, which sometimes can lean a tad towards over-explaining things. For the purposes of being a go-home teaser before the big show though, I think Hanz did well enough, raises the bar a little on what we hopefully see for the PPV lulz

WOLF
    – Again, same sentiment as above regarding holding back the best bits against TJG. This was one situation where I think WOLF could fall back onto the ALL CAPs yelling and not be punished for it lulz. You did an excellent job of talking up everyone else in the match and making sure every part of the narrative was touched on. Good promo which advanced the narrative and didn’t waste the opportunity to make something out of a situation where it would’ve been easy to phone it in.

Mad Kingdom – This was another solid placeholder promo which did a good job of advancing the narrative with the provided situation. As an overall recap of your last few shows worth of material, I think you’ve done an excellent job of adding wrinkles into not just Penny but with Randall so that theyre not just stereotypical ‘crazy lady’/’angry delusional man’ types. Instead, with the two cats they now have a fun-ish platform which gives people additional reason to hate on/root for them. You’ve done a very commendable job growing your characters over the course of the league, and this promo does a good job of laying out the options that either Penny or Randall could go post-league.

Eyesnsane – this latest version of Eyes has potential to be a really fun babyface, but im slightly concerned that the Black Dynamite in-jokes might go over most peoples heads, even though I personally highly enjoy them. Not saying that it cant work, but you might have to invest some promos in the future filling people in on the backstory for them to appreciate it lulz. Aside from that, you touched on Kendrick just enough and showed good command of his past, and most importantly, Eyesnsane did not sell drugs to the community. I think this gimmick is really unique in FWA right now and youre doing a very good job of running with it~

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Hanz Gruber- What did Zako do on 06.12.2017 to a wolf? That is my BD This match was booked to hype your upcoming match and yu did your job. I have enjoyed the promo.

Starr and Izzy- Let's see. You have done two scenes while one would be enough. If you want to do a second scene like this you have to ask yourself if you are going to do do/say something in the second scene you could not do in the first. Two scenes were not needed here. The scene after the match feels like it should have been part of the last show and challenging Bell also feels like it is something that does not belong here. You have to be focused on the task ahead of you. Starr is a face Sami Zayn. He needs to fight someone like Strowman.

Mason and Buck- This promo was Batman v Superman... I loved the movie while it is true it took too long and they tried to force too much into one movie. The first part - the first 5 paragraphs about the pyramid of needs too too long. It is something I like to call prelude/foreplay of the promo and it went for too long until you started to address Shannon directly and developed the characters of Mason and Buck. You wanted in the room with 7 deadly sins and I felt sad that I did not read your last sin promos. I am sucker for 7DS and I am curios how you handled the previous promos. As much as I like the idea of connecting all the promos I feel like it is too much for this promo. Instead of the beginning with pyramid you should have talked about Envy. Envy should have been central focus and the main theme of the promo.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

Tacos Rule!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfs Rain View Post
    Hanz Gruber- What did Zako do on 06.12.2017 to a wolf? That is my BD This match was booked to hype your upcoming match and yu did your job. I have enjoyed the promo.

Starr and Izzy- Let's see. You have done two scenes while one would be enough. If you want to do a second scene like this you have to ask yourself if you are going to do do/say something in the second scene you could not do in the first. Two scenes were not needed here. The scene after the match feels like it should have been part of the last show and challenging Bell also feels like it is something that does not belong here. You have to be focused on the task ahead of you. Starr is a face Sami Zayn. He needs to fight someone like Strowman.

Mason and Buck- This promo was Batman v Superman... I loved the movie while it is true it took too long and they tried to force too much into one movie. The first part - the first 5 paragraphs about the pyramid of needs too too long. It is something I like to call prelude/foreplay of the promo and it went for too long until you started to address Shannon directly and developed the characters of Mason and Buck. You wanted in the room with 7 deadly sins and I felt sad that I did not read your last sin promos. I am sucker for 7DS and I am curios how you handled the previous promos. As much as I like the idea of connecting all the promos I feel like it is too much for this promo. Instead of the beginning with pyramid you should have talked about Envy. Envy should have been central focus and the main theme of the promo.
    Zako grabbed one mid air that had lunged towards him and his woman. In his promo that day. So I used it in this promo since my tag team partner was you, Wolf... I just put my spin on the beginning of his promo that day... Hanz's side of it, how he saw it, well imagined it.

Tacos Rule!

Status

And Kai, not holding back or saving anything for the ppv. I am just trying to do my best promo I can every promo. Sometimes I do better, sometimes not. More so, not. Lol.

Indy Talent

Status

I accept the review and you bring up some good points, but the one that I don't get is "why wasn't this here last week".

Starr is arrogant, he's young, but he knows when to raise his voice and make a statement. That's why I felt he call out Bell, they have history, they were the last two on the ladder at Mile High, and he needs somewhere to go after WS3T. Starr has faced the big bads in FWA. He's fought the grizzled vet the top 5 of the main eventers. Starr's uphill battle, in my eyes, is proving himself against big names as a rookie, not a giant/monster killer.

I know you and the crew have done this for WAAAY longer than I have and I truly love being in the community, I feel like this is the one review that I had to contest.
    𝖍𝖚𝖗𝖙 // 𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖑

x x x x x x x x x

Circle Jerker

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I&I – I think you acknowledged and recognized yourself that this was a decent but not great promo this week, which considering the matchup isn’t out of the ordinary or anything. Overall, I like the direction both Starr and IVD are taking coming out of the league. Mile High showed off one side of Starr very strongly, but theres a lot to Starr that happened before that which I enjoyed both Starr and Izzy calling back to in this promo. Again, nothing mind-blowing, but what essentially amounted to a pivot promo, you certainly did not waste the space~ the challenge going forward is if or when Starr and IVD go separate ways into separate programs, then the cheeky interplay dialogue that you’ve done a good job establishing over these few weeks will have to be replaced with some other settings.

Shannon – The concept for this promo was excellent, and in the current FWA landscape it almost feels like a broken record to be noting that Shannon promos are always a cut above in concept. Having a third person narration for the entirety gave the promo very moody feel, but for me the narration also made the promo slightly disengaging, in that it kinda flies by. Also, as someones whos logged hundreds of hours on greyhounds and the like, I don’t think this promo captures the true horrors of coach travel so -100000 for not having a scene where a married couple get into a fistfight and the bus stops in Wisconsin so they can both be arrested. But back to the core issue which I had with the promo, which is honesty a nitpick but still, is that very interesting psychological perspectives are introduced in the promo, such as both being a footnote, the ‘respect’ angle which could be the seeds of a turn, and the worry about how Bell ‘reacts’ instead of her base skill, but in this format, where theyre presented as fleeting thoughts of a dozing and drooling Shannon, I think it would’ve had a much bigger impact of one of those points was extrapolated on at a deeper level. Overall, though, this was very well done, per usual

TJG – This was a good use of Rollings, I’ve gone on record before as to saying Rollings is better in small doses, like for a week where the best shots are better served being saved for the PPV. However, we’re treading that dangerous line of WWE kayfabe invading FWA again, which will always make me leery of any promo which uses that. I know that last show there was another promo which got away with WWE references and such, but I also think that you can reference past eras more vaguely without using alerting terms like “Stone Cold” or “Attitude Era”. Like if you had mentioned that WOLFs promos are stuck in ‘a different time’ then most everyone would’ve gotten what youre referring to without introducing “Stone Cold” into FWAniverse history.

SCV – I was literally using Maslow while training interns at my day job last week, so -100000 for toots stalking and then copying me. I really liked this promo because while it was not as stylish or conceptually ambitious as some of the other promos this show, this promo did the best job of not only recapping what has happened in the scope of the tag league so far, but putting an emphasis on the importance of said events, which matters a lot imo. That, combined with the usual SCV psychological subtext, give the promo a tone which really helped sell how much Manson wanted to win, despite the ‘outs’ he gave himself with the name value and ‘I will continue’ bits (both of which were good bits). Now, was it a perfect promo? No. Was it the best SCV promo to this cycle? No, I thought Day 1s was better. One thing I have to point out is format, in that we’ve seen the format of Manson monologue before a BUCK interruption a few times now. In the future it would be nice to see different settings and formatting, or else you risk building yourself a ceiling for presentation score. This also applies to the dialogue between Manson and BUCK, where the dynamic is getting too familiar week in week out. But overall I thought this was a very strong promo, deffo one of the top 2 from this show.
    Last edited by KAIZEN; 02-06-2018 at 08:55 AM.

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

I didn't feel like I forced anything with the pyramid stuff, since I wrote everything that came into my mind and didn't struggle much with that. But yeah, I can still see how that stuff can be off-putting and how it went too long for people's tastes. As for Envy, I think I would had to force stuff more with it being the central focus. As for pyramid, there was a lot to talk about, like the needs or personal and social interpretations. But for Envy, there were the stuff about Shannon's envy of Bell and that minor part with Manson's envy of Shannon and not much more I could think about. Still, thank you for giving your honest opinion. And I never saw BvS, by the way. :P
    Worker bees can leave.

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

:hide:

"You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information