Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Yeah, PAC's not been good at all since his return. Heavy or Jr. I personally am only marginally interested in what he's up to in any company. Just think he got too wrapped up in his character work to where it negatively affected his matches.
    #XI

The Graceful Assassin~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

The Cream In Your Coffee

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Yeah, PAC's not been good at all since his return. Heavy or Jr. I personally am only marginally interested in what he's up to in any company. Just think he got too wrapped up in his character work to where it negatively affected his matches.
    He's gone too far in the other direction to the majority of his career. Those first few years in WWE I thought he was a fantastic wrestler but there was nothing to his character and I knew it wouldn't work for him on the main roster. The King of the cruiserweights stuff was great character work and he sounded confident in his promo work, while still being good in-ring but not great. Bastard PAC now feels like an average wrestler cruising on reputation, a shredded body and being all character work - well suited to AEW.

I liked the David Starr match in Defiant that I posted in the VIP thread, it was raised by the crowd being into his hometown return but I think Starr knew how to work to PAC's attitude better by goading him. However I watched the Sabre Jr Rev Pro match yesterday and words fail me how dull that was. He offered nothing.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

PAC is a heel. Heels must do slow, boring wrestling amirite.

I wouldn't mind PAC in the BOSJ if I'm honest. He'd likely wrestle like he does in Dragon Gate (since he dropped the "heel character work" after his match with Flamita bombed) and probably produce some great matches. I haven't watched his Starr or Sabre matches so I can't speak about them but I'm willing to see if he can make it work in New Japan.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Devitt managed to do both the G1 and BOSJ so I can see no issue with Ospreay doing both in terms of workload. The difference is that Devitt wasn't holding a belt that involves heavies and his whole BOSJ push was to designed to make him a believable heavyweight since he'd cleared out the Juniors. It pretty much is difficult to book Ospreay into not winning the tournament unless he faces someone who can also be a believable heavy (such as Shingo).

I think we'll get a Dragon Lee vs Shingo final. That'd be so dope.

Wouldn't mind PAC in but I don't see him finishing up with DG in time but I could be wrong. Just don't see him dropping the dream gate anytime soon. I thought he's been pretty good in DG tbh. The Flamita match was sucky and I get what they were going for but I doubt people are interested in rest holds from PAC. Not seen his shit elsewhere but I think he suffers from the crowd not wanting to properly invest in him as a heel in DG too. Which is fair enough given how he was before. But yeah, I think he'd be fine in BOSJ but I don't see it happening unless NJPW planned to keep him on. No chance he's going to win it (lol if he did) and no chance he's going to accept being jobbed out to El Desperado.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Hall of IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champions (Feb 1986 - Jan 2019)

Credit to DaExtinctOne on reddit

The Cream In Your Coffee

Status

More contract season news. Beretta and Chuck Taylor are finishing up with NJPW after the New Beginning Tour (Meltzer). They are thought to be signing with AEW which is more indication that there's not much of a New Japan/Elite relationship at the moment.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Ah shit, I liked Beretta alot too. Be funny if this was a swerve and he won the US belt.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

NJPW have deleted Cody, Bucks, Page and KUSHIDA profiles from their website. Kenny and Jericho are still up.

Trent & Chuckie T have been removed as well

WAKE UP

Status

Finally watched the eleven star Okada-Omega title switch match, and thought it was mostly pretty boring. I wouldn't say it was outright bad, apart from them treating spots Tombstones on the apron and a reverse rana on the floor as nothing spots, but just mostly boring and uninteresting. I actually liked their Dome match from 2017 even though the first half was really boring also, because the second half was an exciting "underdog has match of his life trying to dethrone the ace" story. This was similar but the whole first hour felt like time filler until the dramatic final fall. I enjoyed most of everything after the hour-ish mark when they were selling the exhaustion of the match and struggling to hit basic moves, but even that was no near as exciting as the 2017 match close. I've seen plenty of great hour long matches, but this didn't feel like one. Bryan and Aries they are not.

Come @ me new japan fans

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

You know nothing

This is one of those matches where I feel you'll have to be fully invested in the wrestlers, the feud and story around the match as it relies on being totally engrossed in the match to feel the tension they were going for. Now in someways that's a criticism of the match because non New Japan fans, such as yourself, will not be bought in to the match as much as I would be. For example, there sure was tons of filler in the early parts of the match, that's to be expected with a match of this length, but watching it live, I felt that the tension of the falls made up for that whereas others would feel it's just boring filler because they lack the emotional connection that regularly fans would. It depends on the outlook you have on the match I guess. So I totally get why you and others would find the match boring. It goes a long time and if you're not a fan of either guy, it can be very hard to get sucked into a match like this. It's not without its flaws and I guarantee if I watch it again I'd like it far less like I did with Okada vs Omega II but still one of my favourites from 2018. It had an incredible closing stretch (I agree that the WK 11 match had a better one too). Good selling which isn't a strong point of either guy, and it did a fairly great job of carrying the drama of the bout from start to finish w/ little dull periods.

The Cream In Your Coffee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Finally watched the eleven star Okada-Omega title switch match, and thought it was mostly pretty boring. I wouldn't say it was outright bad, apart from them treating spots Tombstones on the apron and a reverse rana on the floor as nothing spots, but just mostly boring and uninteresting. I actually liked their Dome match from 2017 even though the first half was really boring also, because the second half was an exciting "underdog has match of his life trying to dethrone the ace" story. This was similar but the whole first hour felt like time filler until the dramatic final fall. I enjoyed most of everything after the hour-ish mark when they were selling the exhaustion of the match and struggling to hit basic moves, but even that was no near as exciting as the 2017 match close. I've seen plenty of great hour long matches, but this didn't feel like one. Bryan and Aries they are not.

Come @ me new japan fans
    Oddly enough, the 2018 title change match is the only match that I think is great. I was highly critical of the 2017 matches, but the 2/3 falls match really surprised me how much I was into it.

Status

Kota Ibushi has reportedly signed a 2 year deal with New Japan
    Pretty interesting if it's a true report.

Thread Information