Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MC 16's Puro Reviews

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Re: MC 16's Puro Reviews

Kanemoto is one of the greatest of all time in-ring and still was one of the best going in that time.

WAKE UP

Status

Man it could be us coming into puro and new japan at different times, but I think you are being way too generous on this 2010 stuff. The only match of those I remember liking at the time was Nakamura vs Goto. I remember people hyping the Nakamura vs Takayama match but it went about twice as long as it should have done considering Tak's physical state by this point IMO. End part was fun though.

By 2010 Marufuji had become pretty terrible IMO and relied heavily on superkick spamming, a bunch of convoluted movez-y offence and working really forced 'epics'. Now that I write that I'd compare him to the Bucks, which is a comparison that only just clicked. I pretty much hated all of his NJPW run. I wouldn't even call that a Top 50 Kanemoto match (or Marufuji's either really). If you want to see NJ vs NOAH, I cannot recommend the 2003-ish stuff enough, and the 2009(?) stuff was also great.

I'd be interested to see what you think of AKIRA vs Yoshihashi from that year, a real hidden gem and personally I enjoyed it more than any of the other Jr matches that year.

EDIT - I don't mean to come across as a dick, but there is a tonne of other stuff I think you'd dig if you check out the above periods mentioned

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Man it could be us coming into puro and new japan at different times, but I think you are being way too generous on this 2010 stuff. The only match of those I remember liking at the time was Nakamura vs Goto. I remember people hyping the Nakamura vs Takayama match but it went about twice as long as it should have done considering Tak's physical state by this point IMO. End part was fun though.

By 2010 Marufuji had become pretty terrible IMO and relied heavily on superkick spamming, a bunch of convoluted movez-y offence and working really forced 'epics'. Now that I write that I'd compare him to the Bucks, which is a comparison that only just clicked. I pretty much hated all of his NJPW run. I wouldn't even call that a Top 50 Kanemoto match (or Marufuji's either really). If you want to see NJ vs NOAH, I cannot recommend the 2003-ish stuff enough, and the 2009(?) stuff was also great.

I'd be interested to see what you think of AKIRA vs Yoshihashi from that year, a real hidden gem and personally I enjoyed it more than any of the other Jr matches that year.

EDIT - I don't mean to come across as a dick, but there is a tonne of other stuff I think you'd dig if you check out the above periods mentioned
    Well if you think I'm being too generous, I'm really down on the next bunch of matches I watched, including one Marufuji match. But I can see why your outlook my differ. It does matter what time you started watching, I think. I'm parachuting in on Takayama so the decline of his health isn't clear, so I enjoyed him from what he was, even if it's not prime Takayama. Nakamura was the person I was invested the most in the match which might of helped.

I'm aware of people's thoughts on Marufuji. And I perfectly understand it. I actually don't like his NOAH stuff around this time from what I've seen, honestly. So I do see why Marufuji would suck to a few people. I don't like the running towards the ropes/following in spots, for example. But the matches just hit for me.

And yeah, I have watched a ton of the earlier NOAH vs NJ matches. Tons of fun, much better than they are in 2010.

As for AKIRA vs Yoshihashi, thanks for the rec. I'm only really going off what I can find online, what looks important and good, etc. And I'm planning to go through the whole decade, or most of it which is a factor in me missing or over looking some matches. Will try and look for it though.

Don't worry about coming across badly. I had a feeling you would say this based on the type of wrestling you seem to enjoy. .

-Re: Zero-

Absolutely agree. I always have trouble connecting with Liger compared to the way I do with Kanemoto. Kanemoto has a bunch of go to matches for 90s New Japan as far as Juniors go.

WAKE UP

Status

Prime Takayama is one of my all time favourites, he could still go in 2010, but his body was starting to fall apart by then.

Will be interesting to see what you think of the promotion if you are doing a long project over the decade. I am trying to think of any other matches from 2010 I'd recommend but it was a really poor year I think. 2011 was better but not by a lot. This whole period was kind of an in-between phase for New Japan - a lot of the older guys from the previous decades were broken down and not hot acts, and they hadn't yet got the new breed of stars in guys like Okada and Naito. Ishii was also just a jobber for the most part. They were very heavily reliant on Tanahashi and Nakamura who were inconsistent at the best of times.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJ World NJPW Wrestling Dontaku & Yoshitatsu is a Junior~!

I think over the decade I'll try and do the best matches or the biggest moments rather than every match I can fine (only got 4 months to really do it). I've done something similar with WWE and it's seemed to cover everything I needed to. It'll be interesting to see how different my outlook is and how will I think of certain wrestlers over the decade (mainly Tanahashi). You're definitely right about it being a traditional period. I've watched bits and piece of this era so I got a rough idea of what to watch (although things to do slip the cracks like AKIRA vs Yoshihashi), what's something I won't like, etc.

CMLL World Middleweight Title Match: Negro Casas (c) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2010 03/05/2010
    This is a legit dream match to some people. I don’t think of it in that way but it still a pretty damn big match and it’s on the midcard of a Dontaku show. They start off with the lucha pin, push off covers before Casas’ maestro instincts come in and he starts picking at Liger’s ankle/leg. Both men are great on the mat so we great some lovely exchanges of with Casas getting the advantage numerous times. Casas is great in control. He has a very aggressive offence with his strikes and the general way he treats his opponents. It felt very rough. Liger was good, loved his determination not to let Casas have anything on him. Like constantly fighting out of an arm trapped roll up attempts with Casas needing multiple tries before successfully hitting the pinning move. The finish was very atypical of matches in the middle of the card, some counters but nothing too big. Liger winning with the Thesz press stunned me though. A good 10 minute match. ***1/2

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Naomichi Marufuji (c) vs Ryusuke Taguchi - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2010 03/05/2010
    The match started out fine - a few mirror spots and counters but Taguchi gets the better of Marufuji and attacks the right arm of Marufuji after posting him. The match was really boring and tepid with the crowd not interested at all compared to the Marufuji matches against Devitt, Kanemoto and Liger. Maybe the Korakuen Crowd would’ve been more suited for this match but it’s not helping the match at all. There match got a little better once they started pulling out their aerial offence. Marufuji always can bring a match to life with his frightening dropkicks or moonsault off the top rope. There was even a pretty good counter by Taguchi into a cross armbreaker after a clothesline attempt of the ropes. The crowd slowly got into it (and Taguchi) after a few near falls but then the match ended shortly thereafter with the Tiger Flowsion. A flop of a match and what it tried to accomplish. The match had its good spots but most pretty bad. *3/4

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Togi Makabe - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2010 03/05/2010
    The match pretty much showed the mentality of these two. When Makabe goes on offence, he starts through some heavy, power man offence against Nakamura’s mat based work designed to slow the pace, and Makabe, down. And when Nakamura realised that wasn’t going to work, to the ribs he went, lying in his vicious ground knees. I loved Nakamura’s attempts to defend against Makabe’s comeback by locking on a front face lock when Makabe was pushing him towards the ropes. Something so simple and yet you’ll often see the wrestler let their opponents do just that. The fans get behind Makabe which Nakamura replies with dropping Makabe on his head with a suplex. Makabe isn’t at his best as a face but I think he brings it here. His offence is simple but effective and the crowd rally behind him easily. Makabe completely messes up a shoulder breaker though but recovers with a nice german suplex and a powerbomb. We got a great tease of a finish with Makabe missing the King Kong Knee Drop and Nakamura following through with the Boma Ye, which was the finish of his last matches (move from opponents big move and hit the Boma Ye). There is an awesome cross armbreaker counter to Makabe’s Lariat which ends with Nakamura unable to extend Makabe’s large arms and Makakbe being able to stomp on Nakamura’s face. Makabe then hits the Spider Suplex and then two knee drops (one on the ground and the other to a rising Nakamura - Tanahashi style) to win the IWGP Heavyweight Title!!!! After losing to Nakamura in the fall last year in a deciding title match, Makabe got the win back over his guy that took his stable (GBH) and beat him to become champion. No sweeter revenge than that. A good main event. Probably missing a few bits to be truly great but well worth checking out if you’re a fan of Makabe. ***1/2

BOSJ Block B Match: AKIRA vs. Nobuo Yoshihashi - NJPW Best Of The Super Junior XVII ~ Strike Gold ~ Day 1 30/05/2010
    Oh wow. Yoshihashi has the same hair and goatee only less blonde. This plays out nicely as the young lion vs vetran match with Yoshihashi showing tons of fire and determinations with AKIRA working smartly, going for the leg. Yoshihashi returns the favour with some nice leg based attacks of his own with a dragon screw off the top rope. And credit to Yoshihashi, he bumped his butt off and made everything AKIRA did seem much more impactful. AKIRA was impressive - the transition into the STF he did was wonderful. The match had a nice claimax to it as well with Yoshihashi hitting some big moves only to have AKIRA kickout, building and building to the win which got the fans to pop big. Good 12 minute match. ***1/2
    Last edited by MC 16; 09-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information