Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MC 16's Puro Reviews

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: MC 16's Puro Reviews

2018-12-08.jpg

Koji Kanemoto vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax Day 6 (13th of August 2004)

Just to set the scene by giving a bit of background to this match. Koji Kanemoto, most famous for his feud with Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, popular Junior Heavyweight in the 90's and 00's and was the third Tiger Mask, is taking part in the G1 Climax 2004 looking to prove himself amongst the Heavyweights of the company after accomplishing everything as a Junior. Even coming second place in that years Best Of The Super Juniors Tournament just falling short to Tiger Mask IV. So far he has earned four points beating the likes of Yoshihiro Takayama (Forfeit) and a young Togi Makabe. Hiroshi Tanahashi whilst not at his once in a century status just yet, seems to be on the cusp of glory and is destined for big things, eventually heading to the finals of this years G1 Climax. Can the veteran, recently junior turned heavyweight use his experience to outsmart and beat the future ace or will Tanahashi continue his good record? We'll see.

-

Grumpy heavyweight Kanemoto is the bloody best, isn’t he? Early Tanahashi was AWESOME too. The start of the match was excellent with the two exchanging some slick grappling and counters, Kanemoto schooling Tanahashi technically but Tanahashi using his power to hold his own. Then they smoothly transitioning into Kanemoto beating the piss out of Tanahashi with wicked slaps w/ a few shoot punches mixed it with the slaps/palm strikes. It was awesome. Tanahashi acting heelish, using Kanemoto’s boot face wash against him but Heavy Koji was having none of that and roughed him up so more, kicking him flush in the face quite a few times. The finishing stretch was like 5 minutes long but kept up the tempo and was highly compelling with each other beginning to get their heavy shots in and Tanahashi making a comeback, hitting his suplexes but Kanemoto refusing to stay down. Kanemoto kicking out of the High Fly Flow and the arm traped suplex AT ONE (!!!) and began kicking the hell out of Tanahashi w/ the crowd totally behind him just begging for a Kanemoto win. It was not to be on this night after Tanahashi finally put Kanemoto away with the dragon suplex after multiple suplexes beforehand but oh my, what at a night it was. Honestly didn’t expect this match to be THIS high level but they pulled it off. Perfect example for why Kanemoto is an all time great. He was able to pull of his usual grumpy, angry demeanor but be charismatic and sympatetic while doing so. It's an art very few can master, and Kanemoto did just that. ****3/4

Relentless Admin

Status

Unless I'm getting the year wrong I think it was Steve who said the 2004 G1 was great all round because you had the batch of young guys like Shibata, Tanahashi and Nakamura, against the crop of current top guys and then legends like Tenryu. I've only seen the final with Tanahashi and Tenzan and while their were flashes of the the ace in that match, it sounds like this was a different class of performance.

Kanemoto in general is someone I've never seen a lot of.

WAKE UP

Status

It was 2004 yes - best G1 by a lot. I don't remember much about that match other than thinking it was one of the lesser matches in the tournament, if I was to find the thread on the board I was on at the time I doubt it cracked my Top 5. Kanemoto vs Nishimura on the other hand was pretty great.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Unless I'm getting the year wrong I think it was Steve who said the 2004 G1 was great all round because you had the batch of young guys like Shibata, Tanahashi and Nakamura, against the crop of current top guys and then legends like Tenryu. I've only seen the final with Tanahashi and Tenzan and while their were flashes of the the ace in that match, it sounds like this was a different class of performance.

Kanemoto in general is someone I've never seen a lot of.
    Oh yeah, this G1 is great. A lot of the best matches are easy to find online too. Like Kanemoto vs Nishimura and Sasaki vs Takayama which are great matches too. Loads of recognisable wrestlers so it's not too much of a transition to make like other G1s.

Koji Kanemoto is a great wrestler with some stand out matches like the ones against Jushin Thunder Liger and Dr Wagner Jr that are worth a watch.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

AKI.jpg

Jun Akiyama vs. Katsuyori Shibata - WRESTLE-1 Grand Prix 2005 - Opening Round (04/08/2005)

Young Shibata is the best. He is very reckless with his striking and super stiff with everyone he faces. Most matches with young Shibata I've seen of him always results in him losing but he is always looks like he belongs in the ring with them despite the loss. He always seems on the verge of that big win only to just lose. Something very compelling to his game. Very babyface like. Now whilst he isn't the complete package here, you can see little parts of the Shibata we know recently. His dominance, his body language, etc. Jun Akiyama is Jun Akiyama. Akiyama is coming off his amazing performance at NOAH Destiny teaming with Makoto Hashi against Minoru Suzuki & Naomichi Marufuji which resulted in a loss and this is a different ball game. This takes part in WRESTLE-1's first (out of two) show. It's not the Wrestle-1 that we know today. WRESTLE-1 was founded by Fumihiko Uwai, former New Japan booker and Sadaharu Tanikawa, who works with K-1. The company only had two shows and closed by the end of the year. This was apart of a tournament which was on both shows and was ultimately never finished.

This was as stiff and raw as you can get in a match. Katsuyori Shibata goes all out for this, attacking early on with a jumping kick, and busts Akiyama up early on with his stiff kicks to the face. Akiyama retaliates by throwing him into the crowd and beats on him with his brutal knees. Shibata re-establishes control and beats down Akiyama once more, peppering him up with palm strikes and kicks. Akiyama makes his comeback and throw Shibata around with reckless abandonment, throwing him onto a table following it up by a piledriver on the exposed concrete. Then they go back and forth for the rest of the match, mixing up between suplexes and strikes. There is one point where Akiyama hits the exploder suplex and Shiabta no sells it to hit a belly to back suplex which Akiyama no sells in turn. It was a really awesome spot and the timing for it was really good. Went crazy for it myself. There is another spot where they two throwing wild strikes, knees and kicks at each other which sends the crowd wild. One thing I want to mention is Shibata's bumping which is excellent here. It adds to the underdog tons he has in this match, makes Akiyama look like a beast and gets the crowd behind him. There are a few criticisms I have with the match though. Several times in the match, Akiyama slows down the pace with rest holds and it was very jarring watching the match. For example, Akiyama locked on a sort of body scissors on Shibata in the middle of the match and it didn't fit with the intense tone the match set before and after the hold. It didn't flow into the match at all and it really stood out to me. Small criticism though. Other than that, this was a fantastic match with two really great performances by both Jun Akiyama and Katsuyori Shibata. ****1/2
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-03-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Relentless Admin

Status

Oh, I thought it was the same Wrestle-1, educational review.

Saw the opening 30 seconds of this match on twitter yesterday, looked a blast. Perhaps that's where you got the idea to review it from.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Oh, I thought it was the same Wrestle-1, educational review.

Saw the opening 30 seconds of this match on twitter yesterday, looked a blast. Perhaps that's where you got the idea to review it from.
    Yeah. I always wanted to watch this match but I never did but the clip hooked me.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

ezgif-2-41a3560c217e.jpg

IshinGun (Animal Hamaguchi, Isamu Teranishi, Kuniaki Kobayashi, Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu) vs. SeikiGun (Antonio Inoki, Kengo Kimura, Nobuhiko Takada, Tatsumi Fujinami & Yoshiaki Fujiwara) - NJPW Big Fight Series II 1984 - Day 19 (19/04/1984)

I tried getting much background behind this but I couldn't find much beyond Inoki and Choshu are having this big feud with Choshu and his Ishin Gundan stable invading New Japan. It's a big deal either way.

The match kicks off with Tatsumi Fujinami and Kuniaki Kobayashi. Some may know him from his match with Tiger Mask II or Mitsuharu Misawa in All Japan in 1985 which turned out to be Misawa’s first WOR awarded 5 star match. He looked great here but Fujinami was the clear focus with him getting the victory and going on to face two other guys, Isamu Teranishi and Yoshiaki Yatsu. He showed off his great underdog aura being able to get crowd behind him really easily, selling and making the others look like killers in the process. One point in his match with Isamu Teranishi, he did an excellent job of selling the hand work by Teranishi who zeroed in on the hand as soon as he got in the ring, and barely used the hand for the rest of the match. Fujinami was eventually eliminated by Yoshiaki Yatsu but his performance showed great things for Fujinami who was the WWF International Heavyweight Championship at the time as well as being a former WWF and NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion. Yoshiaki Yatsu's match with a younger Nobuhiko Takada was one of my favourite parts of the match. Takada is on the defensive for the entire match and sells Yatsu's beat down very well but keeps on fighting to stay alive so Yatsu goes nuts trying to pin Takada and hits everything he can. Not letting up at all, showing tons of urgency to end the match by following Takada everywhere including to the outside and eventually pins Takada with a scoop slam. Then when Kengo Kimura gets in the match, he is then on the defensive, cheating and trying any trick to get the win. Another guy key who I thought was great in this match was Animal Hamaguchi who I thought was great with his slow, methodical approach to the match, taking his time and picking his spots. I always enjoy Hamaguchi whenever I watch him and this was no different. Then he went ultra nasty with Yoshiaki Fujiwara by going after his cut and biting it, opening it back open. Him and Fujiwara’s little exchange was the most intense part of the match in terms of pure hate. Very stiff and aggressive from both. Gnarly stuff and I think it added to the heat and intensity of the match, all leading to a double countout of course. Now the crowd are still fully invested in this match going mental for the entrances of Riki Choshu and Antonio Inoki, the leaders of their teams, being arguably the loudest they’d been for the rest of the match. Whilst I thought Choshu/Inoki didn’t exactly match the intense feel that the rest of the match had set, it was still pretty good with the grappling exchanges still being highly compelling (so compelling that I didn't even take notes for this match as I was so engrossed in the wrestling). The ending spot with Inoki locking on the Octopus Hold on Choshu for around 2-3 minutes before the ref stopped it.

One of the hardest things a wrestler can do is try to keep the fans invested in a match that goes over 60 minutes long. Usually there is a lot of downtime in the beginning with an action packed ending to help keep the match for burning out towards the end of the match but there is very little downtime at all. Even given that most of the wrestlers don’t last very long, the pace the match goes at is still pretty extraordinary. The crowd is hot, and I mean hot, for all of the match. Constantly going wild for the wrestling whether no matter the pairing. There was great individual performances by Yatsu, Fujinami and Hamaguchi, very hot crowd and a great ending. It’s very highly regarded as one of the best New Japan matches of the 80’s and I would have to agree with that praise. One of the best gauntlet matches I’ve seen and, surprisingly given the run time, a very, very easy watch. ****3/4

* The match is available to Download on the Ditch site if you wish to watch it.
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-24-2019 at 07:01 PM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Screenshot_20190318-192423.jpg

Danshoku Dino (c) vs. Antonio Honda | KO-D Openweight Title Match - DDT Into The Fight 2012

Going into this expecting a big comedy match that goes 30 minutes. Both guys are prolific comedy guys, perhaps two of the most proflic comedy wrestlers of this century. And I certainly got some of that. Got some light comedy from both guys in the beginning, exchanging foot stomps. Honda trash talking with a mouth full of water. Stuff like that. It was very amusing but Honda also begun working on the arm of Dino with Dino selling it pretty well, now switching his punching arm to his left (with the right arm being worked on). Then the match flipped a switch when Honda got busted open off the turnbuckle. The match turned from very good to epic. Honda's face got covered pretty quick and the match turned into a slug fest with the two going ham on each other with wild punches, drawing more blood. It also lead to the great visual of Dino being sprayed with Honda's blood. Looked grim and like something you'd see Midsouth or Memphis. Dino still continued to sell the arm which is even better. Honda continues on with his arm work without dropping it like most brawls can do, and locks on the tightest lock looking Anaconda Vice I've seen in wrestling. The finish stretch is a good one with Dino hitting all his big offence, moonsault, shining hump (basically a double knee strike with his crotch) and Danshoku Driver. A great finale to an awesome match. Not exactly what I expected from this match but I came out of it enjoying it a whole lot more than I expected. Seeing a comedy match transition into a bloody slugfest so seamlessly is something to behold. It just shows that just because they are mainly comedy guys, it doesn't mean they can't work a lick because they had a great match with two amazing performances that would fit anywhere. ****1/2
    Last edited by MC 16; 03-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

tfhansen.jpg
    Stan Hansen vs Terry Funk - AJPW Grand Champion Carnival I - Day 20 (14/04/1983)

I think we found a winner for the best match that ended in a DQ. This was nothing short than a mauling by Hansen. It really seems more like a segment than an actual match. Started out normal enough, then Funk got busted open and Hansen smells it like a shark and begun unleashing a barrage of stiff punches and nasty knee drops. The match really highlighted the strengths of both men. Funk sold his butt off for Hansen by bumping all over the place like only he could, making Hansen look like a beast in the match. Excellent babyface performance by Funk only matched by Hansen being the aggressor, a role which Hansen excells in. I loved the hope spots Funk had in the match too. Funk going for the knee and desperately trying to end the match with the spinning toe hold whilst dripping with blood, giving us an awesome visual in the process. Crowd was going mental from the entrances to the finish. The aftermath with Dory Jr coming out to save his brother was really good, and of course, Funk still crawling around the ring, selling the damage Hansen inflicted on him perfectly. It all connected really well to make it what it was. Great match. ****3/4

Relentless Admin

Status

I remember this being one of the early Stan Hansen matches I ever watched. It does feel more like a angle/set up for a bigger match down the line and something to establish Stan as a crazy bastard heel. I mean Funk was a crazy bastard too to take that beating, but he's at least loveable

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I remember this being one of the early Stan Hansen matches I ever watched. It does feel more like a angle/set up for a bigger match down the line and something to establish Stan as a crazy bastard heel. I mean Funk was a crazy bastard too to take that beating, but he's at least loveable
    Maybe but this may have also just been a typical 80's Japan DQ finish so both guys don't job.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

DDT Wrestle Peter Pan 2019 Review

ezgif-5-3eac6b6c8df6.jpg

DDT Wrestle Peter Pan 2019

Kazusada Higuchi & Ryota Nakatsu vs. Kota Umeda & Kouki Iwasaki

What a send-off for young Kota. Being beaten, kicked and slapped - the wrestler's way. There was a nice showcase for Nakatsu and Higuchi as well, with the two being in control for the majority of the match. Iwasaki looked good, mostly just being the cut off guy and doing a decent job at that. A good match for the opener. ***

Saki Akai vs. Yoshiko

A solid match. Yoshiko killing Saki Akai was fun. **1/4

DDT Extreme Title IPPON Fluorescent Lighttube DeathMatch: Akito (c) vs. ASUKA

The way this match works is the first person to break the Lighttube losses. Pinfalls are still a thing.

This was awesome. One of the more innovative matches that few companies can pull off. The way they laid out traps for each other was great, and the way they got out of them was better. Akito was so smooth and quick, really impressed with this. ASUKA did a great job of working in her moves to flow with the match too. ****1/4

DDT Iron Man Heavy Metal Title Match: Toru Owashi (c) vs. Lucky Ikeda

In a shocking upset, guess celebrity, Lucky Ikdea (choreographer), with the help of some others, pins Owashi before he can make his entrance and wins the title!

DDT Iron Man Heavy Metal Title Time Difference Battle Royal: Lucky Ikeda (c) vs. Antonio Honda vs. Gorgeous Matsuno vs. Hiroshi Yamato vs. Joey Ryan vs. Kazuki Hirata vs. Kuro-chan vs. Mad Paulie vs. Makoto Oishi vs. Pokotan vs. Shiro Koshinaka vs. Tomomitsu Matsunaga vs. Toru Owashi vs. Yuki Kamifuku vs. Yukio SakaguchI

Similar to a Royal Rumble but pins count

Great battle royal with all the DDT Vets and current roster doing their greatest routines. Antonio Honda did an incredible rendition of his Gon The Little Fox story. The post match angle where Ikdea tries to pin Sakaguchi only to fail was hilarious. ***1/2

Hideki Suzuki vs. Yukio Naya

Wasn’t feeling this at all. Naya is awful to watch. Hideki just spent the entire match pummelling him and throwing chairs at him but not even that could save this match. *

Chris Brookes & Masahiro Takanashi vs. Moonlight Express (MAO & Mike Bailey)

Moonlight Express does it again!! The chemistry was off the charts here. Both teams being able to blend both singles and tag wrestling into one and make a superb match out of it. MX shined with their double team offence and flying ability - Bailey standing out as the star of the match in the process. And Brookes and Takanashi working better than I expected, having some nice tag moves and being good foils for MX to work their magic with. ***3/4

O-40 Title Weapon Rumble Match: Super Sasadango Machine vs Sanshiro Takagi

This is a very simple match. Every 1-2 minutes, a weapon is allowed into a match for the wrestlers. For example: the first weapon is for Takagi and then the next weapon is for Sasadango. The weapons can be many things, including other wrestlers.

This was amazing. Great comedy from start to finish - the call back to Takagi using Mao’s (this time against Sanadango) phone number as a weapon only to get it turned on him was excellent. The powerpoint presentation was just wonderful. The match was roughly 30 minutes long but they did the match so well, it didn’t matter. Tons of fun sitting through. ****

Danshoku Dino vs Shinya Aoki

Yet another awesome Aoki match, of course in a different style than he has done previously. Loads of components in this, the courtship, Aoki trying to lock Dino in holds, Dino trying to kiss and dry hump Aoki. All worked perfectly. The round addition to the match was a nice one as it broke up the match, allowed them to try different things. ***3/4

KO-D Tag Team Title Match: Urashima (Yasu Urano & HARASHIMA) vs DAMNATION (Soma Takao & Daisuke Sasaki)

A high calibre bout, for sure. Tremendous performance by Soma, who can sometimes get lost in matches but this was his show. Sure, Urano and HARASHIMA was great as a duo and everything they brought to the match but Takao stood out to me. The early portions with him and HARASHIMA going at it, the fire and energy in the closing stretch, his selling. Urano and Sasaki was great just being the partners they had to be, adding their own flavour and personalities into the mix. Takao and Sasaki are delivering on all cylinders in this title reign. ****1/4

KO-D Openweight Title Match: Konosuke Takeshita vs Tetsuya Endo

Oh boy! This was absolutely tremendous. I was worried at first because the first few minutes made me think that this would be a slow burner where they'd do 15 minutes of mat work and then 5 minutes of the finishing stretch after a 7 hour show, which would've been so moronic and tone deaf BUT they didn't do that, thankfully. Instead that had a great match which was built around Takeshita working over Endo's back, Endo selling, gaining sympathy and making sensational comebacks. The pacing was tremendous too. The first few minutes were the breaking in periods but from then on, this was a very competitive pace to it. Building and building to the finish. Takeshita destroying Endo's back, in some cases, just throwing him with zero regard to the outside. Even suplexing him on the edge of the apron. Endo's selling was great. He was still getting his usual offence in but you could clearly see the damage and fatigue that the match had on him. The way Endo would have his little spurts of hope before Takeshita hit a massive move was so good. The atmosphere wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be - mostly attributed to Endo was his fantastic babyface performance in this match. ****3/4

Overall thoughts

Not including the pre-show, this is almost six hours long but don't let that put you off, this is one of the best well paced shows you'll ever see. There were little breaks you could take inbetween matches, tons of variety to break up the matches. Tons of comedy, if you're into that. Tons of serious wrestling, if you're into that. It has one of my favourite matches of the year in the main event.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

It was a good show, I enjoyed Hideki beating the crap out of Nara, you're wild about that. I also liked the Moonlight Express tag more than the semi-main but both were good. The Lighttube match was entertaining and I surprisingly enjoyed the comedy matches except for the Dino match which was predictably horrible.

I liked the main event, will probably have to rewatch it because even though there was a lot of decent stuff, it was still way too long which is their big problem on literally every big show. But it's brave to run a big card like this for free admission and free online.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Triple Crown Title Match: ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams (c) vs. Kenta Kobashi - AJPW 03/09/1994

This was a big occasion since this was Dr Death’s first title defence of as Triple Crown champion since defeating Misawa in July. Who better to defend against that Kobashi after their great match in 93? And this was pretty much on par with that, only twice as long.

The match started off a little slow with a few mano e mano spots, trading chops, a test of strength spot, even a shoulder block where Kobashi knocks Willams down and hits a stunning crossbody to the outside from the top rope. I think that they do a really good job of establishing Kobashi as a threat that way, with him dominating Wiliams, forcing him to fight from beneath, even if it’s not the most interesting to watch. The match kinda retained that slow pace as the match progressed, but with Williams getting more into it, the offence got more intense and creative with Williams turning a bearhug into a lovely belly-to-belly suplex. The crowd started getting into the match more when Kobashi started to throw some big bombs and began countering Williams’ offence more and more, chanting “Kobashi” after one of his trademarked running lariats. Loved the moment of the match where Willams almost necked Kobashi with a suplex and then just threw him out of the ring and onto the floor like he was nothing. Love the little spurts of fun that he puts into the match like that. Kobashi’s moonsault was used to great effect with the first successful one being a great near fall and the second attempt being missed after Williams desperately scrambles away. Kobashi’s leg drop from the top rope was beautifully well timed with him hitting Willimas perfectly as he turned over from his front, as was his entire offence the whole match. The finish was pretty good with Williams being unable to put Kobashi away with the Backdrop driver, building and building to him finally being able to cover him, hitting one on the turnbuckle (of all places) and then one in the middle of the ring before finally beating Kobashi. Now I didn’t think this needed to go over 40 minutes but it was still a pretty great match. It was a great showcase of Kobashi and allowed Williams to shine whilst being the defensive one of the match. ****1/4

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

BJW Yuji Okabayashi vs Takuya Nomura

ezgif-3-713b6e8d4ddd.jpg

BJW Strong World Heavyweight Title Match: Yuji Okabayashi (c) vs Takuya Nomura - BJW 21/07/2019

The match starts off like any traditional big match, rather slow and hesitant. Big feeling out process to gauge each other due to the size difference. Before they quickly start hitting big chops, and by “they, I mean Okabayashi leathering Nomura up with vicious sounding chops. Nomura got his spots in early with his hard kicks and begins to target the arm, even getting the better of the champion before falling victim to Okabayashi’s chops once again.

Nomura’s kicks to the arm sounded great. The audio made it painfully clear how forceful the shots were. He had some nice arm submissions, like the Octopus Stretch. Which lead to a great visual of Okabayashi, with him being a giant beast of a man, being strong enough to walk to the ropes with Nomura still hanging on like a vice. Nomura kept going after the arm whenever Okabayashi went on offence. Okabayashi’s selling of the arm, for the most part, was good. Nomura throwing closed fists and giant suplexes near the end was great in a sort of “I'm getting desperate to beat him” way. Gave him something new and different to build upon in this match, with it after all being his big coming-out party. The finishing stretch with Okabayashi fight back against Nomura was good. Kinda basic with it not being as emphatic as I thought it could've been, as far as Okabayashi was concerned. Still. I thought this was a very good match.

A hell of a Nomura performance with his great assaults on the arm, his desperation near the end when Okabayashi was getting back into it. This was his match and he more than earned it. Okabayashi was also good, even if I haven't really praised him. His selling was good, it could've easily been forgotten about and whilst his comeback felt run of the mill, it was a pretty good mill at that. His chops were brutal as always and he put over Nomura greatly. ****1/4

Relentless Admin

Status

I watched this earlier tonight after seeing so much hype for it on twitter. Very good match, although I wouldn’t put it up there as yuji’s best match of the year.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Dragon Gate Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate 2019

Dragon Gate: Dangerous Gate 2019 - 24/08/2019

Natural Vibes (Punch Tominaga & YASSHI), Hiroshi Yamato, Martin Kirby & Mondai Ryu vs. Tribe Vanguard (Kagetora & Yosuke Santa Maria), Dragon Dia, Jimmy & Shachihoko BOY
    Your usual opening match. The younger talent got some spotlight, mainly Jimmy and Dragon Dia. Jimmy has some nice moves, like a lovely tope, but there were a few awkward moments where Kirby had to stand there and wait for Jimmy to do a rope-assisted Rana correctly after a slight misstep. Dia was much more smoother in execution. There was the usual opening match, synchronized/train or all included rowboat spots. Santa Maria kissing everyone besides Mondai Ryu was a highlight, too. Some fairly entertaining action with everyone getting involved from start to finish. Perfectly acceptable for the opening spot on the show. **

R.E.D. (KAZMA SAKAMOTO, Takashi Yoshida, Yasushi Kanda & Diamante) vs. K-ness, Kenichiro Arai, Ryo Saito & Super Shisa
    My favourite trio of R.E.D (and Diamante)! I’m serious too. None are particularly great but they make it work and have nice chemistry with each other. This was a fairly short match with them not really wasting any time, R.E.D pulls off some of their signature spots with the added Diamante touch. K-Ness, Air and Shisa did the best they could along with Saito being Saito. The setup for his splash was awesome though. The DQ finish was something out of the norm on these shows (usually used for the House shows) but I think it was perfectly fine for the show. It puts over R.E.D as the scummy people they are. **3/4

Open The Triangle Gate Title Match: The Machines (Strong Machine F, Strong Machine G & Strong Machine J) (c) (w/KY Wakamatsu) vs. Mochizuki Dojo (Hyo Watanabe, Kota Minoura & Yuki Yoshioka)
    I’m hot and cold of The Machines. They have perfectly fun matches but they are just there not really doing much of note. Sure they feuded with R.E.D for a bit but it felt like a stopgap. I think they need a proper engaging feud to achieve what they want for J. J is pretty good and has a good presence to him, even next to clone copies of him. They just need to do it right The Mochizuki Dojo boys are all promising acts with bright futures. Both teams work in a similar way, tons of double and triple team moves but there is a big difference in what they do in the match. The Machines have power and submission based offence, and they use it to work over Watanabe early on and cut the ring off nicely using that approach. In contrast, Mochizuki Dojo is very fast and put emphasis on strikes and aerial wrestling. So that dynamic adds something to the match. The Mochizuki Dojo really impress in the match though. Kota Minoura and his amazing diving senton especially. The finish gives the match a good ending, finally getting the crowd into it as well. J’s finisher, the Majin Fushagatame, is beautiful. It’s an underhook/hammerlock suplex with a bridge and he pulls it off so well. If the crowd was into the match more for much longer than they were, this could’ve been better. Good match albeit long. ***1/4

MaxiMuM (Kaito Ishida & Naruki Doi) vs. Mochizuki Dojo (Keisuke Okuda & Masaaki Mochizuki)
    Okuda has been one of those guys that have been around for a few years but never really did much outside of a few things here and there, most of that was on DDT having such a big roster. But since he has shown up in DG, he has excelled. Right off the bat, they start off with tons of intensity with a few elbows blows by both Okuda and Doi followed up by Ishida and Mochizuki going at it. With Maximum having the experience on their side, they control the match early on but Okuda isn’t overwhelmed and stays alive. Okuda and Ishida show almost straight away that have great chemistry, even if the big focus as far as the feud goes is Okuda vs Doi. Some of the brief exchanges they have are so good, Ishida leans into Okuda’s style well and plays the smug douche well. Ishida’s smile is great. Mochizuki and Doi have some good moments as well. They come in for the big spots of the match and do it well. Mochizuki kicking the back of Ishida’s head while he is in a triangle choke by Okuda as he is getting out of it is a great example of that. Very good match. ***1/2

MaxiMuM (Dragon Kid, Jason Lee & Masato Yoshino) vs. Tribe Vanguard (BxB Hulk & KAI) & Ultimo Dragon
    A big step down from the previous match. This felt very long, very boring and just nothing much to it outside of the initial interactions with Ultimo Dragon and Dragon Kid. Which was actually pretty good. They worked pretty fast and smooth, a few mirror spots that came across well. **3/4

Shun Skywalker vs. Susumu Yokosuka
    Not really sure why this isn’t a Brave Gate title match but it’s not. This was very much the veteran vs up and comer type match. They played up Susumu’s history in the video package and he constantly outsmarted Shun Skywalker, specifically when Skywalker went to the top. Tried to ground him early on with a few headlocks and other variations. Shun has his bright sparks early on, like his big moonsault off the ropes to the outside that gets great hang time but the story is the same, Susumu plays it smart and regains control. One of the best things about Shun’s offence is that most of it looks painful. His moonsault knees land right on Susumi’s side and arm and it looked devastating. And he has great urgency afterwards too. Either quickly getting the cover or following it up with another big move to try and end the match. The finish with Susumu hitting Shun with the Mugen was decent but seemed to come a little abrupt. I think they could’ve made it a bit more of a struggle for Susumu to win at the end. Really good match and very good performance by Susumu. ***1/2

Yosuke Santa Maria challenges Susumu for a Brave Gate title match!! Match of the year incoming.

Open The Twin Gate Title No Disqualification Match: R.E.D. (Big R Shimizu & Eita) (c) vs. Natural Vibes (Genki Horiguchi & Kzy)
    This was a violent, weapon filed match. Something you don’t see often but it was really well done from start to finish. R.E.D come equipped with ladders when they make their entrance and that quickly segways into brawling in the aisle way and then into the crowd. Which isn’t the norm for Dragon Gate match. They use the ladder well and the spots were they were falling over each other and down the stairs were fun. Once they got in the ring, the match got a bit more control but got better in a much different way. R.E.D go the extra mile to being total scum bags by cutting off Genki Horiguchi’s hair. If anyone knows Genki, he stands out by his extravagant hairstyles. His gimmick and popularity are based about the crowd chanting “H.A.G.E” meaning bald (at first as a dig then as endearment). So that was great. R.E.D got rid of KZY shortly before they got to the ring but they kept on attacking him every sign of him getting into the match. Leaving Genk isolated in the process. Geki does a great job of being the face in peril, his selling is great, totally sympathetic. R.E.D excel in their roles too. Using every trick in the book - outside help from the rest of the unit, weapons and chairs, eye pokes and rakes. Eita especially as he looks like a total slimeball that you want to see get beaten up. Kzy, when he begins getting into the match more, does just that. Kzy slamming Eita into the ladder was both cringe-worthy and satisfying, as was the Swanton off the ladders. The moment when Punch and the rest of Natural Vibes came in to fend off R.E.D was great. Normally those parts can drag the match down but after R.E.D being such a nuisance, it added to the match greatly. The whole finish with Big R hitting Otakebi (a splash) through the table from the ladder and then the Shot Putt slam was so great. Big emphatic way to end the match. Great performances from Eita and Genki. Great match. ****1/4

Open The Dream Gate Title Match: Ben-K (c) vs. YAMATO
    After Ben-K got crowned Dream Gate champion last month and is now considered ace of Dragon Gate, it was only right to face the former Ace in YAMATO. Joint top record holder with Masaaki Mochizuki with four title reigns spanning 656 days in total. One of the most successful wrestlers of the promotion. And big-time rival, mainly as tag opponents for when Ben-K teamed with Big R. Last time they faced each other was the opening day of the King of Gate tournament with Ben-K actually winning. So YAMATO has something to prove here as well.

Heated start to the match. Some good mat exchanges to open with Ben-K shooting in, YAMATO, with his MMA background, being able to block it and transitioning from his back to a keylock. YAMATO had a great grin when he bested Ben-K afterwards. Ben-K did some damage to the ribs, setting it up for the spear later in the match, once given the chance and works on it nicely with a shoulder breaker and a tight waist lock. There are some great transitions of control really early in the match, like YAMATO catching Ben-K with a guillotine choke when Ben-K tried to hit a spear on the apron which was followed up by a brutal suplex on the apron (with Ben-K landing on the corner). Which also lead to YAMATO working on the neck for some time of the match. Ben-K was much more expressive in this match than he has been before. He was pretty much a “grunt” before but he added tons more facial expressions to his game and played to the crowd more. After Ben-K hit an awesome looking spear through the ropes with YAMATO on the apron and regained control for a while, he played to the crowd to get them on his side more. I thought the match as a whole was built really well. The start of the match wasn’t slow but it tease a few big moments that’ll come later in the match (like the spear on the apron), set up the work on the ribs (by Ben-K) and the neck (By YAMATO) then as the match grew into itself, the heavy offence started to come out with awesome counters like YAMATO catching Ben-K in motion with a frankensteiner into a triangle choke and some really great strikes which you don’t really expect from Dragon Gate matches. And a simple yet really good closing stretch with a KO tease followed up by Ben-K killing YAMATO with each thing he has until he got the win. A heck of a match. It was able to make both guys looked great, YAMATO in defeat especially. Ben-K got the big win and looked great doing it. The struggles for control were well done, they didn’t go over the top with much and had a few nice wrinkles like good striking and mat work opposed to the bomb-heavy style that big-time DG matches can have. ****1/2

The show was a relatively easy watch. The undercard is filled with fun matches, some better than others. I would say the Trios/Ultimo Dragon match and the opening matches was the only matches I’d deem worth skipping. The last two matches are both excellent and completely different from each other. I would recommend the show if you’re into this stuff. If not, just the last two matches.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

NJ World NJPW Wrestle Kingdom IV & Prince Devitt vs Naomichi Marufuji

-- I've decided to go back and watch a ton of New Japan of the decade since a ton of it I don't remember or haven't seen (mainly pre-2013). Should be fun to see the development and rise of New Japan both as a companie and its popularity throughout the decade. --

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Go Shiozaki - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom IV In Tokyo Dome 04/01/2010

A typical Tanahashi start to a match. There was a solid exchange on the mat with both ringling around, grabbing limbs and reversing them. Shiozaki fluffed an armdrag sadly but his wicked chops more than made up for it. Loved the transition into Tanahashi attacking the leg with Tanahashi blocking a knee lift attempt and dropping Shiozaki while in the ropes. The usual Tana idiosyncrasies take place - stomps to the knee, the knee bar. Unfortunately Shiozaki blew it off pretty much straight away not showing any signs of Tanahashi’s attacks. The little sequences with the spinning back fist into a superkick leading to the slingblade was really good and sometimes they can come across as contrived but it didn’t here. There was a good near fall by Shiozaki, which is a good accomplishment considering he is facing Tanahashi in the Dome, where he hits some of his biggest bombs followed by a moonsault. The finishing stretch was a bit weak unfortunately. Shiozaki had a big chunk off offence and then Tanahashi made a comeback and that was that. It never felt “earned” to me, although the set up for the Dragon Suplex near fall was slick as hell. I do wish they kept on with the initial leg based offence early on but I think it was probably for the best. The rest of the match was really good. Shiozaki got a bunch on Tanahashi, got some really good nearfalls and looked good for the most part, until the easy loss. Tanahashi did a good job from fighting from beneath. Tana has great comeback offence for the most part but he doesn’t feel go all out for the finish, I feel. Probably indicative of the spot on the card. ***1/2

GHC Heavyweight Title Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Takashi Sugiura (C) - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom IV In Tokyo Dome 04/01/2010
    I really thought that this was a great match. The start, however, was mind numbingly dull not much going on. Just aimless slow start stuff but the match quality grew in tenfold when they started hitting their big bombs and hard strikes. All their usual arsenal. Sugiura controlled most of the match using his strength and experience to dominate Goto. Sugiura has a big presence around him and that allowed Goto to shine as the wrestler fighting from beneath. Goto more than matched Sugiura in intensity and fire in his comebacks. Maybe a better start and this could’ve been better. ****

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Yoshihiro Takayama vs Shinsuke Nakamura - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom IV In Tokyo Dome 04/01/2010
    Pre-Weirdo Nakamura! I know people prefer Nakamura’s character later on, but I love his serious demeanor. There is something “big match” about it. And against someone like Takayama, you need to match his intensity. The first half of the match is all Takayama - a real mauling. Takayma lays in the strikes hard early on and completely no-sells Nakamura’s (weak) forearms. And beats on Nakamura with his brutal knees on the outside, and then, in a great feel moment, he makes the count to 10 himself. And then he elbows Nakamura right on the bridge of the nose! Nakamura sells really well too. He really seems out of it at times, just lying motionless. Nakamura slowly starts to get back into the match though and keeps up the selling, taking more time to pull things off like the german suplex, for example. Nakamura has some really nasty knee strikes to the stomach that would make any normal person vomit. Loved the counter from Nakamura from a clothesline attempt into an armbreaker. Nakamura following it up with kicks to the elbow was even better. There was some really good struggles for it later on with Takayama breaking out of an armbar stomping on Nakamura’s face which was followed up by a wicked knee to the face - a call back to their more famous match in six years prior. The finish of Takayama and Nakamura exchanging punches and kicks allowing Nakamura to catch Takayama off guard and nail the Boma Ye was absolutely amazing. Had me off my seat. Great way to end the match, highlight both guys strengths (Takayma’s strikes and Nakamura’s wit and counters). Never watched this match before I don’t believe, never really hear it brought up as a match to even watch let along a great match. But that’s what this was. Takakyama looked like a total behemoth beating the hell out of Nakamura with his violent offence. Nakamura brought him great selling to the match, some great counters and striking too. Excellent main event for the Tokyo Dome. ****1/2

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Naomichi Marufuji vs. Prince Devitt - NJPW Circuit 2010 New Japan ISM Day 3 - 30/01/2010
    A rematch from their Super J Cup final match last month where Marufuji came out the winner. Both guys are extremely quick straight off the bat with the two reversing each other’s move on the mat at a quick pace. I wasn’t sure if Devitt would be able to keep up with Marufuji but he more than did just that and it all ended off with an awesome tope con hilo that got great height on the jump. The match had tons of energy carried by the really hot crowd and there was a ton of great aerial stunts like Devitt’s dive to Marufuji on the outside. Marufuji did a good, but not great, job of working over Devitt and beating him down. Some of his cut offs were nice like the dropkick to a running Devitt and his keylock reversals but the attacks never felt focused. It just felt random and it came off much better when he was playing of Devitt rather than a one-sided beat down. I thought the near falls were actually done pretty well. Like Devitt moving out of the spring-board dropkick and getting the diving foot stomp. Made for a good, exciting finish in the end with his Tiger Flowsion. Other than the okay section of the match where part where Marufuji was dominating Devitt, this was a great Junior match that made Deviit look like a star. And then the post match tease of Marufuji vs Kanemoto made me all giddy given their match is one of my favourite matches of all time. ****

-- Up Next: Naomichi Marufuji vs Koji Kanemoto, Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Naomichi Marufuji vs Jushin Thunder Liger, Hirooki Goto vs Shinsuke Nakamura --
    Last edited by MC 16; 08-28-2019 at 07:30 PM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

NJ World New Japan Juniors: Invader Maru Edition & Nakamura vs Goto

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Naomichi Marufuji (c) vs Koji Kanemoto - NJPW 38th Anniversary Series - Day 1 05/03/2010
    Marufuji comes into this as the heel outsider that happens to be champion, getting booed straight away against the babyface veteran defending his company. The story is fairly typical in Japan but they pull it off in a special way. They were non stop for 30+ minutes with some breathtaking sequences, some great limb work from both Marufuji and Kanemoto early on with Marufuji pulling out a funky submission and Kamemoto going to town with kicks and submissions. They moved past it quickly though but it’s for the best with Marufuji in the match. Kanemoto constantly switches from face to heel with his attitude but it comes off so well with his great facial expressions being coming off as both smug and sympathetic. He was able to get the crowd to boo him so soon after cheering him and getting them back in his side like it was nothing. Marufuji was excellent with his counter wrestler offence, his incredibly fast movements followed up by his signature knees or drop kicks looked great against the more calculated Kanemoto. The whole tease of the face wash by Kanemoto was great. Another great example of crowd control. The closing stretch was great as well. The initial hard slaps into the shiranui was a great near fall. And the fight for the ankle lock/teasing off the tap was awesome. The crowd going crazy for it helped the drama a ton. In the end Marufuji put Kanemoto away with a brutal Spanish fly and then the Tiger Flowsion. I was exhausted after this match which shows how good it is. The only thing flaw I have with this match is Marufuji's selling after the leg work. Even if the leg work didn’t factor into the match later on, a little show of pain afterwards would’ve been fine. However, I think there are far more elements of greatness, which far outweigh the flaws of the match. Kanemoto gave one of the best career performances in the match. For someone who was in his old man stage of his career, he looked great. Marufuji bounced of Kanemoto really well and give the match a great sense of urgency in his attacks. Honestly, this is one of my favourite matches and I always love watching it. *****

New Japan Cup 2nd Round Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Circuit 2010 New Japan ~ The Perfect Generalist ~ - Day 5 20/03/2010
    The crowd is rather split with Naito seemingly getting a bit more chants than Tanahashi does. Tanahashi controls the match being the more experienced, and better, of the two. Keeping Naito on the ground but Naito gets some things on him like the headscissors counter which Tanahashi keeps getting caught in, no matter what he tried to do early in the match. Naito posts Tanahashi’s leg which caused Naito to focus on it. Naito’s work on the leg is basic with Naito with him applying a few submissions holds and using the leg work to cut off Tanahashi’s comeback attempts. Tanahashi sells the leg much better than I initially thought he was going to - it was fairly consistent with no real moments of him blowing it off. I think the match suffered from Natio locking on long submissions that felt really drawn out and they took the steam out of the match for me. The Stardust press finish ruled though. He got tons of impact on it. The match felt a bit flat though. This was supposed to be something to put over Naito and Naito really didn’t bring that stand out performance. Tanahashi sold well for Naito but I feel like he could’ve done more too. ***

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Naomichi Marufuji (c) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger - NJPW New Dimension 04/04/2010
    Yet another Marufuji invader match! Marufuji might not be your cup of tea but I think it’s undeniable how great he is in this role. He really added to that dynamic with his title disrespect towards Liger which really helped the dynamic of the match and the stakes involved. The early mat wrestling was awesome with both struggling for their signature holds like the Surfboard into the straight jacket chinlock counter. The transition out of that section of the match was really weak though. Liger just throw Marufuji outside and into the guardrail out of nowhere, no set-up at all. But the match got better from there. Marufuji locked on a sleeper hold through the post onto Liger which a creative way to upgrade a simple move. I loved the constant momentum switching, it made the match feel like a struggle and forced both guys to up their game. Marufuji even pulled off his drop kick over the top rope which is frightening to watch. Liger had great timing in his counters and really knows how to make the most out of them to get a great near fall. The bomb heavy finishing stretch was good as always. Class match with an extremely hot crowd. Who can stop Marufuji? ****1/4

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW New Dimension 04/04/2010
    Slow start with both men feeling each other out with pushes into the ropes until they brawl on the outside. Then the match starts getting better when Nakamura starts heeling it up a bit, going to town on Goto’s midsection with his brual knee strikes and kicks. There is a really good sequence when Namakura locks on a cross armbreaker out of nowhere with Goto broke with a stomp, leading to a nasty breaker on the ropes which Nakamura sells excellently. The match grew from that point on with Goto bring out his biggest bombs like the Ushigoroshi and Nakamura getting more desperate and urgent in his attacks. Nakamura has a great cross arm breaker counter when Goto tries to hit the GTR, jumping up and headscissoring Goto over into the move. The strike exchanges were so well done too. They didn’t go to long and they lead to the finish with Goto hitting a big lariat with a running lariat attempt countered into a knee by Nakamura and then the Boma Ye for the finish! So the match turned into a great one after a mediocre start. Nakamura’s selling was great. His bumping for Goto made Goto look like a force to be reckoned with and I loved the urgency he had near the end of the match, not wasting any time hitting the Boma Ye when he got the chance to. Goto was rather bland as the fight from beneath guy early on but excelled more as he gained control. ****

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information