Status

Re: The Middle Of A Pandemic NA Politics Thread

Time to bring back the bitch board

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    Just like that TV show based there called Portlandia that was never funny no matter how hard it tried to be.

It was SO nice waking up this morning, for the first time in four years, and not have Donald Trump in charge of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Mitch View Post
    Portlandia was fucking great what are you talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Basically, what Mitch said, but I’ll add in that Fred Armisen was robbed for years. Yet another top talent that’s far and above the award show popularity contest bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Time to bring back the bitch board
    Time to bring back the Saturday Morning Slam icon.

I’m too lazy to look it up, but I’m pretty sure Ken posted a bitch board for WC vs. Doom’s sense of humour, which can really never be topped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Daktrick Henry View Post
    Turnabout is fair play I reckon.

QAnon congresswoman hasn't filed Biden impeachment articles because 'she thought it would be easier'

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Shoutbox Mod

Status

How do these people even get elected? Jesus.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Honestly I think the best thing for the US would be for politics to go back to being boring. One of the main problems with Trump being elected in the first place (amongst all the other shit), was he gave a voice (and amplified that voice), to the stupid who have no idea about anything surrounding how the government works or operates (mainly because he is also one of said stupid people).

I'm not saying nobody should pay attention, you should, and be involved where appropriate, and hold Biden's administration to their word, but these stupid people would never get involved and are just there to make noise and cause chaos. If those specific stupid people (which there are a whole lot more than I originally thought) would go back to not caring, maybe over time there might be a bit of healing, when we can focus on helping each other as opposed to fighting each other because of which side you are on.

I'm not going to claim I know all the ins and outs of how the government works but I'd like to at least think I could hold a conversation regarding some matters.

Shoutbox Mod

Status

I think it's already happening, a lot of people are complaining that its boring now and that was always a problem. People think its a sport or a reality show and want drama and fights.

Its the future of our country not The Jersey Shore.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I think it's already happening, a lot of people are complaining that its boring now and that was always a problem. People think its a sport or a reality show and want drama and fights.

Its the future of our country not The Jersey Shore.
    Exactly. The mindset of political parties is already so "team sport" like. It's about winning or losing, and trash talking the other team and bragging about victories as if it's some sort of competition. Yes it resulted in the biggest voter turnout we've ever seen, but it's not worth the division.

You should vote on a candidate who aligns with your political views, not the one who's got the donkey or elephant mascot.

Trump brought out so many people who didn't care about politics, both to vote for him and against him. Trump, a reality TV star, did exactly what you'd expect him to do...make the country into reality TV. And it's going to take a hundred years to reverse some of that damage.

World Champion

Status

I remember telling you this a looking time ago Sulley

Cardcaptor

Status

It's a deeply American problem. The obsession with media and celebrity. The whole country is a reality TV show, and utterly repulsive.
    Everything will surely be alright.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

I think you guys are underestimating how inevitable this "division" was. Black Lives Matter didn't start under Trump, it started under Obama & Biden. Prostests didn't start under Trump (don't take me literally on that, obviously there were plenty before), started under Obama & Biden. Did Trump fan the fire, sure, but George Floyd woulda got killed no matter the president. And a shit ton of this years events woulda happened nonetheless. Would the pandemic have been as bad? No, but you still have a shitty healthcare system and shit Canada isnt doing too great with covid either.

Not understating Trump's horrificness, but he shone a light on something that was already there.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by noJ View Post
    I think you guys are underestimating how inevitable this "division" was. Black Lives Matter didn't start under Trump, it started under Obama & Biden. Prostests didn't start under Trump (don't take me literally on that, obviously there were plenty before), started under Obama & Biden. Did Trump fan the fire, sure, but George Floyd woulda got killed no matter the president. And a shit ton of this years events woulda happened nonetheless. Would the pandemic have been as bad? No, but you still have a shitty healthcare system and shit Canada isnt doing too great with covid either.

Not understating Trump's horrificness, but he shone a light on something that was already there.
    I think you are making the wrong assumption that the large majority of us didn't already know this. In fact, pretty much everyone has said in this thread that Trump was simply a symptom of a problem already here. I mean, he was democratically elected. And he got 75 million votes the second time. That tells you how big of an issue there is.

America sucking and being behind in a lot of ways is not news. The only ones who think it is are naïve and sheltered, and have not paid any attention to things.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by noJ View Post

I'm an outsider but would agree. Trump was a symptom, not the cause. He didn't get into office by chance, he got in because he correctly spoke to the problems and disillusion a lot of Americans have in society and politics. Most Americans do want to swamp drained. The problem is Trump was the biggest swamp monster of all. His ideas to fix things (if you can call them that) were wrong, but his diagnosis of a system not working for the majority wasn't. Not everyone who voted for him was a horrible idiotic racist (atleast in 2016), a lot of them were ordinary people fed up with a system that had ignored and Trump promised to change that.

It is great that Biden is more neutral and isn't a raving lunatic who treats politics like a game show, but unless the conditions which create a Trump Presidency are addressed then he won't be the last extreme nutbag in a position of serious power.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 01-22-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I'm an outsider but would agree. Trump was a symptom, not the cause. He didn't get into office by chance, he got in because he correctly spoke to the problems and disillusion a lot of Americans have in society and politics. Most Americans do want to swamp drained. The problem is Trump was the biggest swamp monster of all. His ideas to fix things (if you can call them that) were wrong, but his diagnosis of a system not working for the majority wasn't. Not everyone who voted for him was a horrible idiotic racist (atleast in 2016), a lot of them were ordinary people fed up with a system that had ignored and Trump promised to change that.

It is great that Biden is more neutral and isn't a raving lunatic who treats politics like a game show, but unless the conditions which create a Trump Presidency are addressed then he won't be the last extreme nutbag in a position of serious power.
    You aren't wrong. I have absolute faith that the Democrat party won't deviate from their approach which just barely worked and probably wont' work next time without a boogeyman opponent.

Regarding the bolded... very much agree and I've said this before on here. It can be tempting to broad-stroke and generalize about "Trump voters", as if they are a singular entity rather than diverse groups of individuals. We've all the seen the memes of the extremes - MAGA hats, flags, attending rallies, defending everything Trump says or does like the most embarrassing fanboys/girls.... That's his base. There is some heavy crossover with other extreme right wing elements - QAnoners, nationalists, even white supremacists… but being part of one group doesn't necessarily make you part of another. A lot of Trump voters, in both elections, were GOP lifers or pure conservatives who simply weren't going to deviate from that chosen path.

But in any election, there tends to be a significant number of "single issue" voters. They might have beliefs that lean one direction or the other, but not enough to make them always vote that direction. They pick based on essentially one factor in that election. It might be the same issue that always sways them or a different issue in a given election. It can be economy, taxation, immigration, crime, abortion rights.... and in any direction. They tend to mostly or entirely ignore other aspects of a candidate's platform and sometimes even the candidate themselves. Humans have a tremendous ability to ignore things that don't directly impact them, and to look past obvious elements to see ONE THING and nothing else. But how could someone who voted for Trump based on one issue do so again 4 years later... because if he still appeals the most on that issue, that's where the vote goes. And everything he did that the average person sees as negative and damaging.... modern media has made it easy to simply not see a lot of that. Or people just didn't care.

Lots of Americans see flaws in the system but that obviously doesn't mean they see the same flaws or the same causes for those flaws. While one person sees the fundamental inequity of corporatization of politics, the next sees "the swamp" as the fundamental issue. And promising to address that, even without any plan or progress or actual intent, will appeal to some. And that's a lot of what politics is today - finding the issue that works for that group of people and making promises. In Dak's area of the world (not to pick on him, but its relevant), the decreasing importance of coal has created a serious economic situation. And those folks don't want to be told the truth - that coal isn't coming back and other solutions have to be found, which might be changing long-embedded ways of life. But Trump went in promising that he would bring back coal. And some people believed that. It didn't happen and realistically couldn't happen, but its what some wanted to hear. You can see stories about this after any election - its not an American phenomenon. The English florist who voted for Brexit because he was anti-immigration and it has had a major impact on his business because he imported his flowers from France. The Trump voter with an undocumented husband who believed Trump would only target "bad" illegal immigrants and wouldn't listen to anyone, voted for Trump, and saw her husband deported.

Grouping every Trump voter together and labelling them all the same is easy but its also very very flawed.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post

Yes, absolutely. Yes, some just wanted a change and to try to fix something that was known to be faulty. It was a dumb move, but understandable. A lot of us realized Trump was a con and full of shit, but some where just desperate enough to take the bait. Others? Just dumb enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    You aren't wrong. I have absolute faith that the Democrat party won't deviate from their approach which just barely worked and probably wont' work next time without a boogeyman opponent.

Regarding the bolded... very much agree and I've said this before on here. It can be tempting to broad-stroke and generalize about "Trump voters", as if they are a singular entity rather than diverse groups of individuals. We've all the seen the memes of the extremes - MAGA hats, flags, attending rallies, defending everything Trump says or does like the most embarrassing fanboys/girls.... That's his base. There is some heavy crossover with other extreme right wing elements - QAnoners, nationalists, even white supremacists… but being part of one group doesn't necessarily make you part of another. A lot of Trump voters, in both elections, were GOP lifers or pure conservatives who simply weren't going to deviate from that chosen path.

But in any election, there tends to be a significant number of "single issue" voters. They might have beliefs that lean one direction or the other, but not enough to make them always vote that direction. They pick based on essentially one factor in that election. It might be the same issue that always sways them or a different issue in a given election. It can be economy, taxation, immigration, crime, abortion rights.... and in any direction. They tend to mostly or entirely ignore other aspects of a candidate's platform and sometimes even the candidate themselves. Humans have a tremendous ability to ignore things that don't directly impact them, and to look past obvious elements to see ONE THING and nothing else. But how could someone who voted for Trump based on one issue do so again 4 years later... because if he still appeals the most on that issue, that's where the vote goes. And everything he did that the average person sees as negative and damaging.... modern media has made it easy to simply not see a lot of that. Or people just didn't care.

Lots of Americans see flaws in the system but that obviously doesn't mean they see the same flaws or the same causes for those flaws. While one person sees the fundamental inequity of corporatization of politics, the next sees "the swamp" as the fundamental issue. And promising to address that, even without any plan or progress or actual intent, will appeal to some. And that's a lot of what politics is today - finding the issue that works for that group of people and making promises. In Dak's area of the world (not to pick on him, but its relevant), the decreasing importance of coal has created a serious economic situation. And those folks don't want to be told the truth - that coal isn't coming back and other solutions have to be found, which might be changing long-embedded ways of life. But Trump went in promising that he would bring back coal. And some people believed that. It didn't happen and realistically couldn't happen, but its what some wanted to hear. You can see stories about this after any election - its not an American phenomenon. The English florist who voted for Brexit because he was anti-immigration and it has had a major impact on his business because he imported his flowers from France. The Trump voter with an undocumented husband who believed Trump would only target "bad" illegal immigrants and wouldn't listen to anyone, voted for Trump, and saw her husband deported.

Grouping every Trump voter together and labelling them all the same is easy but its also very very flawed.
    Very true, but I think the ones who voted for him a second time are much easier lumped together. If they are still on boat with that for the reasons you mentioned, after 4 years? They are truly daft and unreasonable, or simply an idiot.

You hit the nail on the head, though. These people don't want to be told the truth, they want to be lied to and told that everything is going to be okay. And even if nothing gets better, they at least were talked to as if their cries were heard.

I just wish people, even in the situations you realized, could have a broader view and understanding. I guess it's just hard for me to relate to that, because I've been fortunate to have traveled the world at a young age and had international schooling. I think that in itself is part of the issue, is that so many people have such a narrow world view and see the problems directly around them as the whole world. And yeah, if you are stuck in that and perpetually existing in it? That is your whole world.

Main Eventer

Status

To the surprise of no one, a few of these capital house stormers who got arrested are already saying that Trump told them to storm the building. This is pretty big news as it will be used against Trump.
    I am the Foundation

https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

On Vacation

Status

Over 74 million people voted for President Trump. If you want to keep with the narrative that 74 million people in the U.S. are racist and dumb you are the one who is dumb.

People were voting for what was going to be best for them. Instead of voting purely on emotion, a lot of people were looking at the issues and deciding which candidate would put in policies that would be best for them.

What put Biden over the edge was pure emotional bullshit drilled into people by elite celebs and so called "media". They will end up regretting it because this country is going to get much worse under Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    To the surprise of no one, a few of these capital house stormers who got arrested are already saying that Trump told them to storm the building. This is pretty big news as it will be used against Trump.
    President Trump told them? That isn't enough proof. If he told them to do it where's the proof? What he said and what they perceived is completely different. And no way 17 Republican Senators and every Democrat (need a 2/3 super majority to impeach) are going to vote to impeach. Even if they miraculously somehow pull off the impossible the worst they can do is vote to say he can never run for President again. It is all a waste of time just like the first impeachment. Just something to further divide the country and distract from what is going on behind the scenes. A bunch of corrupt bullshit on both sides.

Note: I check in every now and then and read the latest two or three posts to see what is going on and offer an opposing opinion which is something you all are not used to and hate. If you want to reply to this go ahead but know I will never see it. You have proven a healthy debate cannot be had here so instead I just have to check in every now and then and drop a precision strike of differing opinion. Fight the good fight.

Main Eventer

Status

Maybe this is a bad comparison but that woman who told her ex boyfriend to go ahead and kill himself was charged for it.
    I am the Foundation

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Maybe this is a bad comparison but that woman who told her ex boyfriend to go ahead and kill himself was charged for it.
    Does it even matter when Dak’s not gonna read this?

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Does it even matter when Dak’s not gonna read this?
    lol. I guess not.
    I am the Foundation

Shoutbox Mod

Status

Like you guys actually believe the guy who has 900 replies in this thread isn't reading every single post.

Page 375 of 389 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385 ... LastLast

Thread Information