Results 6,001 to 6,015 of 6015

Thread: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

We're absolutely fucked.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Cornette View Post
    I dunno about you guys, but I've recently been beginning to suffer a sort of crisis of ethics and morals. I'm beginning to question things much more and starting to ask myself morally ambiguous questions to divulge myself from my own version of "Truth", or rather the truth I've cosigned myself into believing. I've begun to separate Fact from Truth, as I think there is a distinction between the two now. Facts are the "what" while Truth is the "why". I dunno. It could just be incoherent ramblings by me, but I'm starting to question my own beliefs as of late, and what I think to be Truth that isn't formulated from others or my own personal echochamber.
    I'll admit you lost me somewhere along the end of this, but I do understand.

Even as a Democrat, I think that both sides are taking advantage of the Coronavirus for example. It's no coincidence we've got these riots going and this horrible response to a pandemic in the peak of a huge election year.

Do I think the Coronavirus is a made up thing the whole world is in on to take down Trump? No. Do I think the liberal media is just a little bit exaggerating it to hurt Trump though, yes. I don't think shut downs and mask and the panic are manufactured to hurt Trump, but I do think the narrative is being pushed for sure. Meanwhile, the GOP are doing the opposite and down selling the virus to the extreme.

We're all just pawns being used essentially. I haven't watched it yet but The Social Dilemma on Netflix looks like it goes into details on this. How media, particularly social media, can manipulate us without us even knowing. It's scary honestly.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silky B Badd View Post
    We're absolutely fucked.
    It's a huge blow. But I keep trying to reassure myself that it isn't a total end gamer. His first two appointees already went against him on two big rulings. The justices don't usually swing too hard against general public opinion.

But still, they say it's going to take us until about 2050 until we can truly get progressive again. Getting rid of that "boomer" mindset is the key. I have faith that every generation gets more and more progressive. The farther we separate ourselves from that 1960s group, the better we can get. The large amount of young protesters is what gives me faith.

But it's certainly going to take time. It won't be our future, but our children's hopefully.

Cardcaptor

Status

We're absolutely fucked.
    I'm not going to be surprised if in the next 10 years, between this sort of thing and the economy,a lot of folks go abroad.

I already know a handful of FAANG engineers who've called it and moved north or elsewhere. If you have at least a bachelors, it's pretty easy to move to most countries.

Honestly, between the culture (If you can call it that), economy, and bleak future? I've got no qualms with my decisions to bail on the place. Hell, the only downside is I have to wait until I'm done with schooling. =/ If you don't truly love a place, and never feel like it is truly your home...Sometimes, it's best to leave and find your happiness elsewhere.

Though, for reference, I've been planning on that since the Bush and then Obama days. It's not entirely related to current times, but it's just kind of the tipping point.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    But it's certainly going to take time. It won't be our future, but our children's hopefully.
    I'm starting to wonder what the hell I'm fighting for though. Is America so fucking great that we need to fight this hard to protect whatever it stands for? Are we so attached to this deep history of racism and corruption simply because American is nationalist as fuck and raised us all to support the country at all costs?

I mean, god, I understand for people who feel like they have deep roots here and can't leave but I increasingly don't know why I bother sticking around to watch this country crumble when I could work to emigrate to any of the NUMEROUS objectively better places to live. America feels like a lost cause.

WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

#BlackLivesMatter

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Being able to get out is a great luxury but I feel for those people who don't have those options.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Being able to get out is a great luxury but I feel for those people who don't have those options.
    Yeah obviously my entire post hinges on the premise that one could leave if they wanted to.

Which of course none of us can do now anyway because our incomptent turd of a presidont has bungled our corona response so badly that no country will let any of us in.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

#BlackLivesMatter

Status

I'm starting to wonder what the hell I'm fighting for though. Is America so fucking great that we need to fight this hard to protect whatever it stands for? Are we so attached to this deep history of racism and corruption simply because American is nationalist as fuck and raised us all to support the country at all costs?

I mean, god, I understand for people who feel like they have deep roots here and can't leave but I increasingly don't know why I bother sticking around to watch this country crumble when I could work to emigrate to any of the NUMEROUS objectively better places to live. America feels like a lost cause.
    I would LOVE to move to Norway, but I don't think I could commit to learning their language because English isn't their number one. They have so many great programs and systems though. But I agree, why are we here? Because we were born here? I will say it's not most countries are extraordinary better. The United Kingdom for example has their own political issues, and their own race problems. Is it as bad as the US right now? No, but they have issues.

Iceland and Switzerland are two other great countries I'd love to move to. Finland and New Zealand are also contenders, and they speak English in New Zealand right?

-

After some quick research, I think I'm penciling in New Zealand as my refugee country.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/wh...ew-zealand/usa

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Reminds me of a Bill Burr joke saying that when trump finally got his wall built we'd be the ones trying to climb over it.

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I would LOVE to move to Norway, but I don't think I could commit to learning their language because English isn't their number one. They have so many great programs and systems though. But I agree, why are we here? Because we were born here? I will say it's not most countries are extraordinary better. The United Kingdom for example has their own political issues, and their own race problems. Is it as bad as the US right now? No, but they have issues.

Iceland and Switzerland are two other great countries I'd love to move to. Finland and New Zealand are also contenders, and they speak English in New Zealand right?
    I know a girl that spent a year or two in New Zealand on a work visa and she always says she misses it. She never said she had to learn a different language.

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

Semi-Retired

Status

I'm of the opinion that the country isn't getting worse.

I felt that way, but maybe this is honestly the only way we can work through the issues that have always been present here. Change, growth and progress can be slow and painful, but sometimes that's just what it takes.

Bad behavior has been going on for years. People just have camera phones now. Its exposed. Its out in the light. People are finally seeing just how ugly certain parts of it are. Of course, there are people that are going to deny it or try and minimize it. Thats easier for them than actually dealing with the problem or admitting they are wrong, but the fact they are having to confront these things is a good thing.

I really believe that this my country eventually self-corrects itself; despite many fighting it every step of the way. I wouldn't say each generation will get more progressive. I do see the next generation evolving intellectually and morally. My children know more at their age than I could have even hoped to imagine at he same point in my life. Elementry school starts tackling more difficult concepts at an earlier and earlier age. This is from someone that tried to teach high school for one year. I'm not going to reopen the "dumb people vote Republican" debate from earlier. (There are plenty of other reasons not involving how people vote that contribute to why those states are in the condition they are in.)

I think their are plenty of smart people on both sides and moderates from both sides will eventually break through and fix this country slowly. We just haven't found our JFK or Lincoln, yet.

Morally, I know plenty of people that fret over "kids these days", but this generation is generally more open minded and less territorial than mine. Once again, the internet is one of the main reasons. My kids have friends all over the world thanks to XBox and PS4. They are exposed to more ideas. Hell, this forum is another great example. The days of people getting stuck in a dead end town and never seeing or hearing anything but their culture is shrinking. The Internet has opened the world up and our society is adapting. Some of those adaptations are superficial and faddish, but in general I see another trend upward as time goes by.

I hope so anyway. RBG dying is a blow, but anytime you lose a great person it is. I don't see a way a new Justice gets pushed through until after the election. Its too political and the Dems would never break ranks this close to an election. It may make it through one side of Congress , but like impeachment, its doomed. Thats just how the numbers shake out.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by White Rhyno View Post

I felt that way, but maybe this is honestly the only way we can work through the issues that have always been present here. Change, growth and progress can be slow and painful, but sometimes that's just what it takes.

Bad behavior has been going on for years. People just have camera phones now. Its exposed. Its out in the light. People are finally seeing just how ugly certain parts of it are. Of course, there are people that are going to deny it or try and minimize it. Thats easier for them than actually dealing with the problem or admitting they are wrong, but the fact they are having to confront these things is a good thing.

I really believe that this my country eventually self-corrects itself; despite many fighting it every step of the way. I wouldn't say each generation will get more progressive. I do see the next generation evolving intellectually and morally. My children know more at their age than I could have even hoped to imagine at he same point in my life. Elementry school starts tackling more difficult concepts at an earlier and earlier age. This is from someone that tried to teach high school for one year. I'm not going to reopen the "dumb people vote Republican" debate from earlier. (There are plenty of other reasons not involving how people vote that contribute to why those states are in the condition they are in.)

I think their are plenty of smart people on both sides and moderates from both sides will eventually break through and fix this country slowly. We just haven't found our JFK or Lincoln, yet.

Morally, I know plenty of people that fret over "kids these days", but this generation is generally more open minded and less territorial than mine. Once again, the internet is one of the main reasons. My kids have friends all over the world thanks to XBox and PS4. They are exposed to more ideas. Hell, this forum is another great example. The days of people getting stuck in a dead end town and never seeing or hearing anything but their culture is shrinking. The Internet has opened the world up and our society is adapting. Some of those adaptations are superficial and faddish, but in general I see another trend upward as time goes by.

I hope so anyway. RBG dying is a blow, but anytime you lose a great person it is. I don't see a way a new Justice gets pushed through until after the election. Its too political and the Dems would never break ranks this close to an election. It may make it through one side of Congress , but like impeachment, its doomed. Thats just how the numbers shake out.
    This is a great post!!!

I have friends who are teachers in high school and they all say really positive things about "Kids these days". Its a boomer mentality that kids are spoiled rotten assholes. Sure some are .. no different than when we were all young.

Despite what the right wing conservatives think(Their BS silent majority), the next generation of people will mostly be left leaning.
    The Ultimate Contrarian!!!!!!!!!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by White Rhyno View Post

Unfortunately, Trump and McConnell snaked their way into somehow lowering the number of votes they need from the Senate to approve a Justice. In the past they needed a Super majority, and now they just need 51. It's absolutely disgusting, but the Republicans hold 53 seats at the moment in the Senate so they can easily push through whoever they want without a single Democratic vote. We'd need 3 people to break the party lines. Romney has in the past, and he might again, but even then that still leaves two more people. And it's been proven time and time again that none of those snakes have the back bone to stand up against McConnell or Trump.

I agree though. The Left media is going to put so much pressure on the right, that they're going to force the Right to outwardly look as bad as possible by pushing this through before the election. It might cost them even more votes in a time where they're rushing to stop the bleeding following so many blows to Trump's campaign (with the attacks on veterans and then proven negligence with the corona-virus handling)

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

-

After some quick research, I think I'm penciling in New Zealand as my refugee country.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/wh...ew-zealand/usa
    Scandinavians will speak better English than you do. And I don't mean that as an insult.

As someone who has lived in multiple countries and travelled to many more, racism isn't limited to the US. The way the Polish are spoke of in UK, darker skinned individuals are treated in Asia, the way Africans are treated in the mediterranean countries... I would honestly say it's even more outward than it is in the US.

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I'll readily admit that I don't know too much about the process at all, so consider this me asking rather than a n making an assumption but Im not sure Trump would appoint a nominee right now. Surely he knows the fight that is on the way both legally and in the media and that would certainly take away from the time and energy needed on the campaign trail and the upcoming follies, er, debates. Before I get the answer of " Well, this is Trump...", I simply ask that you respond to this assumption in regards to the situation without taking Trump's arrogance and lack of self-awareness into account.

Page 301 of 301 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301

Thread Information