Page 300 of 303 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302 ... LastLast
Results 5,981 to 6,000 of 6043

Thread: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Main Eventer

Status

Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Yes, absolutely so. This is the sort of thing that was happening in Nazi Germany.

It is appalling. And it's probably been going on for a long time, sadly.

Speaking of Nazi Germany, one of the biggest issues I have with Trumps regime is the enormous influx of Antisemitism. Antisemitism is at the highest it has been in decades, and having an administration and president that refuses to take a strong stance against white nationalism? That's dangerous. The influx of conspiracy theories as a belief being damn near mainstream, the continued discrediting of experts in science, history, etc...Very scary.

15% of American young people do not believe the Holocaust happen, or "know if it happened".

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columni...icago.suntimes
    i was talking with a friend( and shes alot like you in your beliefs Vayne) and she said something interesting.

The internet has ruined critical thinking.

and i can see her point with how easy i formation spreads. on one hand, you can get real unbiased indepedent news thst isnt controlled by the mega media corps...but on the other, it allows for conspiracy theories to flourish.

its a slippery slope and its too late to get off.

but on the topic of experts.....There are plenty of experts who go along with those theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    thanks for the info.
    Last edited by indyfan; 09-16-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    The Ultimate Contrarian!!!!!!!!!!!

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    i was talking with a friend( and shes alot like you in your beliefs Vayne) and she said something interesting.

The internet has ruined critical thinking.

and i can see her pointvwith how easy i formation spreads. on one hand, you can get real unbiased indepedent news thst isnt controlled by the mega media corps...but on the other, it allows for conspiracy theories to flourish.

its a slippery slope and its too late to get off
    People with good critical thinking ability should not be hampered by it.

Most intelligent people with good critical thinking skills are able to discern between conspiracy theories and genuine information.

Unfortunately, this comes back to the same issue that I mentioned in Trump's base. Low education, low intelligence, etc. The kind of people who buy into cults, conspiracies, etc are not generally the brightest or best with critical thinking.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Main Eventer

Status

People with good critical thinking ability should not be hampered by it.

Most intelligent people with good critical thinking skills are able to discern between conspiracy theories and genuine information.

Unfortunately, this comes back to the same issue that I mentioned in Trump's base. Low education, low intelligence, etc. The kind of people who buy into cults, conspiracies, etc are not generally the brightest or best with critical thinking.
    i dont think she was saying it gets hampered by it, but lots of people are exposed way easier now than ever before. So instead of reading a experts analysis, its easy to read a blurb from a whackjob.

And i wont lie...im really into Aliens and shit like that and it comes with its fair share of conspiracies. I eat that stuff up.

Status
      Country                    United States

The internet has made it worse but the internet is not to blame. The nation's inability to craft some sort of baseline education and instead allowing red states to teach absolute garbage like "Slaves were happy" and "The Civil War was about state's rights" is the problem. When people grow up uneducated or fed lies contrary to literal history, they're going to more inclined to question even the most obvious act. The internet makes it easy to access false information to make them feel warm and fuzzy, but the internet doesn't create this brand of ignorance.

Also while I understand that in theory you were talking all talking about red states and their trends and whatnot, there was definitely a hint of maliciousness in making sure it was pointed out what state Dak is from. What he posts in this thread is often intolerable but watch where you step. People have long gotten infracted on both sides in this thread for taking his bait. Keep it above board.
    Last edited by Silky B Badd; 09-16-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silky B Badd View Post
    The internet has made it worse but the internet is not to blame. The nation's inability to craft some sort of baseline education and instead allowing red states to teach absolute garbage like "Slaves were happy" and "The Civil War was about state's rights" is the problem. When people grow up uneducated or fed lies contrary to literal history, they're going to more inclined to question even the most obvious act. The internet makes it easy to access false information to make them feel warm and fuzzy, but the internet doesn't create this brand of ignorance.
    Yeah, this is the problem. And for the record, those are the states that vote republican. Going back to my point, less intelligent people vote for Trump.

This sort of thing predates the internet, and just because stupid theories are more easily accessible to the uneducated than they previously were, does not mean it's to blame. It brings the issue all the way back to several pages ago, the education standards.

Don't Cry Jennifer

Status
      Country                    Norway

This conversation has heavily reminded me of one of the final speeches of Metal Gear Solid 2 and how just fucking crazily true it all turned out to be.

Cardcaptor

Status

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#698c19a8155a

Trump officially launching a "Patriotic Education" mandate.

Holy fucking nationalism.

Main Eventer

Status

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#698c19a8155a

Trump officially launching a "Patriotic Education" mandate.

Holy fucking nationalism.
    The sad part is....its totally Trump.

Status

I feel so sick. Ruth Bader Ginsburg just died. Literally the one person who needed to stay alive until November. They didn't allow Obama to appoint his nominee when he was at the end of a term. And now we're going to see Trump and McConnell be total hypocrites.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

This could have political implications for years to come.

But like President Obama once said, elections have consequences. If the Democrats could block President Trump like the Republicans did President Obama they would.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Dak View Post
    This could have political implications for years to come.

But like President Obama once said, elections have consequences. If the Democrats could block President Trump like the Republicans did President Obama they would.
    I wish this was the worst consequence coming from the election of Donald Trump.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I wish this was the worst consequence coming from the election of Donald Trump.
    I feel the same way about a lot of things during Obama's Presidency.

― Mark Twain

Status

I feel the same way about a lot of things during Obama's Presidency.
    I know. Having to pay more for your health insurance is WAY worse than having LGBT+ people lose rights and having planned Parenthood defunded. Not to mention the 200k+ lost lives. Great points Dak once again!

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

I know. Having to pay more for your health insurance is WAY worse than having LGBT+ people lose rights and having planned Parenthood defunded. Not to mention the 200k+ lost lives. Great points Dak once again!
    Hey, we will have to agree to disagree.

I am not going to play this game with you.

You are trying to bait me to get me banned. No thanks.

― Mark Twain

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Yeah! My man dak can get banned all on his own. He doesn't need your help!

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

Status

Hey, we will have to agree to disagree.

I am not going to play this game with you.

You are trying to bait me to get me banned. No thanks.

No you're in the politics thread talking politics. I'm not trying to bait you into anything and could care less.

But liking Donald Trump isn't agree to disagree, I'm sorry. I didn't like George Bush or him throwing us into a made up war for imperial reasons. I didn't like Romney or his policies, or McCain either. But I didn't lose respect for people who supported them, because those men are professional men who, despite my dislike for them, are good leaders in their own way. I have a lot of Republican friends who supported people like this, and I didn't think less of them. Like you said, it was agree to disagree.

But supporting Donald J Trump is different. And let this be known what I say isn't an attack on you, but an attack on anyone who supports this man. This isn't Democrat 've Republican, and if he was a Democrat...Like he was in the 90s, I'd be saying the same thing. This man represents so much evil in the world. Yet another former White House aide, this one Pence aide, has opened up about his psychopathic tendencies. His complete disregard for human life. Trump's defense to former administration members coming out against him was that they were disgruntled. But the disgruntled aides are adding up. How do you respond to that now? Every one is disgruntled and lying? Everyone? There's been more turnover in 4 years than Obama and Bush had in their 16 years combined. Trump represents racism, sexism, and just general hate. Supporting him at this point is not supporting a political candidate, it's supporting a cult. And I hope some of his cult at least sees that once he's out of office. I know a lot of people who voted him in 2016 see that now. Supporting Trump at this point is a total abandonment of any moral integrity you have.

This president by the way just once again has proven his disregard for human life. It just came out the Post Office planned on sending 650 million masks out back in April. 5 per household. A move that would have surely saved lives. And the Trump Administration denied it. Why would any administration make such a move? They had the marks ready to ship. He doesn't care about the citizens he's in charge of, and it's despicable.

Say what you want about President Obama, but you'll never convince me he doesn't care about people. The entire Affordable Care Act that the GOP despises so much is evidence of that. Before Obama, health insurance companies could deny a cancer patient coverage. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for a minute and imagine you have cancer, and you get denied health insurance coverage. It's a death sentence, and Republicans allowed it for years because of money. Support for the corrupt.

That is the difference between these two men. And I wish someday Republicans would see that, but for them it's only about "Me". And that's incredibly stalling for us as a Nation.

Status

I don't agree with the personal attacks on Dak, I don't think they're necessary.

I'd rather stick to attacking the political points he's made instead and have a decent discussion on them. But it's sad that it's impossible to do that in this thread, and honestly I'm nearing the point where I want to avoid this thread myself. We all generally have the same opinion besides Dak, and I do applude him for having to courage to go against that wave in here. I don't agree with him, and I don't agree that it is agree to disagree like he said here because with Trump we have more than just normal Democrat-GOP values at stake. We've got morals at stake. So I get that it's hard for us to talk about.

If Dak would like to give the reasons why he thinks Obama made a long lasting negative impact, I can give the reasons why I think Trump has, and we can have an adult conversation about it, I'd be open to it. But if he chooses not to I respect that choice. For example, Obama's ACA vs Trump's many executive orders.

Dak may even have a point in regards to some policies, especially if you disagree with Obama. His ACA has proven difficult to reverse, while most of Trump's damage is through executive orders that are easy to undo.

But I do think the judges Trump has appointed, which are over 100 at this rate, is where we'll see the most damage. I don't think any judge regardless of party should be appointed for life.
    Last edited by Silky B Badd; 09-18-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Don't Cry Jennifer

Status
      Country                    Norway

I dunno about you guys, but I've recently been beginning to suffer a sort of crisis of ethics and morals. I'm beginning to question things much more and starting to ask myself morally ambiguous questions to divulge myself from my own version of "Truth", or rather the truth I've cosigned myself into believing. I've begun to separate Fact from Truth, as I think there is a distinction between the two now. Facts are the "what" while Truth is the "why". I dunno. It could just be incoherent ramblings by me, but I'm starting to question my own beliefs as of late, and what I think to be Truth that isn't formulated from others or my own personal echochamber.

Cardcaptor

Status

I don't agree with the personal attacks on Dak, I don't think they're necessary.

I'd rather stick to attacking the political points he's made instead and have a decent discussion on them. But it's sad that it's impossible to do that in this thread, and honestly I'm nearing the point where I want to avoid this thread myself. We all generally have the same opinion besides Dak, and I do applude him for having to courage to go against that wave in here. I don't agree with him, and I don't agree that it is agree to disagree like he said here because with Trump we have more than just normal Democrat-GOP values at stake. We've got morals at stake. So I get that it's hard for us to talk about.

If Dak would like to give the reasons why he thinks Obama made a long lasting negative impact, I can give the reasons why I think Trump has, and we can have an adult conversation about it, I'd be open to it. But if he chooses not to I respect that choice. For example, Obama's ACA vs Trump's many executive orders.

Dak may even have a point in regards to some policies, especially if you disagree with Obama. His ACA has proven difficult to reverse, while most of Trump's damage is through executive orders that are easy to undo.

But I do think the judges Trump has appointed, which are over 100 at this rate, is where we'll see the most damage. I don't think any judge regardless of party should be appointed for life.
    Eh, I just like teasing him because he brings it on himself. He starts so much drama, and then cries about it. Even mods and admins laugh at it now. It's just...Like it's own meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Cornette View Post
    I dunno about you guys, but I've recently been beginning to suffer a sort of crisis of ethics and morals. I'm beginning to question things much more and starting to ask myself morally ambiguous questions to divulge myself from my own version of "Truth", or rather the truth I've cosigned myself into believing. I've begun to separate Fact from Truth, as I think there is a distinction between the two now. Facts are the "what" while Truth is the "why". I dunno. It could just be incoherent ramblings by me, but I'm starting to question my own beliefs as of late, and what I think to be Truth that isn't formulated from others or my own personal echochamber.
    I have an incredibly hard time dealing with any sort of "morals" or even beginning to understand them. I've always been absolutely terrible at understanding emotions of myself or anyone else, so ehh.

Page 300 of 303 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302 ... LastLast

Thread Information