Page 275 of 286 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,500 of 5709

Thread: The Civil NA Politics Thread

  1. #5481
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    The friend of mine (Canadian) who posted this said "Canada doesn’t have the recognition of its racism that the United States does" and I won't pretend I know much about the plight of indigenous Canadians but I'm interested in knowing more about what their climate is there regarding institutionalized racism
    There plenty of racism in Montreal amongst the police. The cheif of Police here said on record, we have a racism problem within our ranks. Then there is also the way the cops deal with natives( ones not on the reserves)

    Does Canada have issues with racism? Hell yeah...its just not as bad as the US but its still bad enough that it needs addressing.

    NDP leader Jagmeet Singh called out Trudeau yesterday in regards to our institutionalized racism and how the police deal with minorities, natives etc.

    Quebecs premier is regarded as a bigot for bill 21, which would ban hijabs, crosses and turbans(anything religious) from being worn in a government buildings, Schools and hospitals. He claims its a secular law but everyone knows asking someone to hide a cross around their neck isn't the same as asking a Sikh to remove his turban
    Last edited by indyfan; 06-03-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  2. #5482
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1867979
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    The friend of mine (Canadian) who posted this said "Canada doesn’t have the recognition of its racism that the United States does" and I won't pretend I know much about the plight of indigenous Canadians but I'm interested in knowing more about what the climate is there regarsing institutionalized racism
    Canada does not have the recognition of racism that the United States does because Canada can point down south and say "hey, we're not that bad" in much the same way the UK & Australia & countless others have in the wake of whats happening in the U.S. I've seen pictures of people in my town mimicking the George Floyd murder which I feel like sums up how racism is here.

    It's honestly hard to sum it up here but I can point towards keywords if you wanted to do your own researching: Carding police policies (excuse for cops to stop minorities especially black men who are frequently targetted), reservations are shit shows, Reserve Schools, the fact that we took decades & decades to even recompense indigenous veterans, the rampant murder & disappearance of indigenous women, mass incarceration of indigenous people, police brutality (in the suburban town I grew up in, an off duty cop & his brother beat up a black teenager so bad he lost an eye - took months & the involvement of a lawyer before they were even charged, the teenager was charged first - we are also now petitioning for body cams after a black woman died under police supervision), a facebook page predominantly composed of cops & ex-cops shared a picture (enthusiastically) of two cops beating up a black man. I think the big difference between Canada & US with regards to Black people is that we arent nearly as spread out as they are in the U.S. and a significant portion are immigrants and concentrated in the bigger cities. And honestly, the treatment of indigenous people in this country has been so heinous its kinda got to be priority #1. It's disgusting.




    Im not sure I need to say more?

    All I'll say is growing up in Canada doesnt stop you from being told dont fuck with the police, dont trust the police, stay the fuck away from the police. Dont give them any excuses.

  3. #5483
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    There have actually been black people from the US claim refugee status to get into Canada because of the US police issues
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  4. #5484
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1867979
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    There have actually been black people from the US claim refugee status to get into Canada because of the US police issues
    Genuinely curious what's the intent of this post?

  5. #5485
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Genuinely curious what's the intent of this post?
    Because racism in Canada isn't the same as it is in the US. Its not racism free but its not as bad as the US.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  6. #5486
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1867979
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Canada does not have the recognition of racism that the United States does because Canada can point down south and say "hey, we're not that bad" in much the same way the UK & Australia & countless others have in the wake of whats happening in the U.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Because racism in Canada isn't the same as it is in the US. Its not racism free but its not as bad as the US.
    See what I mean?

    Im not gonna try and convince anyone of anything but if you're looking at what's happening in the U.S., no matter where else in the world you are, and your thought process is "hey, (at least) we're not that bad", you've missed the point, and you're part of the problem.

  7. #5487
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    See what I mean?

    Im not gonna try and convince anyone of anything but if you're looking at what's happening in the U.S., no matter where else in the world you are, and your thought process is "hey, (at least) we're not that bad", you've missed the point, and you're part of the problem.
    Oh well, i guess im part of the problem according to you.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  8. #5488
    Fight The Power
    Jiggy's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    7,216
    Rep Power
    1341880

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Oh well, i guess im part of the problem according to you.
    This post is ironic to me only because you have a Confederate flag under your avatar (Briscoes)



    Black Lives Matter.
    Trans Rights are Human Rights.
    FUCK THE POLICE.

  9. #5489
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    This post is ironic to me only because you have a Confederate flag under your avatar (Briscoes)
    i didnt create it. im just a fan of the Briscoes.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  10. #5490

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    i didnt create it. im just a fan of the Briscoes.
    I mean, the confederate flag was made over 150 years ago. No one waving the flag now created it...

  11. #5491
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1867979
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread



    Tweet matters less than the video. It's a significant enough issue that our prime minister has to address it (though skillfully dodges any meaningful answer). "Our system unfairly targets Indigenous canadians and black canadians. We know we need to improve our justice system & rates of incarceration."

    We're not that bad isnt good enough. We dont want not as bad racism, we dont want racism period. Im not sure why thats hard to understand. People run to the U.S. for safety knowing how dangerous it is because it can be safer than where they are running from. That's not an excuse we would tolerate from Americans to pat their backs, so why is it for other countries? Why isnt the instinct to say "I understand, there is room for improvement", why is it instead satisfaction that we arent as racist as one of the most racist countries in the world. You wouldnt go to the U.S. and tell a Black American it's not as bad as Brazil. Stop saying Canada isnt as bad as the U.S. It's irrelevant. It's still bad.

  12. #5492
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I mean, the confederate flag was made over 150 years ago. No one waving the flag now created it...
    i meant the Briscoes icon( is that the proper term for it..icon)
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  13. #5493

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    i meant the Briscoes icon( is that the proper term for it..icon)
    I know that. That's what I was referring to. The point that Jiggy seemed to be making is that you're still showing off the confederate flag, regardless if you created it or not. Same as those that wave the confederate flag these days.

  14. #5494
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post


    Tweet matters less than the video. It's a significant enough issue that our prime minister has to address it (though skillfully dodges any meaningful answer). "Our system unfairly targets Indigenous canadians and black canadians. We know we need to improve our justice system & rates of incarceration."

    We're not that bad isnt good enough. We dont want not as bad racism, we dont want racism period. Im not sure why thats hard to understand. People run to the U.S. for safety knowing how dangerous it is because it can be safer than where they are running from. That's not an excuse we would tolerate from Americans to pat their backs, so why is it for other countries? Why isnt the instinct to say "I understand, there is room for improvement", why is it instead satisfaction that we arent as racist as one of the most racist countries in the world. You wouldnt go to the U.S. and tell a Black American it's not as bad as Brazil. Stop saying Canada isnt as bad as the U.S. It's irrelevant. It's still bad.
    i already said we needed improvement and even stated racism that i know of. That doesnt change the fact its worse in US.

    Also do you know anyone who was told you can fuck with the police?
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  15. #5495
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,279
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I know that. That's what I was referring to. The point that Jiggy seemed to be making is that you're still showing off the confederate flag, regardless if you created it or not. Same as those that wave the confederate flag these days.
    If WC owners have an issue with the icon..why is it still here?

    can one of you graphic guys make a Briscoes icon for me that doesnt offend? Or do i have to pay for a membership for that?
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  16. #5496

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    If WC owners have an issue with the icon..why is it still here?

    can one of you graphic guys make a Briscoes icon for me that doesnt offend? Or do i have to pay for a membership for that?
    A WC owner isn't even talking about this.

    Even Jiggy isn't even voicing that he has a problem with it, just bringing up the irony that you'd choose to use it when it has a confederate flag on it. In fact, no one is even saying it's offensive.

    Personally, my little point is that you tried to dismiss Jiggy's initial mention of it with, "but I didn't create it" with a reminder that it's still your personal choice to wear it.

  17. #5497
    War Eagle
    CNEW2's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    507
    Rep Power
    98544
      Country                    United States

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    These are chaotic and strange times to be living in. Like others, I can't even begin to comprehend what it's like for POC to live in this country when stuff like this happens. I've always seen the videos, heard the stories, but always just seemed to say "damn, how horrible...but at least not every cop is like that.", unfortunately, it seems the amount of police/politicians/people in power that are "like that" is far more than realized, or maybe wanted to admit. I saw someone post back that they didn't vote in '16, but if they were forced would've chosen Trump over Hilary and I would fall in that same group. Wouldn't have enjoyed it then, wouldn't have enjoyed it now, but up until recently I didn't think there was a chance in hell that Trump lost the 2020 election...but with each passing incident and even these new Epstein documents surfacing, how can he possibly be our President?

    It's crazy that so many people looked at Trump over Hilary as the lesser of two evils, and even now, you have Trump and his list (long, long, long, long, loooong list) of wrongdoings/allegations just everything and then you have Biden, who sat down and literally had the audacity to say "if you don't know who to vote for in November...you ain't black." as if he's entitled to the black vote because of...who knows. I don't like either one of these two as a candidate, same as 2016, but it's impossible to think Biden could be worse than this.

  18. #5498
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1867979
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    i already said we needed improvement and even stated racism that i know of. That doesnt change the fact its worse in US.

    Also do you know anyone who was told you can fuck with the police?
    It simply comes across to me like you're more concerned with making sure people are aware that it's not as bad as the US than anything else. No one stated it was. I feel stupid for having to explain this but it's literally All Lives Matter. It's people being more concerned with reminding people that all lives matter than they are of standing by blm.

    And I feel like you're willfully disregarding what I meant. To be a bit more straightforward, I was never raised to think of the police as servants of the community or people to turn to for support. It would never cross my mind to dial 911 if I was feeling unsafe.

    http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/public-inte...mination-black

    When you're telling me it's not that bad or as bad, to me that feels dismissive.



    No one needs to hear that the racism or honestly general shittiness that they're going through is not as bad as the racism someone else is going through. There's no levels to the shittiness. It's not a contest. If it's bad, it's bad. I dont think I'm being unreasonable in disagreeing with your insistence on reminding everyone things arent as bad as the US.

  19. #5499
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    8,686
    Rep Power
    1041336

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    In my opinion, when you say "It's not as bad as ____", you're accepting that it's still bad. You're downplaying an issue simply because it is worse elsewhere, which solves nothing.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  20. #5500
     
    Sully's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7,567
    Rep Power
    1459977
      Country                    United States

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Guys did you hear, turns out Trump wasn't hiding in his bunker during protests...he was just inspecting it to see if it was okay! Thank goodness.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/polit...ker/index.html

Page 275 of 286 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •