Thread: Total Combat Wrestling

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Total Combat Wrestling

Total Combat Wrestling

A brief introduction. Total Combat Wrestling is a wrestling cooperative founded in 2004 in Los Angeles. Owned by an ever changing Wrestler's Union, the current president of TCW is multi-time World Champion "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash. The President is voted on every 4 years, and though there's no term limit, the President can't have back to back terms. At any point, the wrestler's can make a vote of no confidence regarding the President.

This thread will largely catalog the results of TCW's shows in a way that most closely resembles IHeartDG if anyone's familiar with that. Generally, the results will be pretty barebones and I won't blame you if it's not something you find yourself inclined to keep up with. I'll add any extra details when I feel they're necessary, and might even go overboard, but my goal is mostly to keep progressing so I don't want to linger too much on the writing bit. All that said, the presentation will be flexible depending on how I'm feeling really and what I figure out.

I won't put a great deal of effort in maintaining any sort of realistic roster. I'm using TEW but it's not really a reliable simulator so if I get my hands on Batista, it is what it is. I'd love to stay away from any real world scumbag but unfortunately I can't keep track of all of them so if you notice I've signed one, please let me know so I can make sure to blacklist them. There will be an ever revolving door. A guy who appears in the first show might never appear on another show ever again. I'd like to get a chance to book all the guys I like so if the opportunity pops up I'll usually bring someone in for a one off.

I will be attempting to build up a womens division but obviously in 2004 that won't be easy. Fortunately we have the foresight of knowing who will be good so I'm sure we'll cheese it. I can't promise I'll do much better than IRL's AEW.

TCW on ESPN will be the company's flagship show, a 2hr event held every Wednesday night. As of this moment, there aren't any planned PPVs but that can always change at some point later on. For the moment, I've enjoyed AEW's real life focus on weekly shows over PPV and AEW is largely going to be an influence on this thread for better or worse. There will probably be a secondary 90 minute show that will be mostly AEW Dark-esque in that it's just the regulars getting matches against nameless dudes.

First off:

TCW announces a 16-Man Elimination match to crown the first ever TCW World Champion:

The following wrestlers have signed on to participate in the inaugural TCW tournament. In a show of friendship to the companies the wrestlers hail from, they'll be allowed to bring along any championships they hold elsewhere to best represent those companies. The draws for this tournament were done at random (just kidding).

AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
    Ron Killings vs. Sean Waltman
    Dustin Rhodes vs. Steve Corino
    Josh Barnett vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
    Jeff Hardy vs. Minoru Suzuki
    Christopher Daniels vs. Jack Evans
    CIMA vs. Sabu
    Monty Brown vs. Tommy End

Joe/Styles vs. Waltman/Killings
    Rhodes/Corino vs. Barnett/Nakamura
    Hardy/Suzuki vs. Daniels/Evans
    CIMA/Sabu vs. Brown/End

Joe/Styles/Waltman/Killings vs. Rhodes/Corino/Barnett/Nakamura
    Hardy/Suzuki/Daniels/Evans vs. CIMA/Sabu/Brown/End

etc.

TCW announces a 4-team Round Robin tournament to crown the first ever TCW World Tag Team Champions:

Simultaneous to the tournament to crown the first ever TCW World Champion, 4 teams have been signed on for a Round Robin tournament to become the first tag team champions in TCW history. The two teams that manage to finish top will face off in a final match to determine the company's first gold winners.

1. America's Most Wanted (Chris Harris & James Storm)
    2. Second City Saints (CM Punk & Colt Cabana)
    3. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe)
    4. The Havana Pitbulls (Ricky Reyes & Rocky Romero)
    Last edited by Todd Chavez; 10-16-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: Total Combat Wrestling

The moment you said from Los Angeles you got me hooked. Anything with my hometown in a sucker for. I always understand that most people like to stick with a set realistic roster because it makes it easy but sometimes I love a completely fantasy roster so I’m all in. I wish you luck.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Nice. Always good to see you back in the game and I'm posting just to sub more than anything.

I can say that I have at least some interest in all 16 men in the tournament and an interest in 3/4 teams. Not familiar with Pitbulls.

Good luck.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J WorldChamp View Post
    The moment you said from Los Angeles you got me hooked. Anything with my hometown in a sucker for. I always understand that most people like to stick with a set realistic roster because it makes it easy but sometimes I love a completely fantasy roster so I’m all in. I wish you luck.
    Envious. I always wish I grew up in L.A., minus the less savory American stuff. Still would love to live there for at least a year one day.

This won't be completely fantasy admittedly but I definitely won't restrict myself too much if someone fun to book becomes available. Already the NJPW dudes popping up is probably a tick on the unrealism column

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Nice. Always good to see you back in the game and I'm posting just to sub more than anything.

I can say that I have at least some interest in all 16 men in the tournament and an interest in 3/4 teams. Not familiar with Pitbulls.

Good luck.
    Im keeping myself to signing guys I like to book so I imagine outside certain Japanese dudes, you'll be able to recognize just about everyone.

1/2 of Pitbulls is Rocky Romero who teamed up with Trent as Roppongi for a while. Ricky Reyes was the cop in Lucha Underground w/ Joey Ryan. If that helps any

As I said, the results format is a WIP. If there are thoughts that don't involve the amount of content then I'm all ears.

TCW on ESPN #1
    Announcers:
    Excalibur, Tony Schiavone
    Referees: Bryce Remsburg, Laura Mattano, Mike Posey, Patrick Hernandez
    Road Agents: Dusty Rhodes, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase Sr.

Notes:

Second City Saints and America's Most Wanted, 3/4 of which work for NWA:TNA, put on a solid tag match to open up the show. America's Most Wanted wrestled like an old school heel tag team, and Punk visibly got bothered whenever Colt would fall for their tricks. Inevitably, it was one of those tricks that left Punk laid out on the outside and Cabana easy prey to AMW.

Jeff Hardy, WWE's former problem child, made his debut after spending most of 2003 tackling his personal demons. TCW had no qualms about having him go the distance in only his third match in 8 months. His opponent was Minoru Suzuki, a freelancer from Japan with a knack for brutalizing his opponent. Brutalize he did, when Jeff wasn't pulling off one high risk move or another, Suzuki was leaving him purple. Suzuki had a bit of trouble with Jeff's fast paced style and that might have saved the Enigmatic wrestler in the long run. After a 25 minute half-marathon, Hardy soared for a Swanton Bomb. Suzuki's vicious gaze at the end seemed to point to more pain in store for TCW's roster.

Tommy End is the youngest competitor in the TCW's World Championship tournament and he had a chance to shock the world of wrestling by going far. Ahead of the match, Brown was supremely confident in a pre-match interview. He titled himself as an Alpha Male, said he didn't know who the scrub TCW had drudged up for him was but he was going to beat him up real bad. Brown lived up to his promises and used the match more as a moveset showcase than any sort of competitive affair. It ended in just under 3 minutes. If any credit can be given to End, he shrugged off referee aid to walk to the back on his own.

The youthful tag team of The Briscoe Brothers were able to vanquish slightly more veteran team of Havana Pitbulls in an eight minute tag team match. They tie up with AMW atop the tag table. They've got a date with Second City Saints next week while The Pitbulls will face off against a team with a win to their name in America's Most Wanted.

Dustin Rhodes talked about how his career had been filled with failure for 15 years now, but he was going to put an end to that with TCW. He was going to prove he could be the face of a company. He was going to live up to his name. Steve Corino targeted that promise, he insisted that tonight would be just another chapter, like any other, in both Corino and Rhodes's stories. Corino's story of upsetting expectations, and Rhodes's story of failing to meet expectations. The match was suitably vicious and relentless with Dustin's desperation to prove himself right and Corino's thrill at hurting Dustin coming to a head. The anger between both kept this one short, with Dustin allowing the American Dream to live on one more win after a Lone Star State of Mind.

The main event was the major hook of the show. Samoa Joe is currently ROH World Heavyweight Champion and this isn't his first date with AJ Styles. AJ Styles was NWA World Heavyweight Championship not too long ago, and clearly craves the taste of gold. These are two of the greatest rising stars in the business. If TCW wanted to cement what it was about, placing them in the main event was a great step. Even so, only one could win and move on in the tournament. Styles was relatively respectful of Joe, particularly admirable of how dominant and skilled he was. Joe, in his own right, was very confident in his skills. He promised to beat the shit out of Styles. And, well, for 13 minutes, Joe beat the shit out of Styles. Short of Brown & End, this was the most one sided match of the night. Joe didn't come to play and Styles found himself outmatched with an opponent he might've seen as an equal beforehand. After 13 minutes of bullying the former NWA World Heavyweight Champion, the current ROH World Heavyweight Champion hit the Island Driver, grabbed his belt, and left the building.

1. America’s Most Wanted [Chris Harris (W) & James Storm] (15:58 Death Sentence) The Second City Saints [CM Punk & Colt Cabana (L)] - [4/10]
    2. Jeff Hardy (25:08 Swanton Bomb) Minoru Suzuki - [5/10]
    3. Monty Brown (2:59 Alpha Slam) Tommy End - [2/10]
    4. The Briscoe Brothers [Jay Briscoe (W) & Mark Briscoe] (7:47 Springboard Doomsday Device) The Havana Pitbulls [Ricky Reyes (L) & Rocky Romero] - [2/10]
    5. Dustin Rhodes (10:25 Lone Star State of Mind) Steve Corino - [5/10]
    6. Samoa Joe (12:43 Island Driver) AJ Styles - [7/10]

[X/10 = Rating]

Updated Quarter Finals Tournament Brackets:

Samoa Joe vs. Waltman/Killings
    Dustin Rhodes vs. Barnett/Nakamura
    Jeff Hardy vs. Daniels/Evans
    CIMA/Sabu vs. Monty Brown

All About That Ace

Status

TCW on ESPN #2
    Announcers:
    Excalibur, Tony Schiavone
    Referees:
    Bryce Remsburg, Laura Mattano, Mike Posey, Patrick Hernandez
    Road Agents:
    Dusty Rhodes, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase Sr.

Notes:

The show followed a similar format as the first episode of TCW on ESPN, largely focusing on the in-ring action with pre-match interviews to introduce the competitors in the TCW World Championship tournament.

The Second City Saints were desperate for a win in their second match of the tournament but The Briscoe Brothers were arguably the team you were less likely to be able to push around in this company. Cabana's comedic antics pissed them off quite a bit until Mark Briscoe weirdly enough began to match them. Both Punk & Jay found themselves reining in their partners. Conversely, Punk & Jay beat the holy hell out of each other to up the tempo when they were in the squared circle. Cabana ultimately got some redemption for taking the pin last week with a pin of his own this week. The win guarantees The Second City Saints title hopes remain alive.

Waltman and Killings presented themselves as two talented athletes who had all the potential in the world to become the face of a top wrestling company but needed to prove they could separate themselves from the pack. This tournament was their best opportunity to do that. No shenanigans. No politics. The best wrestler would become the face of TCW. The pair wrestled a fast-paced affair that went on relentlessly for 15 minutes and ended out of nowhere with a Waltman X-Factor. Waltman knows that if he fancies making his dreams come true, he has a massive challenge next week in Samoa Joe, and the look on his face said he recognized that.

The second tournament match of the night featured two wrestlers known by one name. CIMA didn't have a history of gold until last week when he won the AJPW World Junior Heavyweight title. Sabu is a decorated wrestler but he's known more for the brutal risks he takes more than the belts he's held. There were big immediate stakes in this match: CIMA has already signed an exclusive contract with AJPW and his time with TCW is a ticking clock. The Japanese guest has said he still wants to leave the company with its top singles prize. In a rather aggressive and violent match, CIMA upset the former ECW World Heavyweight Champion in just 12 minutes, immediately putting the rest of the TCW roster on alert. There was open wonder as to if CIMA might in fact fulfill his promise and go the full way to walk away with the TCW World Championship.

The Havana Pitbulls were extremely determined in their tag affair with America's Most Wanted. Chris Harris was working through a Strained Bicep and that proved to be AMW's undoing. The Pitbulls targeted it all match, and Harris found himself on the wrong end of the Cuban Missile Crisis eight minutes in. AMW may want to shrug this loss off and hope to be fully healthy for their bout with The Briscoe Brothers next week.

32 year old independent staple Christopher Daniels is what Jack Evans aspires to become one day, but he's got a long road ahead of him for that. Daniels for his part, did not extend any respect for Evans. He called Evans a glorified backyard wrestler, an example of what people mistakenly think when they imagine an independent wrestler. Daniels decided he wouldn't let this match just be a footnote on his road to becoming champion, he was going to use it as a learning opportunity for a punk that wasn't really fit to lace his shoes. In the end, the fans were treated to a fun highlight reel for close to twelve minutes with Daniels and Evans soaring across the ring more than they were walking or running across it. Evans stamina gave at the relentless pace and Daniels capitalized on it with the Angels Wings. Evans tried to go for a handshake post-match but Daniels ignored it and continued celebrating.

The main event of the night had been something TCW tried its hardest to promote. Josh Barnett is a top tier Mixed Martial Artist, only 26 years old, and had made his professional wrestling debut against Yuji Nagata in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom last year. His opponent was the Japanese "Super Rookie" Shinsuke Nakamura, the current & youngest IWGP Heavyweight Champion. He too had his share of MMA experience. Unfortunately, the match failed to live up to expectations and was arguably even cut short. The 15 minute affair was underwhelming in quality compared to the other tournament matches. There were arguments that Nakamura's lack of familiarity with the American audience and Barnett's own in-ring experience played a factor. As for the match itself, it was a straight forward one with both wrestlers getting even chances to showcase their styles. The "Super Rookie" ultimately fell prey to a sudden Captured Buster and that was it. Barnett celebrated the win and signaled for the belt he sought after. It wasn't an awful main event, but when TCW billed itself as a wrestling-centric company, it left quite a bit to be desired.

1. The Second City Saints [CM Punk & Colt Cabana (W)] (17:44 Doomsday Dropkick) The Briscoe Brothers [Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe (L)] - [3/10]
    2. Sean Waltman (15:23 X-Factor) Ron Killings - [6/10]
    3. CIMA (11:53 Schwein) Sabu - [5/10]
    4. The Havana Pitbulls [Ricky Reyes & Rocky Romero (W)] (8:20 Cuban Missile Crisis) America’s Most Wanted [Chris Harris (L) & James Storm] - [3/10]
    5. Christopher Daniels (11:30 Angels Wings) Jack Evans - [5/10]
    6. Josh Barnett (15:26 Captured Buster) Shinsuke Nakamura - [4/10]

Next week's Quarter-Finals:

Samoa Joe vs. Sean Waltman

Dustin Rhodes vs. Josh Barnett

Christopher Daniels vs. Jeff Hardy

CIMA vs. Monty Brown
    Last edited by Todd Chavez; 10-17-2020 at 04:19 PM.

All About That Ace

Status

TCW on ESPN #3
    Announcers: Excalibur, Tony Schiavone
    Referees: Bryce Remsburg, Laura Mattano, Mike Posey, Patrick Hernandez
    Road Agents:
    Dusty Rhodes, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase Sr.

Notes:

The 3rd episode of TCW on ESPN means the Quarter-Finals of the TCW World Championship tournament and the final night of the Round Robin series for the TCW World Tag Team Championship, making it a particularly exciting night of wrestling in Long Beach.

The Second City Saints were on game in an important match against The Havana Pitbulls. Punk & Cabana worked harmoniously, though the Pitbulls remained aggressive throughout, especially against Punk. It's their focus on Punk that likely allowed Cabana to get fiery and turn the tables around in the end. Punk ultimately collected a pin to book The Second City Saints a TCW World Tag Team Championship match next week! They'd be keeping an eye out to see who their opponent would be later today.

Dustin Rhodes had big ambitions to finally live up to his last name, and a win over a top contender like mixed martial arts crossover star Josh Barnett would go along way to proving he was serious. Unfortunately, Dustin Rhodes American dream came short against The Babyfaced Assassin. Rhodes is one of the toughest men in wrestling, but he couldn't much deal with Barnett's aggressive offensive. Rhodes often had to resort to his environment for assistance. He sent Barnett crashing against announcer's desk, barricade, ring post, and even the referee. Even so, it wouldn't slow down Barnett for too long who ultimately put Rhodes to rest with the Capture Buster.

After the match, Barnett was interviewed by TCW President Kevin Nash ahead of his semi-final showdown. Barnett was short on words: I've faced tougher, I'm not worried. Nash could only chuckle as Barnett went back to celebrating.

The second tournament match of the night was between shock first round winner and current AJPW World Junior Heavyweight Champion CIMA and the Alpha Male Monty Brown. CIMA had made it his intent to capture the TCW World Championship and leave with it and had showed he was serious in a win over decorated extremist Sabu. Monty Brown did not care about any of that. CIMA showed tough and speedy offense early on, even knocking Brown to a knee, but ultimately, when Brown knocked CIMA out of the pair with a Pounce that had the crowd momentarily stunned, it was the end for the AJPW-bound wrestler. Brown hit the Alpha Bomb shortly after to book his spot.

Monty Brown told Kevin Nash that he too, knows a thing, about dealing with bugs. He warned Hardy and Daniels, either one, that if they thought they could hippity hop back and forth across the ring, they had another pounce coming to them.

A clip was shown of A.J. Styles challenging Sabu to a singles match next week. He said that he felt like the first round loss wasn't a big deal, everyone had losses. It didn't change that A.J. was a former NWA World Heavyweight Champion and Sabu was a former ECW World Heavyweight Champion. They were both two tremendous wrestlers and two tremendous wrestlers belonged in the ring together. Another clip was shown of Sabu replying very briefly "sure" to A.J. Styles challenge. Excalibur and Tony Schiavone confirmed that A.J. Styles & Sabu would face off in a big match-up that was sure to contain its own highlight reel in next week's episode.

The second tag team match of the night was a particularly short one, and an embarrassing one for the young brotherly team of Jay & Mark Briscoe. Jay refused to tag with Mark early on after his antics against The Second City Saints. This led to Mark getting towed with by AMW for a decent bit of time until Jay finally accepted a tag, calling Mark a baby for not toughing it out. Unfortunately for Jay, he spent so long chastising Mark, he couldn't anticipate he'd be put away with a Death Sentence just a couple of seconds later.

The Second City Saints immediately rushed down the ring after the bell rung, charging after America's Most Wanted. They focused on Chris Harris who was outside the ring at the time, and took to attacking James Storm once Harris had been laid out outside. CM Punk was clearly directing the way for Colt, barking orders to his partner. The pair celebrated the cheap beatdown after the fact.

The semi-main event of the night was between current ROH World Champion Samoa Joe and APW Universal Heavyweight Champion Sean Waltman. This match was more or less Sean Waltman delaying the inevitable. Joe tossed him around the ring and bullied him. Occasionally, Waltman would get brief sprints of offense but they only stalled Joe for so long. Eventually, Waltman's hopes of collecting a world title on a national stage were put to rest by a Coquina Clutch shortly passed the 10th minute. Joe held the submission for much longer after the bell.

Joe did not take kindly to Nash asking him about his expectations heading into a fight against Josh Barnett. Joe asked him Nash had seen what he did to his buddy Sean Waltman. Nash had no words. Joe baited him and asked him repeatedly, over and over again. Joe shrugged, and decided to show him once again, locking on the Coquina Clutch until Nash admitted to seeing it. Joe said that's what he thought. Joe asked Nash if he still wanted to know what Joe's expectations were. Nash had no reply. Joe shook his head and left.

The main event of the night came between "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels and "The Enigma" Jeff Hardy. Daniels brought a great deal of aggressiveness to this one, knowing real well Hardy had the adoration of the fans behind him, and a history in the big leagues to legitimize him. It might be that aggressiveness that caused him to make several big mistakes across the match that allowed Hardy spurts of offense that had the crowd rallying behind him. Daniels played quite the foil to Jeff though, often outsmarting and baiting him into big risk as well to turn the tables back around. It was ultimately Jeff's resilience that allowed him to take out Daniels after the man disputed Bryce Remsburg's 2 count on an Angels Wings, and found himself struck with a Twist of Fate when he finally turned his attention back on his victim.

Jeff Hardy was asked about the threat Monty Brown made earlier in the night of sending him flying with a Pounce if he tried "hippity hopping". Jeff said that was all fine and good, Jeff likes to fly high, and if Brown was willing to help with that, then he'd take all the help he could get. Nash wasn't sure what to make of that, but it put an end to this edition of TCW on ESPN.

1. The Second City Saints [CM Punk(W) & Colt Cabana] (13:23 Doomsday Dropkick) The Havana Pitbulls [Ricky Reyes & Rocky Romero(L)] - [4/10]
    2. Josh Barnett (15:08 Capture Buster) Dustin Rhodes - [5/10]
    3. Monty Brown (5:49 Alpha Bomb) CIMA [4/10]
    4. America’s Most Wanted [Chris Harris & James Storm(W)] (6:57 Death Sentence) Briscoe Brothers [Jay Briscoe(L) & Mark Briscoe] - [3/10]
    5. Samoa Joe (10:10 Coquina Clutch) Sean Waltman - [6/10]
    6. Jeff Hardy (21:25 Twist of Fate) Christopher Daniels - [6/10]

Next Week's Announced Card:

1. TCW World Championship Semi-Final: "The Babyfaced Assassin" Josh Barnett vs. "The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe
    2. TCW World Championship Semi-Final: "The Enigma" Jeff Hardy vs. "The Alpha Male" Monty Brown
    3. TCW World Tag Team Championship: The Second City Saints [CM Punk & Colt Cabana] vs. America's Most Wanted [Chris Harris & James Storm]
    4. "The Phenominal" A.J. Styles vs. "The Genocidal, Suicidal, Homicidal" Sabu

Thread Information