Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WC Fantasy Baseball - Dynasty League

God's Gift to God

Status

Re: WC Fantasy Baseball - Dynasty League

I'm open to doing the original template but it's failed so many times now. If people still wanna do the regular dynasty style league we all fleshed out that's cool.

This was just an alternate route for those of us that wanted to play for money. It's a mandatory fee there's no free league and it's incredibly in-depth. My thinking was if we couldn't get a full league I could either start an Ottoneu and then open it up to the public or the few of us interested could try to join the same league.

Auction style can suck depending on the structure for sure. With a league like this I would wager it wouldn't be such a bad experience but I don't blame anyone for not doing it. There's additional strategy involved because the players are nominated by the owners which I appreciate instead of people always drafting for position rather than taking depth and then never trading.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Auction style is co but I'll do whatever gets the most participation.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

I since have my back account re-open finally last year, I'll be cool to put in $20 when we finally have a legit league. BUT, how many people are still willing to pay that much money to compete? It's harder than it looks to try to get people to play for money on here, since we barely can get ten people to join Zero's league.

As for an auction league, I'll roll with it if everyone's okay with the draft format.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

God's Gift to God

Status

Bump. Zero if you read this are you continuing the League we've been doing?

Still open to doing a regular Dynasty style league longhand where we have to utilize off-site record keeping but still bumping to see if anyone has interest in the above mentioned automated league.

God's Gift to God

Status

Additional bump:

I did some research into this and it looks like we could theoretically make this a private league so all of us WC'ers could join and then open up to the public to fill. So in terms of getting this off the ground, if you're interested in the Ottoneu on Fangraphs, reply to this post so I can know for sure. I've never done this so I'm keeping everything barebones. It would be $20 (paid through the site, you don't send it or entrust it to me) and using Fangraph Points scoring.

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    Additional bump:

I did some research into this and it looks like we could theoretically make this a private league so all of us WC'ers could join and then open up to the public to fill. So in terms of getting this off the ground, if you're interested in the Ottoneu on Fangraphs, reply to this post so I can know for sure. I've never done this so I'm keeping everything barebones. It would be $20 (paid through the site, you don't send it or entrust it to me) and using Fangraph Points scoring.
    I’m down for whatever type of league we do. I just missed the boat on fantasy sports on here last year, so count me in for the Fangraphs league or any other type of league we decide on.

Status

Additional bump:

I'm good for whatever man, as long as everything's not too complicated to understand.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    I'm good for whatever man, as long as everything's not too complicated to understand.
    It's definitely different than you're used to. And would require a little bit of reading up on the scoring and everything. It's a similar idea, but you actual control a 40 man roster like in MLB. There's a salary cap, drafting is done by nominating players and bidding on them and there's even arbitration in the off-season and stuff. I linked to the format earlier in the thread so definitely check that out. I'd hate for you or anyone to pony up money for a league like this then realize you don't like how it's done. Even I don't know for sure how much I would enjoy it as I've never played it. I'm taking over a team in a league that was abandoned so I'll be cutting my teeth that way. But I already have a team and it's basically like a rebuild because I have to off-load players before the draft and even then I'll be drafting from a shallow pool.

But this sounds AMAZING.

God's Gift to God

Status

So I'm assuming this is DOA again, yeah? If I'm counting right there was 4 of us. Me, TGO, Battle and Doom that were definitely interested in the FG league. Shawn is out for auction style. I don't know if Mitch would be down for the FG auction style either. So bumping again for any of Jake/Zero whoever that might wanna throw 20 into a team.

The Q at the above mentioned that were in is: Are you still interested? I can start a league and set it to private until we all join. Then I can open it to fill the rest of the league. There are currently 0 public leagues featuring the 20 buy in. Most are either private or asking waaay more for a buy-in because you don't get prizes unless you fork over $50 or more.

So I'm still willing to start a league and do it that way but it's up to y'all. I joined a league and took over a team and have been enjoying that aspect but I'd really like to start a league that carries over year-to-year.

God's Gift to God

Status

Ok. So instead of continuing to just talk about this I went ahead and created the league I was discussing. This is the Fangraphs Ottoneu league through their site. For the next 2-3 weeks I am going to keep this a private league to get as many WC'ers in that want to play. This is the link: https://ottoneu.fangraphs.com/proces...IxODIxNjMifQ== and the password is "theclique" without the quotes.

Here are the official rules and details on the depth of the league: https://ottoneu.fangraphs.com/rules

Just a few notes here for anyone that wants to play:

1. Please remember that this is a PAID league with a mandatory entry fee of $20(USD). They do not offer free leagues. There is NO PRIZE for this league; the entry fee is basically to use their services which are very deep and better than ESPN. Prizes are only dispersed in leagues with a $50 buy-in. I would be willing to bump up to the $50 tier if people want prizes ($300 to 1st and $50 to 2nd) but I figured to start at the lowest entry to get people in and see if they like this format. It's completely different to anything you've ever played. If you join the league you will be redirected to Paypal immediately to pay the $20. You do not pay me or anyone else directly it is all automated through Paypal and easy. If for any reason this league doesn't fill and is disbanded before the season then you get your money back. I already had this happen as I joined a league that ended up deleted because they didn't want randos and I was refunded immediately.

2. This is a DYNASTY league. If you're familiar with the keeper league Zero has been running it's a similar idea, except you can keep your entire roster forever if you want. The catch is you have a $400 salary cap and have to run a 40-man roster. The off-season utilizes an arbitration system where players' salaries will increase just like in real life and you have to decide if you want to continue paying that salary or cut the player, where he will then be put back into the auction pool to be bid on at the next draft. You can also trade players this way and it's incredibly exciting and really encourages you to keep tabs on your team. I love it so far in the other league I joined where I took over a team. For specifics please see the link provided that goes over the depth of this format. One example: You win Mike Trout at auction for $85. You have $315 left to fill out the rest of your 39 roster spots. This can include players in the minors as a way to stash them. In the off-season, all MLB players' salaries are automatically increase by $2 so at minimum Trout will cost you $87. The rest of the teams in the league get $25 that they can allocate to other owners' players to increase their salaries. So Trout's actual salary could end up being like $100 after all is said and done. So in the off-season you have to balance having the best player in the league or entertain trading him to someone that's willing to cover the salary and get pieces for your team. Or even cut him and put him back into the pool and try to buy him again at a cheaper price.

3. In relation to the above, this is intended to be a long-running league. I'd very much like this to be long-term so if you think you won't be interested in staying around then reconsider signing up. By no means are you locked into this forever. Especially since this will be new to a lot of people. If you end up hating the format I'm not going to hold it against you if you don't want to play again next year. But as commissioner I'll have to make sure the league gets filled so the rest of us can play so if you join and decide you don't or can't play next year, please try to give me notice otherwise if we don't hear from you as the league start nears we'll have to cut you regardless.

4. This is an AUCTION STYLE DRAFT. Again, it's different than what everyone is probably used to. A player will be nominated and then all owners can bid on the player. Remember, a $400 salary cap is in place for everyone so it takes strategy to build your team. This is an ONLINE DRAFT and will not be conducted through threads like the other league here. This is done in its own lobby. It's important to note that these drafts take a long time, hours to completion, but the draft can be paused at a certain point and picked back up. So it doesn't NEED to be done in one night and we can chip away at it before the season starts. I picked a random day for the draft date so don't be alarmed when you see it. This will be something we try to mutually agree on since everyone needs to be present.

5. We almost certainly won't fill this with 11 other WC members. If you know someone reliable that would be interested please feel free to share the league link and password and get them in. This may end up in some new members at WC which would be a good thing, but if you know someone that's down for this send them in.

6. All league settings are subject to change if the majority demands. Right now I have it set up for Fangraphs Points, which means each team accumulates points every day and the standings are decided by whoever scores the most at the end of the year. There is a H2H Points system, which would be similar to what we played in the other league, which will have teams with wins and losses and that's how the standings are established. If people join and want H2H I will change, but I like the idea of just accumulating points in the event that you can't change your roster for some reason. Instead of getting screwed and losing because you missed a SP getting scratched or something, it will give you time to make up the points by getting back and adjusting your roster going forward. And the stats aren't identical either. For example, you aren't limited to a particular number of starts per week. There are only 2 SP slots per day, but you can start SP/RP in the RP spot as many times in a week as you wish. BUT there is an overall innings pitched limit of 1500 so you still have to manage your pitchers. The actual lineup setup is:

C
    1B
    SS
    MI (Middle Infielder)
    3B
    OF
    OF
    OF
    OF
    OF
    UTIL

SP
    SP
    RP
    RP
    RP
    RP
    RP

Again please view the link provided above to see the actual way the scoring is done.

--

And that's all I can really think of for now. If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to toss them my way. I'm trying to jump on this early enough so we can get going. Harper and Machado haven't even signed yet so I think we're good on timing. There currently aren't any public leagues open for the $20 entry fee so I'm fairly confident that once we open this it will fill.

Status

I've signed up for my account. All I have to wait for is the email, and then I'll pay my fee right away.

I'm very excited about this!

God's Gift to God

Status

Awesome doom. So far we have me, Mitch and doom once he gets settled. So that's 3 of the 12. I have open invites to tgo and battletank as well so if they join that gets us to 5 of 12 which would be awesome so quick in the process.

Anyone else interested please feel free to join or ask questions.

#HEEL

Status

Are there Mock drafts available?

And for the current point system - the Fangraphs - is that Roto style? I've never heard of it, but I hate hate hate roto.

God's Gift to God

Status

There aren't mock drafts, unfortunately. But there's data out there on the going rates for players which pretty much equates to the best info. Auction drafts will be insanely varied vs regular drafts.

And no it isn't roto. They have separate roto options this is just points. The rules I linked to shows the scoring I believe.

Also I've already had someone reach out through email about joining the league. We're going to attract new Ottoneu players so if anyone is interested please join sooner than later. I'm not going to shut down everyone asking because I want this to fire.

God's Gift to God

Status

Still keeping the league private but I added a blurb in the league description that I'm accepting owner requests via email. I expect this to fill over the next few weeks and I'm targeting the first weekend of March as the draft start. The sooner it fills the quicker we can draft because as noted, the drafts take forever and we can stretch them. Opening Day is March 28 I believe so there's plenty of time but obviously we don't want to push it.

Still 9 openings and anyone here that wants in gets priority as the spots wind down.

Status

Please delete this post.

Wrong thread.

Status

This is a bit frustrating.

I thought I've signed up for the site and supposed to get an email to register my account. I've waited a couple of days, like it said on the website, I didn't get an email from them. I've tried signing up again last night, I have not yet got an email, which hopefully I get the email this time tomorrow. Or else I'll have to try for the third fucking time.
    Last edited by Doom; 02-04-2019 at 11:47 PM.

God's Gift to God

Status

Check your spam folder bud. It should be an instant email. Also double check your email was spelled right as silly as it might sound. I got my email instantly when I signed up.

Status

Check your spam folder bud. It should be an instant email. Also double check your email was spelled right as silly as it might sound. I got my email instantly when I signed up.
    Dammit you're right. For some reason I didn't see the spam folder, but I got it and my account's activated. Thanks Cox!

God's Gift to God

Status

Sweet so that's 4 out of 12. I might cut back the private league setting to one more week. There's a ton of people looking for a startup league and the max team size is 12.

So I'll give it to next Tuesday to keep it private. It doesn't mean anyone reading this will be kept out it just means others will be free to join without seeking me out. Then once we will fill we can start the draft.

Thread Information