[Speak Like A Child]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) Discussion

awesome trailer

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

At this point, if you're not excited for more of this show you might need to check your pulse.

Heel Champion

Status

Fucking loved the trailer for this show. Was late in getting into season 1 but cannot wait at all for this season. Curious what monster we have this time.

MADMIN KING

Status

Finished S1 last night, late to the party as usual but I thought this was an excellent show and now I'm really in the mood for S2 next month. I love Dustin and 11.

#FuckBarb

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

I watched this show over the course of about 2 or 3 weeks back when it came out and I watched it through an HDMI to RCA adapter on an awesome old school TV I have that has a manufacturing date of 1986 on the back sticker, and I was really feeling it. But I've been rewatching it lately on my new 4K curve and noticing a few of the show's weaknesses this time around, like just how teeny bopper it really is. Not sure they really did that great of a job capturing the 80's either, mostly just movie posters and stuff in the background, the dialogue doesn't really have an 80's feel to it it feels more like people talking to each other in 2017. Another thing I didn't notice until watching it on 4K was how much CGI effects they used, I feel like they could have used practical effects more to give off the type of vibe they were going for. I will say Steve's hair is the most 80's thing on the whole show, his hair on this show just instantly makes me hear Tears For Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" in my head whenever the dude is on screen.

It's not bad by any means, easily my favorite Netflix original but on second viewing I haven't enjoyed it as much as the first go around. Still stoked as hell for season 2.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-23-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

So I finally got around to watching this yesterday and while I thought it was solid I’m not quite sure I buy into the whole “one of the best shows ever” hype that I seem to see some people saying about it. Personally, I felt Westworld was a much better show from last year and am definitely more interested in seeing the second season of that than I am of this. That’s not to say I’m not interested in seeing this as well, it just doesn’t seem like a huge must for me like some other shows. I just want to bring up a few points on both the positive and negative sides...

Positives

- the acting is rock solid all around with particular kudos to Harbour, Brown, Ryder and Wolfhard.
    - the soundtrack is excellent and really enhances the mood of most episodes
    - I appreciated the little nods to the 80’s movies( particularly The Thing) even though I also felt like they were trying too hard at times to play lip service to fans of those movies
    - 8 episodes was the perfect length to stop the show from overstaying its welcome
    - the ending worked well in setting up another season and the trailers for that season have gotten me much more excited for it than I thought I would be

Negatives

- at the end of the day, the story was utterly predictable, from Will’s body being a fake to Brown “sacrificing” herself to eliminate the monster at the end. I realize it’s hard not to be predictable these days but a little more effort would be appreciated from time to time
    - the majority of the teen characters and even a couple of the kids are pretty standard although I understand the writers probably didn’t have the time to flesh each of them out
    - Shinobi is right above when he mentions the dialogue feeling more current than 80’s (this is coming from someone who grew up in the 80’s so I have the benefit of first hand experience)

One other thing as well, I really don’t get why people like or dislike the Barb character. I certainly can’t see why anyone would let themselves get so worked up enough to actively hate her when she’s in the show for all of 5 minutes of actual screen time. Besides, if you want to dislike any of the teenagers, you should dislike Steve’s idiotic friends since they don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves. At least Barb was trying to be a good person for the whole 5 minutes she was afforded in the show.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

Stranger Things is just Twin Peaks for people who need plot points spoon fed to them.

I still dig it tho

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Stranger Things is just for pedos with a nostalgia fetish.

-------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Stranger Things is just Twin Peaks for people who need plot points spoon fed to them.

I still dig it tho
    Twin Peaks is the bomb. So is Xfiles.

I really liked Stranger Things and i look forward to the new season.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Watched this through in full yesterday. Watched most of the Beyond Stranger Things aftershow majigger too, which I finished this afternoon.

Really enjoyable. Loved all the new additions to the cast and how the universe was expanded outside of just Hawkins and let you see more of the world outside the town, and the Upside-Down itself.

Dustin remains my favourite character; last season he reminded me of my friend's kid (to whom I am moral guardian) and was adorable, funny and smart and this season he just kept all that and added even more great stuff to his character. Gaten is a great little actor and has a very bright future ahead of him.

We got a bunch of new combinations of characters that you wouldn't expect to work like they did and we get a bunch of combinations that we know work and that's great too.

Binging through it all means that I'm more interested in picking up what I need to go ahead with the story and less bothered about concentrating on what doesn't work - but nothing stood out to me as hugely problematic in the telling of the story.

A friend of mine recently rewatched season one and felt there were a couple of holes in the plot that he hadn't noticed first time around, but my own rewatch before starting this season I had no such issues. Maybe I'm just a massive mark for it, I dunno, but I was willing to let those small things he'd picked up on go and headcanon reasons for them without feeling cheated by the Duffer's for it. A rewatch of this new season might throw up other little things like that, I don't know, but I was very happy with the show personally.

Hail To The King

Status

Spoiler:

So Dustin & Steve should be in every scene together they stole season 2. Also I am def #TeamSteve lol. I thought this season was good I really was likeing Bob to. Hopper/11 shit was good but felt she should of meet up with kids sooner. Anyone else notice Dustin's mom was guard from OITNB. Will poor Will is he now just a dismel in distress. I except Hopper to be limited next year with Hellboy binding his time.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 10-29-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I finished this up yesterday and I really liked it a lot, I enjoyed just as much as the first season.

Spoiler:

Agreed with OMB that Dustin and Steve stole the show, for a guy that started off as an antagonist in season one, he really has redeemed himself a lot. I know it started to show in the first season towards the end but this new season he really got a chance to shine. He's definitely become one of my favorite characters now along with Dustin.

Finally justice for Barb, now there needs to be justice for Mews the cat, RIP Mews. Also, what happened to Yertle the turtle? Also, that's an awesome name for a turtle.

I liked the Bob character so I was bummed with what happened to him. I also like Mad Max and felt bad for her when Mike and Eleven weren't accepting of her,
    but that was understandable. Billy served his purpose as the unlikable sociopath and played his role well, that scene with him and Mike's mom was funny.

I watched some of the Beyond Stranger Things after show and The Duffer Brothers said that there was a reason for "I'll Be Watching You" playing as the episode comes to an end with the cloud monster still looming over the school in the Upside Down. Didn't really catch that until they pointed it out, so that was a nice touch.
    Last edited by Jimmy King; 10-29-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Spoiler:

So Dustin & Steve should be in every scene together they stole season 2. Also I am def #TeamSteve lol. I thought this season was good I really was likeing Bob to. Hopper/11 shit was good but felt she should of meet up with kids sooner. Anyone else notice Dustin's mom was guard from OITNB. Will poor Will is he now just a dismel in distress. I except Hopper to be limited next year with Hellboy binding his time.
    When you say TeamSteve, do you mean as in him over Jonathan to be with Nancy, or just in general that he's awesome? I love Steve. I thought his arc in season one was excellent and appreciated how conflicted he was even more on a rewatch - he seemed to want to be the douchey, jock guy for the perceived cool points but couldn't stop himself actually being a sensitive dude and eventually apologising for being the douchey jock stereotype, which was a really nice touch. He's a complicated character and I like that.

Buuuuuuuuut... when it comes to Nancy I look at it like this; every scene where Nancy is with Steve (whether it's season one or season two) she seems smothered - she's not being herself for whatever reason and she's being led by what Steve wants and expects from her, which is often at odds with what she wants for herself. Meanwhile, her scenes with Jonathan (again, regardless of which season) she flourishes and becomes the best version of herself; she's confident and motivated and she knows how to handle things. Steve and Johnathan are both better people for knowing Nancy but Steve's holding her back whereas Jonathan is in love with the girl she wants to be and you can see that from the first scenes each pairing has together in season one and in the last scenes they have together in season two.

In general though, I love Steve and he had an especially great season this year:-

Spoiler:

His stuff after the break-up with Nancy was were he really hit the ground running I thought. Teaming him up with Dustin was fantastic and he's the world's worst best babysitter of all time. His feud with Billy was great and I liked how they kept the full on blow out between the pair until very late in the season; it looked like, for a while, they might have ended up friends - but thanks to Billy's issues with his dad and his need to assert himself as the alpha somewhere, Steve took the major brunt of that and that made sense.

Dustin's mum is great in everything, and yes, I recognised her. She's now in two of my absolute favourite shows. Excellent work from her on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King View Post
    Spoiler:

I liked the Bob character so I was bummed with what happened to him. I also like Mad Max and felt bad for her when Mike and Eleven weren't accepting of her,
    but that was understandable. Billy served his purpose as the unlikable sociopath and played his role well, that scene with him and Mike's mom was funny.

I watched some of the Beyond Stranger Things after show and The Duffer Brothers said that there was a reason for "I'll Be Watching You" playing as the episode comes to an end with the cloud monster still looming over the school in the Upside Down. Didn't really catch that until they pointed it out, so that was a nice touch.
    Spoiler:

Bob was great. I'm a bit of a mark for Sean Astin thanks to Goonies and Lord of the Rings, but I just loved him in this. Bob Newby: Superhero! That ending for him was so sad. Such a great episode for him and he made it, looked like he'd escaped... and then BOOM! Demadog food. That smile to Joyce man! Fuuuuuuck! Heart wrenching.

Max was top. I really liked her story as the potential love interest for Dustin and Lucas and I think they went in the right direction with that. I also thought that the stuff with her and Billy was great, in that horrible, poor kid, kinda way. One thing that I was wondering though; was Billy's objection to Lucas racial or was it just the idea that any kid might be hitting on her that bugged him? It felt racial to me, the wording of it. When he grabbed hold of Lucas I was about ready to jump through the TV and pull him off him, then I remembered it wasn't real and jumped through the TV would just hurt me and achieve nothing.

Mike and Eleven's issues with Max made sense but I hope that doesn't carry over into next season. It felt like Mike had warmed to her by the end of the season - which definitely had a lot to do with Eleven being back but also with Max herself being awesome in a crisis - so hopefully Eleven isn't playing the jealous girlfriend next season and she and Max bond more. Eleven having a female friend that is her own age would be nice I think.

I really like the insight's that Beyond Stranger Things gives you, not just into the process the actors and the Duffers go through during the creation of the show, but also how much everyone does or doesn't know about the motivations and the foreshadowing and all of that. It was fun seeing people who were involved in making the show coming to the realisation that certain things that seemed totally unrelated were actually connected.

Status

Finished the second season today. Bravo. That lived up to the hype. Imperfect in a few ways, but well done as a whole. Quite like the new additions to the cast. Love the evolution of Steve and Dustin and Nancy.

Couple of thoughts...

Spoiler:

I know what you mean about the love triangle, Raiz. It does seem like Nancy is trying to be someone when she's with Steve. That's not an usual dynamic for a young woman, especially given that Steve is the cool guy in school.

I didn't read Billy's objection of Max being friends with Lucas as racial. I just took it as him being very controlling of her. He clearly has a very domineering father, and that would likely leave him feeling with a lack of control in his life. So he compensates by controlling Max. He doesn't want her being friends with Lucas simply because he doesn't want her being friends with anyone.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Couple of thoughts...

Spoiler:

I didn't read Billy's objection of Max being friends with Lucas as racial.

Finished this Saturday AM but wanted to let it marinade before sharing my thoughts.

In response to The Big Papa...

Spoiler:

I think it's intentionally vague so that racial tension is implied but never actually stated, which is smart. You read into it what you will.

In criticism of the show...

Spoiler:

The only thing I didn't really like was when Steve and new guy were fist-fighting and Steve was getting his ass beat, none of those kids tried to help him. They're just standing on the sidelines and screaming like a bunch of girls. And then of course the girl is the only one to intervene. It's almost poetic. But in reality it just makes them ungrateful little fuckers who almost stood by while their friend was murdered. If one of them tried to stop him and he shoved them hard into the wall or something, that would have been one thing, but they didn't.

Very minor quibble. Everything else was A-OK. Really loved it.
    [save]

Status

Spoiler:

I CRIED LIKE A BITCH LOOK AT THE LOVE IN HIS EYES

AND THEY FINALLY GOT TO GO TO SNOWBALL /SOBBING

i didn't think I'd be so emotionally invested in a pre-teen romance but here we are

Also, Steve (and his bat with nails) was MVP this season. His face turn was awesome, and him being a big brother to Dustin was great. Speaking of Dustin, my god, he was hilarious. "Son a bitch, you're really no help at all, you know that?" popped me. Mike's dad legitimately is out of fucks to give at this point; he just does not fucking care. Also, fuck Bob I'm glad he's dead what an annoying fucking twat. The actress that played Max needs more acting lessons. In a show built on really amazing acting (especially coming from the children), she was so so bad in comparison.

ALSO shoutout to the actor who plays Will. That boy can act his ass off. Joyce Byers being her crazy ass self is so enjoyable. Winona was such perfect casting for that role, I swear.

Hopper is still my favorite adult character. He has the patience of a saint to be listening to those little shits babble about D&D and trying to apply it to real world shit (as "real world" as an upside down universe with ginormous reptiles can be).

The episode with Eleven's "sister" was awful btw. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but yeah. She was just manipulating Eleven the entire god damn time in the name of "sisterhood". Hope we never have to see those assholes ever again. One episode was more than enough.

I hope Yurtle didn't suffer the same fate as Mew Mews. #JusticeForMewMews I'm very surprised they went there (by there I mean killing a pet in such gruesome fashion).

Yep, I loved this season. Probably just as much as the first season.

tl;dr how many times can i say also idk whatever fuck yeah stranger things

MADMIN KING

Status

Spoiler:

I guess we're spoiler tagging huh

Finished this on Monday, loved it and now I've gotta wait as long as you guys for Season 3.

Dustin was my MVP for the season. He was my favourite of the kids in season 1, but this year the writers seemed to catch on him being a hit and gave him more opportunities to shine. His relationship with his new older brother Steve was a highlight of the season. Steve's face turn is completed.

The Mike/Eleven stuff was adorable and a rollercoaster all season long. I'd agree with Kayla that the full episode of Eleven with her sister was the weakest of the season. Felt like a momentum killer to put that in there as the demodogs reached the lab, imagine if this was a weekly TV show and we had to wait 14 days for them to pick things up at the lab again with that cliffhanger. Felt like a Walking Dead episode where they put everything else on hold to do an episode with just one character. It ended up feeling like a really bad version of 'This Is England' where the young outcast is taken in by the older gang of outcasts and some bad shit goes down but she grows because of it. Fuck her sister for exploiting her powers just to kill and lead her down a bad path, no better than Papa. Too much of an assumption to think Eleven is gonna meet more of #1-#10 as the series progresses?

I didn't mind Bob although it was hitting the Goonies vibe of the show a bit too hard casting him. Nice enough guy but Joyce and Hopper are destined to bone so they needed to get him out of the picture somehow. Deserved to die with his bad advice all season 'hey Will don't run, tell the shadow monster to go away, that'll work.........lol no now he's in his body dumbass.......that's ok, that's nothing a few brainteasers won't shift. His death does makes me worry that eventually one of the OG's is gonna die in future seasons and I'm not sure I'm prepared for that.

Mike's parents are an underrated part of the show. His dad is so oblivious to anything going on with his children that he doesn't even know where they are let alone they are facing life threatening situations and fighting monsters, and his mom is now besotted with 80s Zac Effron.

#JusticeForBarb. I was laughing my ass off at that KFC scene (mmmmm it's finger licking good) and the house littered with Barb pictures. I thought we were done with that girl, but maybe now they've had a proper funeral for her she won't be mentioned again.

Great choice of music this season as well. I even noticed a bit of Metallica got in there~

Hurry up Season 3.

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

Thoughts:

Jonathan is a bitch ass

Steve is the best character on the show

Billy isn't that bad really.

Bob = the real mvp

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post

Bob = the real mvp
    You’re gonna have to explain this one, Jig. Guy was an annoying twat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
    You’re gonna have to explain this one, Jig. Guy was an annoying twat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spoiler:

He was a legitimately good guy who cared about Joyce and her kids. He didn't run at the first side of weird shit, he faced it head on even though he was out of his element. It was because of him solving Wills puzzle that they were able to save Hopper and in the end he gave his life saving everyone. He was a good dude with no ulterior motive who paid the ultimate price at the end being the hero of the series.
    Last edited by Jiggy; 11-03-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information