Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Tuesday Night SmackDown/Network Draft Special Live Discussion - July 19, 2016

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Re: Tuesday Night SmackDown/Network Draft Special Live Discussion - July 19, 2016

Also Am I supposed to believe that DB wanted Mojo Fucking Rawley over Itami or Shinsuke? Really?

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Tuesday Night SmackDown/Network Draft Special Live Discussion - July 19, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo View Post
    If WWE is relying on Naomi, Bliss and Carmella to hold their weight they are sorely in trouble. Bliss is still learning, and Carmella barely has I bet has less than 50 matches under her belt and Naomi she is injured still? He's always been athletic, and I always wanted to see her get a run with a title years ago, hopefully she can get it as a heel. I thought her work when she was Sasha and Tamina she felt at home, but when she doesn't return she might be turned into a face again who knows. Yeah Bayley needs to go to SD, Bayley you can plug in Bliss in a feud and build her up from there. I'm saying that because I see Nattie/Becky feud going for a little bit longer.
    I'm pretty sure Carmellas got a lot more than 50 matches under her belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Sober View Post
    Oops, I meant enforcer.
    What kind of connection is there between Strowman and Axel? That idea came out of nowhere.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

God's Gift to God

Status

If we follow the booking pattern of the wyatts one of two things will happen:

Strowman will be traded to reform the family along with Harper when he's back.

Harper will be signed to raw and team with Strowman and become brayesque and do his own cult leader thing and eventually have a cross brand wyatt feud.

ily

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Austerio View Post
    What kind of connection is there between Strowman and Axel? That idea came out of nowhere.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
    Well my line of thinking came from totally repackaging Braun and Axel. Return Axel to his RyBaxel gimmick and have Braun be more like himself in real life and ditch the Wyatt gimmick. I watched some videos of Braun in real life before he came to WWE and something about the way he was reminded me of Axel while he was in RyBaxel.

Oh and beards.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Also Am I supposed to believe that DB wanted Mojo Fucking Rawley over Itami or Shinsuke? Really?
    I don't get it. What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Say My Name

Status

The Wyatts should refuse to obey the draft and it could be the making of them. I mean they're supposed to be a cult who will do anything for Wyatt. Why would Braun listen to the restrictions? Could be a decent storyline as well.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Ecstasy View Post
    I don't get it. What's the problem?
    He semi has a point I mean Logically it makes no sense (all the talent in the world to choose from and you choose him - seriously?) but when you break it down wrestling isn't really a logical form of entertainment as a whole so there really isn't any point in talking about how believable it is.

Say My Name

Status

Yeah they could have easily got around it by saying William Regal is able to protect four NXT acts so they can't be drafted, or something along those lines. It just makes the GMs look silly tbh.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    ...but when you break it down wrestling isn't really a logical form of entertainment as a whole so there really isn't any point in talking about how believable it is.
    WWE may not currently be a logical form of entertainment, but there is plenty of wrestling that is, and stories tend to be far more entertaining when they’re logical because then there’s nothing stupid that it takes you out of the moment and ruins your enjoyment.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

God's Gift to God

Status

I think it's great how this was supposed to represent a new Era and give fans something new and exciting. But it turned out exactly the same as everything else does. Predictable and overwhelming. They tried to make it similar to an nba or NFL Draft where "upside" picks were taken but they did nothing to even differentiate the picks. So everything just comes across as "this person was picked before this person so they're better."

They botched the nxt picks for sure. Saying the top stars not taken were protected by regal would have legitimized those wrestlers because that means they're too important for nxt to lose and legitimized the ones actually taken because they could be considered the next best, which is a compliment in comparison to the core of nxt. Idk how you can kayfabe explain how none of the nxt champions were taken. Hilarious shortsighted booking again.

Drafting basically every ongoing feud onto the same respective roster is the worst crime. Saying Owens and zayn may not ever fight again only to book them on the same show. Zayn being picked first no less. Corbin and Ziggler, cesaro and Jericho not to mention styles/cena and rollins reigns. What was the point in splitting the rosters if you were just gonna split them into the halves that are already feuding? I get that not all of these feuds will continue necessarily and that the main event feuds are relatively fresh but Christ.

Still can't get over how raw gets the cruiserweight division and then overstocked the Midcard. It's legitimately bummed me out. I guess they could call Zayn a cruiserweight but then it makes me question why Kalisto wasn't on raw. Smackdown could have used the Midcard depth to actually push all the stalled out guys. But instead they got nobody outside of the top end and essentially got one good female wrestler. If the tag titles and women's title still float then it completely changes the roster overlook. Champions being bound to a brand after losing the title and title shots sorta rotating or whatever would add a lot to the title chasing but it seems likely we're getting multiple titles across the board. If they were going exclusive I don't know how you don't give Smackdown something exclusive to, ya know, get people to actually watch.

The more I think about this the more it pisses me off. Especially since I was in the arena for the lackluster draft. Gross.

ily

Architect of BTB Shield

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Yeah they could have easily got around it by saying William Regal is able to protect four NXT acts so they can't be drafted, or something along those lines. It just makes the GMs look silly tbh.
    That's what I kept thinking the whole time. I'd have somewhat liked a better explanation for one of the GMs not drafting NXT acts like Austin Aries, Shinsuke Nakamura, Bayley, Asuka, Hideo Itami or Samoa Joe. Bayley could be easily explained as being signed before the draft to one brand or the other if she's the mystery partner of Sasha Banks at Battleground like everyone expects. Joe and Asuka could be explained by saying that the NXT Champions can't be drafted, which would also explain The Revival. Hell, the only person to even jokingly offer up an explanation as to why he's not drafted is Austin Aries via Twitter. But you're telling me from a Kayfabe perspective that someone actually picks Mojo Rawley over Shinsuke Nakamura with no explanation? I think to try to save face they need to offer up some sort of explanation like that and say that the Supplemental Draft was done randomly. No offense to Mojo Rawley, but everyone and their mother can tell Shinsuke's a much better choice.
    My BTB: 2013-The NXT Generation

[IMG]http://***************/46806_s.gif[/IMG]

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Bayley won't be the mystery partner. Nia Jax will.

Architect of BTB Shield

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Bayley won't be the mystery partner. Nia Jax will.
    Actually, I think they're gonna save Nia Jax for after Sasha and Charlotte's feud. If Sasha wins the title at SummerSlam, I could see her retaining in the rematch and then them putting Jax first in line for a shot. Or, they'll just put the threat of Jax out there after Sasha retains and have Sasha defend the title for a while against different challengers while building Jax up to be even more of a threat towards the title.
    My BTB: 2013-The NXT Generation

[IMG]http://***************/46806_s.gif[/IMG]

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

I hope they don't go back to that Raw guest host gimmick... apart from Shaq, Snoop and Jeremy Piven.... they never really had any good guest hosts.... literally, the reason why I always watched Smackdown during the initial brand split...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    He semi has a point I mean Logically it makes no sense (all the talent in the world to choose from and you choose him - seriously?) but when you break it down wrestling isn't really a logical form of entertainment as a whole so there really isn't any point in talking about how believable it is.

Well, I always treat wrestling like TV shows - you have to sort of believe in the universe that surrounds it to take it seriously. It's not about judging it's actual believability to me but how believable it is in the set rules of the universe. It's just illogical in kayfabe for them to not draft the likes of Nakamura, Aries, Asuka, Bayley etc.

Also, wrestling can be a logical form of entertainment, it just depends on how it is presented. WWE present their wrestling as if most matches mean sweet fuck all so it's hard to really care about the wrestling, and the storylines are borderline awful alot of the time nowadays so it's hard to get invested there. It's difficult to explain but WWE would benefit so much more if they made their matches mean alot more and started booking things correctly. It really only seems to be the main roster that suffers from this stuff - NXT has its squash matches but also has pretty logical booking for the most part. I guess it's to do with how WWE presents itself to be more soap operatic rather than an actual 'contest' - it's incredibly difficult to appeal to the entirety of the wrestling fanbase. Sometimes I feel like there's too much need for a swerve or whatever. Predictable booking isn't always a bad thing. It's bad when it's illogical yet something you know is going to happen.

Honestly, I was excited for the draft because I thought that maybe we'd see an increase in match length and guys being showcased but doesn't seem like that will happen. Genuinely would not mind seeing multiple 15-20 mins+ matches from certain people on a weekly basis. Some wrestlers really need time in the ring to show themselves off rather than condensing their style. An example to this - I genuinely feel like the divas revolution or whatever has fallen flat due to them not being given time. If I was a non NXT viewer, i'd certainly view the NXT callups as improvements... but not huge massive improvements. They've had a few decent matches here and there but haven't set the world on fire really and it's quite disappointing. I'd much rather they just stayed on NXT and lit that shit up continuously. Not a fan of Cruiserweights on RAW as they'll quickly become an afterthought imo but i'd hope not. Hopes aren't high and i think the draft may have been the last thing to keep me interested in WWE.

Nia could be Banks' tag partner - would make some good sense in terms of her being intimidating as fuck and a potential enforcer. It doesn't make sense though in terms of alignment. Sasha is basically face and Jax is a heel. Feel like they'd have announced it/revealed it by now too. They're going to reveal it at the PPV and I doubt Jax is going to get a good reaction... Bayley on the other hand... definitely. People will be disappointed she wasn't drafted and whatnot and then boom, she comes out and everyone's happy, place is rocking. Sasha pins Charlotte in the match and gets her Summerslam title shot. Easy days. Smackdown females are so fucked if Bayley goes to Raw though.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 07-22-2016 at 02:18 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Smackdown females are fucked regardless, even if Bayley ends up on Smackdown. They'd still only have like 5, right?

They should have had the crusierweights on one show and the women on the other. So dumb.

Status

Well, I assume that Nikki Bella joins SD once she comes back due to Cena. Bayley joining wouldn't make them so bad. Asuka also should be SmackDown bound once she gets the inevitable call up. There's Emma too. Vital that at least three of the four names mentioned are on SD because Becky isn't going to be good enough to carry the smackdown side of things just yet. She should definitely be the main woman though.

Agreed about the cruiserweights being on one show and women on the other. Should have had cruiserweights on Smackdown and females on Raw.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 07-22-2016 at 03:14 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status

Wanting a logical draft where the GM's make sensible and believable decisions, but then wanting things like all the women on one show and all the cruiserweights on another sounds like a contradiction to my ears. Why would one GM just allow his opponent to draft all the women because they claimed Charlotte first, giving his opponent's show something to offer the audience that they can't, cutting off the demographic that like women's wrestling and gives the critics the chance to call one of the brands sexist because it's a 100% male roster. Same with Crusierweights, just because Steph's called dibs on a crusierweight division doesn't mean Shane and Bryan are dumb for picking guys like Kalisto. If anything, the picks that don't quite fit your brand's MO can be used as bargaining chips in trade offer to get a wrestler that suits your show more.

On the NXT picks, I think there is an slight argument to be made that the likes of Nia Jax, Bliss and Carmella being picked over Nakamura, Joe and Aries isn't so illogical because the women's roster is quite shallow on both brands and the easiest way to expand the depth of the division was to utilize those NXT picks to gain more female wrestlers rather than a male upper midcarder who you wouldn't really miss (Raw wouldn't). The illogical part comes in Jax, Bliss and Carmella being picked but Bayley getting overlooked again, there's no kayfabe explanation for that which makes sense, only real life reasons. I wouldn't of been keen on them fudging up some shite explanation that the champions and other top NXT talent weren't available to draft because then you're taking the shine off the talent that did get picked. 'nah you can't have the grade A talent, he's the rejects Regal doesn't want anymore'. Wow way to make those guys seem special.

Last week was the 3rd anniversary of the WWE Performance Center and I wouldn't be surprised if the real reasons for the unusual NXT picks turned out to be Triple H justifying the cost to the board and shareholders by saying look how many guys we've trained up and brought through to the main roster with different backgrounds! Gable and Jordan (amateur wrestling), Bliss (gymnastics and bodybuilding), Carmella (cheerleading), Jax (college basketball and model), Mojo (ex-American footballer) compared to just the one ready made indie guy in Balor. Goes hand in hand with the post mania call ups that were majority performance center trainees like Enzo and Cass and Corbin. I think that's a big part of the decision as well as HHH wanting the top stars on his touring brand.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Wanting a logical draft where the GM's make sensible and believable decisions, but then wanting things like all the women on one show and all the cruiserweights on another sounds like a contradiction to my ears. Why would one GM just allow his opponent to draft all the women because they claimed Charlotte first, giving his opponent's show something to offer the audience that they can't, cutting off the demographic that like women's wrestling and gives the critics the chance to call one of the brands sexist because it's a 100% male roster.
    It would have been really easy to explain the Cruiserweight and Women's division being up for grabs as individual units in the draft as they both have their own 'exclusive' Championship class, while Intercontinental and United States titles are floating championships.

Then have Stephanie draft the Women and look like she's responsible for giving Women's wrestling a highlight spot on Raw, because that's already her m.o., and give Daniel Bryan the next choice in drafting the Cruiserweight division, which makes sense because he's a cruiserweight.

The only foreseen confusion I can think of is whether or not people are automatically in the cruiserweight division or if they elect to be ("where does Kalisto go?"). Otherwise, it writes itself, really.

EDIT: And we know it writes itself because if we flip it, so that Stephanie steals the cruiserweights from Bryan but he happily takes the Women's Division, it still works really well, if not more so.
    Last edited by The Natural; 07-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread Information