Thread: Syfy Greenlights Pilot for Superman Prequel Series Krypton

Status
      Country                    United States

Syfy Greenlights Pilot for Superman Prequel Series Krypton

Syfy greenlights pilot for Superman prequel series Krypton

Syfy today announced it has greenlit a pilot for Krypton, the Superman prequel series set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet. Krypton will follow Superman’s grandfather — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

“Krypton is one of the most iconic stories in the comic book universe,” said Bill McGoldrick, Executive Vice President, Scripted Content, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “In the talented hands of David S. Goyer and the DC Entertainment/Warner Horizon Television team, this exciting Syfy project will take viewers back to Superman’s home to show how the timeless legend began.”

Krypton will be executive produced by David S. Goyer (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, The Dark Knight trilogy) through his Phantom Four banner. Damian Kindler (Sleepy Hollow) will serve as executive producer/showrunner; Colm McCarthy (She Who Brings Gifts, Peaky Blinders) is set to direct and co-executive produce the pilot. The pilot teleplay and story is written by David S. Goyer & Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles). Krypton will be produced by Warner Horizon Television and is based on characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, published by DC Comics.

In the late 1980s, John Byrne scripted a comic book miniseries called “The World of Krypton.” It introduced a version of Kal-El’s paternal grandfather named Seyg-El (named for Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel). There’s no word yet on whether or not the new series will keep that name, however.
    Man I'm not totally sold on this, but it's an interesting concept. Anyone who is familiar with the comics. How is the comic series? Seems well liked.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Re: Syfy Greenlights Pilot for Superman Prequel Series Krypton

I've not read the comics but I'll give it a go. I assume this is getting the go ahead because of how big a success Gotham has been...

At this point I'm wondering why DC would be looking at putting out shows like this that aren't connected to the Berlanti shows. This, Gotham and Lucifer might all be utterly fantastic (can't say for certain on any but Lucifer, which I enjoyed thoroughly) but even if you don't play on having the shows cross-over in big ways it's just cool to world build and it opens up the possibility of interactions between characters you already love with the cast of a new show. Given the concept of this show that's not that big of a deal to be fair but if Supergirl continues planting seeds of Superman like Arrow did with Ra's al Ghul then we could end up with two shows on TV with a version of Kal El that are completely unrelated, which could cause confusion...

Then again, DC have established the multiverse in Flash and Supergirl too...

I'll shut up now.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'm so uninterested in this. I just can't fathom a show about Superman's grandfather being all that interested. If they forget about the DC ties and just make this an awesome scifi space opera/western-ish thing then I can see myself getting involved. But the tie-in to Superman isn't interesting for me as much as the idea of a show about an alien world with obvious political intrigue. DC has so much awesome contemporary material, not sure what the need is to dip into the past with unrelated stuff. Would've rathered see Titans come to fruition. Celebrity teen superheroes is something I would've been sold in.

Status

Here's the second season trailer.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah I've talked about Krypton in other Threads from Season 1 trying to get people to watch it, sucks I didn't see this Thread sooner. I really liked Season 1 and what they are giving us in Season 2 and with the Cherry on top with Lobo too I need this now.

I'm cool. I think

Status

I've been wondering whether to watch this or not because I'm so behind on every other superhero tv show right now, but Emmett as Lobo might be the thing that tips the scales for me because I really like that actor.
    " I have this weird self-esteem issue where I hate myself but still think I’m better than everyone else."

Heel Champion

Status

Did watch season 1 and thought it was good. So I'm defo gonna check out season 2. Can't wait for Lobo

Status

Here's a lobo trailer.

On Vacation

Status

I'm really shocked at what they gave us in Episode 1 of this new Season to be honest. I can't believe they off'd Brainiac and we didn't even see it on Screen them fighting which is a huge bummer. I don't know how Seg would be able to defeat him, even with both of them tired and hungry from being in The Phantom Zone for 6 Months in our time. Zod is clearly creating his own Empire from Star Wars and if you don't follow the rules willingly you're going to be mentally and physically tortured to make you fall in line. Hopefully Lyta wakes up and understands your Son with Seg doesn't have any of his good qualities and helps end this tyranny, because it could go bad for her as Seg saw in a possible future event.

I'm pissed at Lyta in this Episode for sure, she kills Nyssa's Father with no remorse at all to end this rebellion that is being created. Lyta of all people should know how it feels to not know who you are, and damn she completely forgot about that in 6 Months. Nyssa is one tough lady like Lyta is in her own right, she isn't going to fall in line..SHE'll DIE BEFORE THAT HAPPENS! It was a real awwwh moment between Adam and Seg who haven't seen each other in Months and thinking the other was dead and that moment was killed off with Lobo knocking both guys out and being the Lobo I need making jokes as they were both passed out. A crazy start to the Show and I'm all for what is to come.

On Vacation

Status

I'm really shocked at what they gave us in Episode 1 of this new Season to be honest. I can't believe they off'd Brainiac and we didn't even see it on Screen them fighting which is a huge bummer. I don't know how Seg would be able to defeat him, even with both of them tired and hungry from being in The Phantom Zone for 6 Months in our time. Zod is clearly creating his own Empire from Star Wars and if you don't follow the rules willingly you're going to be mentally and physically tortured to make you fall in line. Hopefully Lyta wakes up and understands your Son with Seg doesn't have any of his good qualities and helps end this tyranny, because it could go bad for her as Seg saw in a possible future event.

I'm pissed at Lyta in this Episode for sure, she kills Nyssa's Father with no remorse at all to end this rebellion that is being created. Lyta of all people should know how it feels to not know who you are, and damn she completely forgot about that in 6 Months. Nyssa is one tough lady like Lyta is in her own right, she isn't going to fall in line..SHE'll DIE BEFORE THAT HAPPENS! It was a real awwwh moment between Adam and Seg who haven't seen each other in Months and thinking the other was dead and that moment was killed off with Lobo knocking both guys out and being the Lobo I need making jokes as they were both passed out. A crazy start to the Show and I'm all for what is to come.

Status

This series has been cancelled, and the Lobo spinoff is no longer in development.

They are trying to find another home for this.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    This series has been cancelled, and the Lobo spinoff is no longer in development.

They are trying to find another home for this.
    Yeah I heard the horrible news the other day. Krypton Season 2 to me was even better than Season 1 with all it's Characters getting better while keeping me interested throughout on what was going to happen next. The last two Episodes were beautifully done while setting up the next Season if they find a new home. This isn't the first Show this Year Sci-Fi decided to not have come back Deadly Class is another. I though that Show was one of the best of the Year based off the Comic, and the people in charge there are clearly fools and don't know their audience. They would rather kick these Shows off the air, but rather have more Sharknado like programming give me a break. I hope this Show finds a new home like Deadly Class too good a Show just to have leave into the darkness.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Yeah I heard the horrible news the other day. Krypton Season 2 to me was even better than Season 1 with all it's Characters getting better while keeping me interested throughout on what was going to happen next. The last two Episodes were beautifully done while setting up the next Season if they find a new home. This isn't the first Show this Year Sci-Fi decided to not have come back Deadly Class is another. I though that Show was one of the best of the Year based off the Comic, and the people in charge there are clearly fools and don't know their audience. They would rather kick these Shows off the air, but rather have more Sharknado like programming give me a break. I hope this Show finds a new home like Deadly Class too good a Show just to have leave into the darkness.
    Quite the opposite of fools, regardless of your personal feelings on the matter. The last Sharknado movie (which is the last one, according to the channel) had around 1.7 million viewers. The largest viewing numbers for an episode of Krypton's second season? 487,000. I submit that it would be much more foolish to keep dumping money into a program that garners less than half a million eyes on it every week.

I think this is a really good thing and perhaps a sign that the industry in general is starting to realize that mindlessly firing out as much content as possible can have its drawbacks.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Quite the opposite of fools, regardless of your personal feelings on the matter. The last Sharknado movie (which is the last one, according to the channel) had around 1.7 million viewers. The largest viewing numbers for an episode of Krypton's second season? 487,000. I submit that it would be much more foolish to keep dumping money into a program that garners less than half a million eyes on it every week.

I think this is a really good thing and perhaps a sign that the industry in general is starting to realize that mindlessly firing out as much content as possible can have its drawbacks.
    Well how can a Program and an Audience grow when you treat it like the Red Headed Step Child? I see more of that type of program rather than promoting something new and fresh in Krypton. Do you have the numbers for Deadly Class because that would be interesting to know those numbers as well. Yes we know it carries viewers, but to me it compare it to a fart. You let it out and it's forgotten about in my opinion. We will see if Sci-Fi was wrong in this decision, would hope if worse comes to worse DC Universe Streaming Service scoops it up and saves the Show.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Syfy Greenlights Pilot for Superman Prequel Series Krypton

I believe an argument could be made that they didn’t treat the show poorly if they actually spent money producing the pilot, ordering it to series, promoting it and selling it to potential advertisers. Some shows just don’t catch on, regardless of how good they may be.

There was a ridiculously good show on FOX back in 1996 called Profit that was critically acclaimed from all sides and basically universally praised by anyone who saw it. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough people (138th out of 160 for 1996) so FOX canned it after 8 episodes. It’s too bad to be sure, but TV is a big business and you can’t just throw more money at things that aren’t going to give you any kind of return.

As for Deadly Class, it’s pilot episode only did 355,000 viewers. It’s highest eyes was around 516,000, but then it steadily declined and averaged out at 396,000 for the year. I can’t speak to its quality, but those numbers really suck. No executive that wants to keep their job could possibly justify keeping something like that on the air.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

On Vacation

Status

We'll agree there Krypton on this Channel didn't work out even though the things going on during this Show fits perfectly with it's name. Crazy Deadly Class had those numbers low if you're looking at it from the outside, but it was their first Season and it was something Cult readers like myself knew about so another Season might of been a better gauge to keep them on or not.

Thread Information