Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Final Fantasy VII Remake

I've been banging on about this all day so I thought I'd make a thread

So 18 years after it's initial release and 3 generations of Playstation later, Final Fantasy VII is to be remade for the Playstation 4 (at first, with Xbone and PC likely to follow). Square Enix after years of milking this series with spin offs, movies, PC ports, PS3 ports etc etc, have finally given in to PEOPLE POWER and will be making a next gen version of one of the most iconic games of the 90s. So far all that's been announced from E3 is that a remake is happening, it's PS4 first, and that more details about the game will be out in the winter. Not a lot to go on, and knowing how long these games take to be developed this could be a long fucking wait; 2017 will be the 20th anniversary of the game, so maybe that's a decent guess.

I'm a mark for the FF series, and 7 was always my favourite even though although titles were stronger, so I am super hyped by this announcement and will be keeping this thread updated whenever I hear developments on the game. Thought the trailer was quality even though it was hinting largely at a sequel more than a full remake until the final shot.

Ole!

Status

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake

I've never gotten into the Final Fantasy games so personally not thrilled with this, i'll check it out but it won't be high on my list after the games announced at E3

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

This will be my first entry into an older Final Fantasy game so I look forward to trying it out a decade from now.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    United States

Awesome! I may actually get back into play video games again when this comes out. I really have been wanting to purchase an old PSONE so I could play my old games again.

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

I've wanted this for so long, only now im too excited about 15 to care as much as I would have when they were shoving the lightning trilogy down our throats.

Still pretty happy about this though.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Awesome news. Ive not long finished replaying the original, one of the only games I can happily go back and replay from time to time. New gen graphics will be sweet

HOSS MOD

Status

Am I the only one who's even remotely concerned about this?

Final Fantasy VII was an important part of my gaming life as it was what really got me into RPGs to begin with. And while I find it a touch overrated and has been WAY overexposed, it is still a classic in the series that is responsible for the big RPG rush to Playstation.

But we also have to keep in mind the recent trend Square Enix has been on with their flagship franchise, namely their propensity for trying to reinvent the wheel with gameplay mechanics. So forgive me if I'm a bit hesitant to jump on the "OMG FFVII REMAKE SO AWESOME MUST HAVE" bandwagon. I'll be more hyped once more details come out as to how it plays.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Am I the only one who's even remotely concerned about this?
    No sir, you are not the only person concerned about this. I've seen several individuals post their concerns on Facebook about it. However, I am not one of them! I'm all for this baby!

Final Fantasy VII was an important part of my gaming life as it was what really got me into RPGs to begin with. And while I find it a touch overrated and has been WAY overexposed, it is still a classic in the series that is responsible for the big RPG rush to Playstation.
    The entire Final Fantasy Franchise (Up until VIII) was important to my gaming life as well. It was actually, Final Fantasy IV (Then released in America as II) that got me into the series (but it was Zelda that got me into RPGs). The remake of IV (and the sequel to IV) was certainly a great move by the franchise, so I won't knock the remake of VII too much. I just wish VI would get a remake too.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashcraft from Kotaku
    Final Fantasy VII originally came out in 1997, and now in 2015, a full-remake has been announced. Time marches on! And from the sound of it, so will Final Fantasy VII.

These days, HD remakes are pretty common! They usually are the same games, but with spiffy new graphics and, often, optional and updated controls. The big question is whether or not this is a straight-up remake. From what Square Enix’s Tetsuya Nomura tells Famitsu and Dengeki Online, it’s not.“I can’t get go into details,” Nomura said, “but this is not a simple remake. Let’s say for argument’s sake that we only pretty up the graphics for current gen hardware, I don’t think that would surpass the original version.”

(Note: Here Nomura actually said “next gen hardware,” but he is referring to the current gen.)

It seems that if the game only featured better graphics, then the difference between this remake and the upscaled port would merely be cosmetic.

“The original version is a game that came out in 1997, and if you look at it today, you can feel how dated the graphics and the game system are,” Nomura told Famitsu. “However, that’s also part of Final Fantasy VII.” Nomura added that even today, the game continues to get support and that is unlikely to change.

However, it sounds like like the remake will feature evolved gameplay. Again, here’s Nomura:

“We haven’t shown any gameplay yet, but since we’re updating them quite a bit, please look forward to that,” Nomura told Dengeki Online. (Note: The word Nomura used, 進化 or “shinka,” can also mean “evolution” or “progress.” He didn’t say 変化 or “henka,” which means “change” or “variation.”)

For a title like this, even if you only redo the graphics, I don’t think you get something that’s exciting.”
    So, what does that mean?

“Since we now formally revealed Kazushige Nojima’s name for the scenario, there will be more plot devices in the story, so I think you can also look forward to that.”

Ah, perhaps maybe they’ll be adding to the story, fleshing certain parts out or adding more backstory? That I can see making this more than a simple high-def remake with pretty graphics. I hope this doesn’t mean certain parts of the original story, however, will be written out...

“So,” Nomura told Famitsu, “if you are going to do a full remake, you have to take a different approach and make something that suits the times.”

According to Nomura, Square Enix is planning to reveal more about this remake later this winter—at the very least, the game’s formal title. So, yes, yes, look forward to that, too. Expect it.
    Since changes are an obvious concerns, here's a bit on those possible changes. Being that I've never played FF7, this will be my first experience and I won't mind if they do change up the gameplay elements and turn this into a more action based system though I know a lot of old school fans probably will. I think they'll tip toe to not anger too many people while also approaching a newer generation of prospective FF fans.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Most people who hate the XIII entries in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series mostly hate them for either linearity or the battle system. Or they dont enjoy the story - having completed XIII and XIII-2, I thought the story was really good and emotional. Definitely good.

IVs sequel, The After Years was a decent game but I thought it wasnt that good in terms of story and bosses. Rydia ftw tho.

7 should have the same battle system as Crisis Core, that would be amazing. Even Type 0s battle system would work. If they can polish 15s system, that would be a great fit too.

BROTHER

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series...but I'm too busy wasting my life on 14 and will be wasting my life with 15 once it comes out. Also I'm of the uber hipster opinion that 7 was vastly overrated. VI is so much of a better game.

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series...but I'm too busy wasting my life on 14 and will be wasting my life with 15 once it comes out. Also I'm of the uber hipster opinion that 7 was vastly overrated. VI is so much of a better game.
    VIII was the best.

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    VIII was the best.
    No. I love 8 more than most people but the game clearly had it's issues. You could literally become invincible if you knew what your doing...and even the story was terrible once you stop and think what's going on.

Status

You can make any case for just about any of the main numbered games to have been the best in the series. Heck even Type 0 is up there and I still am not quite sure what the fuck is going on in that game.

I'd say that 8 suffered from a meh story, the magic system sucked and that fucking card game. 7 had a decent story and the moment to go along with it, the battle system was near perfect in all honesty too although yuffie was a useless character as well as cait sith. Eight also had its useless character in Selphie. But VI blows them out of the water when it comes to useless characters.

I find that 7 and 10 are probably the best. I've explained why I liked 7 but 10 also had an amazing story (quite possibly the best) and also fit the series' theme of challenging fate very well. It was a great game. I find that 8, 6, 9 are just a notch below with 4 in the mix too. The rest of the FFs, to me, are forgettable although I'd still play them. I couldn't hack playing 12. I almost treat 13 as if its a different series altogether because of the amount of games the series and the FNC series has.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I wasn't expecting them to keep 7 exactly as it is just with modern day graphics and voice acting. I can't see them going with an ATB system for battles, it'll be more like what I've seen from the FF15 demos. Then it comes down to what they change about the storyline, 7 is a pretty big game so they might cut some non-essential stuff out of the game and add some new side quests or w/e

If I don't get the Don Corneo stuff in HD I'll rage though.

Internet Favorite

Status

I actually would love the ATB system but I'm old school and expect they would change it for the new generation of players...Now if I did something like 15's battle system I think that would be pretty sweet and would make me more interested in playing the game.

Status

I think they will actually expand and add more rather than cut anything.

As far as ATB goes... I don't think we will see it either. I would love it if they gave it the same battle system as FFX though.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

WHAAAAAAAAAT??? I LOVE VIII's story, from start to finish. I can't co-sign on that.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    WHAAAAAAAAAT??? I LOVE VIII's story, from start to finish. I can't co-sign on that.

fair enough man, just felt the story was weak at times. I would say it was moreso in disc 3 that it started to feel a bit weak. The actual content of the story was okay - it was final fantasyesque and it was strong but I feel like it was handled improperly and could have been done better compared to other games.

As I said i'd put 8 just a notch below 7 and 10.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Weird Bitch Energy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    If I don't get the Don Corneo stuff in HD I'll rage though.

Final Fantasy 7 director says “Please look forward” to cross-dressing Cloud in the gritty remake

Tetsuya Nomura, character designer on the original Final Fantasy 7, assures us that the remake won’t lose the more lighthearted elements in its HD overhaul.

The Final Fantasy 7 remake was announced at Sony’s press conference while the trailer was revealed at Square Enix’s show.
    It all looks very dark and serious – as indicated by the gravelly voice throughout – but in an interview with Eurogamer, director Tetsuya Nomura indicated that the sillier parts of the game wouldn’t be scrubbed out.

When asked whether we would still see Cloud donning a dress, he said “Please look forward to it.”

Talking about the remake, Nomura revealed that the it was already underway when the Final Fantasy 7 port was announced. “When we announced the HD port, the PC port on the PS4, we weren’t sure when we wanted to announce the remake. The production was underway then, so there’s no real connection between the timing of the two FF7s coming to PS4. We’ve announced several different titles coming to the PlayStation 4 like World of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts 3.”

He also hopes that the remake will give Japanese gamers a nudge over to PS4, as sales of the new generation of consoles have been low. “There’s more and more titles being introduced for the platform, and we’re hoping that announcing the remake of Final Fantasy 7, it’ll give a boost to people wanting to buy this current generation of console. If we announced the remake after all those titles have been sold, it wouldn’t have created such an impact, so that’s why we decided on this timing. We wanted to reassure players that PlayStation 4 is coming out with great titles including Final Fantasy 7. That’s why we decided to announce the remake.”

The Final Fantasy 7 remake is coming first to PS4. A release date has yet to be confirmed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information