Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163 LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 3242

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    And yet in real life...
    Rather than poke fun at him, I'll say that in real life, Jannetty seems like a greatly troubled man that needs help before a tragedy occurs.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Why is Bob Backlund your favorite wrestler of all-time? If Bob Backlund were running for office would you vote for him?

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

You sorta asked for this one

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    WWE's mistake was forcing Cena and Rock to be partners when something like a Team Rock vs Team Cena could have still protected everything for Wrestlemania while also making this tune-up match make a lot more sense.
    I can mentally book Rock and Cena on the same team, but not opposites. So, how do we get there Jimbo, and how does the rest of the show look as a result?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Why is Bob Backlund your favorite wrestler of all-time? If Bob Backlund were running for office would you vote for him?
    I've never been overly into Backlund. Especially for the WWE, the guy just didn't have much of a personality when even during the Vince Sr days, the top guy always had a huge personality. Workrate wise, he was okay, but I find his peak years to be a little overrated. I'm a big fan of his heel turn in 1994 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I can mentally book Rock and Cena on the same team, but not opposites. So, how do we get there Jimbo, and how does the rest of the show look as a result?
    Survivor Series 2011

Dolph Ziggler (c) v Zack Ryder - WWE US Title

Mark Henry (c) vs The Big Show - World Heavyweight Title

Team Sin Cara (Sin Cara, Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Ted DiBiase Jr) vs Team Hunico (Hunico, Wade Barrett, Jack Swagger, Jinder Mahal, and Primo w/Epico)

Alberto Del Rio (c) vs CM Punk - WWE World Title

Team Beth Phoenix (Beth Phoenix, Natayla, The Bella Twins, and Maxine) vs Team Eve (Eve, Kelly Kelly, AJ Lee, Kaitlyn, and Alicia Fox)

Team Rock vs Team Cena

To form his team, The Rock recruited men that knew John Cena and more importantly - knew how to beat Cena. His first two recruits were babyfaces Randy Orton and Sheamus. From there, The Miz lobbied to get a spot on the team with The Rock reluctantly agreeing since Miz is technically a former WWE champion that totally defeated Cena all by himself at Wrestlemania 27. Once Rock agreed to allow Miz on his team, Miz sorta volunteered R-Truth to join arguing that Awesome Truth had run rampage over the WWE for months and with how close friends Cena and Truth used to be, Truth offers additional insight into Cena's mindset that Cena's past rivals can't offer.

Cena's picks were mostly to counteract Rock's. Surprisingly, the first man Cena recruited was Cody Rhodes. With Cody upset over Orton defeating him at both Vengeance and in a street fight on Smackdown, Cena sees that as a chance to take someone who is desperate to get some revenge on Orton while also further tempting Cody by suggesting that this could be Cody's big night to pin someone like The Rock. Christian ends up lobbying for a spot in this 'Biggest Survivor Series match ever~!' match by bringing up everything Cena told Rhodes and reminding Cena that all of that applies to himself as well. Besides, Christian is still salty over Rock coming up with the CLB nickname years ago. Cena can reluctantly agree. After The Miz is added to Team Rock, Cena can approach Alex Riley. Cena can boost Riley up, suggesting that this can be Riley's way to get back at Miz for everything he did to him earlier in the year to try and hold Riley back. Besides, gosh darn it, Cena sees potential in Riley and Riley reminds Cena of Cena's younger self. Lastly, with Awesome Truth fully on board with Team Rock, Triple H approaches Cena to get added to the team, needing revenge for Awesome Truth costing him his office job. Obviously, Cena is cool with having a major star like Hunter on his team.

An important detail is that Christian, in real life, sustained an injury prior to Survivor Series. This can still occur with the idea being that you won't know if Christian can wrestle or not until the PPV. It's announced in the middle of the show that Christian hasn't been cleared to wrestle. Then during the women's elimination match, Booker T is mysteriously called away from commentary. Main event time and John Cena names Booker T as Christian's surprise replacement. This serves the purpose of not only finding a replacement for Christian, but after some miscommunication causes Booker to accidentally cause Cody to be eliminated, gives Rhodes reason to go after Booker to set up their TLC 2011 match.

Obviously, since this is the WWE, it has to come down to The Rock and Randy Orton vs Triple H with Cena being eliminated earlier by being counted out when Awesome Truth screwed him over. Hunter can be eliminated after sustaining a top rope RKO, Kevin Nash running in to knock him out with a sledgehammer shot to add heat to their TLC match, and lastly a People's Elbow...and it later coming out that Hunter worked the match with the flu and a 105 degree fever.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Hey, bro. How is it going? Will there be Fright Fest this year and when is the best time to start with the requests?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

If you were friends with Sting, how would you turn on him?

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    If you were friends with Sting, how would you turn on him?
    See, it's not a specific turn I'd want to use on Sting. Instead, I'd want to see how far I could push it in terms of turning heel on him X amount of times within a time period of a year or so. Keep screwing him over and then trying to make up with him. I'll come up with a list so long (That even Chris Jericho will be impressed) worth of excuses for why I regretted turning on Sting the prior time when trying to get him to trust me again. If need be, I'll keep bringing additional Little Stingers with me to beg Sting's forgiveness to further exploit Sting's naivety.

OH SHIT! Take that same concept and run it with a buddy so that it's a contest between us. Who can turn heel on Sting the most.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    OH SHIT! Take that same concept and run it with a buddy so that it's a contest between us. Who can turn heel on Sting the most.
    Haha, I love it. My new headcanon is that Luger and Flair had this same deal.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

Rank the top five WWE authority figures based on how well they actually did the job, in your estimation.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Quote Originally Posted by Silky B Badd View Post
    Rank the top five WWE authority figures based on how well they actually did the job, in your estimation.
    I know that Gorilla Monsoon and his questionable handling of Steve Austin antics is what led to this question, the phrasing of this question actually has me thinking he likely was one of the best ever.

Starting in the Attitude Era, it became such a stable on WWE TV to set up matches earlier in the shows in which they'd air. What that means is so many authority figures travelled to the taping of a new show without fully planning out their show, often times not even having a main event in mind. Considering booking matches for a show is one of the most basic responsibilities of an authority figure, how can I name a singe authority figure within the last twenty five years as being one of the best when they failed one of their most basic requirements?

Although some old school fans love to bash Jack Tunney and how incompetent he was, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single TV show from his time when a match, especially main event, was booked after the show was already ongoing.

So rather than give unfair credit to WWE authority figures that clearly didn't do their job well, I'm going to throw some love towards whoever was the authority figure for JCP because not only did they have their TV shows fully booked, but they even had stand-by matches (!!!) should the scheduled matches end earlier than expected. That is some top notch leadership!

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

hey jim, bff, dearest friend of mine. seven popped up on my youtube page for some reason. if wcw hired you to book dustin rhodes as seven pre-any vignettes being released, you just had to work on the visual of white face-painted dustin runnels called seven, and you wanted to turn this stud into a star befitting his talent (while sticking to his gimmicky shtick) because hes actually your all-time favorite wrestler, how would you do it?

Indy Talent

Status

Alright, Fuji is nowhere to be seen, so I will refer my question to you, Jim. What are your favourite movies from a cinematography standpoint, bro? Any genre included.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Hey Jim- been searching high and low for some of the old MSG house shows from 85-89. some are on youtube but a few of the ones I'm looking for aren't there. What's the best way to watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    hey jim, bff, dearest friend of mine. seven popped up on my youtube page for some reason. if wcw hired you to book dustin rhodes as seven pre-any vignettes being released, you just had to work on the visual of white face-painted dustin runnels called seven, and you wanted to turn this stud into a star befitting his talent (while sticking to his gimmicky shtick) because hes actually your all-time favorite wrestler, how would you do it?
    Benefitting his 1999 talent? Well, that makes this a lot easier. Seven becomes the PHANTOM OF SATURDAY NIGHT~! Much like Sting in 1997, Seven will be shown watching the action from up in the stands every WCW Saturday Night. Over time, Seven begins to interfere focusing on heels whenever they attempt to cheat. This builds to the likes of Lenny Lane, Disorderly Conduct, Kendall Windham, and others searching all over through the building trying to find the Phantom. After Scott Hall trashes the WCW TV Title, Seven rescues it from the trash can, citing that the title was thrown away just as he had been previously. The TV Title becomes Seven's beloved while all of the lowcard heels try stealing it from him.

Quote Originally Posted by zona520 View Post
    Hey Jim- been searching high and low for some of the old MSG house shows from 85-89. some are on youtube but a few of the ones I'm looking for aren't there. What's the best way to watch?
    XWT Classics.

Hail To The King

Status

Hey Jim I got 2 Questions for you here.

1. What do you considered the best match for each one of Mick Foley's personas?

2. What do you think would of happen if Austin stays with ECW back in the day and has more then one match do you see him doing a similar storyline with Pillman as they did in WWF at the time what would of been the direction he went and the feuds? I tend to think Austin/Raven Austin/Douglas Austin/Sabu been good maybe Austin/Benoit.
    Austin/Tazz
    ​Sazh Katzroy Father, Friend, Hero

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Hey Jim I got 2 Questions for you here.

1. What do you considered the best match for each one of Mick Foley's personas?
    Cactus Jack and Kevin Sullivan vs The Nasty Boys - Slamboree 1994

Dude Love vs Steve Austin - Over the Edge 1998

Mankind vs The Rock - Royal Rumble 1999

Mick Foley vs Edge - Wrestlemania 22 (Honestly, you can go with any of Foley's main 3 2006 matches for this one)

2. What do you think would of happen if Austin stays with ECW back in the day and has more then one match do you see him doing a similar storyline with Pillman as they did in WWF at the time what would of been the direction he went and the feuds? I tend to think Austin/Raven Austin/Douglas Austin/Sabu been good maybe Austin/Benoit.
    Austin/Tazz
    This is going to be a really boring answer, but what we got in Austin's two ECW matches is likely what we would have seen had Austin stuck around for a full year. ECW wasn't known for mixing things up and constantly giving wrestlers fresh feuds. You were given someone to work with, typically a B opponent as well, and that's who you fought for a long ass time. Paul Heyman has spoken about how he would have given the ECW Title had Austin stuck around and I can see it being a real possibility that Austin would have won the title in the three-way dance at December to Dismember 1995 had he not already struck a deal about joining the WWE later in the month. From there, there would have been a ton of Austin/Sandman matches in 1996. I can see Raven getting involved in the picture for both Austin vs Raven and Austin/Raven vs Sandman/Scorpio matches. Chances are Austin's B rival would have likely remained Mikey Whipwreck. Due to Sandman and Scorpio's friendship and my expectation of some tag matches involving them against Austin, I can see Austin and Scorpio being booked against each other.

Austin/Benoit wouldn't have happened since Benoit had already jumped to WCW before Austin even joined ECW. I can't see Austin/Taz happening based on where Taz was in 1996. Both were heels, but Taz was working the MMA gimmick against other shoot based wrestlers. Throw in the fact that Taz was in a holding position for ages as he dealt with the recovering process of his 1995 broken neck and the slow build for Taz/Sabu, and the idea of Austin/Taz crossing paths seems entirely unlikely. Kinda the same thing with Austin/Sabu. Austin would have been involved in the World Title picture for practically the entire year whereas Sabu stayed away from the title picture over the course of that time period. Douglas is the one I'm the most iffy on trying to predict what would have happened since Douglas practically took Austin's spot in reality. I would think that Austin/Douglas never happens though as The Franchise keeps himself busy in the midcard like he did starting in mid 1996 in reality.

Austin's 1996 was far better with Stone Cold going to the WWE where he could start to produce quality. There was potential for him to have good matches in ECW, but it just wasn't going to happen much due to an extended Sandman title program rather than working matches with the midcard scene of Scorpio (More than just one or two), Chris Jericho, Sabu, RVD, and Mikey Whipwreck (The more workrate midcard Mikey matches instead of the over booked ECW Title matches with Mikey).

Indy Talent

Status

What do you think about the fact that Steve Carell never won an Emmy award and meanwhile Jim Parsons has four of them...

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Why is Undertaker a whore for publicity now?

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

Status

So when you spend a bunch of time looking at title lineages, some interesting things pop up. One thing I recently saw was that the WWC World title makes HEAVY use of a particular booking trope. Carlos Colon has 27 reigns, Ray Gonzalez has 21, and Carlitos has 17. Obviously they pass the belt around a lot and always have. But a huge number of those reigns for those 3 are them as the reigning babyface champion facing a heel challenger, having the belt vacated and held up after a non-finish of some kind, and then the babyface winning it again in the rematch for the vacant belt.

Is there a lamer way to rack up title reigns?

And is there a particular trope you hate seeing with regard to world titles?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Quote Originally Posted by Prank Sinatra View Post
    Why is Undertaker a whore for publicity now?
    I would say it's all about the money especially if he's serious about never wrestling again, but I can't imagine he gets paid for all of these appearances. At least in the case of Hot Ones, I don't believe any of the guests have been paid. Considering he seems like such a reserved guy, I don't think it's a case of Taker desperate to finally reveal all of the secrets to his career either. I think it ends up just being a combination of boredom and the ability to do such things now. If he's not wrestling, he doesn't care too much about maintain kayfabe for his character. My guess is that Taker will continue to whore himself out until he tires of it. As he spent decades purposely avoiding whoring himself, it may be awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    So when you spend a bunch of time looking at title lineages, some interesting things pop up. One thing I recently saw was that the WWC World title makes HEAVY use of a particular booking trope. Carlos Colon has 27 reigns, Ray Gonzalez has 21, and Carlitos has 17. Obviously they pass the belt around a lot and always have. But a huge number of those reigns for those 3 are them as the reigning babyface champion facing a heel challenger, having the belt vacated and held up after a non-finish of some kind, and then the babyface winning it again in the rematch for the vacant belt.

Is there a lamer way to rack up title reigns?

And is there a particular trope you hate seeing with regard to world titles?
    The whole title being held up and the previous champion just winning the title in a rematch to earn an additional title reign is a great shout out for the lamest title reign trope. The only one that's worse is when a champion will lose a belt, but the new champion immediately vacates the title, and the previous champion ends up being the next champion. It happened with Triple H in 1999 following Mr. McMahon's title win. WCCW had Fritz Von Erich defeat King Kong Bundy for the American Title, then immediately turn around and retire, thus causing Bundy to be awarded the title back. Vince Russo won the WCW World Title from Booker T, only to vacate it, with Booker T defeating Jeff Jarrett to become champion again.

As bad as your example was, this variation is even worse because yours is an angle while mine is an angle that ends up being erased.

Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163 LastLast

Thread Information