Page 152 of 154 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 3062

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    What's up, bro? How do you feel about the possibility of the next agent 007 being a female? Personally this does not sit well with me. If someone wants a female special agent, just come up with original character. What's your take?
    It seems like a lot of uproar over nothing. 007 will be a woman in Bond 25 as a plot device to see how James Bond deals with the fact that retirement means a woman now has his code number. I see no reason to believe that this means James Bond won't be in Bond 26 in favor of a woman being in his role.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It seems like a lot of uproar over nothing. 007 will be a woman in Bond 25 as a plot device to see how James Bond deals with the fact that retirement means a woman now has his code number. I see no reason to believe that this means James Bond won't be in Bond 26 in favor of a woman being in his role.
    It doesn't. I'm really not sure why people are up in arms over this either, it's clearly been stated that she's just using the call-sign due to his retirement. I couldn't believe the vitriol being spewed over on Reddit's Bond page the other day. Some of the comments were downright disturbing.

I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but seeing as Shout Factory announced it's getting a nice new Blu Ray Collectors Edition, what are your thoughts on The Blob remake?

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    It doesn't. I'm really not sure why people are up in arms over this either, it's clearly been stated that she's just using the call-sign due to his retirement. I couldn't believe the vitriol being spewed over on Reddit's Bond page the other day. Some of the comments were downright disturbing.

I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but seeing as Shout Factory announced it's getting a nice new Blu Ray Collectors Edition, what are your thoughts on The Blob remake?
    I've actually never saw the 80s The Blob.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I've actually never saw the 80s The Blob.
    Well then I'll make it an early recommendation for Fright Fest this year. Add the Larry Hagman directed Beware the Blob to that list as well, since it's batshit crazy.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Well then I'll make it an early recommendation for Fright Fest this year. Add the Larry Hagman directed Beware the Blob to that list as well, since it's batshit crazy.
    80s Blob is a solid suggestion, remember it come late September.

I can tell that Fright Fest is coming up by the fact that I'm starting to think about themes and what I want to accomplish with this year's thread. Most of it won't pan out, but it's fun to try and think about themes to introduce to keep things interesting for me and give that year's Fright Fest a bit of a signature.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

jim how do you feel a brand split would of done in the attitude era?

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    jim how do you feel a brand split would of done in the attitude era?
    That's a pretty vague question, so I'm not entirely sure what you want me to touch on.

Timing wise, you'd think that the launch of Smackdown in the fall of 1999 would be a great time to start the brand extension, just immediately kicking off a new era with Smackdown starting off as its own brand. The problem though is the time period. You just lost Steve Austin and The Undertaker, two of your very top main eventers, and they'd remain gone for nine months to a year. Not to mention your head writer will be abruptly leaving after just a couple of months, thus taking his plans with him. Imagine if Austin and Taker were drafted to Raw and Russo was the head writer of SD, within a month or two, Raw would be without it's top two stars (Presuming Rock and Austin are kept to different brands) and SD is without it's head writer.

The one year anniversary of Smackdown would probably be the best time period to launch a brand extension. Not only would Austin and Taker be back (at the expense of Mick Foley no longer being a wrestler), but the likes of Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and Chris Jericho are now established as upper midcard/lower main eventers. I'm unsure what sounds better, a brand extension where Raw has all of the established main eventers (Austin, Taker, Kane, and maybe Rock and Hunter) and SD has the new blood (Jericho, Benoit, Angle, Guerrero, Rikishi, ect), or a mixture of the two with say Raw (Austin, Hunter, Benoit, Angle, Kane, Hardyz, Too Cool) and Smackdown (Taker, Rock, Jericho, Rikishi, Show, Dudleyz, E&C). Unlike other periods in the Attitude Era, particularly 1998, you had enough established stars that it likely would have worked out fine. Add in the fact that by 2001, you'd be able to bring in stars from ECW and WCW to freshen the brands up, perhaps guys like DDP would have been able to work out in the WWE unlike what happened in reality. Perhaps a brand extension would have helped the WWE prevent itself from feeling a bit stagnate like it did post-WM 17 prior to the Invasion when Rock went to Hollywood and we were stuck watching Hunter/Austin vs Kane/Taker in tired fights.

I have thought about brand extensions during other time periods. Those tend to be a little more interesting to me simply because the Attitude Era is such a small amount of time and there's only one real ideal time to start it, but if you wait much longer, you're basically just doing the regular 2002 brand extension, except a bit sooner. For example, 1993, is a year that seems interesting. Especially early in the year, there was a clear change in the roster with the talent being a clear mix between the established old talent of the late 80s and early 90s that are about to leave the company (DiBiase, Savage, The Nasty Boys, Duggan, Hogan, Beefcake, ect) and a bunch of new talent or at least returning talent that would lead the company into the The New Generation (Yokozuna, Giant Gonzales, The Headshrinkers, Crush, Razor Ramon, Lex Luger, ect). So what happens if instead of this weird mixture until things go a certain way, a brand extension happens with all of the old talent kept together while all of the new talent get sent to the other brand allowing for the one brand to feel like it's 1991 while being two years later while the other brand feels like it's 1995 despite being two years early.

I've also thought about branded television shows. Not so much a proper brand extension, but rather one show dedicated to a specific division. In the past, I came up with a BTB idea where the launch of Sunday Night Heat is built solely around the Light Heavyweight division. All of the smaller talent go there and now you have this little show to try and make people care about a division that no one had any reason to care about at the time. I guess 205 Live before there was a 205 Live. I think the origin of that idea stemmed from WCW Saturday Night in it's final year where it felt like NXT in that it had all of these rookie wrestlers like Mark Jindrak, Chuck Palumbo, ect wrestling only on that program prior to their promotion to Nitro and I dug the idea that WCW Saturday Night then offered a very different product to the rest of WCW at that point. I believe WCW didn't give a shit about the show by that point and just allowed Jimmy Hart to book whatever he wanted. I'm sure if I were to go back and re-watch it, the matches would suck, but I still liked the idea. Which sets up a different idea for an Attitude Era "Brand extension" where it's more of a NXT than a proper brand extension. Set it up after the Montreal Screw Job with the show being dedicated to showcasing the likes of Sexton Hardcastle, Christian Cage, Steele, The Vampire Warrior, ect along with some WWE names that are either coming back from time off like Mark Henry or those struggling to find a role in the company like Bob Holly.

Does any of that answer your question?

Hail To The King

Status

That's a pretty vague question, so I'm not entirely sure what you want me to touch on.

Timing wise, you'd think that the launch of Smackdown in the fall of 1999 would be a great time to start the brand extension, just immediately kicking off a new era with Smackdown starting off as its own brand. The problem though is the time period. You just lost Steve Austin and The Undertaker, two of your very top main eventers, and they'd remain gone for nine months to a year. Not to mention your head writer will be abruptly leaving after just a couple of months, thus taking his plans with him. Imagine if Austin and Taker were drafted to Raw and Russo was the head writer of SD, within a month or two, Raw would be without it's top two stars (Presuming Rock and Austin are kept to different brands) and SD is without it's head writer.

The one year anniversary of Smackdown would probably be the best time period to launch a brand extension. Not only would Austin and Taker be back (at the expense of Mick Foley no longer being a wrestler), but the likes of Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and Chris Jericho are now established as upper midcard/lower main eventers. I'm unsure what sounds better, a brand extension where Raw has all of the established main eventers (Austin, Taker, Kane, and maybe Rock and Hunter) and SD has the new blood (Jericho, Benoit, Angle, Guerrero, Rikishi, ect), or a mixture of the two with say Raw (Austin, Hunter, Benoit, Angle, Kane, Hardyz, Too Cool) and Smackdown (Taker, Rock, Jericho, Rikishi, Show, Dudleyz, E&C). Unlike other periods in the Attitude Era, particularly 1998, you had enough established stars that it likely would have worked out fine. Add in the fact that by 2001, you'd be able to bring in stars from ECW and WCW to freshen the brands up, perhaps guys like DDP would have been able to work out in the WWE unlike what happened in reality. Perhaps a brand extension would have helped the WWE prevent itself from feeling a bit stagnate like it did post-WM 17 prior to the Invasion when Rock went to Hollywood and we were stuck watching Hunter/Austin vs Kane/Taker in tired fights.

I have thought about brand extensions during other time periods. Those tend to be a little more interesting to me simply because the Attitude Era is such a small amount of time and there's only one real ideal time to start it, but if you wait much longer, you're basically just doing the regular 2002 brand extension, except a bit sooner. For example, 1993, is a year that seems interesting. Especially early in the year, there was a clear change in the roster with the talent being a clear mix between the established old talent of the late 80s and early 90s that are about to leave the company (DiBiase, Savage, The Nasty Boys, Duggan, Hogan, Beefcake, ect) and a bunch of new talent or at least returning talent that would lead the company into the The New Generation (Yokozuna, Giant Gonzales, The Headshrinkers, Crush, Razor Ramon, Lex Luger, ect). So what happens if instead of this weird mixture until things go a certain way, a brand extension happens with all of the old talent kept together while all of the new talent get sent to the other brand allowing for the one brand to feel like it's 1991 while being two years later while the other brand feels like it's 1995 despite being two years early.

I've also thought about branded television shows. Not so much a proper brand extension, but rather one show dedicated to a specific division. In the past, I came up with a BTB idea where the launch of Sunday Night Heat is built solely around the Light Heavyweight division. All of the smaller talent go there and now you have this little show to try and make people care about a division that no one had any reason to care about at the time. I guess 205 Live before there was a 205 Live. I think the origin of that idea stemmed from WCW Saturday Night in it's final year where it felt like NXT in that it had all of these rookie wrestlers like Mark Jindrak, Chuck Palumbo, ect wrestling only on that program prior to their promotion to Nitro and I dug the idea that WCW Saturday Night then offered a very different product to the rest of WCW at that point. I believe WCW didn't give a shit about the show by that point and just allowed Jimmy Hart to book whatever he wanted. I'm sure if I were to go back and re-watch it, the matches would suck, but I still liked the idea. Which sets up a different idea for an Attitude Era "Brand extension" where it's more of a NXT than a proper brand extension. Set it up after the Montreal Screw Job with the show being dedicated to showcasing the likes of Sexton Hardcastle, Christian Cage, Steele, The Vampire Warrior, ect along with some WWE names that are either coming back from time off like Mark Henry or those struggling to find a role in the company like Bob Holly.

Does any of that answer your question?
    Yes that does ik its a little vauge but i been thinking bout that n a split in the 80s as well.

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Chikara Trainee

Status

80s Blob is a solid suggestion, remember it come late September.I can tell that Fright Fest is coming up by the fact that I'm starting to think about themes and what I want to accomplish with this year's thread. Most of it won't pan out, but it's fun to try and think about themes to introduce to keep things interesting for me and give that year's Fright Fest a bit of a signature.
    Sorry if I sound stupid, but what is Fright Fest and is there a way to see it ahead of time?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but what is Fright Fest and is there a way to see it ahead of time?
    My annual horror movie review thread I do every October. And no, you may not, since like...I naturally haven't started it yet. There's a link to my Fright Fest archive in my sig though.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Wow, this is so cool, bro. I am a big horror junkie as well. I will read your past reviews and maybe throw a few recommendations for you to consider for this year's edition if it's possible.

Wow, this is so cool, bro. I am a big horror junkie as well. I will read your past reviews and maybe throw a few recommendations for you to consider for this year's edition if it's possible.
    If you have requests, I normally start the Fright Fest thread up around September 21 to give people a chance to start requesting movies before the project officially gets rolling.

Hail To The King

Status

Jim how different do you think WWE would be today if these two major things dont happen at WM XXX Daniel Bryan doesnt win vs. HHH thus not making it in the main event and the streak doesnt get broken?

Care to elberoate on what you think happens

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Jim how different do you think WWE would be today if these two major things dont happen at WM XXX Daniel Bryan doesnt win vs. HHH thus not making it in the main event and the streak doesnt get broken?

Care to elaborate on what you think happens
    Daniel Bryan doesn't win

This one seems pretty simple. Not much would have changed at all. Sure, we would have missed out on a great moment, but Bryan was fucked regardless due to his injuries. Bryan's long term wouldn't have been changed much, if at all, other than not being able to call himself a former WWE Champion. For the WWE Title, I assume Batista would have won the title at Mania, the crowd wouldn't have been happy, but eh, that's just an early preview of WM 32-34. The end game of Brock going over strong over the WWE Champion at Summerslam. I assume Batista cut his WWE run short based on the fact that he wasn't getting the belt and he ultimately wasn't needed. Had he won the title, I can see him lasting until Summerslam to put over Brock. So this change is less about impact, since the end result is always going to be the same due to Brock getting the title and Bryan's injury, but the enjoyment and positive reactions wouldn't have been as high. This includes both Bryan at Wrestlemania and Evolution coming back together for Extreme Rules and Payback since Batista needed a new role.

The Streak doesn't end

Brock's still going over really strong at Summerslam. Granted, his year isn't as impressive as it was in reality since ending the Streak was a huge deal, but Brock would be fine. Safe bet is that Taker would still lose to Roman Reigns at some point. Maybe that means Taker ends up going 24-1 before losing at WM 33? The appeal of this that it opens the door for a much more interesting WM 31 match for Taker. Instead of being wasted on Bray, you've got two potentially huge Streak matches in either John Cena or Sting.
    ---

So overall, I wouldn't say either one truly had long term impact, but changing both does reduce the amount of enjoyment of that time period.

Hail To The King

Status

Daniel Bryan doesn't win

This one seems pretty simple. Not much would have changed at all. Sure, we would have missed out on a great moment, but Bryan was fucked regardless due to his injuries. Bryan's long term wouldn't have been changed much, if at all, other than not being able to call himself a former WWE Champion. For the WWE Title, I assume Batista would have won the title at Mania, the crowd wouldn't have been happy, but eh, that's just an early preview of WM 32-34. The end game of Brock going over strong over the WWE Champion at Summerslam. I assume Batista cut his WWE run short based on the fact that he wasn't getting the belt and he ultimately wasn't needed. Had he won the title, I can see him lasting until Summerslam to put over Brock. So this change is less about impact, since the end result is always going to be the same due to Brock getting the title and Bryan's injury, but the enjoyment and positive reactions wouldn't have been as high. This includes both Bryan at Wrestlemania and Evolution coming back together for Extreme Rules and Payback since Batista needed a new role.

The Streak doesn't end

Brock's still going over really strong at Summerslam. Granted, his year isn't as impressive as it was in reality since ending the Streak was a huge deal, but Brock would be fine. Safe bet is that Taker would still lose to Roman Reigns at some point. Maybe that means Taker ends up going 24-1 before losing at WM 33? The appeal of this that it opens the door for a much more interesting WM 31 match for Taker. Instead of being wasted on Bray, you've got two potentially huge Streak matches in either John Cena or Sting.
    ---

So overall, I wouldn't say either one truly had long term impact, but changing both does reduce the amount of enjoyment of that time period.
    So you wouldn't think Daniel Bryan pulls a Punk and sits out? Maybe goes back to ROH?

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

So you wouldn't think Daniel Bryan pulls a Punk and sits out? Maybe goes back to ROH?

Why would he? This is the same guy who was penciled in to wrestle Sheamus at Wrestlemania 30 at the start of the year. Even if he loses to Triple H, his spotlight at WM 30 was way bigger than the original plans.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Further to the discussion in the match review thread, what are your top recommendations for any combo of Strike Force, Harts, Killer Bees or Islanders matches? I’m looking for singles stuff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

If you could dump any wrestler(s) ever into any promotion at any point in time who would you pick and why?

Bonus points if the wrestler in question was only moderately successful in their timeline but would thrive elsewhere.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Further to the discussion in the match review thread, what are your top recommendations for any combo of Strike Force, Harts, Killer Bees or Islanders matches? I’m looking for singles stuff as well.
    Hart Foundation vs Islanders - Philly Spectrum 3/14/87 - 3 ¾
    Hart Foundation vs Tito Santana, Danny Spivey - SNME 3/14/87 - 3
    Hart Foundation, Danny Davis vs British Bulldogs, Tito Santana - Wrestlemania 3 - 3
    Rick Martel vs Tama - Philly Spectrum 7/18/87 - 3
    Strike Force vs The Islanders - MSG 10/16/87 - 3 ½ (3 ¾ )
    Hart Foundation vs Strike Force - Superstars 10/27/87 - 3 ½
    Strike Force vs Islanders - Philly Spectrum 11/7/87 - 3
    Team Strike Force vs Team Hart Foundation - Survivor Series 1987 - 3 ¼
    Strike Force vs Hart Foundation - Sam Houston Coliseum 12/10/87 - 3 ¾
    King Haku vs Jim Brunzell - Boston Garden 11/5/88 - 3
    Team Demolition vs Team Powers of Pain - Survivor Series 1988 - 4
    Bret Hart vs Rick Martel - Copps Coliseum 5/1/89 - 3
    Bret Hart vs Rick Martel - MSG 3/19/90 - 3 ¼

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    If you could dump any wrestler(s) ever into any promotion at any point in time who would you pick and why?

Bonus points if the wrestler in question was only moderately successful in their timeline but would thrive elsewhere.
    This is more of a general one, but any of the untalented monster goons since 2000 would have been a much bigger success back in the 80s. For example, Vladimir Kozlov could have made some great money working the house show loops against Hulk Hogan prior to the collapse of the Soviet Union. I would include someone like The Great Khali in this, but he actually had a pretty solid career in the 2000s.

Bringing Mike Awesome to the current day wrestling scene would have opened up many doors for him that weren't open when he was in his prime. Back in the late 90s, the Big Two saw him as a big guy, but not someone who could be considered a giant, thus lowering his worth. Working a Cruiserweight style to some extent likely didn't help much either. Yet, these days, I can see every company going crazy trying to sign a 1998 Mike Awesome as his style is now pretty standard stuff now. The drawback is that he'd need to alter his style to remove the head shots, but with his size, I'm sure Triple H would be drooling to have Awesome appear in a suit watching a TakeOver.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Norfolk Island

Was Barry Horowitz' victory over Skip the biggest jobber upset in the history of wrestling?

Also... Would you please book a King of the Ring tournament with the following 8 competitors, which are all in their best physical shape and at the peak of their fitness agewise? (I'll put another 8 at the bottom, if you want to do and have the time for booking a 16-man tournament...)
    - Jake Roberts
    - The British Bulldog
    - Rob Van Dam
    - Ricky Steamboat
    - Dean Ambrose
    - Shelton Benjamin
    - Arn Anderson
    - Samoa Joe

Spoiler:

- Ric Flair
    - Randy Orton
    - Bam Bam Bigelow
    - Chris Benoit
    - Owen Hart
    - Chris Jericho
    - Rey Mysterio
    - AJ Styles

You can book it like you want...if you want to go over more shows or in a single PPV... your choice. Maybe you want to put some stimulation in a certain round or something like that. Your choice.

Page 152 of 154 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 LastLast

Thread Information