Page 149 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3001

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Status

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If it's the match I'm thinking it is, that used to be billed as one of the all time best IC Title matches. Pretty sure it was sought after pretty hard when we did the greatest IC Title matches list on here years ago.
    Valentine bled a lot, and ended up with a "curfew bell" draw.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, and possibly when that list was being done. Just a war that made the belt seem super fucking important to both men. Which is honestly the main part of elevating a title. Treat it like its worthwhile and fans will generally see it as such.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Valentine bled a lot, and ended up with a "curfew bell" draw.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, and possibly when that list was being done. Just a war that made the belt seem super fucking important to both men. Which is honestly the main part of elevating a title. Treat it like its worthwhile and fans will generally see it as such.
    I did some digging and found a review I did of the match back in April 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Younger Jim
    Greg Valentine (c) vs Tito Santana - WWE IC Title - MSG - November 24, 1984
    So the good - these two had a war. You can't say these two didn't appear as if they hated each other. Nor could you deny the fact that both men wanted to leave as champion. You just don't see these sort of wars anymore these days. I liked that they played into the Santana knee injury by having Valentine work over the knee and to have Santana focus some on Valentine's. The blade job by Valentine accomplished the exact purpose blood should fill in a match - adds to the drama. Santana seemed like a crazed man by using a chair on Valentine's knee and busting him open. All great stuff. Now the bad. Even though the knee was a focus in the match, it didn't play a long term story. The main story was that it was a brawl to end all brawls, so the knee injury sorta came and went. I watch a lot of old house shows, so I end up watching a lot of dirty and non-finishes. As a result, any time a match goes to a draw, it's a little disappointing. The fact that the result was a curfew and not time limit or a double count-out for some reason makes it even more annoying. It's like watching an amazing movie, but leaving before the ending. Still, it's a great match and I'll be damned if I've seen a better IC title match up to this point. It won't be on my list, but it's a main honorable mention. *** ¾
    I believe I talked about Santana not too long ago in this thread, but this reminds me that he doesn't receive enough credit for helping create this reputation that the IC Title was the workrate title. His two reigns and all of the times he challenged for the title, including shortly after losing the title for the second time Savage rematches and even the 1990 matches against Mr. Perfect, produced a lot of quality that you didn't really see prior to Santana in this division.

Status

I believe I talked about Santana not too long ago in this thread, but this reminds me that he doesn't receive enough credit for helping create this reputation that the IC Title was the workrate title. His two reigns and all of the times he challenged for the title, including shortly after losing the title for the second time Savage rematches and even the 1990 matches against Mr. Perfect, produced a lot of quality that you didn't really see prior to Santana in this division.
    Nice review. Can't really disagree with any of your points. The ending did feel like a letdown, but definitely a war.

I'm gaining a lot more respect for Tito in going back and watching this stuff. I always liked him as a kid, but yeah.... guy could work.

Watching them in sequence. At WrestleMania 1 now. Its been awhile since I've watched it.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Watching them in sequence. At WrestleMania 1 now. Its been awhile since I've watched it.
    As far as WM 1, the IC Title division is pretty disappointing. The match that matters, Valentine/Santana, doesn't happen and instead Santana is booked against an undefeated wrestler...who never wrestled before, and Valentine worked a count-out against JYD. In hindsight, all of that makes sense though. The Valentine/Santana program is still going on for a couple more months, so you don't want to expose them on such a big show to take away interest in the house shows. WM 1 also deserves a ton of credit for McMahon using it to educate new fans as to all of the ways a match could end. Santana showed everyone that you could win by submission. Meanwhile, Valentine not only showed that you can lose by being counted out, but also that titles can't change hands unless they're pinned or submitted.

It's fair that Santana could have been given a better opponent, but perhaps the fact that he had to win by submission, there wasn't much interest in putting someone of real value in that spot. I know that's why Buddy Rose didn't want to work as himself in the match. The two best alternate opponents would likely have been Don Muraco and Ken Patera. Muraco especially stands out as someone who was the biggest star, yet was snubbed from the show. However, Muraco is going to be one of Hogan's main house show programs after WM, including Hogan's next MSG opponent. So he's out. Patera is seemingly a good pick since he'll be out of the company soon enough, but he is challenging for Hogan's title a few times before leaving, so maybe there wasn't any desire to have him submit to Santana.

I suppose it doesn't really matter though. What was important is that Santana got the strong victory, to keep him looking good until his title win. Had Mania 1 taken place years later, it seems much more likely that the title change would have happened there.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

So knowing the violent history of the Bushwackers as the Sheephearders how do you think it would of went for them in the WWF if they stayed the vicious heels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    So knowing the violent history of the Bushwackers as the Sheephearders how do you think it would of went for them in the WWF if they stayed the vicious heels?
    I mean, they were in the WWE for 7 1/2 years between 1988-1996. Those weren't years where we saw violence on WWE TV. In fact, most of the time period, the WWE had a ban on blood. Meanwhile, The Bushwhackers were both in their 40s by their debut with Butch's career already being at 20 years in the business. Being able to slow down and just work a wacky comedy gimmick was probably just what they needed to keep wrestling as they got older. Between their ages and the WWE not being a violent company during their tenure, The Sheepherders likely would have been drastically sanitized. I do think that it would have been interesting to see The Bushwhackers turn heel after they stopped having any value around 1992 just for the potentially interesting story of this fun loving team suddenly turning to the dark side, but it's possible it would have been just as effective as when The Highlanders turned heel.

After they left the WWE in 1996, I would have been a lot more interested in seeing The Sheepherders work a short run in ECW, working a few bloodbaths to put over some of ECW's teams and get in the fun of seeing the non-comedy act show off how hardcore they could be for a new generation.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

I can agree with all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status

Looking for some random Jim thoughts on the following....

Honky Tonk Man
    Harley Race - both at his peak and his WWE run
    King Kong Bundy
    Big John Studd
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Honky Tonk Man
    I was never a fan. Although he's not nearly as bad as someone like Dino Bravo, Honky was always one of the worse workers in the WWE. Personality wise, he was pretty good though and he did come across as a star when he was the IC Champion. Considering what a great worker Savage was, it was pretty frustrated that he was wasted for so many months against Honky, not that far off from having to work with George Steele for a year. That's quite the downgrade from feuding with Tito Santana for six months and Ricky Steamboat off and on for a year and a half.

Harley Race - both at his peak and his WWE run
    Considering his peak was in the 70s, I don't really know anything about Race when he was at his peak. I'm far more knowledgeable about his final time at top in the early 80s and then especially his time in the WWE. In the WWE, I was quite a fan. He was one of the biggest sellers and that helped make his matches more fun to watch. From a quality standpoint, he didn't do much in the WWE, but what do you expect when his biggest feud was against JYD? His run is probably comparable with Terry Funk where McMahon didn't use them as much as he could have, but they were fun additions to the roster.

King Kong Bundy
    Between 1985-1986, he was a pretty great addition to the roster with his monster character and the 5 count gimmick. I do think he lost some steam after Wrestlemania 2 where you now knew where his ceiling was and that he wasn't unbeatable. From a quality standpoint, the only matches of Bundy I ever liked were some he had with Hogan. Still, you can forgive his shortcomings due to his quality 5 count gimmick. Frankly, I'm shocked that another wrestler has never used that gimmick again for heel heat. I know Big E. tried in NXT, but it failed in my eyes due to the character being a babyface, so I could never make what the purpose of bringing that gimmick back was. For his 1994-1995 run, he brought nothing to the table. I can't even blame Bundy since putting on quality matches was never something that was expected out of him. The problem is that the WWE didn't bring back his 5 count gimmick and he didn't seem to accomplish anything. Just a midcard heel whose entire purpose was to put over Taker at Wrestlemania. Seems like a waste of a former Wrestlemania main eventer.

Big John Studd
    The Andre/Studd program was money. As was the fact that Studd had the gimmick where you'd win money if you could body slam him. That's something missing from most monsters, a gimmick of sorts attached to their matches. Bundy and Studd both had it and both gimmicks are memorable today. Thinking back from today until 1990, how many other monsters in the WWE had such a gimmick? I can't say I've seen a Studd match that I felt was actually good, but I think that has more to do with the fact that he left the WWE in 1986, which I'm far more likely to watch house shows from 1987 on. There was the attempt of a comeback in 1989, but it was so short that it felt like a waste of time that set more things up than it actually delivered on.

Status

Nice.

Honky Tonk always left me with a bit of a sour taste and I think you hit why - they could have had the IC belt on someone who could do so much more in the ring. He was a fun character to hate as a kid, but....

I have that great respect for Race as an all-time great, but I honestly haven't seen a ton of his peak stuff either. The obvious ones like against Flair and I think a few Dusty matches. He's a guy I need to do more watching of.

Both Bundy and Studd have spots in my heart, even though neither was great in the ring. They were the resident monsters in the WWF in some of the earliest stuff I can recall watching. And they were both gone by the point I was old enough to remember stuff reasonably well (moreso 1987 and on).

Next batch of random thoughts....

Roddy Piper
    Ricky Steamboat's WWF run
    The Killer Bees
    Brutus Beefcake
    Butch Reed
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Honky Tonk always left me with a bit of a sour taste and I think you hit why - they could have had the IC belt on someone who could do so much more in the ring. He was a fun character to hate as a kid, but....
    In fairness to Honky, I'm not sure who would have been a better IC Champion at the time. While the World Title was dominated by babyfaces, the IC Title was dominated by heels. It's a shame Steamboat couldn't hold onto the title until Ted DiBiase could debut for the company as he would have fit the bill of a traditional IC Champion better.

Roddy Piper
    Obviously one of the best talkers ever, but with the condition where only where he knew what he needed to talk about and he stuck to it. Especially in WCW, he was given too much freedom and generally talked nonsense. As a worker, his matches could range between really good and awful. If he was booked against someone really good, the matches would be great, but I've also seen him against plenty of lousy opponents that failed to generate decent matches. Looking at mid 80s WWE, it's really hard to imagine the WWE without Piper. Hogan had a ton of rivals, but none of them stood out on the mic (The actual wrestlers, not their managers) except for Piper.

Ricky Steamboat's WWF run
    Never as good as his runs in JCP/WCW. His 1985 was a mixed bag where Steamboat was plugged into a generic midcard babyface spot where the results were just average. He eventually found a bit of a character with his karate in the Muraco program. In 1986, he connected way better thanks to the Jake Roberts program (Fuck The Big Event, their one Boston Garden match was an actual great match) and then the set-up for the Randy Savage program. His 1987 had a great feud with Savage, but the second half of the year was unremarkable with his final few months in the company clearly Steamboat not giving a fuck. His 1991 run was an all around disappointment. He wasn't given anything to do and it was 1988 WWE Steamboat back where he wasn't putting in his full effort. The whole fire breathing gimmick was rad though, evidence that it's the one thing that WCW kept when Steamboat returned. You can find a ton of quality for matches for Steamboat in the WWE thanks to plenty of matches against Savage from 1985-1987 and then some randoms. It's still a run that's a little disappointing when you compare it to his times in WCW.

The Killer Bees
    They were okay. There were some good matches with The Hart Foundation, but they were never a team that mattered thanks to teams like The British Bulldogs being booked higher and producing far more quality than them at the same time. Their biggest strength was the mask gimmick though. Now that I think about it with Bundy's five count, Studd's slam competition, and The Bees mask gimmick, a lot of these mid 80s acts had extra gimmicks that they could do in the ring only. I know I've seen some voice issues with a babyface team cheating with masks, but such criticism never flew with me since it's a direct response to heels cheating.

Brutus Beefcake
    As a singles heel in 1984-1985, he was awful and brought nothing to the table. Did you know he was billed from Parts Unknown then? Like...why would such a normal guy be billed from Parts Unknown? Seriously, I can't find another normal man who was billed from Parts Unknown. The most normal man is a regular guy who is wearing a mask like Battle Kat. Why the fuck was he billed from Parts Unknown then? Ugh. Once he was put in the Dream Team, he suddenly became an asset. He and Valentine were a good team and it's a bit of a shame they didn't last too long. When he turned face, everything seemed to click and now he was one of the most popular wrestlers on the roster. By around 1989, his workrate had improved a good deal and sometimes he could put on some average matches. He gets too much flack as being someone who only found success because of who his best friend was. Dude was legitimately one of the most over guys in the company for a couple of years.

Butch Reed
    I was never much of a fan of Reed. As a kid, I think it's because I preferred Ron Simmons, so Reed was just the other guy in Doom. It didn't help matters that I wasn't seeing Reed on a regular basis when I was young, so he was often just that guy who popped up here and there when I rented tapes. In the past decade, I've seen a fair bit of Reed. In the WWE, Reed never stood out, although I did like the bleach blonde hair to help him give him a more signature look. Doom is a team that I've changed my mind on perhaps the most from when I was young to now. Now I look back at Doom as clearly being the peak of Simmons' career to me. I should watch more Mid-South to see Reed at his most booked, but that takes effort. Put in a Doom match and I'll care, but Reed on his own is just a guy to me.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

From what I've seen from Mid-South Butch Reed, he is a fantastic wrestler. Just the match with Dick Murdoch was enough to convince me that.

Status

I hope you don't dislike these cuz I'm enjoying it and have plenty more I can throw at you....

I liked the Bee's mask gimmick. And babyfaces "turning the tables" on the heels seemed to be a regular thing the WWF. I know I've commented before in watching back some old events (maybe my SummerSlam thread....?) that Hogan actually did that a ton. It was a face that was essentially cheating, but justified because it was returning the favor of what the heel just did.

I DID know that about Brutus.... but purely because I recently watched the WWF show where he debuted. It was kinda strange all the way around. It was like they put in place a bunch of elements of giving him an interesting gimmick.... but just flat out fucking forgot.

A bit of the Mid South stuff I was recently watching had Hacksaw Butch Reed, and that was actually what promoted the question. he seemed a more interesting character there, at least, and possibly a better worker.

I'll wait a bit before throwing another list at you....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    From what I've seen from Mid-South Butch Reed, he is a fantastic wrestler. Just the match with Dick Murdoch was enough to convince me that.
    Have a date on that show?

I hope you don't dislike these cuz I'm enjoying it and have plenty more I can throw at you....
    I like it more than some of the more broad statements you posted recently just because I was pretty limited by what I could say. With these, I can at least get out an easy paragraph on some general thoughts on someone.

I liked the Bee's mask gimmick. And babyfaces "turning the tables" on the heels seemed to be a regular thing the WWF. I know I've commented before in watching back some old events (maybe my SummerSlam thread....?) that Hogan actually did that a ton. It was a face that was essentially cheating, but justified because it was returning the favor of what the heel just did.
    Hogan's a weird case because when you watch him as a kid, he's the ultimate babyface. However, when you re-watch him as an adult, he often comes across as a selfish asshole. It's what keeps him interesting though.

A bit of the Mid South stuff I was recently watching had Hacksaw Butch Reed, and that was actually what promoted the question. he seemed a more interesting character there, at least, and possibly a better worker.
    Even with the little that I've seen, Mid-South was clearly the place where Reed was the biggest star.

I'll wait a bit before throwing another list at you....
    Eh, if you have other questions, throw them in here. It's not as if this thread is overly busy these days.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Have a date on that show?
    They have multiple matches together but the best one was the match on the 22/09/85 show.

They have multiple matches together but the best one was the match on the 22/09/85 show.
    I had almost given up hope looking for the show since it's not on the WWE Network and I was unsure if you even had the right date (Who am I to doubt MC 16?), until I remembered about my massive Mid-South collection I have on an external hard drive. I really need to dive more into this collection. In the past, I've used it to watch various Dr. Death matches for New Year's, but other than that, many of these matches have been left unwatched.

The massive collection I downloaded years ago:

Spoiler:

Disc 1- “Play the Bass”
    Bob Roop vs. Mike George (12/16/81)
    Mr. Olympia vs. Paul Orndorff (2/3/82)
    Bob Roop vs. Ted DiBiase (4/2/82)
    Junkyard Dog vs. Nick Bockwinkel (6/11/82)
    Mr. Olympia vs. Bob Roop (7/15/82)
    Junkyard Dog & Mr. Olympia vs. Ted DiBiase & Hacksaw Duggan (8/18/82)
    One Man Gang vs. Buck Robley (Lumberjack Match) (9/15/82)
    Junkyard Dog & Mr. Olympia vs. Ted Dibiase & Matt Borne (Loser Leaves Town) (10/27/82)
    Stagger Lee & Mr. Olympia vs. Ted DiBiase & Matt Borne (12/18/82)
    Mr. Wrestling II & Junkyard Dog vs. Matt Borne & Ted DiBiase (2/16/83)
    Butch Reed v. Iron Sheik (4/8/83)
    Nick Bockwinkel vs. Dusty Rhodes (5/20/83)
    Mr. Olympia vs. Chavo Guerrerro (6/24/83)
    Ted DiBiase vs. Hacksaw Duggan (Street Fight) (7/29/83)
    Mr. Wrestling II & Magnum T.A. vs. Butch Reed & Jim Neidhart (Cage Match) (12/25/83)
    Mr. Wrestling II & Magnum T.A. vs. Midnight Express (2/10/84)
    Buddy Landel & Butch Reed vs. Rock N Roll Express (3/28/84)
    Midnight Express vs. Bill Dundee & Porkchop Cash (4/6/84)
    Midnight Express vs. Bill Watts & Stagger Lee (4/22/84)
    Midnight Express vs. Rock N Roll Express (No DQ: Tag Titles vs. $50,000) (5/23/84)

Disc 2 - ”Sharp Dressed Man”
    Magnum TA vs. Ted DiBiase (No DQ) (OKC 5/27/84)
    Magnum TA vs. Ted DiBiase (No DQ) (Tulsa 5/27/84)
    Rock N Roll Express & Hacksaw Duggan vs. Midnight Express & Ernie Ladd (6/8/84)
    Rock N Roll Express & Hacksaw Duggan vs. Midnight Express & Ernie Ladd (7/2/84)
    Magnum TA v. Ted DiBiase (7/6/84)
    The Fantastics & Hacksaw Duggan vs. Midnight Express & Jim Cornette (7/20/84)
    The Fantastics vs. Midnight Express (OKC 8/9/84)
    Dusty Rhodes & Jim Duggan vs. Butch Reed & Hercules Hernandez (8/19/84)
    Killer Khan v. Chris Adams (9/9/84)
    Butch Reed vs. Skip Young (9/23/84)
    The Fantastics vs. Midnight Express (No DQ) (9/28/84)
    Adrian Street vs. Chris Adams (10/10/84)
    The Fantastics vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero (10/12/84)
    Brickhouse Brown & Master Gee vs. Butch Reed & Ernie Ladd (10/21/84)
    BONUS: Junkyard Dog vs. Butch Reed (Ghetto Street Fight)
    BONUS: Hector Guerrero vs. Jose Lothario (Mexican Death Match) (4th Fall only) (6/8/84)
    BONUS: Cornette Gets A Haircut (9/3/84)

Disc 3 - “Bad Reputation”
    Ernie Ladd & Butch Reed vs. Magnum TA & Master G (Street Fight) (11/4/84)
    Buddy Landel, Chavo & Hector Guerrero vs. Brickhouse Brown, Bill Dundee & Jose Lothario (Elimination Match) (11/16/84)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Midnight Express (Scaffold Match) (12/2/84)
    Adrian Street vs. Terry Taylor (Loser Leaves Town) (12/7/84)
    Brad Armstrong vs. Ted DiBiase (1/16/85)
    Kevin Von Erich vs. Chris Adams (1/18/85)
    Buddy Landel, Chavo & Hector Guerrero vs. Rock N Roll Express & Jose Lothario (Elimination Match) (1/18/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Midnight Express (1/21/85)
    Ted DiBiase & Dr. Death vs. Hacksaw Duggan & Terry Gordy (Texas Tornado Match) (1/21/85)
    Ted DiBiase vs. Brad Armstrong (2/10/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero (2/13/85)
    Rock N Roll Express & Butch Reed vs. Dr. Death, Kamala & One Man Gang (2/25/85)
    Ted Dibiase vs. Jim Duggan (No DQ) (3/8/85)
    Ted Dibiase vs. Hacksaw Duggan (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town, Coal Miner's Glove on a Poll, Tuxedo, Cage match ) (3/22/85)
    The Fantastics vs. Dr. Death & Jake Roberts (4/14/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Dirty White Boys (4/15/85)
    Ric Flair vs. Terry Taylor (4/28/85)

Disc 4 - "Rock N Roll is King"
    Kerry Von Erich vs. Ric Flair (4/28/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Ted DiBiase & Dr. Death (5/3/85)
    Ric Flair vs. Terry Taylor (5/3/85)
    Kerry Von Erich vs. Ric Flair (5/4/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Dirty White Boys (5/11/85)
    Dirty White Boys vs. Terry Daniels & Bill Dundee (5/11/85)
    Terry Taylor vs. Ric Flair (6/1/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Ted DiBiase & Dr. Death (6/19/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts (6/24/85)
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Jake Roberts & The Barbarian (6/28/85)

Disc 5 - "The South's Gonna Do It Again"
    Rock N Roll Express vs. Midnight Express (6/30/85)
    Ted DiBiase vs. Terry Taylor (7/3/85)
    Ric Flair vs. Wahoo McDaniel (7/12/85)
    Ted DiBiase & Dr. Death vs. Jake Roberts & The Barbarian (7/14/85)
    Dick Murdoch vs. The Nightmare (7/14/85)
    Hacksaw Duggan & Dick Murdoch vs. Kamala & Kareem Muhammad (7/14/85)
    Ted Dibiase vs. Jake Roberts (7/22/85)
    Ted Dibiase vs. Butch Reed (7/25/85)
    Jim Duggan, Dick Murdoch & Bill Watts vs. Kamala, Kareem Muhammad & Skandor Akbar (7/28/85)
    Ric Flair vs. Butch Reed (8/10/85)
    Al Perez & Wendell Cooley vs. Dr. Death & Bob Sweetan (8/30/85)
    Dick Murdoch vs. Dr. Death (9/20/85)
    The Fantastics vs. Bill Dundee & Dutch Mantell (9/22/85)

Disc 6- “Body Work”
    Butch Reed vs. Dick Murdoch (9/22/85)
    The Fantastics vs. Dutch Mantell & Bill Dundee (10/4/85)
    Ted DiBiase vs. Bob Sweetan (Taped Fist) (10/11/85)
    Butch Reed vs. Ric Flair (10/11/85)
    Ted DiBiase vs. Bob Sweetan (10/13/85)
    Butch Reed vs. Dick Murdoch (10/14/85)
    The Fantastics vs. Buzz Sawyer & Dick Slater (10/27/85)
    Ted Dibiase vs. Ric Flair (11/6/85)
    Butch Reed vs. Ric Flair (11/8/85)
    Hacksaw Duggan vs. Buzz Sawyer (11/11/85)
    Butch Reed vs. Dick Slater (11/22/85)
    Jake Roberts vs. Ric Flair (11/24/85)

Disc 7
    “Just Got Paid”
    Jake Roberts vs. Lord Humongous (Cage Match) (11/29/85)
    Dick Slater vs. Butch Reed (No DQ) (12/13/85)
    Dick Slater vs. Dr. Death (12/18/85)
    The Fabulous Ones vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero (12/27/85)
    Ted Dibiase vs. Dick Murdoch (12/27/85)
    Buzz Sawyer vs. Jim Duggan (Dog Collar Match) (12/27/85)
    The Fabulous Ones vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero (12/29/85)
    Eddie Gilbert & The Nightmare vs. The Bruise Brothers (12/31/85)
    Ted DiBiase vs. Dick Murdoch (No DQ) (12/31/85)
    Buzz Sawyer vs. Butch Reed (Dog Collar Match) (12/31/85)
    Dick Slater vs. Hacksaw Duggan (12/31/85)
    Dick Slater vs. Jake Roberts (1/1/86)
    Dick Slater vs. Butch Reed (1/1/86)
    Dick Murdoch & Masked Superstar vs. Brett Sawyer & Al Perez (1/19/86)
    Dick Slater vs. Jake Roberts (1/24/86)
    The Fabulous Ones vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero (Mexican Death Match) (1/24/86)
    Buzz Sawyer vs. Dr. Death (1/28/86)

Disc 8
    “The Bird”
    Ted Dibiase, Dr. Death & Jim Duggan vs. Masked Superstar, Dick Murdoch & Buzz Sawyer (1/31/86)
    Chavo Guerrero vs. Steve Keirn (no DQ loser is painted yellow match) (1/31/86)
    Terry Taylor vs. Jake Roberts (2/11/86)
    Ted Dibiase & Dr. Death vs. Dick Murdoch & Masked Superstar (2/14/86)
    Dick Slater vs. Jake Roberts (2/14/86)
    Koko B. Ware vs. Eddie Gilbert (2/28/86)
    Ted DiBiase, Dr. Death, Terry Taylor & Hacksaw Duggan vs. Dick Murdoch, Buzz Sawyer & The Masked Superstars (2/28/86)
    Chavo & Hector Guerrero vs. The Fabulous Ones (Texas Tornado Cage Match) (2/28/86)
    Dick Slater vs. Jake Roberts (No DQ, Dark Journey In A Cage) (2/28/86)
    Dick Slater vs. Hacksaw Duggan (4/11/86)
    Gustavo Mendoza vs. Brett Wayne Sawyer (5/9/86)
    The Fantastics & Terry Taylor vs. The Sheepherders & Jack Victory (5/9/86)
    The Fantastics & Terry Taylor vs. The Sheepherders & Jack Victory (Barbed Wire Cage Match) (5/25/86)
    Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts vs. Ted Dibiase & Terry Taylor (5/25/86)
    Terry Taylor vs. Buddy Roberts (6/8/86)
    Chavo Guerrero vs. Buzz Sawyer (6/13/86)

Disc 9
    “Bad Street USA”
    Terry Gordy vs. Terry Taylor (6/13/86)
    Terry Gordy vs. Terry Taylor (6/17/86)
    Terry Gordy vs. Dr. Death (6/22/86)
    Hacksaw Duggan, Terry Taylor & Bill Watts vs. The Fabulous Freebirds (7/20/86)
    The Fantastics & Missing Link vs. Eddie Gilbert, John Tatum & Sting (8/3/86)
    Terry Gordy vs. Hacksaw Duggan (8/3/86)
    Terry Taylor vs. John Tatum (8/17/86)
    Hacksaw Duggan, Terry Taylor & Bill Watts vs. The Fabulous Freebirds (8/17/86)
    Ted Dibiase & Dr. Death vs. Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts (Lumberjack Match) (8/31/86)
    The Fantastics vs. Sting & Eddie Gilbert (9/7/86)
    Terry Gordy vs. Dr. Death (9/15/86)
    Terry Gordy vs. One Man Gang (9/21/86)
    Terry Gordy vs. Dr. Death (9/28/86)
    Ted DiBiase & Terry Taylor vs. Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts (Country Whipping Match) (10/12/86)
    The Fantastics vs. John Tatum & Jack Victory (11/4/86)
    Ted Dibiase vs. One Man Gang (11/18/86)
    Terry Gordy vs. Dr. Death (12/26/86)

Disc 10
    “Born In the USA”
    Terry Gordy vs. Dr. Death (12/28/86)
    Ted DiBiase & Dr. Death vs. Terry Gordy & Michael Hayes (Badstreet Match) (1/9/87)
    The Fantastics & Dr. Death vs. The Fabulous Freebirds (1/18/87)
    Ted DiBiase & Dr. Death vs. Terry Gordy & Michael Hayes (Badstreet Match) (1/25/87)
    Ted Dibiase vs. One Man Gang (No DQ) (2/6/87)
    Chris Adams & Terry Taylor vs. Eddie Gilbert & Iceman Parsons (3/20/87)
    One Man Gang vs. Big Bubba Rogers (4/19/87)
    Chris Adams vs. Terry Taylor (4/19/87)
    Chris Adams vs. Terry Taylor (5/3/87)
    Eddie Gilbert vs. Dr. Death (5/17/87)
    Dick Murdoch vs. Dr. Death (6/13/87)
    Eddie Gilbert & Dick Murdoch vs. Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts (6/25/87)
    Dick Murdoch vs. Barry Windham (7/11/87)
    Eddie Gilbert & Dick Murdoch vs. Lightning Express (7/21/87)
    BONUS: The Battle of New Orleans (9/9/87)

So it seems as if I have the match to watch.

Since the topic of Butch Reed is still relevant, it occurred to me why I likely preferred Ron Simmons to Reed. It has nothing to do with their matches or talent, but rather I preferred the Simmons Galoob figure to Reed's.

Wearing purple pants? Pffffft...what a closer. Although now I'm left wondering why Galoob decided to put Doom in sweat pants when they always wore black tights. Whether you did figures when they still wore masks or do them after they unmasked, they still only wore black tights.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Ha! I'm burning through that exact same list myself, or at least the most of it. Also I probably should've given you the Dailymotion link to save you the trouble.

Status

Very much agree on Hogan. I do wonder how much it impacted how some of the more discerning adult fans back in the day perceived him.

I was randomly picking some of those MSW shows and was quite enjoying. I kinda need to go back and watch properly in sequence.

And good lord, is that collection still uploaded anywhere?

So a few more....

Hillbilly Jim
    Junkyard Dog
    Wendi Richter
    Nikita Koloff
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Also I probably should've given you the Dailymotion link to save you the trouble.
    Yeah! You dick.

Very much agree on Hogan. I do wonder how much it impacted how some of the more discerning adult fans back in the day perceived him.
    I can't imagine there were too many of them in the mid 80s that wasn't into Hogan. By the early 90s, you could occasionally hear them, but it seemed like such a small portion of fans that weren't in to his act. Those that weren't into his act, like subscribers of the Wrestling Observer, were likely watching more JCP than WWE.

And good lord, is that collection still uploaded anywhere?
    Looks like there's still a few seeders on the torrent over at XWT Classics. Due to virtually all of the weeklies now out for Mid South, I don't know how popular that DVDVR set is anymore though. I wonder how many other DVDVR lists there were. I know I loved their top WWE matches of the 80s set a decade ago.

Hillbilly Jim
    One of a handful of wrestlers' whose autograph I have. Hillbilly Jim had just dreadful timing. Came into the company in 1984 as Hogan's new bestie, but before they could do much, he broke his leg. Even though they created an entire stable around him, he was never the same after the broken leg push wise. He had a fun personality though despite not being good in the ring. Much like The Bushwhackers, he would have benefited from a heel turn, but considering he's lived off of his wacky babyface character for decades, he's likely glad it never happened.

Junkyard Dog
    There's no denying that he came across as a major star in the WWE, especially the first couple of years. As a worker, I never liked him. He's one of those guys where I know I need to see more in his prime to form a really accurate opinion, but between his run in the WWE and the runs in WCW (Where he managed to drag Ric f'n Flair to a 3/4 * match) doesn't exactly entice me to watch more.

Wendi Richter
    It's difficult to form much of an opinion on Richter because her main time in the WWE lasted a little over a year. It's clear that she was a major star for the WWE. The Brawl to End it All was a huge success to the point that I'm not entirely sure where it ranks anymore when it comes to the highest drawing women's matches in WWE history. Like...does WM 35 beat it out since it had women in its main event, despite the fact that all of its tickets were sold before the match was made and everyone who tuned into the WWE Network, was going to tune in regardless. For The Brawl to End it All, that's the only match that was featured on that special. From a workrate perspective, she was okay. I've certainly seen worse, but she made up for it by being the WWE's sole women's wrestling star for decades.

Nikita Koloff
    I've enjoyed what I've seen of him. Goldberg before there was a Goldberg. I should watch more of his heel days though. His Worldwide 1986 match against Magnum TA alone was rated **** 1/4 by me. So chances are, there's some other gems that I'm unaware of. It's a shame that everything happened in his personal life that cut short his WCW career. I know some people give babyface Nikita a hard time, but he was really reliable at producing good matches in my eyes though.

Status

True on Hogan. I remember someone posting (here, maybe somewhere else) about being a long-time WWF fan in New York and their dad going to basically every MSG show going back into the 70s, being a Sammartino fan, and basically loathing Hogan. So I've always wondered if there was a bit more of that.... but you're right - it doesn't really come through in the crowd reaction to Hogan, so it couldn't have been that widespread.

When I was watching WMI the other day and Richter did the interview with Cyndi Lauper.... don't know if I ever realized how much of a southern accent than she had lol. I think Brawl for All should probably get more love than it does, especially with the Women's Revolution.

I'm not sure why, but when I was still Little Papa, I had this perception of Hillbilly Jim as a big long-time star of the WWF. So that idea still sits there, in the back of my mind, even now that I know its false. Little Papa did sure love him, though.

Think I've talked before about how I basically only got to watch the WWF and Stampede on TV back in the 80s, and would only get to see a bit of NWA stuff here and there. I knew about the top NWA guys from the magazines and being able to rent some video tapes. Papa Papa got a War Games compilation tape somewhere in the later 80s, and man, I watched through that so many times. Koloff was one of the guys who fascinated me as a kid. Growing up in the 80s, the Soiviets were always the BAD GUYS, so having one be a good guy was just.... weird. And he seemed so fucking intense all the time.

Another list....

Rick Martel
    The Greatest Canadian of All Time Dino Bravo
    Jim Neidhardt
    Don Muraco
    Lou Albano
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 149 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 LastLast