Page 141 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141
Results 2,801 to 2,809 of 2809

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

Inspired by ol' Looch

Let's say WWE maintained KOTR as a yearly event (because I know how much you LOVE that PPV haha). Who would you have had win it from 2003 to say 2012? (obvious exceptions being 2006, 2008 and 2010)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Inspired by ol' Looch

Let's say WWE maintained KOTR as a yearly event (because I know how much you LOVE that PPV haha). Who would you have had win it from 2003 to say 2012? (obvious exceptions being 2006, 2008 and 2010)
    I feel like I may have answered something similar before, but I still dig the idea of it. Here's the condition though, the winner of the KOTR will not receive a prize of a World Title shot at Summerslam, unlike in 2002. It just greatly limits who can win the KOTR tournament. It should just be a big accomplishment that someone can use to boost up their career as they advance further up the card. Maybe some years the winner will still go on to face the champion at Summerslam, but it will be a case of Mabel in 1995 or Kurt Angle in 2000 where it wasn't a prize. Also, I think I'm just going to make it a July PPV mostly because of one specific year. Ideally, every year is going to be one side of the bracket being Raw and the other side of the bracket being Smackdown, except for select years. In addition, I'm just going to ignore actual winners unless it fits in with my idea.

2003 - Scott Steiner

I know, an unlikely choice. I originally thought about Randy Orton, but the timing didn't line up too well with Orton only returning in June 2003 from an injury. Instead, we're giving the crown to Raw's Scott Steiner. Steiner is in desperate need of being salvaged after a horrendous several months after returning to the WWE. The KOTR tournament will be designed to get Steiner back on track complete with a heel turn in the finals against fellow face, Smackdown's Chris Benoit which will then kick off a new gimmick for Steiner - King Poppa Pump. It'll work somehow!

2004 - Batista

Perhaps another unlikely choice. We know that Batista is going to have a huge 2005, so lets give him another big accomplishment before the main event push officially begun. Since Batista and John Cena's careers were linked together due to coming to the main roster about the same time, being finalists in the 2005 Rumble, and both winning titles at WM 21, we're also going to unofficially going to begin the rivalry a bit sooner with Batista going over Smackdown's Cena in the finals. Cena can go into the finals injured thanks to whoever he was feuding with on SD at the time (Either Booker T or Kurt Angle) attacking him earlier in the night. Batista can add a crown to his trunks, but otherwise won't alter his gimmick. Online fans will chuckle to themselves as they only refer to him as Kingtista though.

2005 - Rey Mysterio

King in Spanish is "Rey!" Some of the time Mysterio's mask would have a little crown on it! It's perfect! Mysterio brings Smackdown its first KOTR crown in a big Bret Hart like performance defeating a couple of strong SD opponents (Maybe Eddie being one?) before beating Raw's Edge in the finals. Sometimes you need a babyface winning KOTR to make it a feel good moment.

2006 - Test

Oh shit! The KOTR tournament has gone to the extreme! For the first time ever, there's three brackets in the KOTR tournament with the winner of each bracket meeting in a triple threat finals. In this case, it's ECW's Test beating Raw's Carlito and Smackdown's Bobby Lashley to win. Test had just returned to the WWE and he was going to be given a big push on ECW in 2006, but with ECW only having one title, there wasn't much for Test to win to show that he's getting a big push. Now he's got a KOTR tournament to win and a fancy new moniker of "The King of the Extreme" to promote himself as. This can also kick off a Test/Lashley feud, which would cause Lashley to jump over to ECW once it's clear that the brand extension can't keep them apart.

2007 - Umaga

Mid 2007 was about the point where things got weird with Umaga with the WWE seemingly unsure if they want him to be a top star or just a midcard attraction. So lets throw him a KOTR crown to keep him strong. He can defeat ECW's CM Punk and Smackdown's MVP in the finals. You can freshen up Umaga's look a bit with some king references but keeping it in line with his gimmick.

2008 - Jeff Hardy

2008 was a big year for Hardy, but between suspensions and being Triple H's personal bitch, he kept bumping his head on the glass ceiling rather than winning enough accomplishments. So lets give Smackdown's Hardy a big three-way victory over Raw's Chris Jericho and ECW's Matt Hardy as Jeff comes closer and closer to finally winning the WWE World Title by the end of the year. Since Test would have been gone from the WWE for over a year, Hardy's going to take over the title of "The King of the Extreme". Matt's failure to win here, paired with Jeff's eventual success with the WWE Title and using the King of the Extreme title (Despite Matt being on the extreme brand) can give him reason to be the one attacking Jeff at the start of 2009.

2009 - William Regal

Thanks to the suspension, Regal wasn't able to do much after his 2008 KOTR win. By mid 2009, Regal was in a position of being pushed as ECW's #1 heel as he went after Christian's ECW Title. So to kick off that push, he will win the KOTR tournament. But I want to have a bit of fun so I'm going to make this "The most chaotic KOTR EVER~!" Now, the WWE draft happened in April, but we're going to push it back a couple of months instead so that the draft, similar to 2005's weekly draft, would be happening during the KOTR tournament. We're going to take some of WWE's 5000 writers and assign them to carefully plan out a WWE draft/KOTR tournament so that the tournament brackets are constantly changing due to wrestlers starting on one brand, but getting drafted to another while they're in the KOTR tournament. The finals will come down to ECW's William Regal (Originally Raw), Smackdown's John Morrison (Originally ECW), and Raw's MVP (Originally Smackdown). In addition, just for funsies, Regal/Morrison, Regal/MVP, and MVP/Morrison were all originally set to happen earlier in the tournament, but before any of those matches could happen, someone would get drafted to another show, preventing the match from happening. Is it entirely possible to have that line up so perfectly? Who knows, but the WWE has hundreds of writers, so they'd make it happen somehow. So the finals is all about the draft, featuring wrestlers who were drafted to different brands, and featuring a three-way version of matches we were originally promised but were prevented from seeing. It's chaotic~!

2010 - Wade Barrett

I think the timing just works out with Barrett winning NXT season 1, Nexus starting on Raw, and then the KOTR tournament immediately starting. We can even have it that the prize for winning NXT is that whichever brand you decided to go to, you'd be entered in the KOTR tournament. With Nexus' help, Barrett made it to the finals as Raw's finalist against Smackdown's The Big Show. The finals can be a chaotic mess with all of Nexus getting involved before Wade finally won. That gives Nexus an actual accomplishment in these early months and Barrett can refer to himself as King Barrett a lot sooner than he did as he continues his huge 2010. Naturally, since ECW was killed off at the start of 2010, this is the first KOTR since 2005 to have an one-on-one finals.

2011 - Christian

Smackdown's Christian had some odd booking post WM 27, so I think he could benefit from getting another accomplishment in the middle of trading the WHT back and forth with Orton. Former recent WHC Christian can defeat Raw's former recent WWE World Champion Rey Mysterio in the finals to create a fun main event style KOTR finals.

2012 - Tyson Kidd

A surprising year for the KOTR. Since NXT season 5 lasted for ages, we're going to bring back the three-way finals for one last time. Now, NXT season 5 ended in June, so we'll have the final month of NXT be built around a KOTR tournament with Kidd winning to represent the now dead brand against IC Champion Christian and US Champion Dolph Ziggler. This allows Kidd to get a bit of a push and in tribute to Owen, begins to refer himself as The King of Harts. You can then follow that up with Kidd challenging either the US Champion or IC Champion (Which would then be The Miz) at Summerslam 2012.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Thanks for the answer Jim, some good ideas there. One thing I found really difficult when attempting it myself was the surprising amount of tournaments/big events that took place around the June/July timeframe. It gave you an idea of who they were pushing at the time, but do you simply ignore it and move on? It's why I stopped at 2012 because at that point it's essentially gonna be one of the MitB winners.

My first thought for 2003 was Christian as he was just getting his first proper push as a singles wrestler, but does that mean I ignore him winning the IC title at the same time for example?

I thoroughly approve of 2006 being an ECW guy, makes perfect sense to establish a player on the new brand. Just disagree with Test cause I always hated this particular run of his.

Funny you picked Umaga in 2007, because I had a hoss of my own in mind that year, although mine was Khali so yours is probably more ideal

I had Rey down as a potential 2009 winner but agree he would have been a great choice any year.

2011 I just had Del Rio, because fuck it they had him win everything else then

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Thanks for the answer Jim, some good ideas there. One thing I found really difficult when attempting it myself was the surprising amount of tournaments/big events that took place around the June/July timeframe. It gave you an idea of who they were pushing at the time, but do you simply ignore it and move on? It's why I stopped at 2012 because at that point it's essentially gonna be one of the MitB winners.
    I can see that problem, but it's also why I took away the prize of getting a World Title shot. It gave me a little more freedom of just using KOTR to push someone rather than having to pick someone who would either shortly win a World Title or be seen as a failure and not win the title. Like with Test in 2006, I wouldn't push him into World Title matches, but the KOTR would still serve the purpose of giving him a boost.

My first thought for 2003 was Christian as he was just getting his first proper push as a singles wrestler, but does that mean I ignore him winning the IC title at the same time for example?
    Although I didn't think about Christian this time around, I'm almost positive that I thought about him when I previously thought about who could have been the 2003 KOTR winner. He didn't need the KOTR though since he won the IC Title to go along with his push. Instead, KOTR could be used to give a boost to someone like Steiner, who as a result wouldn't need to be near a title to still be pushed.

I thoroughly approve of 2006 being an ECW guy, makes perfect sense to establish a player on the new brand. Just disagree with Test cause I always hated this particular run of his.
    Eh, I'm not fond of Test winning KOTR, but he was still pushed hard in 2006 so giving him some sort of official accomplishment just made sense.

Funny you picked Umaga in 2007, because I had a hoss of my own in mind that year, although mine was Khali so yours is probably more ideal
    Considering Khali won the WHC the same month of KOTR 2007, he wouldn't have needed the KOTR crown too. Not to mention I feel it would have been easier to alter Umaga's gimmick a bit to make him into a Samoan King of sorts to go along with the KOTR win.

2011 I just had Del Rio, because fuck it they had him win everything else then
    Yeah, he would have made sense in 2011, but he was already winning the Rumble, MITB, and the WWE Title in 2011. This sort of fantasy question isn't all the much fun if you just go with the most obvious pick. I tried to always pick someone who needed some sort of boost and with 2011, it seemed like a good time to give Christian an extra boost that Orton couldn't just take away from him.
    ---

Even though you didn't ask for it, since I do have some ideas to keep KOTR fresh, I'll continue for 2013-2018.

2013 - Ryback

Super easy pick since they spent a large portion of 2012 building Ryback up hard and then spent late 2012/early 2013 completely ruining him to the point that not only did Ryback never recover, but he spent awhile teaming with Curtis f'n Axel in a nothing team. Giving Ryback not only a PPV win, but an accomplishment of becoming the KOTR would be an attempt to salvage him before it's too late. Have him beat Chris Jericho in the finals, with the format once again back to one-on-one since there's not really any brands going at the time.

2014 - Bray Wyatt

The first KOTR of the WWE Network Era which means...more format changes~! With NXT now on the WWE Network and being far more well known than they were the previous year, the KOTR is now back to being brand vs brand with a WWE bracket and a NXT bracket. Bray, along with help from the Wyatt Family, will be beating Sami Zayn in the finals to help boost Wyatt back up after being hurt having a losing program against John Cena and Zayn can continue his gimmick of choking in the big matches as they build up to his eventual NXT Title win at the end of 2014.

2015 - Kevin Owens

Another year of WWE vs NXT. This will be the final night that Owens represents NXT and he makes the finals of the KOTR tournament against John Cena. Forget about their second match at MITB. This will instead be booked as Owens/Cena II, with everyone naturally assuming that Cena is getting his win back, but instead Owens beats him again to not only make up for his recent NXT Title loss to Finn Balor, but to officially promote him to the main roster as a top star.

2016 - Asuka

Since Stephanie McMahon allowed women to get into sports, it was decided that it's only fair to determine a Queen of the Ring the same year that Divas was killed off in favor of referring to women as superstars. From this point forward, KOTR and QOTR will alternate years. In the third year of WWE vs NXT, Asuka continued her dominance by defeating Sasha Banks in the finals to not only give a huge finals match, but also protecting Charlotte/Asuka for when Asuka actually comes up to the main roster. Asuka can be referred to as the Empress of the Ring instead of queen.

2017 - Shinsuke Nakamura

Yeah, it feels a bit cheap to have him win the year after Asuka since they'd both win the Rumble in 2018, but it still makes sense since he just came up to the main roster and was being prepped for a couple of failures in WWE Title programs. So lets just give Nak a big win shortly after coming up to the main roster. Since the brand extension is in full gear again, the format is reverting back to three brackets with a triple threat finals. SD's Nak will beat Raw's The Miz and NXT's Johnny Gargano because Gargano is always a good loser.

2018 - Ruby Riott

I obviously don't watch much current WWE, but it seems as if the WWE is high on Riott, but not quite high enough that they want her to be a champion. I imagine if there was a midcard women's title, she'd dominate it. Since she needs some sort of accomplishment that doesn't mean a championship, having her become the second ever Queen of the Ring is ideal to me. She can beat SD's Asuka and NXT's Nikki Cross to win the crown. Beating Asuka will be a nice boost for Riott and it's not as if it's a big deal to have Asuka lose anymore. Cross making it to the finals is just good enough for her since the winner of that bracket could have easily been one of the more important NXT women.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Marshall Islands

Ever considered reviewing some feuds from show to show ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Loocha Bear View Post
    Ever considered reviewing some feuds from show to show ?
    I can't say I've ever seriously considered doing it mostly because that's something that would take a good amount of planning to figure out what segments to cover. Ideally, it would be a WWE Network collection, which I have started a couple of incomplete reviews of WWE Network collections before. Ideally, I think this would be better for something non-WWE so that I'm covering all stuff I haven't seen before. I'm not going to cover it since I have zero desire to watch that BS, but such a feud review thread that this would be ideal for is that broken Hardy shit from TNA a few years ago. If I had a subscription to a different wrestling streaming service, like ROH's Honor Club, I could just skip the full shows and put together my own comp reviews.

Idk. In order to do something like this, I'd really need someone to give me an actual assignment preferably with not only a topic, but a list of segments/matches.

Established Veteran

Status

Your thoughts on the DX reunion in October 1999? I didn’t like it back then but later started to enjoy DX following Survivor Series. It just didn’t make sense though as HHH turned on X-Pac at WrestleMania 15. HHH had evolved and become a main eventer. Then in October, DX are back together. It ruined X-Pac who shouldn’t have turned heel. By that point, X-Pac and The Outlaws were nothing but HHH’s lackeys. It was more about keeping HHH on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaro View Post
    Your thoughts on the DX reunion in October 1999? I didn’t like it back then but later started to enjoy DX following Survivor Series. It just didn’t make sense though as HHH turned on X-Pac at WrestleMania 15. HHH had evolved and become a main eventer. Then in October, DX are back together. It ruined X-Pac who shouldn’t have turned heel. By that point, X-Pac and The Outlaws were nothing but HHH’s lackeys. It was more about keeping HHH on top.

I agree. The return of DX wasn't good for multiple reasons. The big one being that DX went from being a vehicle to promote multiple people to just being Triple H's faction. Neither the Outlaws nor X-Pac were pushed as their own stars, but rather there just to ensure that Triple H could win matches and titles. There's also the flaw of DX no longer fitting their original identity. The same could be said about their 2006 return. DX was no longer about a bunch of generates looking to disobey everyone and defy authority. Thanks to Triple H and Stephanie's kayfabe marriage, DX essentially became the authority. Look at the lyrics of the DX theme song. It's all about being rebels. As you said though, another huge problem of this version of DX is that it killed X-Pac's overness. He went from being essentially the #3 most over babyface (Although it gets a bit messy based on whether Foley or Rock were heels) to being forced into being a heel again. His popularity was never the same and the whole term of "X-Pac Heat" was born as result. Ultimately, did anyone actually benefit from the return of DX? The Outlaws and X-Pac certainly didn't, but it's not as if they were supposed to get anything out it. I'd even say Triple H failed to get anything from it since it wasn't until the start of 2000 when he started to put on really strong performances and had the marriage to Stephanie that fans finally started to buy into his overpush.

I can understand wanting to give Triple H a faction to try and get him over, but he should have been given new allies instead of old ones. Based on the time period though, I'm wondering if DX was reformed simply because the WWE was unsure what to do. In early October '99, you had the sudden change of Vince Russo leaving the WWE without any proper notice and taking his ideas of what was set to happen in the next few months with him. Then at the end of October '99, you had the random heel turns of NAO and X-Pac. Maybe it ended up being a poor decision, but it was a poor decision that was made in a panic state of not knowing what else to do. Luckily, WWE ended up still having an alright 2000 despite fucking up what could have been a valuable asset in X-Pac.

Established Veteran

Status

I’ve been watching a lot of WWF segments from 1999. I wasn’t sold on HHH as WWE Champion when he first won the title the night after SummerSlam 99. Sure he evolved as a main eventer, just didn’t think it was the right time for him to win the belt. It’s a month difference but he should have won his first WWE title at Unforgiven. That was the right time for him to win the belt. Foley should have just held the belt for a month, that way Vince doesn’t become champion lol. The 6 pack challenge win should have been HHH’s first WWE title win instead of his 2nd title win. That’s when I was sold on HHH as champion.

I was a big fan of X-Pac and D-lo Brown. Two popular midcard acts. Hated how they turned X-Pac heel. He won a 4 way match at No Mercy, a match he wasn’t expected to win. They should have continued to build on his momentum but they turned him heel. Following No Mercy, if X-Pac didn’t turn heel, how would you have booked X-Pac till the end of his WWE run in 2002? You can turn him heel(up to you) whenever you like but he didn’t need the heel turn in late 99 or 2000.

Thread Information