Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II - December 28th 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada

BTB Legend

Status

Ufc UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II - December 28th 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Chris Weidman © (184) vs. Anderson Silva (185) – for the UFC Middleweight Championship
    Anderson Silva by TKO in Round 2
    UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship: Ronda Rousey © (135) vs. Miesha Tate (135) – for the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship
    Ronda Rousey by Submission in Round 2
    Heavyweight: Travis Browne (242) vs. Josh Barnett (252)
    Josh Barnett by Submission in Round 2
    Lightweight: Fabricio Camoes (156) vs. Jim Miller (156)
    Fabricio Camoes by Submission in Round 3
    Featherweight Diego Brandao (153*) vs. Dustin Poirier (146)
    Diego Brandao by Split Decision

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Middleweight: Uriah Hall (185) vs. Chris Leben (185.5)
    Uriah Hall by TKO in Round 2
    Lightweight: Michael Johnson (156) vs. Gleison Tibau (156)
    Gleison Tibau by Unanimous Decision
    Featherweight: Manny Gamburyan (146) vs. Dennis Siver (145)
    Dennis Siver by TKO in Round 1
    Welterweight: Siyar Bahadurzada (171) vs. John Howard (171)
    Siyar Bahadurzada by TKO in Round 3

PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie, 7 p.m. ET)

Welterweight: Bobby Voelker (171) vs. William Macario (171)
    William Macario by TKO in Round 2
    Featherweight Estevan Payan (145) vs. Robert Peralt (145.5)
    Robbie Peralta by Unanimous Decision

*: That’s not a typo; Brandao missed weight by a mile and then some. No immediate word on what penalty he’ll face, but we already know he won’t be eligible for any post-fight bonuses.

Other weigh-in notes: The announcement for the women’s fight got the second biggest cheers, but not by much; Tate got strong cheers but also noticeable booing; Rousey got a strong reaction too, but slightly more booing than cheers; if Tate is in Rousey’s head, Rousey did a very good job of not showing it; Silva got good cheers; Weidman got very strong boos and only minor cheers. Weidman was the total heel to the fans.

It’s the year end pay-per-view for the UFC, and Dana White has publically claimed that UFC 168 will beat UFC’s current record number of buys, 1,600,000, which is held by UFC 100. Will it? Well, it has a decent shot because UFC 168 is headlined by what is definitely one of the most eagerly anticipated rematches in UFC history, as Chris Weidman looks to prove that it wasn’t a fluke at UFC 162 when he shocked the world by upsetting Anderson Silva to become the new UFC Middleweight Champion. Going into that fight, there were very few people who seriously gave Weidman a chance; UFC sent out a pre-show press release of fighters making their predictions, all of whom picked Weidman to win, but almost nobody took that to be anything more than UFC trying to hype the event, because they were about the only people who, on the face of it, were seriously picking Weidman to win. Well, whether they were serious or not, and GSP, who is friends with Weidman was definitely serious, they were right on the money as Weidman upset the odds to knock Anderson Silva out cold in the second round.

In the first fight, Anderson Silva, was, well, Anderson Silva; he bobbed and weaved to excess, and kept his hands down in a manner that goes against what they normally train you to do, doing exactly what he did against Patrick Cote, Thales Leites, Demian Maia, Stephan Bonnar, fighters he believed, quite rightly on those occasions, were no threat to him whatsoever. Rich Franklin was no threat to him, either, but Silva either knew enough not to take a chance or he respected Franklin and felt no need to try embarrass him. It’s a style that has earned more critics than praise in recent years, mostly because it went from being about showing off to being about embarrassing the other fighter, and when Silva did the same thing against Weidman, people groaned at the expectation of another dire fight with Silva more into showing off and showing up his opponent. But then something crazy happened; it backfired, and in a way that nobody saw coming or expected against a wrestler like Weidman. It backfired when, with Silva faking like he was hurt and bobbing and weaving like he was having a grand old time, Weidman landed a left hook that knocked Silva down and rocked him, and it backfired even more when Weidman landed a diving punch that knocked Silva out cold and sent the crowd into a wild frenzy as one of the biggest upsets in UFC history played out.

In the second fight, most people expect Silva to forget all about the ga-ga, turn it on, and batter Weidman en route to reclaiming the gold. And if Silva does fight at his best and drop all the ga-ga then, yes, he almost certainly should beat Weidman and that is the most likely outcome. It’s the one I’ve gone for. However, there is one other possible outcome, and it’s one that, maybe, the first fight showed us the first sign of. Maybe, in the first fight, it wasn’t so much the ga-ga that cost Silva, though it didn’t help. Maybe Anderson Silva just got old. It happens to every fighter, no matter how good they are; Father Time eventually beats them all. It’s possible that the Anderson Silva who did his clowning around in the Bonnar fight and the Maia fights would have beaten Weidman, but in the first fight, maybe it wasn’t that Anderson Silva doing the clowning around. Maybe it was the Anderson Silva who got old. The Anderson Silva who couldn’t quite duck out of the way in time, who couldn’t quite pull off the fancy tricks that had previously earned him praise and then ire. And even if it was simply bad timing on his part, and it was simple poetic justice for all of his previous clowning around, and he didn’t get old in July, there still remains the chance that Anderson Silva, who is 38-years-old, will become old on Saturday night, and if that is the case, maybe turning it on won’t really matter.

In the co-main event is another hotly anticipated rematch, especially hotter if you watched the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter, as Ronda Rousey defends the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship against Miesha Tate. The first fight was for the Strikeforce version of this title, and it was a fight that Ronda talked herself into, and she also talked herself into a rivalry with Tate that remains quite personal and as viewers of TUF 18 can especially attest to, these women do not like each at all.

The general feeling towards both women when it came to TUF is that Tate came off quite well and appeared reasonably nice, whilst Rousey came off quite badly, like a jerk at times, with some thinking that Rousey’s image has taken a serious hit because she’s now far less likeable. And whilst I can see how that might be the case, I find myself being in the minority because I thought Tate came off as incredibly insincere and fake and almost unbearable at times, whilst Rousey, whether you like or dislike how she came off, you never once thought Rousey was, in any way, being insincere. And I became an even bigger fan of Rousey after seeing the kind of drive, albeit borderline insane drive, that she has, and there are going to be people who will that kind of dedicated athlete will appeal to.

There also seems to be the belief that Tate got in Rousey’s head during TUF, and whilst what we saw on screen bore that out, you have to keep in mind the judicious use of editing for dramatic effect on a show like that. Plus, even if things were as is, and Tate got into Rousey’s head, you would have to think, and expect, that Rousey would have wised up since then and realized what was going on. Which plays into the fight because if Tate was in Rousey’s head and remains in her head, then Rousey might get reckless and crazy and leave herself open to something, and with Tate the better striker, that’s a real possibility. But if all Tate did was simply piss Rousey off and not get in her head, simply make even more determined, if that’s possible, to win, then Tate could be in for a very bad evening.

One other aspect to think about is that Rousey has been out of action for almost year and has been living the life of a star, filming a movie, etc, and combat sports are filled with examples of great fighters who come back from being treated like a star and get complacent, lazy, and, ultimately, get beaten by opponents they have no business losing to. This effect is greatly compounded if the fighter in question, like Rousey, is completely unused to such an experience, to having everything they want at hand. Could this effect Rousey? Yes, it could, as it has affected so many others, but Rousey might be the exception to the rule because of how crazy her drive and determination is.

Even with that, I don’t expect an upset; since their first fight, Rousey has only got better, and while Tate should have improved as well, I don’t think she’ll ever improve enough to beat Rousey or at least avoid the armbar. It’s possible this fight goes into the second round, and Tate thinks Rousey will be lost if it the fight goes that far, having never been out of the first round, possibly gassing out or just not knowing how to react to not winning in quick fashion, but even if the fight does get out of the first round, it’s equally possible that if Tate doesn’t then win it when she seems to think she should have her best chance to, that she could be the one to crack and come unglued.

In the third fight from the top, Josh Barnett takes on Travis with the winner currently scheduled to take on Fabricio Werdum for the next shot at Cain Velasquez and the UFC Heavyweight Championship. This fight is fairly straightforward to predict, in that Barnett is a dangerous submission fighter and Browne’s submission defense is, whilst unknown, likely not up to the challenge Barnett will bring, and conversely, Barnett isn’t that sharp on the stand-up whilst Browne can not only take a good shot but give several good ones in return; the Antonio Silva loss, by TKO, should really get an asterisk next to it because Brown tore his hamstring almost right away, and was fighting the majority of that fight on one leg. If Browne can keep Barnett at a distance, he should be able to outpoint him and get the Unanimous Decision, but I don’t see Browne being able to do that for three rounds; at some point, Barnett is going to get him down to the ground, at which point, Browne is either going to get tapped or he’s going shock a lot of people and block Barnett’s submissions. And that’s a shock I don’t expect to see; I see Barnett tapping Brown out on the ground to set up what should be a really interesting fight against Fabricio Werdum.

Miller/Camoes should be good and Brandao/ Poirier could be awesome, so UFC 168, the PPV card, looks quite stacked, and it could be one of the better PPV’s of the year.

On the undercard, the main fight there is Uriah Hall against Chris Leben; to say Hall has been disappointing so far is a major understatement, as he has completely failed to live up to the hype generated during TUF 17. Leben is shot so this fight is a last, desperate attempt to try and salvage something out of Hall, with UFC no doubt hoping like mad that Hall can finally pull out the kind of devastating KO finish he became famous for on TUF 17; if Hall can’t pull it out here against Leben, then even if he wins, I would cut the cord on Hall and let him go, because if you can’t deliver the goods against Leben, you’re not delivering the goods against anyone. I’m also looking forward to Siver/Gamburyan, but that’s almost entirely because I want to see the world’s grumpiest midget knocked into the middle of next year.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Re: UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II - December 28th 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada

Brandao was almost up a whole damn weight class. He fight at lightweight with how much he missed by.

But interesting weigh-ins and I cannot fuckin' wait for tomorrow night.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

First card in a long time that has me excited. Usually thesedays there's just one, maybe two fights worth watching and then a bunch of jobber fights, nut this is a stacked card.

We Are Mythology

Status
      Country                    us=United States

If Silva goes into the fight to win big, he could end the fight in the first round.

Heel Champion

Status

Estevan Payan vs Robbie Peralta - Peralta by 2nd round TKO
    Bobby Voelker vs William Patolino - Voelker by Split Decision
    Siyar Bahadurza vs John Howard - Howard by Unanimous decision
    Manny Gamburyan vs Dennis Siver - Siver by Split Decision
    Michael Johnson vs Gleison Tibau - Tibau by Unanimous Decision - I so want to say Michael here, But we all know how Tibau fights and why he is going to win this
    Uriah Hall vs Chris Leben - Hall by 1st round KO
    Diego Brandao vs Dustin Poirier - Dustin by Unanimous Decision - I wanted Diego to win this TBH, But after he missed weight. He does not deserve it IMO
    Fabricio Camoes vs Jim Miller - Camoes by 2nd round Sub - I think Miller like Maynard is on the decline, And Camoes is crafty enough to catch him
    Travis Browne vs Josh Barnett - Barnett by 1st round Sub - Browne is very over rated IMO. Not a fan of his. Barnett takes this.
    Ronda Rousey vs Meisha Tate - Rousey by 2nd round Sub - I so wanted to say Meisha takes this. But I can't see it happening
    Chris Weidman vs Anderson Silva - Weidman by 3rd round TKO - I'm going to say Weidman gets a takedown and stops him with strikes. Then again he came uber close with that knee bar last time it might be by sub.

Fearless University

Status

How to fight Ronda Rousey:

Siyar Bahadurza
    Dennis Siver
    Uriah Hall by 1st round KO
    Josh Barnett by 1st round Sub
    Ronda Rousey by 1st round armbar
    Anderson Silva by 1st round KO, letting Weidman go back to his mentor Serra so the two can fondly remember the nights they overachieved together.

Its a minority but cant believe there are people writing off Anderson completely and acting like he has zero chance.

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Swinny View Post
    Brandao was almost up a whole damn weight class. He fight at lightweight with how much he missed by.
    I was sure I had misheard when his weight was announced, especially when Poirier was then announced at 146; I thought I'd misheard and that Brandao was coming at 143 and was very light. No excuse is good enough for coming in eight pounds over the weight limit.

BTB of the Year 2012

Fearless University

Status

The UFC finally has a hot ring girl, turning down the Warmasters socks (could have sold those) and getting excited by a stripping Rousey.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Vanessa Hanson is my girlfriend guys, Dana gave me a blow to get her to work for him.

As for this card, WAR CHRIS LEBEN!!!

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Coming in eight pounds over weight is completely unacceptable. A bad weight cut can explain a couple pounds but there is no excuses for eight pounds. That's ridiculous.

Status

Maybe grandma made him some chocolate cake.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Rogan's face there is hilarious. :p

And predictions are forthcoming.

Status

I got:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Weidman via Submission in Rd 4
    Tate via TKO Rd 2
    Barnett via UD
    Miller via UD
    Poirier via UD

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

THE ZOMBIE GOAT CHRIS LEBEN VIA TRIANGLE CHOKE RD 1
    MJ via UD
    Siver via UD
    Bahadurzada via KO in Rd 1

PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie, 7 p.m. ET)

Voelker via UD
    Peralta via TKO Rd 3

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Shake I <3 you for being the only other person making the right choice and picking Tate. :P

Robbie Peralta vs. Estevan Payan - Robbie Peralta by Decision
    Bobby Voelker vs. William Patolino - Bobby Voelker by 2nd round KO/TKO
    John Howard vs. Siyar Bahadurzada - John Howard by Decision
    Dennis Siver vs. Manny Gamburyan - Dennis Siver by Decision
    Gleison Tibau vs. Michael Johnson - Gleison Tibau by 3rd round submission
    Chris Leben vs. Uriah Hall - Chris Leben by 1st round KO/TKO
    Dustin Poirier vs. Diego Brandao - Dusti Poirier by 3rd round submission
    Jim Miller vs. Fabricio Camoes - Jim Miller by 2nd round submission
    Travis Browne vs. Josh Barnett - Josh Barnett by 1st round KO/TKO
    Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate II - Miesha Tate by 1st round submission
    Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva II - Anderson Silva by 2nd round KO/TKO

BTB Legend

Status

I could see Tate finishing Rousey with strikes but I can't see her coming close to tapping Rousey out.

BTB of the Year 2012

Status

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post
    I could see Tate finishing Rousey with strikes but I can't see her coming close to tapping Rousey out.
    Carmouche came pretty damn close, so I'm hoping Tate can do the same. All it takes is one mistake from Ronda and if she comes in pissed off and over-aggressive that could definitely happen.

First fight happening. Payan vs. Peralta.

BTB Legend

Status

I'll call it right now; Rousey will pass out rather than tap to Tate.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Peralta finishes it right away in the third in a fight that could have gone either way had it gone to the judges.

BTB of the Year 2012

Status

God damn! Was just about to say I think Payan won the first two rounds and Peralta needed to come out and get the knockout and then... BAM! Very nice.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Miesha choked Ronda out cold rather than her tapping.

Status

Damn, this Daffy Duck kid is looking sharp. I thought Voelker had this one in the bag, but not so much at all so far.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information