Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TNA and MMA: Match Made in Heaven or Hell (Formerly the "MEM Loves MMA A LOT" Thread)

Intercontinental Champion

Status

TNA and MMA: Match Made in Heaven or Hell (Formerly the "MEM Loves MMA A LOT" Thread)

He is six foot and eight inches of muscle and ox semen. He is everything a wrestling promoter would want. I think the WWE are smart to pursue signing him, and if they don't then TNA should, but the issue that Scherr highlights is the double standard in industry think. Nobody has a negative thing to say about Scherr but everyone in the internet wrestling community is crying a river about TNA signing these former MMA world champions-- even Jim Ross decided he needed to comment on TNA's signing of Rampage Jackson, saying, “Hope it works for all involved but training a 35 year old to be a pro wrestler isn’t easy and takes a full time effort. Best of luck nonetheless.”

It takes a lot of gall to say that about someone who has earned championship gold with his amateur wrestling and then turn around and try to sign a strongman with no wrestling experience whatsoever.

Is all of this really just about a lot of people in the wrestling industry feeling threatened by these guys? Is the real fear that (TNA) wrestling is going somewhere with this that there is no coming back from-- that this is going to be the thing that pays off for this company? Where is the fear of Scherr being world champion? He very well could be in a couple of years. WCW did the same thing with the unknown and totally inexperienced Paul Wight.
    Last edited by Mister Sinister; 08-04-2013 at 03:24 AM.

i love moms

Status

Re: Where is the Outrage Over WWE Pursuing Strongman Adam Scherr?

signing a guy with no pro wrestling experience to a developmental contract is not the same thing as signing a guy with no pro wrestling experience and immediately putting him in a major storyline
    Last edited by Drake; 08-04-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    I basically live out my internet life to gain Jake's approval.
    [10:54 PM] Yeezus: these bitches love Jake, hit em with that cobra now that boy slumped ova

Status

Possibly because the latter knows how to do wrestling moves already...

i love moms

Status

lol oh right

[10:54 PM] Yeezus: these bitches love Jake, hit em with that cobra now that boy slumped ova

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    signing a guy with no pro wrestling experience to a developmental contract is not the same thing as signing a guy with no pro wrestling and immediately putting him in a major storyline
    Couldn't of put it any better myself.

If WWE signed this guy, you wouldn't see him for at last a year. Think about Big E Langston, he's one pretty huge dude and did professional powerlifting before he was a wrestler, but he signed in 2009 and had a good 3 years training in FCW/NXT before we saw him on TV because he had zero wrestling background.

That's the difference.

Let's look at all of the differences between Tito Ortiz and Adam Scherr.

- Who even knows who Adam Scherr is?

- WWE hasn't signed Scherr yet.

- Scherr isn't yet another power lifter signed to the WWE after two previous signings that hasn't done much in the company.

- Scherr wasn't hyped up as yet another surprise disappointment.

- If Scherr is signed, he's going to become a regular wrestler.

- Ortiz was brought in solely because he signed a deal with Bellator. Ortiz will not be a regular wrestler. He's here solely to promote the Bellator fight.

- WWE hasn't had to release several guys and perform other cost cutting measures.

- Scherr is ten years younger than Ortiz (You of all people should care about that)

The reason why there isn't any outrage is because there isn't a reason for any outrage. WWE possibly signing Scherr isn't comparable at all with Ortiz coming back to TNA.

WAKE UP

Status

This is literally the first I am hearing of this news. Is any credible source reporting it?

signing a guy with no pro wrestling experience to a developmental contract is not the same thing as signing a guy with no pro wrestling and immediately putting him in a major storyline
    Pretty much bang on yeah. WWE atleast attempt to train guys up.

Quote Originally Posted by MainEventMoney View Post
    Possibly because the latter knows how to do wrestling moves already...
    What was the last pro wrestling match Rampage Jackson or Mo had? I don't think you know the difference bewteen pro wrestling and MMA. One is legit, one is a work. They require different types of training. If I sound like I am being patronizing, it's because you deserve to be patronized for making such a stupid comment.

Now, there have been guys who have crossed over from MMA to pro wres successfully, but the majority of guys who have done it have blown. Rampage certainly has the personality for it, but does he know who to do worked strikes, take bumps, milk holds, catch opponents, etc. Does he even know how to run ropes? Becuase those are the basic shit that WWE will train a guy to do.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 08-04-2013 at 05:18 AM.

i love moms

Status

plus that strongman shit is cool in a weird kinda way. and mma is fucking stupid

Underdog

Status

plus that strongman shit is cool in a weird kinda way. and mma is fucking stupid
    In what way is MMA stupid? In general or in a professional wrestling context?

Simply The Greatest

Status

There is an obvious difference. Nobody knows who this is. If he goes to TNA they will hype the crap out of him. They hyped up a bum MMA fighter essentially tearing apart the roster. They hyped up Jesse being a huge celebrity. If I went to TNA they would probably send out mobile alerts that a lifetime undefeated wrestler is coming. When WWE signed Monty Brown, it was a news item on their website. When TNA signed Anderson (who got fired unlike Brown), they wanted people to spend $40 to find out the surprise.

Status

So it's a strike against TNA for signing guys that can shoot wrestle with Kurt Angle or Joe off the bat? And a strike against them for being big names?

Tito isn't just there to promote for Bellator-- this is a net positive for TNA in terms of publicity and visibility. At the end of the day, the WWE brings in people like Kurt Angle or Adam Scherr, makes stars of them and nobody complains. When TNA tries to generate original talent-- tries to sign wrestlers that aren't former WWE guys, and the core fans have nothing but negative things to say.

Quote Originally Posted by The Best Around View Post
    There is an obvious difference. Nobody knows who this is. If he goes to TNA they will hype the crap out of him. They hyped up a bum MMA fighter essentially tearing apart the roster. They hyped up Jesse being a huge celebrity. If I went to TNA they would probably send out mobile alerts that a lifetime undefeated wrestler is coming. When WWE signed Monty Brown, it was a news item on their website. When TNA signed Anderson (who got fired unlike Brown), they wanted people to spend $40 to find out the surprise.
    Calling Jesse Goderz a celebrity was an intentional joke. They weren't serious.
    Last edited by Mister Sinister; 08-04-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

So it's a strike against TNA for signing guys that can shoot wrestle with Kurt Angle or Joe off the bat?
    You think that'll happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

HOSS MOD

Status

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've said this about a dozen times already, but I feel that I haven't quite made myself clear. So, permit me to try, once again, to get this point across to you, MEM:

SHOOT WRESTLING IS NOT PRO WRESTLING.

Shoot wrestling's not the same thing as pro wrestling. MMA is NOT the same thing as pro wrestling. Pro wrestling can, has, and will continue to borrow elements from shoot wrestling and MMA as it evolves, but they're not interchangeable. Pro wrestling's not really even wrestling. It's battle theater. It's a performance designed to illicit emotional responses from the crowd in the form of scripted and planned out matches, storylines, gimmicks, and characters. It's not an actual fight that takes place inside of the ring. The moves are designed and performed to limit the damage that the other guy is taking while simultaneously get the crowd engrossed in the action.

So really, what exactly is the point of bringing up whether somebody can shoot wrestling somebody as a point to argue that they're ready to be apart of a pro wrestling program?

Steve said it best earlier as to the basic fundamentals of working a professional wrestling match, and Jim's already explained the difference between WWE signing this strongman vs bombarding our PRO WRESTLING program with MMA fighters solely to put over an MMA fight with a different company that the parent television company happens to own. So yeah, I won't bother reiterating that point. But again, say it with me kids:

Shoot wrestling. And MMA. Are not the same thing as. Pro Wrestling.

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I was strongly disappointed by this, MEM, because it's going to lead nowhere and I was hoping for someone like Low Ki.

I'll give you this though, I'm not "outraged" and neither should anyone else. It was hyped for less than a week. They didn't spend a month on Ortiz, they spent four days. It's okay.

WAKE UP

Status

So it's a strike against TNA for signing guys that can shoot wrestle with Kurt Angle or Joe off the bat? And a strike against them for being big names?
    Do you know the difference between pro wrestling and MMA?

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Do you know the difference between pro wrestling and MMA?
    Bare feet.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Underdog

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Ecstasy View Post
    Bare feet.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Hall View Post
    They didn't know the difference either.

Underdog

Status

I would pay good money to see a Wild Samoan in MMA.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T;2103358191[B
    ]Okay, I'm pretty sure I've said this about a dozen times already, but I feel that I haven't quite made myself clear. So, permit me to try, once again, to get this point across to you, MEM:[/B]

SHOOT WRESTLING IS NOT PRO WRESTLING.

Shoot wrestling's not the same thing as pro wrestling. MMA is NOT the same thing as pro wrestling. Pro wrestling can, has, and will continue to borrow elements from shoot wrestling and MMA as it evolves, but they're not interchangeable. Pro wrestling's not really even wrestling. It's battle theater. It's a performance designed to illicit emotional responses from the crowd in the form of scripted and planned out matches, storylines, gimmicks, and characters. It's not an actual fight that takes place inside of the ring. The moves are designed and performed to limit the damage that the other guy is taking while simultaneously get the crowd engrossed in the action.

So really, what exactly is the point of bringing up whether somebody can shoot wrestling somebody as a point to argue that they're ready to be apart of a pro wrestling program?

Steve said it best earlier as to the basic fundamentals of working a professional wrestling match, and Jim's already explained the difference between WWE signing this strongman vs bombarding our PRO WRESTLING program with MMA fighters solely to put over an MMA fight with a different company that the parent television company happens to own. So yeah, I won't bother reiterating that point. But again, say it with me kids:

Shoot wrestling. And MMA. Are not the same thing as. Pro Wrestling.
    I'm curious.. how would anyone know that you have explained this? Maybe make it you signature......

Either way there should be out rage. Strong man guys suck. The last one took nearly a decade to even get interesting.

Also its a rule of thumb that TNA gets ridiculed for everything.
    Last edited by indyfan; 08-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Thread Information