Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1231

Thread: The Totally Random Movie Discussion Thread

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: The Totally Random Movie Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    What's everyones thoughts about Disney "reimagining" the likes of Home Alone, Night At The Museum" etc?

Personally, the constant remakes are starting to put me off getting Disney+ big time. I can accept the endless franchise entries to a degree, but the complete lack of creativity from the House of Mouse right now sucks.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Lazy cash grabs, like pretty much anything Disney churns out these days.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Im not the audience for all the remakes. I havent been persuaded to get Disney+ yet, tbh. At most Id get it for a month just to watch the Star Wars and Marvel shows.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

It's definitely the back catalogue that has me. Disney Animation, Pixar, MCU, Star Wars, The Simpsons and potentially stuff like Indiana Jones and Studio Ghibli depending on distribution rights, it's an easy sell to me. I just don't want my money going towards that sort of recycled content.

Still, we're a few years away from it in the UK whilst Disney wind down their exisitng contracts

All About That Ace

Status

It's definitely the back catalogue that has me. Disney Animation, Pixar, MCU, Star Wars, The Simpsons and potentially stuff like Indiana Jones and Studio Ghibli depending on distribution rights, it's an easy sell to me. I just don't want my money going towards that sort of recycled content.

Still, we're a few years away from it in the UK whilst Disney wind down their exisitng contracts

I don't believe Disney has an agreement with Studio Ghibli to distribute their films anymore. Iirc, GKIDS is now Ghibli's distributor in most of the West so I don't expect to see any of their stuff on there. Not to mention Ghibli doesn't do much of putting their stuff on streaming services.

The back catalogue for Disney is obviously impressive, and I'm always happy for another service to allow me to watch older movies that aren't readily available anywhere else, but i mostly just want cool/new/original stuff.

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    I don't believe Disney has an agreement with Studio Ghibli to distribute their films anymore. Iirc, GKIDS is now Ghibli's distributor in most of the West so I don't expect to see any of their stuff on there. Not to mention Ghibli doesn't do much of putting their stuff on streaming services.
    Ah, did not know that, thanks. It's a shame, because they're hard to fund even on streaming rental sites here like Rakuten. Resisting the times seems daft when it means a generation of kids never get to see your work

All About That Ace

Status

Ah, did not know that, thanks. It's a shame, because they're hard to fund even on streaming rental sites here like Rakuten. Resisting the times seems daft when it means a generation of kids never get to see your work

Studio Ghibli has always been some measure of snobby with regards to their films, and that includes distribution. That said, it's challenging to get a lot of anime films on streaming services. Netflix/Funimation are giving us more access fortunately. One day I'd love to just buy the whole Ghibli collection but gotta wait for Miyazaki to retire-retire for that. But I think he'll keep making movies till he cant.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Watched Suspiria the other day. Creepy film but I don't think I fully enjoyed it like most would. Loved the Red motif of the film though. All Red Everything indeed.

[Run]

Status

Pleasantly surprised by how much I liked The Front Runner. Had me asking a lot of questions about media/personal boundaries, the effects of ones personal life on their ability to do their job, etc. Granted, I went into this knowing zero about the whole thing IRL so that probably played a part.

Wrestling Goddest

Status
      Country                    United States

Just saw Booksmart recently. I honestly cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard. I had to cover my mouth with both hands so I didn't bother the neighbors, especially during the scene in the Uber with their principal. I was a very good movie.
    From Cincinnati, comes the most stylish, elegant, bewitching, continuously charismatic, and fantastically fascinating woman to appear in this or any arena. Allow yourself to be seduced, enchanted, dazzled, and entranced by the all pink everything herself...BattleKat

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Just saw Booksmart recently. I honestly cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard. I had to cover my mouth with both hands so I didn't bother the neighbors, especially during the scene in the Uber with their principal. I was a very good movie.
    I agree. Hands down one of my fav straight up comedies in a long time. All the high schooler actors completely smashed it. Lot of potential future stars in there.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

[Run]

Status

Okay, started the Harry Potter films today for the first time. Best ones of the series to give me an idea of how long to give this a chance?

All About That Ace

Status

Okay, started the Harry Potter films today for the first time. Best ones of the series to give me an idea of how long to give this a chance?

Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire are probably good benchmarks for where to stop.

Watched Lighthouse & Parasite yesterday. Absolutely loved Lighthouse. It's my new movie of the year 2019. Parasite was good, easily better than Joker in terms of movies about class warfare, but I wasnt in love with it and Im not sure about the insane praise its getting. I also think I expected a more memorable third act.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I think the whole series is great but there is a big jump in tone from Goblet of Fire and Order of Phoenix.

Will have to check out both films. Been meaning to but been in a Bond groove recently so all my time is into that.
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-12-2020 at 04:09 PM.

The first two are mostly just there to introduce the world and the whole wonder of it all while appealing to the youngest demographics. The third one, also one of the very best, is when things start to get dark with the fourth one continuing the trend. The climax of the fourth one is when the shit gets serious and it's time to truly head into the story of the franchise. The fifth one is mostly there to introduce this new darker world and everyone's roles in it. The sixth one sets up the main objective that needs to be completed if good is to win over bad. Finally, seven and eight is one giant finale that takes the story in new locations.

My favorites has always been Prisoner of Azkaban and The Deathly Hallows Part 1. Both The Order of the Phoenix and The Half-Blood Prince can be pretty frustrating at times as the story is really getting good, but it's becoming very clear that they're adapting these giant books into 2 1/2 hour movies, which seems like a lot, but when the books are 650-800 pages long, it suddenly isn't much time. The result is that you start to notice a lot more being left out. It's also why The Deathly Hallow movies worked better since you had this huge book, but two movies to get in as much of the action as possible. Even though they're lighter in tone, I've grown to appreciate The Sorcerer's Stone and The Chamber of Secrets more since it doesn't feel like giant chunks of the novels are left out of the movie.

Although I'm not saying you should immediately quit, but if you've watched the first one and you can't find anything that you like about it, the series probably won't be for you. I imagine most people realize pretty quickly whether the series will be something they'll dig or not.

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Although I'm not saying you should immediately quit, but if you've watched the first one and you can't find anything that you like about it, the series probably won't be for you. I imagine most people realize pretty quickly whether the series will be something they'll dig or not.
    Watched the first today. It was okay, nice family stuff that, as you said, sets up the world going forward. Glad to hear it's the third/fourth ones though that'll really help me decide what's what.

All About That Ace

Status

Watched Ad Astra today. Ouff. What a waste of money. Super pretty movie though. Such a mundane story with a lot of dumb moments. Seen the daddy issue story being told a million times better in duller settings.

Spoiler:

Peak stupidity in this movie is Brad Pitt getting an entire crew killed just so he could go see his mass murdering father. Extra peak stupidity is the runner of the Mars facility encouraging it for absolutely no reason. The guy who murdered your parents is about to get killed, why the fuck are you helping his son get to him?

Disappointed I ended up watching this.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Just watched Drive Angry. Honestly 10/10. Not because its actually great, but it was just really, really fun.

I've been watching a lot of recent Nic Cage movies lately and they're all in some way completely ridiculous, but also all kinds of awesome.

Also saw Jumanji II recently. Rock and Kev really steal the show. They could do anything together and its watchable. Kevin Hart played the role of being Danny Glover perfectly. I cant quite explain it but you knew he was being Danny Glovers character with every single thing he said and did.

And saw Bad Boys III as well recently. Everything you expect it to be; nonsensical, dumb action flick where everything explodes for no reason. Fun enough but not great. I preferred the nonsensical, dumb action of Drive Angry so much more.

And finally saw Black Panther when it was on TV the other night. And just really did not get the big deal, is it just because its a Black Superhero? I mean we've already had Blade and Spawn decades ago so its not like it was Revolutionary. I really disliked how they killed off the first bad guy early on, he was awesome, one of those fantastically eccentric bad guys, then hes killed off so anticlimactically. The story seemed a bit backwards as well. The second badguy made more sense as a goodguy and vice versa. The Royals who hoard all the wealth and refuse to share with anyone, even many of their own people versus the Orphan who trained his whole life to get revenge and make the arrogant Royals share their wealth. That seemed like a more relatable story than spoiled Royals seek to further hoard the wealth and fight back against the Orphan trying to spread the wealth and change the system. All in all it was just a movie, not shit, but not actually good either, just meh.
    Last edited by ETE; 01-20-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

In news that may interest Dave, Netflix are rolling out 21 studio ghibli films over the next 2 months. Having never seen any of them, I'm looking forward to having them to stream soon.

I believe however this doesn't apply to the US and Canada.

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    In news that may interest Dave, Netflix are rolling out 21 studio ghibli films over the next 2 months. Having never seen any of them, I'm looking forward to having them to stream soon.

Y'all need to pop into the anime thread but yeah, very excited about this. I'm still going through them for the first time, but have had to use Cinema Paradiso and the occasional Film4 showing to get it done so it's taken an age to do. This makes it 10x easier now.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

They're not adding the all-time best Ghibli movie

Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread Information