Thread: WC's Greatest Music Video Ever - A-ha's "Take On Me"

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

WC's Greatest Music Video Ever - A-ha's "Take On Me"

After a hard fought tournament, the results are in and we have WC's Greatest Music Video Ever!!!

"Take On Me"

by A-Ha
    dir: Steve Barron
    (1985)
    Group B - 14 votes (1st place)
    Elimination Round 1 - 10 votes
    Elimination Round 2 - 5 votes
    Quarter Final - 4 votes
    Semi-final - 7 votes
    Final - 9 votes

Nominated by; Fuji Vice, Professor Booty, Sawyer, Punk Wolf & NovaRoad

Beat; Weapon Of Choice, Heart Shaped Box, Everlong, Telephone, Couldn't Stand The Weather, Bat Out Of Hell, Call Me, All Is Full Of Love, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Hero, Right Now, Right Here Right Now, Bitter Sweet Symphony, She Hates Me, I Need A Doctor, The Pretender, Last Friday Night (T. G. I. F.), Land Of Confusion, Thriller, and Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
    Music video
    Two videos were made for the song. The first release of "Take on Me" in 1984 includes a completely different recording, and was featured in the first video, which shows the band singing with a blue background. The second video was directed by Steve Barron, and filmed at Kim's Café and on a sound stage in London, in 1985. The video used a pencil-sketch animation / live-action combination called rotoscoping, in which the live-action footage is traced-over frame by frame to give the characters realistic movements. Approximately 3,000 frames were rotoscoped, which took 16 weeks to complete.

The video's main theme is a romantic fantasy narrative. It begins with a montage of pencil drawings in a comic book style representing motorcycle racing, in which the hero, played by Morten Harket, is pursued by two opponents, one of whom is played by English actor Philip Jackson. It then cuts to a scene in a cafe, in which a young woman, played by Bunty Bailey (Harket's girlfriend at the time), is seen drinking coffee and reading the comic book in a coffee shop. As the girl reads, the waitress brings her the bill. The comic's hero, after winning the race, seemingly winks at the girl from the page. His pencil-drawn hand reaches out of the comic book, inviting the girl into it. Once inside, she too appears in the pencil-drawn form, as he sings to her and introduces her to his black-and-white world.

Meanwhile, back in the restaurant, the waitress returns to find that the girl is not there. Believing that the girl has left without paying the bill, she angrily crumples and throws the girl's comic book into a bin. This makes Harket's two opposing drivers reappear, armed with a large pipe wrench and apparently aggressive. Harket punches one of the thugs and retreats with the girl into a maze of paper. Arriving at a dead end, he tears a hole in the paper wall so that the girl can escape as a pipe wrench is raised in front of him (it is unclear as to whether this is the thugs' wrench or one Harket plans to use in self-defense). The girl, now back in the real world and found lying beside the bin to the surprise of restaurant guests and staff, grabs the comic from the bin and runs home, where she attempts to smooth out the creases to learn what happens next.

The next panel shows Harket lying seemingly lifeless, and the girl begins to cry. But he wakes up and tries to break out of his comic-book frames. At the same time, his image appears in the girl's hallway, seemingly torn between real and comic form, hurling himself repeatedly against walls as he attempts to shatter his two-dimensional barrier. He escapes from the comic book by becoming human and stands up. Smiling, the girl walks towards him and he embraces her. This final scene is based on the 1980 movie Altered States.

At the 1986 MTV Video Music Awards, the video for "Take on Me" won six awards—Best New Artist in a Video, Best Concept Video, Most Experimental Video, Best Direction, Best Special Effects, and Viewer's Choice—and was nominated for two others, Best Group Video and Video of the Year. It was also nominated for Favorite Pop/Rock Video at the 13th American Music Awards in 1986.

Director: Steve Barron
    Production Company: Limelight Productions, London
    Producer: Simon Fields
    Cinematographer: Oliver Stapleton
    Editor: Richard Simpson @ Rushes Film Editing, London
    Animation: Michael Patterson & Candace Reckinger

Three videos inspired by A-Ha's "Take On Me".

Spoiler:

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Re: WC's Greatest Music Video Ever - A-ha's "Take On Me"

well normally I'd be Pissed that Ah Ha could be thought of as better than Johnny Cash lol but I'm just glad Thriller didn't win

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

While I adore Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt", and think that the video is utterly stunning, "Take On Me" is a brilliant video and a worthy winner. To be honest, after the amount of love that "Thriller" got in the early stages, I'm shocked it didn't get to the final, never mind win the whole thing.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

A damn fine music video, worthy of the winning position. I think everyone was surprised by Thriller not even making it to the finals, but looking back on it, the superior entry won.

Congratulations to Aha's Take On Me!

... I'm congratulating a music video. A non-sapient reel of moving pictures. I need to get more sleep.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

People's Champion

Status

Im still surprised that Pearl Jams Evolution was omitted from this entire thing
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Im still surprised that Pearl Jams Evolution was omitted from this entire thing
    Why? Its not that good of a music video....

Thread Information