Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

The Book Thread

So we all seem like pretty well-read chaps...

I've read books, both fiction and nonfiction all my life, however unfortunately the book trade is all but dead due to the influx of the Kindle/Library apps on the iPhone and such. I personally have never found the same level of joy in that as an old beat up novel, but meh each to their own I guess.

I am a smoker, so I always sit outside and read when I'm having a puff or 2. Recently I've been reading a lot of John Le Carre books, recommended from my dad, and they are pretty damn excellent. They're quite fast paced, but not over the top. I prefer books like this, where the pace comes from small plot details being evaluated and developed in each chapter, as opposed to a murder or great revelation every 40 pages (hello Dan Brown).

Are you much of a reader? What's your favourite kind of book?

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

The Whole Fucking Brand

Status
    In a Hovel, underneath a rock............ in Narnia
      Country                    uk_england=England

Re: The Book Thread

I've wanted to create a thread like this, but always though I'd be laughed at... "Pfft, Books ATL? We've got our Xboxes... geek."

Anyway:

I really don't know why, but I enjoy Fantasy too much for my own good. Any book that has a good map at the front of it, I'm there (A detailed map, btw, not just a terrible map with a name on it.) I'm currently reading Game of Thrones, I'm on the first one, and it's excellent. The thought out nature of that series is immaculate, how many people to keep up with, stories, houses, cities, and if George R.R. Martin drew that map, good on him.

I've read the Harry Potter series and thought they were amazing. People think their for kids, balls to that. J.K. Rowling is a very clever writer, how she thought out names, places etc... Just brilliant.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

A book thread? I'M IN.

I've always loved books. Massive reader here. You know that kid in the back of your class that didn't seem to hear a thing, cos he was too busy burying his head in a book? Yeah, that was me. Everyone guessed I'd end up being a librarian. Damn accurate guess nowadays. Books just draw me in so much more than most movies and TV Shows do. That Kindle stuff? Not so much. The feel of the Kindle itself is vastly inferior to a nice paperback, not to mention it's like someone took the sayings of 'Watching too much TV gives you square eyes' and 'Go outside and read a book' and mashed them together in a fairly illogical way. I'm still trying to get used to my Kindle, though. I'll probably warm up to it.

My personal favourite author and genre would be Stephen King and horror/adventure, respectively, but I'll essentially read anything bar romance. Yesterday I finished Battle Royal, and was only marginally dissappointed it didn't involve several people throwing each other over things. Good read, though.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Status

I'll read damned near anything. Classic fiction, pop fiction, horror, fantasy, sci fi, non-fiction biographies, sports... I haven't read much new in the past year or so, as I've mostly been going back through my library to re-read old stuff. But there always seems to be something else I need to read. I still go "old school" and read real books. I have apps on my smart phone but I've tried reading a bit on there and it doesn't appeal to much. Maybe it didn't help that I was trying to read Dickens....

Currenty in the process of re-reading Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, the book that turned me into a footie fan and an Arsenal supporter. Its not a long book but I'm not sure about what to read after that. Maybe finish re-reading the Song of Fire and Ice series (again).
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No

Status

I just got about half way through Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I had to put it down because it was getting a little too dense for me, I'll pick it up again soon.

I just read the first book of the First Law Trilogy "The Blade Itself" -- solid fantasy book; it brings forth lots of little questions that are left completely unanswered which excites me.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I love to read but never get the time. Stephen King and Dan Brown are favourites of mine, like all their stuff.

I was a highwayman

Status
      Country                    United States

I don't read much but when I do I read rick riordan and the percy jackson series.

In the process of reading the lost hero by rick riordan.

OMB BAYBAY!

Status

Love, love, love to read. I'll read anything, really...autobiographies, biographies, fiction, non-fiction, sports books.

Reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut for leisure, among a few books that I'm reading for my course work that I'm enjoying.

Recently stumbled upon my old copy of The Outsiders from what I presume I read in about 8th grade. Want to give that a read soon as well.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

So I'm in the process of reading The Holy Assassin by Luis Miguel Rocha. It was recommended by a friend:

.. and I am really having trouble with it. The language is so dense and bogged down in adjectives it makes it so hard to read. I thought the author was trying so hard to be pretentious and flowery with the words that it takes away from the story and it's too much.

"...we need not concern ourselves where the man had come from, suffice to say that he was there...
    I mean, any need there? 'We did not know where he came from' has the same effect. I gave up after 100 pages, which is such a shame becuase the plot sounds great. It's supposed to be about the mysterious death of a Pope and his successor in a kind of pseudo-Dan-Brown secret society hidden power behind the church thingy which is so trashy but it's addictively fun to read. Probably around a 2/10. Hate pretentious shit like that, it's almost a pain to read.

WC Fantrax Premiership

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I've always been a big reader - plays, poems, books, manga, everything. I try to get through at least a couple a month. I'm into a mixture of pretty much anything although my favourite books of all time are probably Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, His Dark Materials trilogy and Nineteen Eighty-Four (surprising since I'm not that big of an Orwell fan, but that is a classic).

Favourite character from any book is Atticus Finch. To Kill a Mockingbird was great but almost all of the greatness came from how amazing Atticus was. I don't really have many heroes or role models in real life, but he is definitely one, even if he is fictional.

Favourite writer is Shakespeare.

Currently reading The Wind Singer by William Nicholson. Pretty damn good so far, I like the characters and the story.
    Last edited by Shock; 09-30-2012 at 08:23 AM.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Formerly Zar

Status

Big fan of biographies, Cash by Johnny Cash is hard to beat. Neal Gabler wrote an incredibly thorough bio of Walt Disney with unprecedented access to the family and company archives, painted an incredibly well rounded picture of the man including the post animator strike years when he would fire people on a Friday and rehire them on a Monday to keep them on their toes.

Currently reading Theodore Rex, the second part of Edmund Morris' Roosevelt trilogy, the first volume, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt was great.
    I don't recognize anyone around here.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post

Currently reading The Wind Singer by William Nicholson. Pretty damn good so far, I like the characters and the story.
    That's a terrific book. It's a rare thing but the story actually gets better throughout the series.

Has anybody read 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' series? I've read the first but am a bit loath to pick up the rest. Found the fundamental plot fantastic, but it rapidly went downhill to such an extent that I felt I was reading it out of a sense of duty rather than actual enjoyment. The books have been massively hyped (what with the movie and all), but I found it far too heavy on minute detail and such expansive descriptions can sometimes be a bad thing. Also, there were soooo many characters I almost had to draw up a chart telling me who was actually doing what.

Just wondered what the follow ups were like.

WC Fantrax Premiership

WAKE UP

Status

SO yesterday I bought and started to read Brave New World. Come at me.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    SO yesterday I bought and started to read Brave New World. Come at me.
    Great concept, poor writing, especially in the early chapters. I really like the idea behind the story, but his style of writing is pretty horrid. Most people tend to enjoy it a lot more than me.

Shock Reviews Archive

No

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Great concept, poor writing, especially in the early chapters. I really like the idea behind the story, but his style of writing is pretty horrid. Most people tend to enjoy it a lot more than me.
    I completely agree with you, people overrated the book bc it has an interesting concept but seem to forget that Huxley was an awful writer.

I recently decided to re-read Shake Hands with the Devil by General Romeo Dallaire -- it's the 100% true story of General Dallaire's time spent as the leader of the UN mission in Rwanda before, during and after the genocide. The saddest most fucked up book you'll ever read, to give an example of the things this man witnesses and talks about, he has a story how he saw a pregnant woman have her fetus macheted out of her...

On Vacation

Status

I'm reading "The Places in Between" by Rory Stewart. Its a book about this guys walk across Afghanistan. Very interesting read and hits the country and its people right on the mark.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Anyone read any Lee Child books?

Getting them recommended left right and centre - wanted a verdict.

WC Fantrax Premiership

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

The Book Thread

Almost finished with GRRM's A Feast for Crows and right after that I'll dive into A Dance with Dragons. A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) has become my all time favorite fantasy series and Martin better not take another decade to get The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring out or I'll
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 06-22-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Spoiler:

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Nooooo, not THE David Mitchell of Peep Show fame, a different dude.

Little over halfway through it at the moment and it's seriously seriously good. Not to spoil the plot or anything, but the premise of the book is essentially 5 or 6 short stories linked together in extremely clever ways spanning various centuries, which is a gimmick that's been worn well through all mediums. However, the methods Mitchell uses in this are staggering - for example the first story will stop abruptly halfway through, and the second one will start. About halfway through the second one, he'll discover a book/recording which will give you the ending to the first one, yet remain relevant in the second one. For example...

Spoiler:

The first story is a diary of an American abroad in the Maori Islands, and in the second that American's diary is a book being read by a young musician writing letters to a friend about his life as an assistant in a dead end job. Clever stuff.

I dunno, it's hard to explain - but it's good. The language isn't too puffy and flowery, even in the older time periods - but there is a tendency to get lost amongst various subtle points (Foudn myself often asking 'Where did I hear that name?') However, the stories themselves are absolutely riveting, detailed, accurate and with a strong plot. What I really like so far is that you seamlessly move through time and across the globe, yet you don't feel the urge to just shut the book and say 'I'll start that chapter tomorrow', which is often the case when the tone changes from chapter to chapter.

If you're stuck for a book this winter, or get some Waterstones gift cards this Christmas off some random relatives - keep this in mind. It is excellent. I'll post again when I have finished.

WC Fantrax Premiership

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Great book. Took me a little time to really get into it, but I found the writing exceptional.

Shock Reviews Archive

Thread Information