Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118 LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2342

Thread: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Status

Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

The "bigger company" is an interesting debate. I guess it really depends on exactly how you measure that, because there is nothing singular and absolute.

Really really random question regarding refs. I know Nikkan Lee has referred for BJW for a long time. I've also read that Megumi Grace Asano was the other female ref working for non-joshi Japanese promotions, but I don't know if she's still working in DDT. Or somewhere else. Anyone have any insight?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

That's awesome. Lenny Leonard is fantastic, easily one of the best, if not the best commentator today. November must be a big month for Dragon Gate to bring back the English commentary instead of Final Gate. Unit vs Unit match perhaps?

WAKE UP

Status

Is it me or does Ben-K look the spit of Tozawa in that post above?

Sekimoto/Bodyguard vs Nomura/Abe was decent. Started out slow but got going once the underdogs made their comeback. Bodygaurd is pretty useless and is a hilarious stereotype roided up guy who looks like he could pop at any moment. Hopefully Nomura/Abe win the belts off them as they're pretty fun team and deserve some gold this year.

Status

So I was listening back to an Eastern Lariat podcast from last year. The draft episode. There was a comment about not being able to have Kento Miyahara and Katsuhiko Nakaima on the same roster. I know both were with Kensuke Office / Diamond Ring and I feel like this stems from that, but I'm curious what the story is. Thanks!
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    So I was listening back to an Eastern Lariat podcast from last year. The draft episode. There was a comment about not being able to have Kento Miyahara and Katsuhiko Nakaima on the same roster. I know both were with Kensuke Office / Diamond Ring and I feel like this stems from that, but I'm curious what the story is. Thanks!
    Nakajima was hard and borderline abusive to Kento while helping train him, remember many of Kento's contemporaries at the time like Ota, Ito, Okita, etc. quit and NOAH had zero new talent for years because of how bad it got. Kento never quit, he just left Diamond Ring and it wasn't an amicable splitup by any means.

Also thanks as always for listening. The draft episode is still one of the best IMO for sure.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Nakajima was hard and borderline abusive to Kento while helping train him, remember many of Kento's contemporaries at the time like Ota, Ito, Okita, etc. quit and NOAH had zero new talent for years because of how bad it got. Kento never quit, he just left Diamond Ring and it wasn't an amicable splitup by any means.

Also thanks as always for listening. The draft episode is still one of the best IMO for sure.
    Thanks for the response!

Its a great episode. I had a long drive on Friday night so it was great company. and super-useful, because you guys drafted a lot of talent that isn't commonly talked about. That kind of thing is super-helpful on the 2013 project I've been working on. Not to say I don't enjoy you guys chatting about better known stuff, but it really helps expand the horizon of some of your listeners (me, specifically) when its wider and deeper. I was listening to the 1990 list before that.

So Nakajima playing a heel and being a dick might not be playing at all. Interesting. That kind of story is also great to integrate into the database.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Anyone interested in late 80s/early 90s All Japan, I highly recommend these videos.

I think these videos do the matches justice and they add an interesting perspective to the matches.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

DDT “ULTIMATE PARTY 2019! DDT GROUP BIG SET!”, 03/11/2019
    Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

0. Under Match – Tokyo Joshi Pro Offer Match: X Vs X
    0. Under Match – Time Difference Battle Royal: X Vs X
    0. Under Match: Tomomitsu Matsunaga, Mizuki Watase & Keigo Nakamura Vs Daichi Kazato, Masato Kamino & Shuhei Washida
    1. Gauntlet Tag Match: Yuki Ueno & Naomi Yoshimura Vs Yukio Sakaguchi & Ryota Nakatsu Vs Shuichiro Katsumura & Kouki Iwasaki Vs Maki Itoh & Chris Brookes
    2. KO-D 10-Man Tag Team Titles: Danshoku Dieno Army Vs Super Sasadango Machine Army
    3. Princess Tag Team Titles: Sakisama & Misao (c) Vs X & X
    4. KO-D Tag Team Titles – 4 Way Hardcore Match: Daisuke Sasaki & Soma Takao (c) Vs Akito & Shunma Katsumata Vs FUMA & Yusuke Kubo Vs Minoru Fujita & Daiki Shimomura
    5. Independent World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Keisuke Ishii (c) Vs Fuminori Abe
    6. Union MAX Title: Ryuichi Sekine (c) Vs Masahiro Takanashi
    7. Princess Of Princess Title: Shoko Nakajima (c) Vs Yuka Sakazaki
    8. Special Single Match: Sanshiro Takagi Vs Isami Kodaka
    9. Dramatic Dream Match: Kenny Omega & Riho Vs Antonio Honda & Miyu Yamashita
    10. KO-D Openweight Title & DDT Extreme Title: Konosuke Takeshita (K/c) Vs HARASHIMA (E/c)
    Ultimate Party is looking to be an excellent show. I notice the lack of big comedy names on the card (they'll probably be in the 20 man tag). An interesting decision given how much they had at Peter Pan and Judgement. The card looks great and should be a big candidant for Supercard of the year should it deliver. That main event looks great. Takeshita has begun to make a fan out of me but come on, HARASHIMA!

WAKE UP

Status

Big Japan's upcoming 4/11 show is looking pretty stacked with interesting shit

1. Ryota Hama, Yasufumi Nakanoue & Kazuki Hashimoto vs. Takuho Kato, Akira Hyodo & Yuki Ishikawa
    2. Mu no Gokudo vs. Kobayashi Gundan: Great Kojika, The Great Sasuke, Baramon Shu, Brahman Kei & Kankuro Hoshino vs. Abdullah Kobayashi, Hideki Suzuki, Shinobu, Orca Uto & Drew Parker
    3. BJW vs. All Japan: Jake Lee & Naoya Nomura vs. Ryuichi Kawakami & Kazumi Kikuta
    4. Strong BJ vs. STRONG HEARTS: Hideyoshi Kamitani, Takuya Nomura & Fuminori Abe vs. Shigehiro Irie, T-Hawk & El Lindaman
    5. Tack Strip Death Match: Rickey Shane Page & Masaya Takahashi vs. Masashi Takeda & Takumi Tsukamoto
    6. BJW Jr. Heavyweight Title, Survival 4 Way Match: Yuya Aoki (c) vs. TAJIRI vs. Tatsuhiko Yoshino vs. Kota Sekifuda
    7. Daisuke Sekimoto 20th Anniversary Match, Special Tag Match: Daisuke Sekimoto & WALTER vs. Yuji Okabayashi & Yuji Hino
    8. Ryuji Ito Debut 20th Anniversary Match, BLOOD & DEATH HISTORY Death Match: Ryuji Ito & Takashi Sasaki vs. Jun Kasai & Toshiyuki Sakuda
    9. BJW World Strong Heavyweight Title: Kohei Sato (c) vs. Daichi Hashimoto
    10. BJW Death Match Heavyweight Title, 4 Board Giga Ladder Death Match: Isami Kodaka (c) vs. Yuko Miyamoto

i can see the interpromotional matches bringing the heat, and very cool to see WALTER, Sasaki and Kasai back in the promotion. Hopefully the DM guys are motivated for a big show.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

There are heavy rumors right now that WWE's going to be starting their Japan plans, & BJW is becoming the next PROGRESS/WXW, with Sekimoto being the head trainer for them. Along with Sendai Girls in Joshi following suit.

There's also big NJPW news coming up on the 18th.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Status

There are heavy rumors right now that WWE's going to be starting their Japan plans, & BJW is becoming the next PROGRESS/WXW, with Sekimoto being the head trainer for them. Along with Sendai Girls in Joshi following suit.

There's also big NJPW news coming up on the 18th.
    so this is what you guys were hinting at on the podcast. Heard some rumblings on Twitter too, but nothing quite so specific.

And hints on the New Japan news?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

BJW is a company I thought they wouldn't touch them because of their Deathmatches. Even with the Strong Division. Unless its solely to get Sekimoto on the books and tied up in someway.

Sendai Girls makes sense.

so this is what you guys were hinting at on the podcast. Heard some rumblings on Twitter too, but nothing quite so specific.

And hints on the New Japan news?
    Apparently New Japan, or Bushiroad more specifically, want to buy or partner with Stardom. That could be it.
    Last edited by MC 16; 10-16-2019 at 04:32 AM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Keep in mind we heard similar things in January about WWE buying NOAH, and I knew that was BS from the start. This is a bit more likely because WALTER isn't working the show by accident and BJW isn't a legacy company like NOAH so them selling out isn't too unbelievable. I wouldn't be surprised if this all turns out to be something smaller than is speculated. WALTER working it does give me pause though.

Like I said on the show, however it plays out it won't be like the UK where WWE can just come in and take over. Even if Kojika cashes out, it's not like everyone in Japan loves WWE and wants to work there. It's not like in the UK where all the promoters sacrifice the local scene to kiss WWE's ass and all the wrestlers love WWE and have dreamed of wrestling there for forever and Kento, Kaito, Takeshita, Hideki, and Ben-K are all gonna just waltz on in. (Hideki might since he's freelance) They're gonna have to pay heavy to get someone, letalone try to form a whole roster. And the BJW roster has less than 10 worthwhile people between Heavy & Juniors on their contracts so they need to bring in people.

TL;DR Even if the rumors are true I don't think NXT Japan will be successful.

As far as NJPW they're talking about partnering with both Stardom and some fringe guys even think THEY're the ones working with WWE, but that's probably paranoia more than anything. I asked someone in the company and didn't hear anything about it, just that they're working on something with Jericho for WK which is a lot less big than companies working together or anything like that.

Relentless Admin

Status

You’d think after nxt U.K. being pretty much a bust that no-one cares about, and AEW kicking NXT’s ass that triple h would take a chill pill and shelf this stupid idea of NXT’s in different markets. Spreading themselves too thin.

Surely the deathmatch half of BJW won’t be compatible with WWE’s business.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

What's the Stardom-Giulia situation? Are they both being massive scumbags like it seems?

Stardom-NJPW crossover would be cool. I reckon it'd be like DDT-TJPW with crossover here and there. Can't see NJPW incorporating full blown Joshi into their shows though.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

EVen though most of them are pretty big size wize, most of the non-DM Big Japan guys also have fairly generic looks, so another wrinkle that makes that rumour strange. Hopefully nothing comes of it, thought if they signed Sekimoto to NXT I'd be down for that.

Status

Keep in mind we heard similar things in January about WWE buying NOAH, and I knew that was BS from the start. This is a bit more likely because WALTER isn't working the show by accident and BJW isn't a legacy company like NOAH so them selling out isn't too unbelievable. I wouldn't be surprised if this all turns out to be something smaller than is speculated. WALTER working it does give me pause though.

Like I said on the show, however it plays out it won't be like the UK where WWE can just come in and take over. Even if Kojika cashes out, it's not like everyone in Japan loves WWE and wants to work there. It's not like in the UK where all the promoters sacrifice the local scene to kiss WWE's ass and all the wrestlers love WWE and have dreamed of wrestling there for forever and Kento, Kaito, Takeshita, Hideki, and Ben-K are all gonna just waltz on in. (Hideki might since he's freelance) They're gonna have to pay heavy to get someone, letalone try to form a whole roster. And the BJW roster has less than 10 worthwhile people between Heavy & Juniors on their contracts so they need to bring in people.

TL;DR Even if the rumors are true I don't think NXT Japan will be successful.

As far as NJPW they're talking about partnering with both Stardom and some fringe guys even think THEY're the ones working with WWE, but that's probably paranoia more than anything. I asked someone in the company and didn't hear anything about it, just that they're working on something with Jericho for WK which is a lot less big than companies working together or anything like that.
    Meltzer actually stated the Noah purchase attempt as a fact this morning (which doesn't make it so lol).

Like you guys talked about, loyalty makes Japan a very different situation and one would think the WWE understands that. Or at least hope they understand it.

What I find a bit confusing is what their intent is with NXT Japan. Are they hoping to create a pipeline of young Japanese talent into the WWE? Just start building WWE brand awareness in Japan? Make money with the brand? Is it just to create weekly content for the Network?

Making money might be the hard part, really. But just in terms of a roster... There are probably enough workers who would still be intrigued by working for the WWE and freelancers that they could put together a decent roster. They have the under-contract Japanese talent that could come over for bigger shows or tours.

Its weird - I'm intrigued by the concept but hate what the WWE seem to be trying to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    You’d think after nxt U.K. being pretty much a bust that no-one cares about, and AEW kicking NXT’s ass that triple h would take a chill pill and shelf this stupid idea of NXT’s in different markets. Spreading themselves too thin.

Surely the deathmatch half of BJW won’t be compatible with WWE’s business.
    The deathmatch division would just be murdered, no? Culled.

And as for NXT UK.... I'm not so sure that the WWE would see it as a failure. There is zero buzz and fans seem rather indifferent. But.... they still seem to draw some fans to the shows. They probably still get views on the Network. Nothing seems to be drawing that much on the UK scene right now and while that is realistically that fault of the WWE raiding all the most over talent, they might not view it that way at all.

It doesn't seem likely that the UK brand is hemorrhaging money in a serious way. They have most of the most talented workers from the UK (and now European) scene under contract. That is as much about keeping them away from other companies as "needing" them for the WWE itself. NXT UK allowed them to land Walter, when he was apparently unwilling to sign with the company proper before because he didn't want to move to Florida. Now, he's working NXT shows.... in Florida.

Kinda like I questioned the intent of what NXT Japan would be for the WWE, I doubt we view what counts as successful for NXT UK is the same as the company does.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Maybe NXT Japan can sign SANADA and people who have been saying he's a future ace will finally be proven right. On the basis that there's probably nobody else bigger to sign up. BJW is a terrible breaking ground for WWE and there's no way NXT Japan is successful with that. Who are you aiming to draw to the initial shows? BJW fans or a wider audience?

Dragon Gate would be way better for this type of thing - a huge focus on rural Japanese areas might help. But as it stands, this has absolutely zero chance of competing with the big boys in Japan. Can't see WWE even being able to pull the big names from other promotions in. The only thing that would work is if they throw a shitload of money at everyone.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Meltzer actually stated the Noah purchase attempt as a fact this morning (which doesn't make it so lol).
    Attempt yes, but NOAH would never sell. That was in January though when they met with Uchida, the ex president in LA. I don't know anything about them trying again but again, there's no way that would happen with Sumo Hall coming up. They're safely the #2 company among traditional puro fans ATM, though if WWE keeps poking around over and over they could end up getting their way, but it makes more sense to just go after a non-legacy company like BJW IMO.

Like you guys talked about, loyalty makes Japan a very different situation and one would think the WWE understands that. Or at least hope they understand it.

What I find a bit confusing is what their intent is with NXT Japan. Are they hoping to create a pipeline of young Japanese talent into the WWE? Just start building WWE brand awareness in Japan? Make money with the brand? Is it just to create weekly content for the Network?

Making money might be the hard part, really. But just in terms of a roster... There are probably enough workers who would still be intrigued by working for the WWE and freelancers that they could put together a decent roster. They have the under-contract Japanese talent that could come over for bigger shows or tours.

Its weird - I'm intrigued by the concept but hate what the WWE seem to be trying to do...
    I think your point on NXT UK was very good. Ultimately we can't say for sure what exactly their intentions or metrics for "success" is per se. Something like this must surely be plotted for a rumored next tier of the Network if it goes through. Likely also just getting a foothold in Japan, which will be extremely hard for them. People are way too focused on "the deathmatch side". That is an aesthetic difference that WWE very likely doesn't care about. This is about making a building block for NXT Japan, not testing out waters for DM stuff. All those guys can easily be sent packing to Freedoms when they bring in their guys. Obviously it wouldn't be the same BJW but that doesn't matter to WWE. It could be any company of worth tbh, this (in theory, keep in mind I'm not fully buying this yet) is just the one that played ball and sold out. Perhaps the idea of an NXT UK their only goal is to put heat on NJPW, which if their rumors with Stardom are true could already be working.

In theory if they bring all their contracted Japanese talent over (they really should, Nakamura would mean so much more there than here, even if I think he's no good and he wouldn't want that either) you could have an ok assortment of people. It would be hilarious because if in theory it's BJW then not only is the roster not good, the booking is horrible by nearly all metrics. So you'd be looking at something like the WWE Japanese guys, the BJW guys, the Sendai Girls, and a few key freelancers + a couple of young 2AW and JTO guys, plus old favorites like Tajiri & TAKA get brought in in all likelihood. Hopefully some young wrestlers to train if they get their way.
    Last edited by Zero; 10-16-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Status

Pretty glad Noah held out, to be honest. I realize that logo and color change has pissed some people off, but at least they are holding to a lot of Misawa's ideals in terms of product and such.

Regarding BJW.... it still seems weird. I've seen quite a few comments (twitter, Reddit, etc) about whether the WWE really understands Japan. I have always assumed they do.... but I'm really starting to wonder. Do they really get worker loyalty? Fan loyalty?

Buying a company to get a foot hold makes sense in a few ways.... You are buying the legacy and history of that company. You are buying the roster. And you are buying the existing fans. But... will any of those matter? Its like a WWE-owned Big Japan will stay Big Japan. I don't just mean them getting rid of the Deathmatch division, but rebranding the whole thing. The WWE won't care about the BJW tape library. And the roster is only going to have some talent they will want to keep long-term. Perhaps most importantly, how much of the BJW fan base is going to stay and remain passionate when its no longer BJW but NXT-Japan or whatever it gets labelled? It almost becomes a situation where they would have been better off signing a few more freelancers / non-loyalists over the next 2-3 years and launching something entirely new.

I'm intrigued by the whole situation, in part because I really don't fully understanding what the intent is.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118 LastLast

Thread Information