Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: WWE No Way Out 2012 Discussion

WAKE UP

Status

Re: WWE No Way Out 2012 Discussion

Sorry, watching a dude sit in a chinlock for minutes at time isn't exciting. Granted, Dolph worked it more than, say, Jericho does (who literally just sits in them) by doing shit like headstands and whatever, but when it comes to doing an effective heat segment you need some more credible offence.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Holds ARE credible offense. What sounds smarter: Wasting all your energy doing stupid moves or tiring someone out by cutting off their air/softing up their body parts? There is a reason Joey Mercury went to ROH and started busting out chinlocks and holds.....because it's one of the important foundations of working in a match. Blah blah it isn't exciting. Wrestling is about storytelling and psychology. Not Jack Evans bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

WAKE UP

Status

Chinlocks aren't credible for putting a guy in believable danger of losing.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

And? Nether is a dropping a elbow on someone but it's a credible way of tiring out your freaking opponent.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

WAKE UP

Status

Elbow drops alone also don't make for a good heat segment. They are low end offence that pad out a match.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

And I'm pretty sure Dolph wasn't using just chinlocks. Problem solved and case closed.

WAKE UP

Status

He was for the most of the heat segment, which is what I said.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Which isn't a problem since he is installing *gasp* psychology in the match. Which makes sense especially if you aren't the strongest guy in the match.

WAKE UP

Status

That's not psycology, that's sitting in a chinlock because you don't have any more credible offence for a heat segment. It's wrestling, not Shakespeare, stop tossing out the word "psychology" for every match as if there is some subtle intracacies going that are flying over people's heads. It's not difficult to understand a pro wrestling match.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

If it's not difficult to understand a pro wrestling match then why are you not understanding the purpose of a chinlock? Apparently the purpose of psychology does fly way above your head. Sheamus kicking out at one after Dolph's moves says he is not worn down enough. Chinlock wears(sp?) people down. So you put two and two together and it ends up being a logical reaction and it makes sense. What is a word for that? Oh that's right, PSYCHOLOGY.

WAKE UP

Status

I understand it just fine. I'm not saying it didn't make sense.

The match was good. Dolph worked hard and put on a good performance. But he isn't good at working a lengthy heat segment because he relies too heavily on low end offence that serves as filler rather than putting his opponent in believable danger. If the chinlocks had actually lead to something, maybe you would have a point. For him to be a main event level heel, he is going to have to do more than basic holds and low end offence when controlling large portions of a match.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Only watched up to the divas match, at which I fell asleep, and I can't be bothered to download the show (doesnt sound like I'm missing much though). The opener and IC title match were both pretty good, if not great. Dolph worked really hard, but was a little exposed as all of his heat section was just chinlocks and the like. Outside of that it was good stuff. Cody vs Christian was ok until the stretch run, which was pretty fun. About as good of a match as they are going to have with each other, though I don't get why Christian has nerfed the Killswitch in favour of the Frogsplash.
    Most people seemed to enjoy the triple threat and the finish to the Cage match was fun for an over-booked clusterfuck, but to be honest (for me at least) it was a one match show, and you've seen Ziggler/Sheamus so you're golden.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

The PPV wasn't particularly bad, but then again it wasn't exactly the best either. But as far as WWE 2012 PPVs go, No Way Out could easily be the weakest.

Ziggler vs Sheamus was as good as I expected it to be. Christian vs Rhodes was nice, but seemed to be a step down from the two's usual degree of matches. The Fatal-four way tag match was fun, and Abraham Washington's (Seriously, 'A.W'? C'mon. A real manager uses his full name.) swerve was unexpected and could lead to better things. Besides, Primo & Epico had just been sitting around doing jack, so really all they gained from him is a now-possible face turn. The WWE title triple threat was also enjoyable, but where the hell did Bryan go? Bah.

The Steel Cage main event was okay, it didn't suck as much as I expected it to. I seem to be in the minority here, but having the superstars Show has attacked over the past few weeks show up and prevent him from winning was actually a nice touch. It didn't seem like a clusterfuck to me. From a storyline standpoint, they all had a good reason to be there, that being killed by Show and/or screwed over by Big Johnny (What? No, I'm not bitter still about John. L being the main reason for Ryder losing his US title to Swaggles six months ago. Why do you ask?), so it made sense. Superstar unity against a common enemy can't be a bad thing, mostly.

Though I do fucking hate how just anytime in a cage match someone can just ask the refs to unlock the door and let them walk out. Fucking lame as shit. 'The only way to win is either by pinfall, submission, or escaping over the cage... or through the easily-accessable door, which will be unlocked at your request by a WWE official.' Fuck that.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

I don't know if people realize this but Danielson was out because he was selling the Go2sleep. The move that kinda knocks you out >_>

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Capone View Post
    Holds ARE credible offense. What sounds smarter: Wasting all your energy doing stupid moves or tiring someone out by cutting off their air/softing up their body parts? There is a reason Joey Mercury went to ROH and started busting out chinlocks and holds.....because it's one of the important foundations of working in a match. Blah blah it isn't exciting. Wrestling is about storytelling and psychology. Not Jack Evans bullshit.
    Actually, he did it more to get good heat with the 90% IWC fans in the crowds who wanted flashiness, which is why he could be heard yelling "This is my 5* chinlock!" all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Jim continues to play catch-up.

Sheamus vs Dolph Ziggler - World Heavyweight Title
    Ziggler not wearing his Over the Limit ring jacket is a downgrade. He came off like a bigger star with it. Not amazing or anything too noteworthy, but a quality match nonetheless. The crowd reaction was the most memorable aspect of the match. While it didn't seem like the crowd hated Sheamus, they spent portions of the match booing him and cheering Ziggler on huge. I'm still not sure what people see in Ziggler (Good talent, but worth busting a nut over? Nah), but you can't deny the fact that people dig him. Clean win for Sheamus keeps him looking good. Good match, but it felt like they were holding back due to being just the opener. Speaking of which, why is the World Heavyweight Title match the curtain jerker? I get it, the title isn't close to being in the WWE Title's league, but why can't the IC title open the show? Whatever. Put Ziggler on PPV and you're guaranteed a 3 star range match. 3 1/4 Stars.

Santino vs Ricardo - Tuxedo Match
    This was really a feud? My God, this sucked. Similarly to Ace vs Cena, this felt like the WWE's attempt at PG humor, but i fell flat. All I could think while watching this is that fans had to pay money to see it. At best, it's a Raw segment to kill some time. Congrats WWE, you just had two WMOTYC's in a three match PPV stretch. That's fucking pathetic. At least this was short. 3/4 Star.

Christian vs Cody Rhodes - WWE IC Title
    I wonder if Christian isn't 100% because these matches seem so much better on paper than they turn out to be. The positive is that this was better than their Over the Limit match. Dug Rhodes' work over Christian's previously injured shoulder. The final few minutes were pretty hot. Somehow, they made Rhodes kicking out of the Unprettier feel like a big deal. The Spear finish came out of nowhere, but they at least set it up earlier in the match when Christian attempted it. Good match, but I imagine they could have so much better matches. 2 1/2 Stars.

Usos vs Primetime Players vs Colons w/AW vs Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel - #1 Contender's Match
    WWE tag team wrestling is alive~! Sadly, it's also very much dead to the crowd. The fans could not have cared less about this match. The two times they reacted were the Uso's chant (Not loud, but it was something) and Kidd's great hurricanrana spot to the outside where Epico landed on everyone. The crowd's reaction on the latter spot makes me think the WWE would have been better off having a Texas Tornado style match where everyone could just go wild with their crazy spots. It'd be a spotfest, but the crowd would care and thus the wrestlers would benefit from it. Dull match, little crowd interest and an AW turn on the Colons that got zero reaction. It's good the WWE has several teams, but that only helps the tag division if they're over. 1 3/4 Stars.

Layla vs Beth Phoenix - Divas Title
    A large portion of the match revolved around Layla stealing Beth's headband and mocking Beth by dancing around with it and running around the ring while Beth tried to get the headband back. AWFUL comedy that only made Layla out to be a fucking bitch. Once again, it's PG comedy that is far too childish to appeal to me. Layla's awful and she makes me long for the days of Trish Stratus. The only good thing about the match was how well Beth takes Layla's neckbreaker finisher. Even Beth isn't good enough to make Layla watchable when Layla is being obnoxious. Huge step down from their Over the Limit match. 3/4 Star.

Hunico vs Sin Cara
    Is this a continuation of their 2011 feud or is this just another random match on PPV? Gah, why are they still using that shitty blue and yellow lighting? On the plus side, they had Hunico control most of the match. The negative side is that once Sin Cara went on offense, everything he did looked weak. Serious, how is it possible to hit a dropkick, but look like it barely touched the guy? Is it that hard to look convincing? Hilarious moment came when Sin Cara made the hand gesture for the crowd to make noise. The crowd responded with dead silence. Ha. Loud "We want Ryder...woo woo woo" chant. With the show taking place so close to NY, why isn't Ryder on the show? Was he possibly injured? Sin Cara picked up the win in yet another dud on this show. 1 3/4 Stars.

CM Punk vs Kane vs Daniel Bryan - WWE World Title
    When it comes to triple threats or four ways, it's pointless to have the match unless all the guys interact for most of the match. Not surprisingly, the highlights of the match was whenever all three guys were in the ring. Loved the nod to the finish of the Over the Limit match with Punk getting the nearfall after countering a Yes Lock into a pin attempt. Likewise, dug that they made a little story out of Punk's elbow drop where it took him three attempts to finally hit it. Big surprise *Insert massive amounts of sarcasm* that putting Punk and Bryan in a Kane match suddenly makes Kane look awesome. It obviously wasn't as good as Punk/Bryan from Over the Limit and I thought the finish was weak due to the camera never even picking up on AJ until she was bumped off of the apron, but this exceeded my expectations. Loved the three-way spots, the one-on-one spots were fine, thought the finish was weak. Still, easy MOTN. God bless CM Punk and goat face. 3 1/2 Stars.

Ryback vs two jobbers
    I'll admit, I loved hearing the jobbers sing the old school Wrestlemania theme. Now that's the kind of cheesy comedy I can be into. Ryback's squashes are fun, but I still think it's a poor idea putting them on PPV month after month. The WWE has five hours of primetime television each week, why are we having the same stuff from Raw on PPV? Use the Ryback beatdowns of lowcard stars (Even a guy like Jinder Mahal) for the PPV, while the jobbers can be on Raw. Dug the squash, slightly humored by the Goldberg chant and I still can't figure out the Ryback gimmick. What's the deal with his arm motions in his entrance? SQUASH.

John Cena vs The Big Show - Cage Match
    From what I gather, if Show loses, Johnny Ace will be fired. That means three of the last four PPV's (Wrestlemania, Over the Limit and No Way Out) all revolved around the idea of Ace's job depended on his side winning. Does the WWE have so few ideas that they have to use the same ones over and over again? Reviewing this match is really like reviewing two matches. The first match is surprisingly awesome with The Big Show manhandling Cena. Big Show brought his A game and looked fucking awesome. While Cena didn't do anything to add to the enjoyment of the match, he didn't hurt the match either. While that's all good, the second match begins with the overbooked finish where Johnny Ace, Vince McMahon, Brodus Clay, Kofi Kingston, Zack Ryder, Santino and Alex Riley all had to interfere. Basically, it's "How to ruin a match 101". Why is it that John Cena, the face of the company, needs the help of five random lowcarders to combat The Big Show and the injured Johnny Ace? It's fucking stupid. Had they just had Cena beat Show after a FU (Before any of the interference), the match would have been about a 3 1/4 star match. The ending hurt it a lot for me and it's now three straight PPV endings that left a sour taste in my mouth. WWE booking sucks. Big Show, the top rope wonder, rules. 2 1/2 Stars.
    Last edited by Jim; 01-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Thread Information