Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apprentice (UK) Discussion Thread

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

The Apprentice (UK) Discussion Thread

So the eighth series of The Apprentice started tonight as Lord Sugar kicked off his search for a new business partner to invest £250k of his own money in. After chatting to a few people in the shoutbox like PS, Nash and Mikk, it turns out there are a fair few fans of this show, so being the visionary that I am I thought, let's get a discussion thread going for it - it's about time we had a decent thread for a UK show in the Entertainment forum, too much American dominance

Thoughts after Task 1:

Right now I'm putting this in spoilers for now, but really in future I would advise not coming into this thread unless you've watched the episode

Spoiler:

- They've got rid of the classic Apprentice intro music - bad call!
    - I'm not after a friend, if I was, I'd get a dog Classic Sugar
    - I didn't think the girls product was that great initially, the drawings were very childish, but I guess that was their charm and I can see why mums would buy them
    - Shocking product by the guys, THIS IS A....................BUS, who the **** would buy that in their right mind. Bit cheeky to sell those rejects on to that shop, how humiliating to have to go back, tail between their legs and refund the sale.
    - Stephen is one of the weirdest looking contestants they've ever had on, his eyes are huge. He was also a bit of a dick, butting in with his 'we need to drop the price' demand straight after the team leader decided the price.
    - Jane (The Irish girl) looks like she's going to be one of those contestants that is irritating because they keep banging on about their points and views until someone will listen to them, even though on this task she was right to harp on about the margin.
    - Maria, the girl with the purple eye shadow sounds very dumb, can't see her lasting that long
    - Got a feeling that Duane, the black dude, is going to go far. We didn't see much of him, but he didn't put a foot wrong; looks like a team player who can sell.
    - So Ricky Martin is apparently a business man by day, and a wrestler by night, perhaps WC should get behind him and cheer him on to victory - no you're right we shouldn't, he looks like a total prick.

YOU'RE FIRED....
    Spoiler:

Bilyana really talked her way into that firing, going into the bottom 3, I thought she was the safest of the lot given that Gabrielle was a poor team leader and Katie did bugger all and we all know Sugar isn't a fan of that. She just kept putting her foot in it by interrupting him, and then saying nothing of any relevance to save herself. Good riddance, she was getting annoying.

So who watched the show tonight?
    Last edited by Ed; 03-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

re: The Apprentice (UK) Discussion Thread

I'm about to watch it on catch up. I've drifted in and out during the shows run. Most recently watched the series before last. Might check out this one. As I hear it comes fromGreenwich Market which is opposite my old Uni!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Watched it parrell to the QPR match (Wish I hadn't now) and enjoyed it tbh. I'll put my feelings in Spoilers for the timebeing since some guys may not have seen it

Spoiler:

Thank **** Bilyana went. Didn't like her from the get go and it's only the first friggin show I could not have dealt with her for 2 months. I was convinced Katie was gonna go though. She was just the quiet person who didn't do much and Alan Sugar just loves to pick on those kinda people. Guess she was right when she said Bilyana pretty much talked her way into the firing.

As for the products both teams sucked if you asked me. The boys just had a MUCH better strategy than the girls. How the **** they managed to make a grand selling a bus on a bag (that wasn't even done properly) and a teddy bear with a shirt on it is beyond me and that's after they had to give some money back. Just goes to show how bad the girls team really was on the day

On a side note I wanna know when this was filmed since I go Greenwich Uni and The Market is literally 30 seconds from there Surprised I managed to miss that happening so close to me

Merry Christmas

Status

CGS what do you study at Greenwich? I graduated last year from Greenwich.

Also Apprentice was pretty cool. The girls had a great product and I know Greenwich has quite alot of quirky shops that sell this kind of different stuff so they did well.

Also who was e g in blue at the shop near the end who told them off, did he work there or was he just a passer by?

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Weird you two went to the same Uni and didn't realise it.

Anyway, I didn't catch this last night as I was busy but I'll be watching it on iPlayer today, so I'll give my thoughts later.

And he scores goals...!

The EST of WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Flex Kavana View Post
    CGS what do you study at Greenwich? I graduated last year from Greenwich.

Also Apprentice was pretty cool. The girls had a great product and I know Greenwich has quite alot of quirky shops that sell this kind of different stuff so they did well.

Also who was e g in blue at the shop near the end who told them off, did he work there or was he just a passer by?
    Study Accounting & Finance right now maybe because I'm just in my 2nd year you must have started your final year when I just joined. Crazy stuff though indeed. What did you study down here?

Yeah it's no surprise they did well in Greenwich consider like you said theres a bunch of shops that would sell those kinda stuff. Could have even made a bit of money off other market traders.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

KISS: keep it simple, stupid.

The guys may have had nothing creative, but they had a simple product that was easy to sell. Plus, they had a basic understanding of how to sell.

The girls were a mess. I'm stunned they were able to walk around London Zoo selling stuff (if I was the zoo, I wouldn't be letting some third party group wonder around my property selling merch with my name on it), and they were **** at selling, never more evident than when a few complained at that one girl for "not letting other people have their go at selling". Clearly none of these morons have ever worked in sales.

Their product was miles better, but they weren't a team, they had no strategy, and had no clue what they were doing in general.

The EST of WC

Status
    What I don't get about the girls is why all four of them that went to the Zoo walked around together surely splitting up would have been more beneficial
    Last edited by CGS; 03-22-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    What I don't get about the girls is why all four of them that went to the Zoo walked around together surely splitting up would have been more beneficial
    Even as a group they were pretty worthless, god knows what would have happened if they'd split up

Ole!

Status

Thought it was very interesting but its shouldn't really be called the apprentice now due to them not actually working under Sir Alan but working next to him.

Right person went last night as she was just far too gobby.

No one is a stand out right now but it was the first episode.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    I don't know if anyone reacts like I do when watching The Apprentice, but I have a tendency to shout at the TV when they do idiotic things. Them going to the zoo in the first place was bad enough, but then going round in a team of 4, ganging up on kids with no money was moronic. As was pissing around making more shirts when they should of left for the Zoo, surely it doesn't take 8 series of this show to get across the point that London is a busy place to drive through

I also have a tendency to cringe when the contestants make bad pitches, reminds me of being at school having to do presentations and stumbling over my words

Awesome to see there's interest in this thread. Keep it up!

Merry Christmas

Status

It always makes me laugh because for the losers they find the grotiest looking cafe for them. And it happens to be empty with a giant table. Lol.

And if it was me and I had to make a design, it's pretty obvious what you go for. Ie the biggest event to hit London in Decades. Justcprint up bears and Tshirts with the rings and L12 written over them. Then hit the busiest streets, Oxford st etc... Aim for the tourists who will spend the most money on this crap. Not generic animals which not many will be interested in. At least the guys had the right idea, even though the flag was basic with no effort and the bus was a mess.

That's what I would do anyway.

The EST of WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I don't know if anyone reacts like I do when watching The Apprentice, but I have a tendency to shout at the TV when they do idiotic things. Them going to the zoo in the first place was bad enough, but then going round in a team of 4, ganging up on kids with no money was moronic. As was pissing around making more shirts when they should of left for the Zoo, surely it doesn't take 8 series of this show to get across the point that London is a busy place to drive through

I also have a tendency to cringe when the contestants make bad pitches, reminds me of being at school having to do presentations and stumbling over my words

Awesome to see there's interest in this thread. Keep it up!
    Yup I'm exactly the same when it comes to shouting at the TV Ed and I was doing it last night big time I was literally just amazed how they kept talking about taking turns like this is some kind of video game. It was smart for her to try and get all the sales herself. Sugar loves that stuff, Work as a team but go in it for yourself at the same time.

Also agreed about the bad pitches like you I just have to cringe at them.

@Flex that Cafe is Awesome. Perfect way to make them feel even more like ****

Merry Christmas

Status

Instead of moaning about her taking all the customers they should have stopped following her like lost sheep and found their own customers. It's business, she's gonna want to win so why would she share sales. God they sounded like school girls.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

First thing's first, apparently the show is down 1.4m viewers from last season's finale. I'm starting to think the concept is a little dated, and needs something new to freshen it up. Problem is coming up with what obviously, as too much change would also most probably ruin the show.

Anyway, onto the first episode. (this is going to be a bit of a ramble)

The start is just so cringe when everyone is firing out why they're so "great". For example, the woman who claimed she was an animal and was going to roar herself to the top, or the guy who was the "reflection of perfection". Cringe but so funny!

Line of the night goes to Sugar though when he asked if the guy in the boardroom was sweating. God that guy was drenched!

Face of the night, as always, goes to Nick. Some of the expressions he pulls are just hilarious. That should be reason enough to watch this show.

As for the actual task. I thought the girls product seemed better than the boys hugely simplistic crap (good line by the Tinie Tempah look-a-like when he said about the guys thinking outside of the box!) but as usual boys are better sellers. Not trying to be sexist (well, maybe a little) but the guys always seem to sell better than girls on this show. They seem to have the right mix of charm and pushy-ness.

As you guys have said, the girls annoyed me no end when they all stayed together to try and take it in turn selling. Ughhh, how about split up and multiply your sales by four you morons! Funny when the shop-keeper also told these four off for basically attacking the poor woman in the shop. Other than the Irish woman in this sub-group, who at least tried to discuss margins on the first day with a frankly clueless Team Leader, any of the the other three could have been in danger.

Okay, so despite the crap product, it's not really a surprise the guys won.

Then it's up to the architect to decide who she's going to bring back into the boardroom. Not really surprised she picked these two, though for me the Bulgarian was by far the strongest of the three going back in. If she'd put a few points across then kept her mouth shut, I think she'd have been safe. She clearly seemed the most competent, but she was insistent on talking over Sugar which is just a no-no! Despite being insistent on not liking people who are quiet at the start of the show (ie the Katie chick), it turns out he doesn't enjoy people who are noisy and talk over him either. It's a pity because I think with time Sugar would have liked the Bulgarian. She has the usual story that he enjoys as it's vaguely familiar to his own about coming from lowly beginnings. Oh well!

Like I said, Katie girl is very lucky as she did literally nothing but feed paper into a printer or some crap, and the Team Leader was so clueless about actual business acumen that I'm presuming she must have a fantastic idea and that's why she's on the show. That's a fair point actually. People should remember Sugar does know all these people's business ideas and that could play a part as to why people surprisingly stay sometimes.

Finally, my early pick to win is the "not so" Tinie Tempah look-a-like, cause like Ed said last night, it's written in the stars! BOOM!

And he scores goals...!

Relentless Admin

Status

I called tiny as the winner first ps

Merry Christmas

Status

I'll make my call next week still too early to decide.

Also PS makes a good point when he talks about Sugar knowing their business ideas. He may have already chosen a few he likes so regardless of the tasks these may have a better chance of getting through. I don't know. But I'm sure if they **** Sugar off they'll still be out, so I don't think he'll be too bias.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    First thing's first, apparently the show is down 1.4m viewers from last season's finale. I'm starting to think the concept is a little dated, and needs something new to freshen it up. Problem is coming up with what obviously, as too much change would also most probably ruin the show.
    It's still a strong rating for a Wednesday night, but yeah, BBC will have been hoping for a bit more.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

I said a 1.4m fall on last season's finale. My bad, I meant to say on last season's opening episode.

Apprentice is one of BBC's top programmes so I'm sure they'll be disappointed. Presume that doesn't factor in iPlayer and such though.

And he scores goals...!

Merry Christmas

Status

This may be because the new series TOUCH was on Sky 1 at that time and I for one was watching it. Caught Apprentice on catchup.
    It's bizarre I don't watch a whole lot of British TV so this was a rare occasion when there where two shows on I wanted to watch.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information