Thread: PC Gaming

Hire Russo

Status

PC Gaming

I was considering purchasing a gaming console like the PS3, XBox 360, and even Vita, but then realised my faovurite gaming experiences in the past have come from PC's, so why waste money on a whole console when I can just buy games for a machine that already supports gaming.

I'm a noob when it comes to technical terminology, so I don't know how to check if I have the lastest graphics card, but I have a1366 x 786 resolution and am running Windows 7. Is that good enough to play some of the more advanced games?

Also, what are some top modern PC games I can check out to really maximise my gaming experience? Any recommendations from the people of WC?

Discuss.

Don

Status

Re: PC Gaming

Skyrim is good on the PC, I played on it at a friends so I would certainly buy that which is able to play on Windows 7. You can use steam if you want to buy it straight from the computer but obviously you won't have the disk if one of your friends wanted to lend it. Windows 7 should be able to play most recent games on it.

The Whole Fucking Brand

Status
    In a Hovel, underneath a rock............ in Narnia

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

It's good, but scary as hell.

Heel Champion

Status

All i know is comming from first person shooters on PC, going to PS3 for FPS sucks balls. i hate analog sticks for aiming. I don't get it. and i just don't get how anyone can say its remotely better. Keyboard and mouse is smoother and easier than analog sticks. Therefore PC gaming has a slight edge. Plus RTS games

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

That doesn't give us much info on the PC performance. What we would need is that graphics card (you can find that by looking in Control Panel, then Hardware and Sound, then Device Manager - it should tell you under Display Adapters what your video card is), the RAM, and the CPU performance. What is needed is going to vary somewhat depending on the game.

Personally, I don't have a significant preference toward either console or PC. I have had an XBox 360 for years and have stacks of games. Approximately a year ago, I decided to build a gaming PC and have enjoyed it equally. I like that they both offer something slightly different.

In terms of technology, a top-end gaming PC is far more powerful than any of the existing consoles. Quite honestly, a top end gaming PC right now is more potent than the hardware proposals I've seen for the next generation of consoles. However, that advantage is mitigated by the reality that games are not advancing as quickly, meaning there are few titles that can take advantage of the edge in technology. This is partly because there are fewer PC-exclusive titles than previously. Game developers try to maximize profits by releasing titles that are ported across 360, PS3, and PC. That means that the version for PCs is not going to be much better than the console versions, at least not "out of the box".

The PC-exclusive titles tend to fall into two areas - MMORPGS and games that don't tend to adapt well to console (sports sims, some Real Time Strategy games). One of the reasons I built a gaming PC was that I enjoy a number of titles that don't translate (and/or are not available) on console and my laptop wouldn't run them very effectively. So I built a system that can run whatever I throw at it. It was not top end when I built and certainly not now, but I have yet to really challenge it and max out what it can do.

I mentioned before that most ported games on PC are not going to be much different from the console versions "out of the box". And therein is the greatest advantage of PC gaming - mod-ability. Most good games have strong communities of support that release a lot of mods that allow you do everything from have new maps to import real vehicles/locations to significantly upgrade the graphics of the game. There are already tons of stuff available for Skyrim. The Natural is a PC gamer and he has posted some awesome pics of what his modded version of GTA IV looks like on his system - it doesn't even look like the same game as on console. When I first build my PC, I bought Morrowind (an Elder Scrolls game from 2002) for something like $8 and then applied a bunch of mods. It took a bit of work but the result was a ten-year old game that looked pretty amazing.

Consoles do have an advantage in regard to being "plug n' play" - you don't have to mess with downloading the latest video drivers and so on. Its not something I've run into any real problems with on my PC - the only significant trouble I had was getting the mod package to work on Morrowind, but I was able to contact the developer and he helped me set it up.

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

#TGMTEL

Status

Time for my inner hardcore gamer to come in.

The Witcher, Starcraft, Diablo, Crysis, The Total War series, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, League of Legends, Dota, Warcraft.

The list goes on and on my friend.

~!~

Status

Idk if you're an FPS guy, but I heard Battlefield 3 was awesome on PC. I'm more of a console guy, so just going by what I heard. Honestly the last PC game I played was Far Cry: Instincts

-----------------

Status

there's a website you can check that will tell you if you can run certain games at minimum and recommended settings.

Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements

Hire Russo

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    That doesn't give us much info on the PC performance. What we would need is that graphics card (you can find that by looking in Control Panel, then Hardware and Sound, then Device Manager - it should tell you under Display Adapters what your video card is), the RAM, and the CPU performance. What is needed is going to vary somewhat depending on the game.
    Intel HD graphics
    RAM - 6GB
    Processor - Intel Core i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz

I was thinking of getting LA Noire and Batman: Arkham City, will that support those games?

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Last edited by -3:16-; 03-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Good process and a good amount of RAM. Not sure how potent that integrated graphics processor is. That will be the possible bottle-neck. Good chance you could run both Batman and LA Noire but at nowhere near max graphics settings. Check out the link that Duke provided to see what it indicates.

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

Status

Download CPU-Z, it's a free program that allows you to check your computer parts and hardware whenever you want.

Hire Russo

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Good process and a good amount of RAM. Not sure how potent that integrated graphics processor is. That will be the possible bottle-neck. Good chance you could run both Batman and LA Noire but at nowhere near max graphics settings. Check out the link that Duke provided to see what it indicates.
    Technically my PC isn't able to play the games. However, I've looked at videos on Youtube where people are playing them games without hesitation using the same CPU and graphics as mine. So I'm half half.

Thread Information