Thread: Why 2012 is worse than 2011

Heel Champion

Status

Why 2012 is worse than 2011

Why 2012 will not be as good as 2011.

Hey guys, its me. I was wondering a few days ago about the build up that WWE had previously in 2011 compared to 2012 regarding WrestleMania and the events that this year and 2011 have/will be producing. Now these are a few arguments/notes/points that I want to get some feedback on.

1. The whole year of 2012 will just revolve around John Cena and The Rock.
    Straight out, if WWE are having this as the feud of the whole year then it will be draining. Unlike Rock vs. Hogan or Rock vs. Austin these two have been at each other for about 2 years now on television and social media. Also the whole feud has been just on twitter, basically the entire feud has been twitter and whenever the two actually speak and talk to each other on any show, they always gotta bring up Twitter for some reason. I know that it is a good website and all but jeez take it easy on Twitter, WWE has been overdoing Twitter since Mid 2011. Also another thing is that these two never take breaks, well the Rock sure does however Cena will always be there and I have a feeling that he will also be popping up at paces every week this year. I know it is the biggest match ever but doesn't 2012 seem to late to have this feud. In my opinion the two could have wrestled at last year's WrestleMania 27 event.

1.1. Midcarder's/Upper Midcarders and lower level talent won't be happy.

The lower level talent will not be happy? why they will be pished aside while these two just keep on yapping. And I just noticed that next week these two are going to waste 20 - 30 minutes on another segment which will be meaningless.
    Now WWE this is not what The Rock or Cena are like, I remember Rock as someone who destroyed guys after his promos and laying the SmackDown on them. However WWE have played the whole feud wrong and they aren't letting the two brawl at all, not one bit. The only close things we have had violent between the two were when Rock would Rock Bottom Cena at WrestleMania 27 and then do the same again at Survivor Series 2011. There is basically no violence in this feud not even a tiny bit of a brawl which is separated by security. The whole feud has been Twitter, let's just admit that.

1.2. Hype.
    By the title of this point Hype is what this feud has been as well. It was hyped throughout Twitter and also it has been airing and running commercials on Raw, SD, NXT, Superstars and etc. However this feud is hyped to the limit, that if the match turns out to be garbage fans will be ranting, complaining and exaggerating over the fact that they wasted 50 bucks to purchase the "People's WrestleMania" and they end up with something that is worthless, that is also regarding the other matches that have been booked. 2011 barley had any hype compared to this year's hype between the two.

2. 2011 had better feuds
    Straight out, 2011 compared to 2012 so far had put on better feuds. Now don't start posting to me that oh keep moving on however the matches that have been put out this year have been horrible. We have had Drew McIntyre get buried countless times, Swagger, Ziggler, Henry, Christian and among others whom were former World Champions who were invovled in great build ups last year they have all been getting pushed aside. In late 2010/Early part of 2011 McIntyre, Ziggler, Swagger were all taken seriously these guys were in contention for the WHC in 2010 and now they are nothing but jobbers.

Also we 2011 in the months of January, February, March and April had feuds like Edge and Del Rio, Miz and Cena, Orton and Punk and Undertaker and Triple H. Those WM builds ups from last year blow this year's out of the water.

Has there been any feud that has had build up besides Taker/Undertaker and Rock/Cena?

3. WWE used more variety of superstars last year around this time than they are doing this year so far.
    We had The Miz as WWE Champion, Edge as World Heavyweight Champion, Wade Barrett as Intercontinental Champion, Sheamus as United States Champion, Eve as Divas Champion and then we had Santino and Kozlov as Tag team Champions.

Now fast forward this year, we may have some decent champions in Bryan and Punk but the tag team titles are gone, they are buried, let's forget it and say that it doesn't exist anymore. Then the Divas title which is close to being defunct.

With the talent last year guys like Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, The Miz, R-Truth and many more midcarders were transformed into main eventers. It might have been only for about a few months however WWE did a nice job with these guys reaching the main event scene, then SuperShow had to happen and they went back to being lower/mid card guys.
    In 2012 it looks like every midcarder is overshadowed by The Rock and John Cena, the Title picture feuds as well as some of the Upper Mid Carders.

In my own opinion WWE began to fade and get worse around Novembe 2011. Guys were being buried and it began all the hype on Cena, The Rock and more garbage.

Hope you see were I am coming with this, I just think 2011's build up used better techniques and now we are stuck with some messy things happening, not many guys are featured on this year's WrestleMania 28 and comparing it to last year well, The Miz as WWE Champion was the best I have been in ages, and he beat Cena as well to remain champion was even better, however compare that with this year? the storytelling was way better with that feud then it is with the whole Punk vs. Y2J feud IMO.

Hope you know where I am coming from, feel free to post your thoughts as well, you may not read the whole post however you can post some things that you either agree/disagree with.

Straight out 2012 will be nothing more then a Political Year in 2012. WWE actually went away from all politics and stuff during 2009 however they brand it back just after SummerSlam 2011, with the whole HHH, Nash and Punk thing. Now this is just a big joke. That is why 2011 well the let's say the first 8 months of 2011 were good for the WWE compared to now and what is has become.
    Last edited by BackBone; 03-07-2012 at 06:13 AM.

HOF Thing Is Fucking BS

Status

Re: Why 2012 is worse than 2011

Hi BackBone,

I don't mean to sound rude here but I disagree with almost every point made so far.

1) The Rock vs Cena may or may not last the whole year, but I don't see it lasting beyond Summerslam. Yes, they could have had it ME last year, but they didn't, so now we have something to look forward to. Plus I'd much rather have a long Rock/Cena war than see anymore Cena/Kane-esque feuds for the sake of it.

2) 'WWE have played the whole feud wrong and they aren't letting the two brawl at all, not one bit' - Errrr ... good. What's the point in having the match of the century if the 2 are already fighting out of the ring? The match at WM will be the first time they lock horns, first time they get an chance at each other, making it more important. That's how you book Dream Matches.

3) " if the match turns out to be garbage fans will be ranting, complaining and exaggerating over the fact that they wasted 50 bucks to purchase the "People's WrestleMania" and they end up with something that is worthles " - Not really sure the WWE is bothered as long as they get the 50 bucks in the first place. Besides, I can guarantee that the crowd will make the match, not the work itself. It'll be good, have faith.

4) 2011 had better feuds - Hmmm... We are barely into March, how can you possibly know that. Ziggler is more of a ME than he ever was last year. We've had a great Punk vs Laurinitis feud, a mini Punk vs Ziggler feud, Punk vs Jericho and Wade vs Orton, not to mention Sheamus winning the Rumble. The whole point of Jan and Feb is to build for Wrestlemania. Punk/Jericho, Rock/Cena, Sheamus/Bryan and Taker/HHH is so much better than last years dirge its beyond comparison.

Oh and Edge/Del Rio and Miz/Cena were awful feuds.

3. "WWE used more variety of superstars last year around this time than they are doing this year so far."

Last year =
    The Miz as WWE Champion, Edge as World Heavyweight Champion, Wade Barrett as Intercontinental Champion, Sheamus as United States Champion, Eve as Divas Champion and then we had Santino and Kozlov as Tag team Champions.

This year = Punk as WWE Champ, Daniel Bryan as WHC, Cody Rhodes as Intercontinental Champ, Santino//Swagger as US Champ, Beth as Divas Champ, Epico/Primo as Tag Champs.

What on earth are you talking about, we have a 2 time WWE champ (who only won it for the first time halfway through 2011), a brand new WHC, a brand new IC Champ, a brand new Tag Team becoming champs in Epico//Primo and Beth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eve.

This year is about 5 times fresher. You also say "
    the tag team titles are gone, they are buried, let's forget it and say that it doesn't exist anymore."which is incidentally my favourite topic, but yet you prefer Santino and Kozlov to Epico and Primo? Naw Daw. Naw.

The WWE is in its best position for years and years. You have arguably the 2 best in ring competitors as World Champs, one of the hottest young stars in the company as a long term IC Champ and an up and coming Tag (who actually are a natural team) leading the way. Better still, you have Del Rio to come back if things need a little freshening, and probably the strongest developmental roster since the Lesnar, Tista, Cena class.

You obviously don't care about Cena//Rock, but man alive, I am pumped for that match. The Miz/Cena from last years mania was a joke. Nearly the worst match of the year. It honestly seems you are just complaining for complaining sake, because I can't believe that these opinions are actually real.
    REPRESENTING THE ARGENTINA SINCE 16/05/2014THOSE

King Of WrestlingClique 2013
    KOWC 2014 Coming to a forum near you very soon.... I think... Ask Nicky

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Uchiha View Post
    Maybe it's the generation gap I have with people on some forums probably not here, I say this site has a great value of intelligent members in every section of the forum but a little frustrated let me tell you the story. As you know I'm apart of a shit load of forums and one of them seems to be in chaos. You have a Owner who barely is on the site these days, and only made one Global Moderator for the forum. It seems the chaos has gotten so bad members mostly younger members are using racist and gay slurs to their answers in debate. Legit I saw three threads where members put f***** and that's it. Yesterday I rage over these members I basically told them to stop that, it gives no value to what you're saying in a post. No one will take you seriously if you using such words just to say it. Shoot even the sb is a jungle full of chaos with the same situation. I came to the G-Mod and said hey you're in charge of this forum, you let shit go under the rug why did I say that? Well last week a member came into my LD for Impact and spoiled the whole show for most people. I went in the sb for the forum and said hey man this guy is fucking up the experience for people in the sb can you do something. He pretty much knew this member and told me he's done this before so I'm thinking it took me to say something for you to act? Also a month ago I had a problem with a member named Nero where randomly out of no where he puts racist pics of Hispanic doing crimes, eating Tacos etc! I was like one I never talked about this guy the purpose of this. Again this G-Mod knew about his antics as well as Puls3 the Admin. A month before this I told the Admin he was a problem putting down new members left and right. Thank God I screencaped his actions and he hasn't been there since. Okay now back to the Global Mod I took it twitter and told the guy straight up you don't act because you love the slurping of your dick from members. He's doesn't want to mend fences pretty much and besides setting up a league for the forum for WWE 2k14 he does nothing for the forum. Now I want to talk to Puls3 personally because his rules are being broken left and right and his staff in charge is doing nothing by joining in the fun. I have a plan to get two or three other staff members who I think will be fair and firm when needed should I talk to him. I know I'm taking it seriously but I love this forum like I love this forum and I don't want it to be spoiled like Milk you feel me? Also on twitter and on the forum a bunch of little kids came to box with me when I was speaking my mind and I told them grow some hair on your chest before talking to me lol

Spoiler:

Fire and blood

Status

Good post, Backbone, but there is a lot of assertions I disagree with.

Look at number 2: you talk about Drew McIntyre being buried countless times. Was he that much better off in 2011 when he was losing every week trying to get Kelly Kelly's affection? An even better example: Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler in early 2011 was made to look like the biggest joke in wrestling, and he even won the World Title in the process. Sheamus, now going onto a Wrestlemania main event, was on a losing streak in early 2011, whereas Bryan was barely on TV. Edge and Del Rio wasn't a good feud at all - it was barely built and the feud revolved around Christian vs Del Rio more. Does Triple H vs Undertaker from last year, which had two promos leading up to the match (and that's it!) trump this year's which has been building for months, or even an entire year when you consider subtle things like Triple H saying "I ended the Undertaker's streak". Miz vs Cena was barely a feud until the last two weeks before Wrestlemania 27.

As for point 3. What did Sheamus do as US Champion? He beat Bryan and lost to Kofi and that's it. What did Barrett do with the IC Title? He beat Kofi and lost to Ezekiel Jackson. Both their title reigns were unforgettable. Rhodes' reign has been, for some reason, quite overrated recently but he still has had a more significant reign than both Barrett and Sheamus did with their midcard title. Eve did nothing as Divas champion (she won it randomly in a fatal four way). Dolph was never a main eventer and was a joke; Morrison had his push inexplicably cut short.

I have to say then, I totally disagree. It's far too early to tell whether 2012 will be better or worse: they're exchanging positives. For every Kane vs Cena feud in 2012, you had Dolph vs Edge in 2011. While Cena and Rock are getting all the attention (understandably so!), it takes up 30 minutes of TV time a week, which is about right for the big draw on the card. Hell, a similar thing happened with Cena and Rock last year, and they weren't even wrestling one another.

It also seems that your memory of 2011 is selective. Guys like Sheamus and Barrett were big names with midcard titles, but they didn't do anything with it. Really, you're no better or worse as a midcard now as you usually are in Wrestlemania season.

Heel Champion

Status

I respect your opinions, just that one thing bugs me is that WWE were on the uprise around that time and they fell again during mid 2011 after whole Triple H as COO angle, Nash coming back for no exact reason and feuding with Punk and then it turned into a game of Wrestling Politics again, people were not seen on television, guys were released for no reason even though I thought the deserved something bigger, guys like the Miz, R-Truth and Swagger were all future World Champion/Contender's and went to jobbing and became mid carders.

And also IMO this whole year will just be centered around Rock and Cena.

I respect your opinions, just that this whole 2012 thing and how it has been booked thus far has been disappointing.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BackBone View Post
    And also IMO this whole year will just be centered around Rock and Cena.

I respect your opinions, just that this whole 2012 thing and how it has been booked thus far has been disappointing.
    You do know that Rocky is making movies again soon dont you?

Thank you Malcom

Status

Wasn't the past year set around rock and Cena? Comparing just this year so far vs the same period last year it has been far better. More solid feuds, better feuds and some incredible build up to mania. And I expect more great things to come this year.
    Shit.....You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Indy Talent

Status

In my opinion wrestling has been in a whole downturn since the Attitude Era, yea I said it but since this thread really isn't about that I'll just digress on the whole thing. Not really in favor of the whole PG level of the product as it is presented. I guess I'm not really in the target audience of kids/young adults, being in my 30's and all.

As far as this years Mania, there are certain aspects I'm liking and certain ones I couldn't care a less about. The Rock/Cena feud is fun at times but just fairly repetitive at this point. Bryan/Sheamus is fun but isn't getting the build I would like to see out of a match of this caliber. Same with Punk and Jericho. Undertaker/Trips is a far better build then last year. The Long/Johnny match is of absolute no interest to me in the least little bit. As far as your twitter point I totally agree, I really could give two ****s of what is trending and what isn't. I really don't want vignettes or match replays unless it is viable in a build of a storyline, otherwise, it is a time sink that really is a waste of my time. Thank god for DVR.

Either way the product isn't what it once was and that's ok I will still watch if only out of curiosity. As well as me having my favorites, as we all do, mainly Punk, Sheamus, and Taker (seeing as I have followed all 3 their entire wrestling career).
    Last edited by MorbidTakerFan; 03-07-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post

Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses

Status

You can't really judge 2012 until after Wrestlemania, because almost your entire post revolves around Cena/Rock. Wait until Wrestlemania is done and over with, and then see if what you say actually happens.

Status

I remember pre-Wrestlemania 2011 being pretty rough. Miz vs Orton and Kane vs Edge headlined the Royal Rumble, the Miz's title reign was solid but nothing great, and the awesome midcard they had by the end of the year was just barely being formed. From Wrestlemania on it was awesome, and one of the best years WWE has had in a while. I am not saying that post-Mania 2012 will be better than post-Mania 2011, but certainly I would give these first three months the advantage over last year's.

Go read my TNA BTB.

The FCW Guy
    formerly SSA

Status

2011 was boring except the short Summer of Punk, the luke warm arrival of Sin Cara, R-Truth turning heel (it was good at first), and the upturn in Daniel Bryan's career.

2012 isn't the best, but you have Bryan as WHC and there's the possibility of a lot of good developmental talent joining the main brands...specifically Ambrose and Rollins.

I'm over ROCKY vs Cena too.

I'm not buying Mania, so you guys can enjoy your 60 minutes of video packages, 80 minutes of wrestling, 40 minutes of ring entrances, and 60 minutes of shenanigans. I'll be ordering the new best of Bryan Danielson, Roderick Strong, and Summer of Punk DVDs from ROH instead. You should too!
    Last edited by Sabin Shelley Army; 03-07-2012 at 09:44 PM.

oG $wank

Status

This is clearly a premature thread. It's the third month of 2012, and even though this is kind of a projection thread, it's still hard to see 9 months into WWE's future, because of it's unpredictable nature. I'm sure that early in 2011 a lot of folks were thinking we'd have a year full of Cena, Miz, and Orton again, but instead CM Punk has had a long, memorable reign as WWE champion, Daniel Bryan turned into a super heel and won the world title, and even Mark Henry finally reached the mountain top and got a run as a great heel champion on Smackdown, and I think, it turned out great. This year was nothing but a plethora of twists and turns and shockers, if you're looking back on what was expected at least.

Some of the points I'd counter would be point 2 and that is due to the fact that you can't even make a claim like that this early on. You can't just say that last years feuds beat this years. We're 3 months in, once again, and even with that being said, I'd say that all four of the big feuds on the 'Mania card are at least mildly interesting. Cena/Rock is preparing to come to a head, Trips/Taker/HBK is off the chain, Punk/Jericho of course is a dream feud (though it's not been living to it's full potential), and they're starting to develop Bryan/Sheamus, which by Mania will somehow, someway be big.

Around this time last year, Miz and Cena had been feuding and that was ok. Rock added more dynamic to it and motivated people to watch. Triple H and Taker had a good feud, but it wasn't as good because there was less to work with. Since this year is a rematch, there's more ammo to work with. Del Rio versus Edge was absolutely terrible, and Orton versus Punk was a bit uninspired. Really, last year's top feud heading into WM was Rhodes/Mysterio as far as I was concerned.

Sure, things heated up in the noon of Money In The Bank, but it's not the summer yet, we still don't know what they've got in store for that season.

Furthermore, in point 3 you point out the midcarders being turned into main eventers... what the hell are you talking about? Dolph got embarassed by Edge, JoMo had one good showing at Elimination Chamber, Jack was Michael Cole's crony, I don't even know that Truth had a match at WrestleMania... Miz was the only acceptable example in that entire paragraph. And as Nash pointed out, your champion argument is also null and void. The people holding the titles right now are fifty times better than the ones who were holding the title then, bar Santino (who just won the gold, so it's hard to judge). I mean, hell, Cody has had the title for what, 7, 8 months? There were at least 3 champions within that same time frame last year, and I kept on forgetting that there even was an IC title because of how little they appeared and defended it. Cody doesn't defend it really often, but by bringing back the classic title, he brought in a strap that instantly draws attention and helps you identify him as the man.

It's hard for me to agree with very many of your points at all, quite frankly, but I'm not going to say it wasn't a good thought. But I think you're jumping the gun in trying to already put 2012 on trial when it's not a quarter of the way over yet. Give it some time, buddy.

The EC: Good for Business.

=======================================================
    ~~||*
    CLICK TO CHECK OUT THE WWF 2001: THE ICON INVADES BTB *||~~​
    ~~||* CLICK TO CHECK OUT THE WWE MMVI: THEN. NOW. FOREVER BTB *||~~
    =======================================================

Thread Information