Thread: Villas Boas sacked by Chelsea

Don

Status
    Vcash

Villas Boas sacked by Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Sports
    Chelsea have confirmed that manager Andre Villas-Boas has been sacked and that making a change was the club's 'only option'.

Villas-Boas only took charge at Stamford Bridge last summer following the departure of Carlo Ancelotti, but has endured a difficult time at the helm.

A 1-0 defeat at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday proved to be the final straw for owner Roman Abramovich and Roberto Di Matteo has now been placed in charge until the end of the season.

A club statement read: "Andre Villas-Boas has parted company with Chelsea Football Club today.

"The board would like to record our gratitude for his work and express our disappointment that the relationship has ended so early.

"Unfortunately the results and performances of the team have not been good enough and were showing no signs of improving at a key time in the season.

"The club is still competing in the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League and the FA Cup, as well as challenging for a top-four spot in the Premier League, and we aim to remain as competitive as possible on all fronts.

"With that in mind we felt our only option was to make a change at this time.

"With immediate effect Roberto Di Matteo has been appointed first-team coach on an interim basis until the end of the season."
    What are your thoughts on this? I honestly saw it coming but think it's a little unfair.

Tommy Got Hacked

Re: Villas Boas sacked by Chelsea

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Wrestling Masochist

Status
    Vcash

Obviously sacking Ancelotti was the biggest joke of all.

However, for AVB, I thought he was doing too much too soon. Chelsea were in a really difficult position: he was doing worse than Scolari did, to put it in perspective, but the reason Chelsea aren't challenging for titles is that they've chopped and changed so much. They either had to get rid, again, and maybe increase the problem, or ride it out despite the bad results. It's a difficult scenario.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status
    Vcash

I feel a little sorry for AVB. I'm surprised they sacked him before the return leg against Napoli but it was always going to be a matter of time if they continued to lose so many games. I'm sure he'll be back in a job soon though when the Inter post becomes available!

Would be cool if Di Matteo did well now as I actually like him.

Don't play the odds, play the man!

Wrestling Masochist

Status
    Vcash

Also, Rafa would be a fantastic appointment if they went for him. Might even get Torres firing again (Torres was never the same after Rafa left and they're great friends).

The players certainly did AVB no favours. Really egotystical, power hungry dressing room there.

Its Cold Outside

Status
    Vcash

The problem with Chelsea is the older players, they're a poison at Chelsea and should be removed.

None of them have really bust a gut for AVB.

RIP Warrior

21-1

Status
    Vcash

It's mainly the fault of the dressing room rather than AVB himself that this occured. I mean he did do himself no favours with his tactics but at the same time the Chelsea team are pretty damn egotistical and most likely didn't want someone the same age as them telling them what to do. It was always gonna be a tough job for him but once he lost the respect of the changing room he was gonna go.Not to mention Chelsea are in a time of transition. Most of the players there are getting past it and AVB inherited that alongside a Torres who can't score to save his life. He needed more time but was never gonna get it.

The question now is who will take over? Rafa won't last there tbh but he'd been the ideal choice for Roman simply because like Roman he cares more about the Champo League than the league itself.

21-1
    EAT. SLEEP. BREAK THE STREAK

Tommy Got Hacked

21-1

Status
    Vcash

Yeah I've heard the Pep rumor too but I can't see him leaving Barca anytime soon

21-1
    EAT. SLEEP. BREAK THE STREAK

Wrestling Masochist

Status
    Vcash

AVB is almost certainly going to follow, once again, in Mourinho's footsteps by taking over Inter Milan in the summer. Possibly the only major club in the world with a more impatient chairman than Chelsea with a squad that's desperately in need of an overhaul.

Rafa, Guardiola and Mourinho are the three favourites from what I've heard. I'd say the likeliness of Guardiola is almost non-existant; Mourinho is fairly likely, depending on how much Abramovic is willing to let him spend in the summer; Rafa is very likely.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status
    Vcash

Mourinho just said a couple of days ago he wouldn't go back to Chelsea. I guess things can change but I don't expect him to be taking charge.

Guardiola is out of contract at the end of the season and it's well documented that he is looking for a fresh challenge sometime soon but again I can't really see it being Chelsea.

Out of those three, Rafa seems the most probable but I just don't rate him personally. I saw Capello getting linked to it as well.

Don't play the odds, play the man!

The Forger

Status
    Vcash

Real weird timing.

I honestly thought they wouldn't upset the team too much while they're still in the FA Cup & Champions League, if anything this makes their progress in both more unlikely now. Also weird how Di Matteo will have the job until the end of the season, so it's not as if he's making way for someone else to come in straight away, they're still in managerial limbo.

I personally would've waited until the end of the season until making a decision. Still, the fact they waited overnight rather than doing it immediately after the West Brom game suggests they at least slept on the decision before making it.

Squash Fodder

Status
    Vcash

IMO they should of just let him finish out the season at least. Playing musical managers is never a good idea.

GMT Admin

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    IMO they should of just let him finish out the season at least. Playing musical managers is never a good idea.
    I don't know, it does work sometimes. Albion sacked Di Matteo this time last year, brought in Roy and we ended up having our best finish in 30 years. What it's not a good idea to do is sack a manager in a kneejerk reaction to one game without giving serious thought to a replacement. I'm thrilled that Robbie is getting another chance at management, he was harshly sacked by us so perhaps we've paid him back by freeing up the Chelsea job

I think what did AVB right from the start is pissing off too many of the 'untouchables' at Chelsea, Lampard and Terry are pretty damn close to Roman, too close for a player-chairmen relationship IMO, so to alienate Lampard especially was an ignorant move and showed his inexperience. They just didn't look like a team playing for each other yesterday, too many egos, and some of them probably don't have much respect for their manager. Thing is, they do need changing, that team that won 3 titles in 5 or 6 years is getting on in age, certainly the spine of it in Terry, Lampard and Drogba, but I think AVB just went about it in totally the wrong way.

This is classic Chelsea though, something's the matter, well lets just throw more money at it and see if it makes the situation better. I concur with Tommy, I really hope they are the team that misses out on 4th.

Squash Fodder

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I don't know, it does work sometimes. Albion sacked Di Matteo this time last year, brought in Roy and we ended up having our best finish in 30 years. What it's not a good idea to do is sack a manager in a kneejerk reaction to one game without giving serious thought to a replacement. I'm thrilled that Robbie is getting another chance at management, he was harshly sacked by us so perhaps we've paid him back by freeing up the Chelsea job

I think what did AVB right from the start is pissing off too many of the 'untouchables' at Chelsea, Lampard and Terry are pretty damn close to Roman, too close for a player-chairmen relationship IMO, so to alienate Lampard especially was an ignorant move and showed his inexperience. They just didn't look like a team playing for each other yesterday, too many egos, and some of them probably don't have much respect for their manager. Thing is, they do need changing, that team that won 3 titles in 5 or 6 years is getting on in age, certainly the spine of it in Terry, Lampard and Drogba, but I think AVB just went about it in totally the wrong way.

This is classic Chelsea though, something's the matter, well lets just throw more money at it and see if it makes the situation better. I concur with Tommy, I really hope they are the team that misses out on 4th.
    It may just be that I feel a fresh start for a new manager is better overall but that just my opinion. I echo your words regarding Chelsea when it comes to throwing around money without putting more thought into it.

By the way didn't he **** off players by saying he didn't need their support or something like that?

Tommy Got Hacked

Thread Information