Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Hollywood losing creativity?

  1. #1
    DAMMIT~!
    Jack Bauer's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    11,820
    Rep Power
    7895

    Hollywood losing creativity?

    Someone on another forum I post at pointed this out to me, and it's really interesting, but pretty much all of this summers blockbusters are prequels/sequels/trilogies/remakes. There is really nothing HUGE coming out that is new. I mean just look at this list of blockbusters coming out from April-August.

    American Reunion
    The Avengers
    Prometheus
    Men In Black 3
    This is Forty
    Madagascar 3
    Star Trek 2
    The Amazing Spiderman
    Ice Age: Continental Drift
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Total Recall
    G.I. Joe 2
    The Bourne Legacy
    The Expendables 2

    The only ones not on that list that I would really care to see that aren't one of the aforementioned sequels or whatnot are Southern Rivals, I Hate You Dad, and Neighborhood Watch, which are all comedies. Go figure. What is your take on this and do you expect next summer to be better or do you think the trend will continue? Is Hollywood losing its creativity?


    ----------------





  2. #2
    Intercontinental Champion
    Lghikas's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Posts
    1,989
    Rep Power
    1229

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Yes and No. I would definitely agree in terms on the big Money Blockbusters, but that doesn't mean at all that there aren't original movies out there, you just have to go out a look for them. But with that being said, I'm not fully sure it's due to a lack of creativity but more about Piracy, with downloading movies such a problem for the industry, they are less likely to take a chance on a movie they don't think will make money. So generally sequels, remakes and prequels are a sure fire bet to make money.

  3. #3
    *TBA* SMOD

    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    TARDIS
    Posts
    17,064
    Rep Power
    9501

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    The majority of those films are going to make boatloads of money for the studios releasing them, so the point is moot. Hollywood doesn't really care about being creative anymore, its all about the cash. Besides, there has to be a decided lack of creativity in blockbuster films now because they don't want to exclude any potential audience members because of a fear of them "not getting it". Granted Inception was an exception to this rule, but its been the only relatively unique blockbuster in awhile. Perhaps you're confusing the term "creative" with "unique" though, because I can certainly see several of those films being creative while not being necessarily unique.

    As far as the future goes, the trend will certainly progress. Basically every idea has been done before, so its hard to ask them to do new things. However, there will still be certain cases where films come along that satisfy your desire for creativity. In fact, John Carter and The Hunger Games are two such films coming sooner than you think.


    John Carpenter's Escape from L.A. | Opera | The Hunt | Wonderland | Flannel Pajamas | The Mist | Johnny Handsome | Enemy | The Silence of the Lambs | Godzilla (2014) | Sleepers


    Ask Fuji | 2014 Movie Log

    WC's WWE Fave Five HAS RETURNED! Get involved HERE~!



    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Grimes
    i tried saying you only got paid 35 cents a month but they wouldnt listen








  4. #4
    I Am Not Your Daddy
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,453
    Rep Power
    3592

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Hollywood hasn't really had a period of great creativity since the 1970s, when you had a period of where directors had a great deal of power and many were allowed to be auteurs. That all changed with the advent of the blockbuster and the disaster of Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate. The producer is the one with the most power now, followed by the studio. There are a limited number of director's who have the kind of pull and power to do almost any project they want.

    Yet despite this, there continues to be really good, artistic, and original films put out every year by Hollywood.

    Hollywood has certainly become risk adverse. But its not new. Sequels and remakes are pretty easy sells because there is some type of history there. Some degree of build-in fanbase. That is not likely to change.


    Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.



  5. #5
    Squash Fodder

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    There are still few people with creativity in hollywood as it has been mentioned by Papa remakes and sequels are easier to sell and that is what hollywood is looking for an easy sell. Unfortunately IMO this trend will continue until new generations loose ties/interest with franchises. What really gets under my skin is when they want to remake classics which I think sometimes is unnecessary, for example there are rumors about remaking The Godfather, there is absolutely no reason for it I saw the films years after their original releases and it still holds up even today. But some people just want money and don't care about telling a story anymore.

    There are plenty of good creative films out there you just have to look beyond hollywood,

  6. #6
    Indy Talent

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The States by way of Ireland
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    92

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    What really gets under my skin is when they want to remake classics which I think sometimes is unnecessary, for example there are rumors about remaking The Godfather, there is absolutely no reason for it I saw the films years after their original releases and it still holds up even today. But some people just want money and don't care about telling a story anymore.
    This is my biggest quirk with Hollywood. Actually it isn't a quirk it is a specific 'RAGE' point. When I hear of classics being re-made it literally sends me into a blood boiling rage. As for creativity, just go indy films, hollywood still has a few decent movies a year. Either way you will be wading through **** to find the pearls. Just the way H-wood is in this day in time.

    Note: Literally I watch most every movie that hits the box office every week, whether I want to or not, just to critic the quality and compare it to what I thought of the movie pre viewing as opposed to post viewing.

    So far this year (2012) I've found one movie that had both a positive light pre and post viewings. Usually in a given year I'll have in between 3-5 movies that hit such a mark, in my mind.
    Last edited by MorbidTakerFan; 03-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.







    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post


    Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses


  7. #7
    No

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    5,373
    Rep Power
    90

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    I've learnt that it makes absolutely zero sense to get made when Hollywood remakes a "classic"

    No one is forcing you to watch the new version, it doesn't ruin the integrity of the original...in fact you can make it so it does not affect your life in any way, shape or form.



  8. #8
    Squash Fodder

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suffy View Post
    I've learnt that it makes absolutely zero sense to get made when Hollywood remakes a "classic"

    No one is forcing you to watch the new version, it doesn't ruin the integrity of the original...in fact you can make it so it does not affect your life in any way, shape or form.
    They would advertise it to hell and you wouldn't be able to not hear about it so in a way it does. What makes me mad overall for example is that there are plenty of good books out there that would make great films, but instead we get a remake of a movie or a show that was on tv years ago.

    You wouldn't touch up on a Monet painting would you?

  9. #9
    I Am Not Your Daddy
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,453
    Rep Power
    3592

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    They would advertise it to hell and you wouldn't be able to not hear about it so in a way it does. What makes me mad overall for example is that there are plenty of good books out there that would make great films, but instead we get a remake of a movie or a show that was on tv years ago.

    You wouldn't touch up on a Monet painting would you
    ?
    Not a particular valid comparison... Unless they are filming the new version over the original and making that original unavailable... And while it can be tough to escape ads, PVR technology now means that you can watch a show or event at your leisure and skip commercials if you choose.


    Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.



  10. #10
    *TBA* SMOD

    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    TARDIS
    Posts
    17,064
    Rep Power
    9501

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Not a particular valid comparison... Unless they are filming the new version over the original and making that original unavailable... And while it can be tough to escape ads, PVR technology now means that you can watch a show or event at your leisure and skip commercials if you choose.
    Also, to be fair, its not like every film that's remade was a Monet to begin with. Leave it to the master himself, Alfred Hitchcock, to sum this up with his thoughts on his remake of his own film, The Man Who Knew Too Much....

    "“Let’s say that the first version is the work of a talented amateur and the second was made by a professional.”


    John Carpenter's Escape from L.A. | Opera | The Hunt | Wonderland | Flannel Pajamas | The Mist | Johnny Handsome | Enemy | The Silence of the Lambs | Godzilla (2014) | Sleepers


    Ask Fuji | 2014 Movie Log

    WC's WWE Fave Five HAS RETURNED! Get involved HERE~!



    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Grimes
    i tried saying you only got paid 35 cents a month but they wouldnt listen








  11. #11
    Squash Fodder

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Not a particular valid comparison... Unless they are filming the new version over the original and making that original unavailable... And while it can be tough to escape ads, PVR technology now means that you can watch a show or event at your leisure and skip commercials if you choose.
    Lol possibly not the best comparison but my overall point is id rather see something else on the screen other than a remake.But lets say they were doing a one hour television series of The Godfather through HBO or something I would be more open to that than having it remade. Like Fuji Vice said every remake may not be a masterpiece but again would rather they try something else. Also not everyone has that technology<_< so I can't escape them yet lol.

    Well HBO did the Sopranos so it should go to another network lol.
    Last edited by The Count; 03-05-2012 at 11:44 PM.

  12. #12
    No

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    5,373
    Rep Power
    90

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    O no poor you...you have to listen to commercials!!!! Gasp...how awful and devastating...man up.

    Seriously no one is sitting you down, making you pay 10$ to see the remake. No one is coming to your house and stealing your dvd copy of the original. Just ignore it, it's quite simple. But to get upset/angry/emotional in the slightest over a remake movie is just asinine.



  13. #13
    Squash Fodder

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suffy View Post
    O no poor you...you have to listen to commercials!!!! Gasp...how awful and devastating...man up.

    Seriously no one is sitting you down, making you pay 10$ to see the remake. No one is coming to your house and stealing your dvd copy of the original. Just ignore it, it's quite simple. But to get upset/angry/emotional in the slightest over a remake movie is just asinine.
    Not every remake is a bad one if they remade a movie that is good but does not have much attention I am more ok with it. Again my main gripe is that I wish they would take a chance with something a tad bit different. Almost everything has been done so it takes some creativity to put a different view on it.

  14. #14
    On Vacation

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Omsk
    Posts
    2,214
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    The highway chase scene in Transformers uses the exact same footage as The Island.

  15. #15
    Indy Talent

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The States by way of Ireland
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    92

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suffy View Post
    O no poor you...you have to listen to commercials!!!! Gasp...how awful and devastating...man up.

    Seriously no one is sitting you down, making you pay 10$ to see the remake. No one is coming to your house and stealing your dvd copy of the original. Just ignore it, it's quite simple. But to get upset/angry/emotional in the slightest over a remake movie is just asinine.
    Sorry but I'll agree with Big Papa, DVR or PVR, is about the best technology since sliced bread. Especially for those that just have limited time frames to watch said programming.

    About the remakes, well some remakes are on the 'OK' list to at least attempt to remake but there are a select few that should never ever be touched again. Those select few getting remade and the ensuing rage by the fan bases of said few isn't foolish it's warranted. Some of us view certain movies as legacies and certainly much more than just a way in which to spend a couple of hours of our time. Certainly on the other side of the coin I'm sure some don't and I feel bad for those folks because if movies, by in large, don't invoke emotion then why in the world are you even watching in the first place.

    Some examples of movies that should NEVER be remade are:
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • Scarface
    • Taxi Driver
    • Platoon
    • Gone With The Wind
    • Wizard of Oz
    I'm sure if I thought more profoundly on that I could come up with a few others but those are the ones that come to mind in a flash.
    Last edited by MorbidTakerFan; 03-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.







    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post


    Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses


  16. #16
    Squash Fodder

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Sorry but I'll agree with Big Papa, DVR or PVR, is about the best technology since sliced bread. Especially for those that just have limited time frames to watch said programming.

    About the remakes, well some remakes are on the 'OK' list to at least attempt to remake but there are a select few that should never ever be touched again. Those select few getting remade and the ensuing rage by the fan bases of said few isn't foolish it's warranted. Some of us view certain movies as legacies and certainly much more than just a way in which to spend a couple of hours of our time. Certainly on the other side of the coin I'm sure some don't and I feel bad for those folks because if movies, by in large, don't invoke emotion then why in the world are you even watching in the first place.

    Some examples of movies that should NEVER be remade are:
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • Scarface
    • Taxi Driver
    • Platoon
    • Gone With The Wind
    • Wizard of Oz

    I'm sure if I thought more profoundly on that I could come up with a few others but those are the ones that come to mind in a flash.
    Well said you can also add 2001 A Space Odyssey to the list.

  17. #17
    once more with feeling
    The Natural's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,177
    Rep Power
    1290

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suffy View Post
    I've learnt that it makes absolutely zero sense to get made when Hollywood remakes a "classic"
    This is okay if you've isolated yourself from society. I have not (yet). So I still have to deal with "people." And it will always concern me when artistic and/or educational materials are phased out with less intellectually-satisfying versions for capital gain. The capital gain bit irks me, but my real problem lies with anti-intellectualism.

    This is why I have no issue with "American Wedding" but feel that "Little Fockers" can go fock itself.




  18. #18
    No

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    5,373
    Rep Power
    90

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Once again it's not as if people are taking all the old copies and replacing them with the newer version, you can still enjoy it and just say "**** the new version, I do not have to watch it"



  19. #19
    once more with feeling
    The Natural's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,177
    Rep Power
    1290

    Re: Hollywood losing creativity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suffy View Post
    Once again it's not as if people are taking all the old copies and replacing them with the newer version, you can still enjoy it and just say "**** the new version, I do not have to watch it"
    Obviously.

    Once again this is less about enjoyment and more about cultural value.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •