Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official SmackDown Discussion Thread - March 2012

GMT Admin

Status

Smackdown The Official SmackDown Discussion Thread - March 2012

WWE Smackdown - 2nd March 2012

ORTON RETURNS TO TAKE ON BRYAN
    6 days before the Elimination Chamber, The World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan interrupted a singles match between The Big Show and Randy Orton, making a statement to both superstars by hitting them in the head with the title belt. The shot to the head would have serious consequences for Orton as he was diagnosed with concussion, leaving Smackdown General Manager Teddy Long with no choice but to pull Randy Orton out of the chamber match for the World Heavyweight Championship, ruining his chance of being in a title match at Wrestlemania. With Orton out of action, Bryan went on to sucessfully defend his championship in the chamber match, before discovering that his opponent at Wrestlemania would be The 2012 Royal Rumble winner Sheamus. As if dealing with a looming Wrestlemania match against 'The Great White' isn't enough, Bryan will have to go one on one this week against the man he put out of action 2 weeks ago, the returning Randy Orton.

CONFIRMED MATCHES

Dolph Ziggler vs Sheamus

The Big Show vs Mark Henry

Heath Slater vs Santino Marella

Eve vs Natalya

Drew McIntyre vs Justin Gabriel

Non-title
    Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton

It doesn't seem five minutes since I wrote the preview where Orton returned from injury just before The Royal Rumble, but hey ho, nevermind. Bryan v Orton sounds like an awesome match up, and a contender for MOTW.

Last edited by Ed; 03-01-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​

LUCHALUCHALUCHALUCHALUCHA

Ed's Favourite Threads

On Vacation

Status

Re: The Official SmackDown Discussion Thread - March 2012

I'm just starting to realize Orton's not even booked at WrestleMania yet... this concerns me!! That said, I can't wait for Smackdown this week. The Road to WrestleMania is a glorious time of year and Smackdown has been very entertaining.

Fire and blood

Status

For anyone interested, here's the full set of matches on the show tomorrow:

Spoiler:

Dolph Ziggler vs. Sheamus
    Big Show vs. Mark Henry
    Heath Slater vs. Santino Marella
    Eve vs. Natalya
    Drew McIntyre vs. Justin Gabriel
    Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton

On Vacation

Status

Ooh, Drew vs Justin... good chance for Justin to get a pin on someone and continue this "losing streak" angle of Drew's.

GMT Admin

Status

Thanks Shock, I added the matches to the preview. Ziggler v Sheamus sounds like it could be great.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

GMT Admin

Status

My initial reaction after watching Smackdown:

Spoiler:

**** off Kane - Anyone would have been a better Wrestlemania opponent for Orton than Kane.

I'll have more thoughts later, but seriously **** off Kane.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Cliff 'Em All

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    My initial reaction after watching Smackdown:

Spoiler:

**** off Kane - Anyone would have been a better Wrestlemania opponent for Orton than Kane.

I'll have more thoughts later, but seriously **** off Kane.
    Spoiler:

Hopefully Ryder does a run in at Mania and costs Kane the match. But hey look on the bright side, Kane/Orton had a good Street Fight on SD a while back.

Lurk & Jurk | Ribs & Salsa | Team Cyrus T

GMT Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
    Spoiler:

Hopefully Ryder does a run in at Mania and costs Kane the match. But hey look on the bright side, Kane/Orton had a good Street Fight on SD a while back.
    Spoiler:

I really feel sorry for Orton, he's had the best year of his career in ring wise, and his reward is facing the one of the only guys on the roster who puts on both terrible matches and terrible feuds. Wrestlemania was looking too awesome anyway, this was due.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

GMT Admin

Status

Random thoughts on Smackdown:

- Sheamus v Dolph Ziggler was pretty much the match of the week, both guys were top draw and this was a great way to start the show.

- Generic Santino match, looks like they've bumped him straight back down into the position he was at pre-chamber.

- Natalya now has a catchphrase to go with her farting, why are they turning this into a gimmick , looks like she's a face now so RIP Divas of Destruction

- Really loved the set up for Cody/Show, I was hoping for Rhodes v Rhodes at Wrestlemania, and it is weird to see Show look so excited for an Intercontinental Championship match after coveting the World title for the best part of 6 months, but I think this will be a fun little match at Wrestlemania. Both guys can hit a good promo so the build to their match should be enjoyable

- Henry's stock really has fallen, he even hits his finishing move and Show still kicks out, it's a shame to see Henry right back down the card again.

- Ugh on Drew getting fired, but I'm almost convinced Johnny will just give it him back next week, perhaps setting him up for Team Ace.

- Bryan's promo was great, he'd be so easy to hate if it wasn't for him being one of the best wrestlers in the world.

- Orton v Bryan was going along really well until the Kane interference, the only thing I really liked about this was when Bryan left the ring straight away and left AJ standing on her own against Kane . I've said my piece on a potential Kane v Orton match, it'll probably end up being the worst match on the card, and someone who's had such a strong in ring year like Orton really is getting short changed here, looks to be the big loser heading into Wrestlemania. Shock said it best in the SD spoilers thread, they've pretty much got nothing for Orton to do, they've done the Rhodes feud, they've done the Barrett feud, they've done the Henry feud, they've done the Christian feud, I'd have loved a match against Bryan, but they can't do that what with Sheamus' Royal Rumble win. I expect Orton to be rewarded for this lackluster WM programme by being pushed right back into the World title scene in April/May.

For those saying there was little interaction between Bryan and Sheamus to build up their match, they did both hit a promo where they touched on the match, Sheamus more than Bryan, and there still is 4 weeks to build this one up. Have patience.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Squash Fodder

Status

My thoughts to Smackdown...

interested to see where the Drew thing goes. I have a sneaking suspicion that Johnny Ace will reinstate him next week when he's on Smackdown management duty

I actually love David Otunga's gimmick. It's just like a throwback to "dual job" superstars of the early 90's (Duke the Dumpster Droese, IRS, et al). A lawyer wrestler. Everyone hates a lawyer.

I'm comfortable with Henry being where he is. Also, I think Henry is too. He's wise enough to know that everyone has a part to play. I get the feeling that his involvement in WM will be in a GM team match. Although, I have to say, slightly disappointing, much like Randy Orton after his best ever year, he doesn't have his own feud heading into the grandaddy of them all.

In fact, the more I think about it, Dolph, Del Rio, Christian, Henry, Orton have all had great years, and seem to be lost heading into WM. Sad.

But Sheamus vs Dolph was a great match. Think Sheamus will continue to get clean wins over established uppermidcarders heading into WM.

Bryan is consistently delivering the good as a heel. Who'd have thunk it a year ago?

And I just don't understand Kane's desire to get involved wit Orton???

good show overall.

Fire and blood

Status

My general thoughts are that it was a show of extreme highs and lows. Some parts, such as Bryan/Orton; Dolph/Sheamus and anything involving Cody/Big Show was really good, but then there's other "typical SmackDown" stuff like Natalya's farting, Santino and horrible attempted comedy. It's also sad to see how far Henry has fallen over the past two months - he went from being the best thing to watch on SmackDown to being a guy that is having all the good work that went into his character torn apart.

Cody is still the best promo guy in the company. And it's good to see him defending his title again.

#pipebombshell

Status

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with gripes about Henry's current position. That in the past few weeks he's been laid out by Big Show at least three times without any redemption, and lost a pointless match to Sheamus really, really sucks. He's losing his monster shine and he worked so hard to get and maintain it. I feel like he's being punished for getting injured, which is a BS move if that's the case.

As for the Kane attack on Orton, while part of me hopes (and legitimately think) it will turn into a feud into WrestleMania 28, it's perfectly plausible that the attack has no real meaning. Let's face it, he did maul the entire tag division the other day with no reason or provocation.

GMT Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    As for the Kane attack on Orton, while part of me hopes (and legitimately think) it will turn into a feud into WrestleMania 28, it's perfectly plausible that the attack has no real meaning. Let's face it, he did maul the entire tag division the other day with no reason or provocation.
    I do feel as though we've jumped to the conclusion that Kane v Orton is happening at mania, so you're probably right to point out that it's not a done deal. I think the feeling is that Orton doesn't seem to have any direction going into Wrestlemania, so when you see him get involved with Kane out of the blue, naturally you start to think of reasons why it happened.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

gonna kill you

Status

Booker T talking about the Hart family having irritable bowels was... interesting.

More interesting was watching security take away that fan's Mike Knox sign during the main event awesome.

Cliff 'Em All

Status

I lol'd at Booker calling AJ an in-house rat for some reason.

Lurk & Jurk | Ribs & Salsa | Team Cyrus T

#pipebombshell

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I do feel as though we've jumped to the conclusion that Kane v Orton is happening at mania, so you're probably right to point out that it's not a done deal. I think the feeling is that Orton doesn't seem to have any direction going into Wrestlemania, so when you see him get involved with Kane out of the blue, naturally you start to think of reasons why it happened.
    To be fair, while the entire tag team division combined couldn't take out Kane, and there's literally no explaination for it, that doesn't mean there isn't one for his actions against Orton. Hell, it's very unlikely that, this close to WrestleMania 28, two guys on the level of Orton and Kane, with nothing else to do, would get involved without it leading somewhere...

I'm just hoping it's not a one-on-one match.

Personally I was hoping the possibility of a Team Long vs. Team Ace match would come to fruition with Orton captaining Team Long, so maybe, while Kane's not a team player at the minute (clearly) he may be convinced by Johnny boy to join the cause. Maybe that's the point of Kane vs. Aksana on SmackDown next week, to tie the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Booker T talking about the Hart family having irritable bowels was... interesting.

More interesting was watching security take away that fan's Mike Knox sign during the main event awesome.
    That whole thing was awful. I would prefer Nattie to get Future-Endevoured than this.

As for the Knox sign; I noticed it and my friend and I thought it was hilarious and wondered if it was Knox himself trying to get his job back by proving there was demand for his name.

Did they really take the sign away? I didn't catch that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
    I lol'd at Booker calling AJ an in-house rat for some reason.
    That's another awful moment for Book's commentary. AJ's been linked with Bryan for months, pre-Title victory; insinuating she's a ring-rat when it's clear her feelings are genuine, while D-Bry is using her for his own gain was the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Status

I'll bet money that McIntyre comes back after Wrestlemania and goes on a two month winning streak, or wins a title his first night back.

Anyone wanna take me up on that?

#pipebombshell

Status

He'll be back before 'Mania.

On Vacation

Status

Vickie Guerrero is so awesome. Like, mecha super awesome of death awesome.

Believe

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Andy View Post
    I'll bet money that McIntyre comes back after Wrestlemania and goes on a two month winning streak, or wins a title his first night back.

Anyone wanna take me up on that?
    I have a gut feeling that Mr. Excitement is gonna reinstate him on Smackdown next Friday. Which would be incredibly awesome if that happens.

Sent from my trusty HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

"What's the boogeyman?"

Thread Information